Sue Johanson is retiring

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
Yes.....very frank talk on cable tv....a pleasant enough host and show from Totonto.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/07/t...x.ap/index.html

She's quoted in that article as saying she's going to miss playing with sex toys. Wonder what's stopping her? :blink:

As a side note, I thought she was 77 years old years ago. :P She must have had a good program, though, to have been on the air for so long.

She's quoted in that article as saying she's going to miss playing with sex toys. Wonder what's stopping her? :blink:

Her show featured a segment on toys, lubricants, etc. Manufacturers wanted to get their products featured for obvious reasons. When I was a kid these were called "marital aids"....now we don't even flinch at such terms as "jelly double dong". :lol:

Good to see her go. She made sex completely disgusting and unerotic.

Turn your lights off .

She was frank, pragmatic and full of practical information for those who could not seek it elsewhere. She had a good following of young people who could trust her answers to be nothing but truth.

She wouldnt BS about abstinence, AIDS, condoms like some <cough cough> places people like to go on Sunday mornings, (no not bowling alleys) or in schools .

If your kids listened in, they recieved great information.

Turn your lights off .

She was frank, pragmatic and full of practical information for those who could not seek it elsewhere. She had a good following of young people who could trust her answers to be nothing but truth.

She wouldnt BS about abstinence, AIDS, condoms like some <cough cough> places people like to go on Sunday mornings, (no not bowling alleys) or in schools .

If your kids listened in, they recieved great information.

She was vulgar. She de-eroticized sex turning it into a lesson on 'plumbing for hedonists.' She was far from factual, constantly stereotyping 'males' (as she likes to call them).

Guest American Woman
Her show featured a segment on toys, lubricants, etc. Manufacturers wanted to get their products featured for obvious reasons. When I was a kid these were called "marital aids"....now we don't even flinch at such terms as "jelly double dong". :lol:

Oh, ok. So she'll miss playing with them on the air, then.

I'm guessing mainstream American television would still flinch at the "jelly double dong" thing. I still can't believe the hoopla over Janet Jackson's nano-second flash of nipple. :D Although we have come a long way from the days when Lucy and Ricky had to sleep in twin beds.

She was vulgar. She de-eroticized sex turning it into a lesson on 'plumbing for hedonists.' She was far from factual, constantly stereotyping 'males' (as she likes to call them).

Ah, the old "vulgar" routine. Using words like penis, vagina, oral, anal, and the likes. How dare she!

Yes yes , well , just remember it was her talking to teens and trying to get them to be responsible with their bodies. It was her trying to get teens to abstain from "rainbow" parties . It was her the kids would get their info without the tsk tsk of say....uptight people.

Erotic :arousing or satisfying sexual desire.

Kind of dumb for kids to get into what they dont have any grasp about. She filled that void.

Above all else, one could turn the radio or TV to another channel.

I'm guessing mainstream American television would still flinch at the "jelly double dong" thing. I still can't believe the hoopla over Janet Jackson's nano-second flash of nipple. :D Although we have come a long way from the days when Lucy and Ricky had to sleep in twin beds.

I don't know about that...women have been a driving force in bringing such products out of the shadows....from sex toy parties (like Tupperware parties) to franchise stores which sell complete lines of "romance" products and DVDs (e.g. Fantasy House). Sexual emancipation means that products will find their market without the "shame" of the past. I can walk into any big box grocery store and buy products for sex and contraception just like buying a loaf of bread. And I don't need to tell you about the plethora of "ED" pill ads on TV.

Every weekend at late night two young ladies sell high tech vibrator toys (aka "bunnies" or "rabbits") on my cable network....it's not Pay Per View. :lol:

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Ah, the old "vulgar" routine. Using words like penis, vagina, oral, anal, and the likes. How dare she!

Yes yes , well , just remember it was her talking to teens and trying to get them to be responsible with their bodies. It was her trying to get teens to abstain from "rainbow" parties . It was her the kids would get their info without the tsk tsk of say....uptight people.

Uh, yeah and we all know (except apparently you) how successful she was at getting teens to be responsible...Did you learn a lot about how the plumbing works from the old bat? What was your favorite episode?

I can walk into any big box grocery store and buy products for sex and contraception just like buying a loaf of bread. And I don't need to tell you about the plethora of "ED" pill ads on TV.

Every weekend at late night two young ladies sell high tech vibrator toys (aka "bunnies" or "rabbits") on my cable network....it's not Pay Per View. :lol:

Great image.

And just about as exciting.

Guest American Woman

This is in reply to Bush_cheney2004. The board won't let me quote him:

They may not be selling those bunnies on Pay Per View, but they're not on mainstream networks, either. And even on cable, shows like Sex and the City and Dexter are majorly edited. "how about a blow job" becomes "how about a date."

But we have come a long way. I agree with that. It's good that people can enjoy sex without shame and it's great that they can buy contraceptives without shame. I'm sure that's helped prevent a few unplanned pregnancies. And if women have been a driving force behind all that, I say 'yay for us!' :)

Guest American Woman

quote=guyser: Ah, the old "vulgar" routine. Using words like penis, vagina, oral, anal, and the likes. How dare she!

This reminds me of the book my parents gave me to read to learn about the facts of life. Instead of saying "penis," the book referred to "the man's hot-dog-like appendage." To this day I remember the confusion I had when I read that. I didn't know if they were referring to the penis or if a man had some other body part I didn't know about.

It's definitely good to have someone who will speak frankly to kids about sex. I kind of wish I had seen her show about "rainbow parties" so I'd know what they are. :P

Anyway, after the book I was given, I decided I'd always talk frankly to my kids about sex and body parts, and I always did-- from early on. Not all kids have that though, and it sounds as if Sue Johanson did fill that void for some teens. Good for her.

Uh, yeah and we all know (except apparently you) how successful she was at getting teens to be responsible...Did you learn a lot about how the plumbing works from the old bat? What was your favorite episode?

Apparently you dont know. We have been marginally succcesful at getting teen pregnancy rates down . Have been for decades. (Applies to CDN/USA) If it is any consolation , Sue has been on our airwaves for decades now and we have a rate of teen pregnancy less than half of our neighbours , and of Britain. She can take a bow for her part in that.

Nah, Sue didnt teach me much of anything. But since I was already in my 20's and living with a lovely young women who loved to experiment , I didnt have the need for her info . But hey, she was good to listen to and a few things could always be learned from her.

My favourite episode?...Hmm...probably the one about the rigid uptight conservative . He had to go to the dog pound and study the canines. Apparently his wife wanted a new position.

Was it the ASPCA or OSPCA ?

Cheers.

Hi guyser,

I had referenced Sue's success at getting teens to be responsible, I wasn't referring to pregnancies in particular. Responsible in terms of sex would include dangerous sex, sex in public, sex with strangers, while under the influence of some substance (which could leave you open to rape,etc) among other behaviours. Oh, and don't be so naive to think teenage pregnancy rates are down because of Sue, or education.

Didn't learn anything from Sue? I bet the old bat taught you a lot about sex toys.

Apparently you dont know. We have been marginally succcesful at getting teen pregnancy rates down . Have been for decades. (Applies to CDN/USA) If it is any consolation , Sue has been on our airwaves for decades now and we have a rate of teen pregnancy less than half of our neighbours , and of Britain. She can take a bow for her part in that.

I doubt there's any evidence Sue stopped teens from gettng pregnant. Our teen pregnancy rate compared to the US and Britain has little to do with birth control information and everything to do with disintegration of the family (particularly the black family) in the United States and in Britain.

Hi guyser,

I had referenced Sue's success at getting teens to be responsible, I wasn't referring to pregnancies in particular. Responsible in terms of sex would include dangerous sex, sex in public, sex with strangers, while under the influence of some substance (which could leave you open to rape,etc) among other behaviours. Oh, and don't be so naive to think teenage pregnancy rates are down because of Sue, or education.

Didn't learn anything from Sue? I bet the old bat taught you a lot about sex toys.

Fair enough on the first count.

Dangerous sex fall under her mandate too . The most obvious being anal sex. She was frank about the pitfalls of that and taught what to do if so inclined.

Sex in public is irresponsible? Maybe in a playground in front of kids on the swing , but that is more a legal issue than a sex issue. Uh oh, I better not talk about sex on a dock at night.....like Saturday night? Well it is public, but I am pretty sure there was no one else around. Just the two of us.

Rape, roofies , all things she talked about.

As for her being responsible for diminshed teen rates, I dont think I ever opined she was . She certainly was a contributing factor to that drop.

Canadian education should get some kudos too. And to go along with that we should be glad we are not heavily influenced by religious teachings in our schools. Our rate of teen pregnancy is less than half of what the US rate is.

How could that be? Perhaps since we are not a nation of church goers , somewhere around 17 or 18% vs 50% in the States, our kids are not hearig the tired old refrain of "abstinence is all you need to know" . Maybe the kids are at home listening to Sue.

Actually I recall an episode on sex toys. It was great. Went out later and my girlfriend wanted one she featured. We had a blast.

Is there some sort of hangup I should know about when it comes to sex toys? No harm no foul. Clean it off , replace the batteries , and tuck it in the drawer.

S'all good my man. Believe me !!

I doubt there's any evidence Sue stopped teens from gettng pregnant. Our teen pregnancy rate compared to the US and Britain has little to do with birth control information and everything to do with disintegration of the family (particularly the black family) in the United States and in Britain.

Definitively? Probably not.

As for the disintegration of the family I would think that is erroneous.

It would be akin to saying, my mommy and daddy split. I need to get pregnant.

Look at the church, education system, lack of services for information. All things I feel we do better as respects sex education.

The Catholic Church is doing its job to keep AIDS mushrooming in Africa. Sue needs to be broadcast there too .

Guyser, I kept waiting for you to mention the main factor for birthrates, but you didn't. In Canada, our birthrates are actually dangerously low. We are not having enough children to even maintain our population levels. Abortions are one reason why.

anyway, I suppose my main point, that teens aren't any more responsible towards sex now than say 20 years ago stands. Use sex toys all you want, but I wouldn't advise going to a dog pound for ideas.

Definitively? Probably not.

As for the disintegration of the family I would think that is erroneous.

It would be akin to saying, my mommy and daddy split. I need to get pregnant.

Look at the church, education system, lack of services for information. All things I feel we do better as respects sex education.

The Catholic Church is doing its job to keep AIDS mushrooming in Africa. Sue needs to be broadcast there too .

That's exactly what happens. There is no family and you get pregnant to create your own because you want the unconditional love your parents denied you by divorcing one another (or not even being together in the first place).

This society has more information available to it than any before it in history yet the problem of teen pregnancy persists and children are having sex at a lower and lower age. We should not assume that information means wise choices. Her 'non-judgmenta' sexual 'counselling' is the problem; it is an open door to abuse of sexuality.

Erotic :arousing or satisfying sexual desire.

Kind of dumb for kids to get into what they dont have any grasp about. She filled that void.

Above all else, one could turn the radio or TV to another channel.

I liked her, she was funny, in this weird sort of grandma way.

and no nonsense at all.

what you say guyser, penis and vagina, oh me , oh my, how very correct.