Ideally, What Should The Canadian Political Spectrum Look Like ?

Do you support the status-quo 2-party domination (similar to the US system) ? "Liberals or Conservatives" is as similarly a limited 'choice' as "Democrat or Republican" is.

Or, would you like to see a more diverse ideological choice available possibly under multi-party proportional representation ? Imagine this...

NDP - Green - Labour - Liberal - Conservative - Libertarian

Imo, there would be much more voter participation (all the european, scandinavian and australian elections have more parties and higher voter participation) and less chance of one party to dominate.

Any parties I missed you'd like to add ?

Do you support the status-quo 2-party domination (similar to the US system) ? "Liberals or Conservatives" is as similarly a limited 'choice' as "Democrat or Republican" is.

Or, would you like to see a more diverse ideological choice available possibly under multi-party proportional representation ? Imagine this...

Imo, there would be much more voter participation (all the european, scandinavian and australian elections have more parties and higher voter participation) and less chance of one party to dominate.

Given we are into the umpteenth year of minority gov'ts...I think your point is moot. Personally I think we are better off if Citizens who are too unmotivated to vote, say because it's raining stay home. They obviously don't have opinions worthy of expressing via the ballot and there health will benefit by staying dry.

When you think " Italy " , do you mean pre-electoral reform proportional representation, or post-electoral reform mixed-member proportional? Were we to have some sort of proportional representation in Canada, it would likely be mixed-member proportional or single transferable vote, both of which can be adjusted to keep out miniscule parties, crazy or not.

Could it be that the citizens stay in on the day of election because they see no point in voting; i.e supporting one of the two main parties, which, at least at this time, appear so alike; and realizing that chances of anybody else to make any impact are solid zero?

There are 2 major parties in Canada, because that is what the majority wants or votes, if the greens and NDP had anything to bring to the table then they to would be part of the status quo....Hard enough to get one party of like minded people to agree to party lines can you imagine what it would be like with 50 different agendas....

political parties of Canada

Ya, I agree. 2 parties? the NDP has been around for 18 elections and haven't even made it to the Opposition benches. There's two principal parties because that's what Canadians vote for. I have voted Green the last two Federal elections...it's on the ballot in all ridings....even the Marxist-Lenonist is still on the ballot in some ridings.

If folks don't vote then so be it. It's up to THEM to start this so-called popular party that non-voters will support. Others have done it....BQ, Reform, etc. and gained national status. Then again, if somene can't get off their ass and vote, then they sure don't have the energy to actually do something proactive.

As for parliament, I like it the way it is. A minority in which any 2 of the 4 parties can bring the governmnet down at anytime. Sure beats the quasi-dictatorships of Mulroney and Chretien.

I think there should be a online forum of citizens who have fulfilled a basic requirement for political savvy and that those citizens should have the power to recruit proxies from a certain of number of other citizens who did not fulfill the requirement. The number should be kept very small so we don't end up with the same damned party mess we have now. Political parties are just not the way to go. You end up with fossilization.

I tend to agree with the others who have posted. The majority of the general public doesn't think that any of the other parties would do a good job representing Canada and doesn't think it's respective leaders would be very good Prime Ministers.

Oh, I almost forgot. To the other poster...we haven't had "umpteenth" minority governments in a row, we have had two. One Liberal with Paul Martin and now one with the Conservatives in power with Steven Harper holding the office of the Prime Minister.

Edited by Spicy.Pringles

I like the idea of voting for who I think will govern the country in a manner I prefer.

The Liberal and Conservative party's obviouslly gain the support of many voters and Lo! They hold many seats in parliament.

The more pary's running the better. Minority governments represent the results of elections just as much as majority governments.

They are both good because they reflect the general will of the voting public. Sometimes that means that there is no consensus about policy.

I am surprised that there are those who wish that hidden as if it didn't exist or that government should act as if it didn't exist. To my mind

that is very undemocratic.

If I believe the Marxist-Leninists are the ones to best represent my concerns why in the hell would I vote for someone else? And if there is no one of the ML party running in my riding then I'd best get off my ass and run myself or find someone to run for them.

...unless it's raining, of course.