RCMP raids Tory party headquarters

NDP Sleaze.

Valley Liberal wins NDP apology

Fired by Paul Martin team on false claim

John Bermingham, The Province

Published: Friday, December 07, 2007

After being turned into election roadkill over a false allegation, a former Abbotsford Liberal candidate wants the federal party and former prime minister Paul Martin to formally apologize to him.

David Oliver, 52, was fired by Martin during the 2006 federal election campaign after the local New Democratic Party candidate claimed that Oliver offered him a bribe to drop out of the race.

Yesterday, the NDP apologized in the House of Commons to both Oliver and his former campaign manager, Gordie Kahlon, after settling their lawsuit, which included undisclosed damages

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sto...c8-978372921775

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such loyalty to one's party and principles. Do you have a reason for having a split mind on which party to support?

Not everyone is a narrow-minded partisan hack who wouldn't criticize their party no matter how many times the RCMP broke down its doors.

Not everyone is a narrow-minded partisan hack who wouldn't criticize their party no matter how many times the RCMP broke down its doors.

Now Bubber don't get carried away. Never have I seen the RCMP breaking down the doors of any Conservative Party office. I see you're elated over this story but do try to stay within the realm of reality.

Citation that they were informed before?
Will you accept Don Martin?
The real interesting part, which has a lot of Conservative MPs in a lather, is how two camera crews magically surfaced to stake out both floors rented by the Conservative party within minutes of the search warrant being executed.

The RCMP cruisers were unmarked and the police scanner didn't broadcast the "visit", so unless CBC journalists are telepathic, the only plausible explanation is that they were tipped by Elections Canada.

And being dedicated Newsworld watchers, gleeful Liberals armed with their own cameras were scrambled to record the "visitation" within minutes of the news being broadcast.

Don Martin

Here's how Tonda Maccharles reported it:

During the search, least two Mounties were seen entering the party offices on the 12th floor of the downtown building. A short time later, a plainclothes officer moved to a 17th-floor mailroom.

Reporters, camera operators, photographers and even Liberal party researchers showed up when news of the raid began to spread. A photographer for the Liberal party of Canada was videotaping the raid.

Toronto Star

How disingenuous! (...when news began to spread... )

Citation that all parties did this in the last election?

Here's an example from your beloved Liberals:

A Liberal party brought low by Adscam would dearly love to uncover a Conservative corruption scandal, but this ain't it. The allegations centre on the Tories passing off national advertising costs as regional ads for local candidates. It is being looked at by the Elections Commissioner but even a cursory reading of the Elections Act suggests the line between "national" and "local" is cloaked in hodden grey.

To make matters worse for Mr. Dion, one of his own has now been caught in spending allegations. The Province newspaper alleges that Blair Wilson, MP for West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast, has left of a trail of unpaid debts, controversial business dealings and election spending abuses. None of the allegations have been proven, but the article quotes Mr. Wilson's father-in-law (who claims he is owed nearly $2-million) as saying the MP is "not fit for public office."

John Ivison

Or how about this?

----

As opposed to recent Liberal history, the Tories have done nothing morally wrong and they have not misused taxpayer money in any way. It is hard not to see this as anything but partisan sniping from the Ottawa bureaucracy - at the behest of the Liberal Party. This is hardball politics the way people like Warren Kinsella and Karl Rove play it.

Edited by August1991

So it's Elections Canada in collusion with the Opposition and (who else?) the RCMP and maybe the media. But still no source indicating the Libs were there before the raid started.

Possibly, don't know, but it appears that in order to save face from a possible court loss, Elections Canada has taken the tack of defaming the CPC in the media. Bet it'll teach Harper not to appoint Liberal bureacrats ever again.

And why is it still being reported as an RCMP raid, when it clearly was not. Elections Canada said the RCMP was acting on a request by Commissioner of Elections William Corbett, confirming they were only providing assistance to the agency, not conducting their own probe.

Was it a setup for a photo-op?

The Toronto Star reports:

...A videographer hired by the Liberals was present as the raid was carried out, alongside mainstream media camera crews documenting the incident...

Edited by scriblett

...A videographer hired by the Liberals was present as the raid was carried out, alongside mainstream media camera crews documenting the incident...

Why did you ignore the phrase that August quoted: "...showed up when news of the raid began to spread"?

Perhaps because it exposes your allegation that they were there beforehand as a typical attempt to deflect attention from illegal CPC activity by smearing anyone who might be nearby?

Will you accept Don Martin?

Don Martin

Actually, I don't accept it. Tory MP John Williams says the camera crews were there before the RCMP and Elections Canada arrived. That is completely bogus. Even Martin said they arrived within minutes. Liberal HQ is just down the street. Most news offices are close as well.

I'm sure every Tory with a Blackberry was wiring someone about what was happening and within minutes every news crew would have been there.

Here's an example from your beloved Liberals:John Ivison

Or how about this?

----

As opposed to recent Liberal history, the Tories have done nothing morally wrong and they have not misused taxpayer money in any way. It is hard not to see this as anything but partisan sniping from the Ottawa bureaucracy - at the behest of the Liberal Party. This is hardball politics the way people like Warren Kinsella and Karl Rove play it.

Blair Wilson resigned from the Liberal caucus until the matter is resolved.

I welcome any investigation by Elections Canada into Garth Turner. Last I heard was that the issue had been resolved.

Harper appointed Elections Canada's present head. As per usual the right wing is trying to indicate that there is a conspiracy involved and that the guy does the bidding of the Liberals. Is there no end to how far right wingers will stoop?

I asked for an example "in and out" that several Tories here have said every party does and I haven't seen one example. This is just part of a sleazy, paranoid and vitriolic campaign by a party that is not transparent and is full of crap on the issue of election spending.

Edited by jdobbin

Possibly, don't know, but it appears that in order to save face from a possible court loss, Elections Canada has taken the tack of defaming the CPC in the media. Bet it'll teach Harper not to appoint Liberal bureacrats ever again.

Total and outrageous lie once again. Citation that he is a Liberal bureaucrat?

And why is it still being reported as an RCMP raid, when it clearly was not. Elections Canada said the RCMP was acting on a request by Commissioner of Elections William Corbett, confirming they were only providing assistance to the agency, not conducting their own probe.

The RCMP have been squirming about their involvement the last two days. I suppose after their last election where they influenced the vote, they are a little wary. If Elections Canada recommends charges are laid, then it will be an RCMP investigation.

Was it a setup for a photo-op?

Who by all accounts arrived after the search had begun. What howlers the right wing tell.

Call a public inquiry rather than use smear tactics. The Tories obviously think that Elections Canada is corrupt. They should tell the Solicitor-General to send the RCMP to Elections Canada offices to find this leak!

I think Canadians are being mislead by a media hungry for a headline and by foolish observers like those on this forum.

The Conservatives haven't taken any money. They are suing Elections Canada for ripping them off. This raid is hugely undemocratic. When an elections commission raids political offices that are suing them for wrong doing, you generally think of Zimbabwe or Malawi. I really don't think of Canada. But today, you do. Elections Canada is intimidating the CPC into dropping their suit. Silly.

The fact that the RCMP and Elections Canada called the Liberals and CBC to film it is further evidence, quite priceless.

This is clearly the most undemocratic thing I've seen in a long time. Bureaucrats threating political parties with force and police when they are sued. Yikes.

Claiming rebates (paid from your taxes mind) on transactions that weren't eligible isn't misusing tax payers money??

Please to explain my friend.

RCMP commissioner Bill Elliott said the RCMP has a "longstanding memorandum of understanding" to assist Elections Canada, and insisted his officers were simply complying with a request.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/415025#

For all we know, this MOU recommends that the RCMP accompany Elections Canada on all occasions where a warrant is issued. I read somewhere that one of the top Elections Canada official involved is ex-RCMP but I can't find the link. This warrant provided an opportunity to pass on a rather interesting assignment to some of his ex-co-workers.

But there is no doubt that the optics are very bad for the government and the Libs will use the film footage they took in the next election campaign. I mean if you don't have a credible policy platform, this will do nicely.

Edited by capricorn

I think Canadians are being mislead by a media hungry for a headline and by foolish observers like those on this forum.

The Conservatives haven't taken any money. They are suing Elections Canada for ripping them off. This raid is hugely undemocratic. When an elections commission raids political offices that are suing them for wrong doing, you generally think of Zimbabwe or Malawi. I really don't think of Canada. But today, you do. Elections Canada is intimidating the CPC into dropping their suit. Silly.

The fact that the RCMP and Elections Canada called the Liberals and CBC to film it is further evidence, quite priceless.

This is clearly the most undemocratic thing I've seen in a long time. Bureaucrats threating political parties with force and police when they are sued. Yikes.

What a pack of lies the right wing tell. RCMP and Elections Canada called the Liberals? Omigod... what paranoia.

Elections Canada obviously had a judge sign a search warrant. You had better blame a Liberal judiciary as well!

For all we know, this MOU recommends that the RCMP accompany Elections Canada on all occasions where a warrant is issued. I read somewhere that one of the top Elections Canada official involved is ex-RCMP but I can't find the link. This warrant provided an opportunity to pass on a rather interesting assignment to some of his ex-co-workers.

But there is no doubt that the optics are very bad for the government and the Libs will use the film footage they took in the next election campaign. I mean if you don't have a credible policy platform, this will do nicely.

Well, we have already heard the RCMP have no policies in place for anything according to the RCMP Complaints Commissioner. They probably make it up as they go.

Yes, those pictures will do nicely. With the latest polls showing the Tories slipping in Ontario, this might be the something that does the same thing in Quebec and beyond.

Well, we have already heard the RCMP have no policies in place for anything according to the RCMP Complaints Commissioner. They probably make it up as they go.

Yes, those pictures will do nicely. With the latest polls showing the Tories slipping in Ontario, this might be the something that does the same thing in Quebec and beyond.

Yeah, they should get Robert Mugabe to do the voice over...

Total and outrageous lie once again. Citation that he is a Liberal bureaucrat?
Corbett is a lifelong public servant and a former criminal prosecutor for the federal Department of Justice.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.ht...e4-4edc2c042d17

Considering how long the Liberals were in government and Corbett's service in the upper echelons was served under their administration, it's safe to say that Corbett is a Liberal bureaucrat. That's why it was a mistake for Harper to appoint him Elections Commissioner in the first place.

Claiming rebates (paid from your taxes mind) on transactions that weren't eligible isn't misusing tax payers money??

Please to explain my friend.

It is hard to imagine how two Elections Commissioners both appointed by the Tories are being criticized as being partisan for the Liberals. What a bunch of hogwash from the right wing who think that by attacking the media, public servants, the Opposition and anyone else will somehow divert from their gameplaying in the last election.

Edited by jdobbin

Considering how long the Liberals were in government and Corbett's service in the upper echelons was served under their administration, it's safe to say that Corbett is a Liberal bureaucrat. That's why it was a mistake for Harper to appoint him Elections Commissioner in the first place.

What a bunch of lies by a desperate and paranoid right wing Tory party. He was not a political staffer and was appointed by the Tories just like the last Election Commissioner was appointed by the Tories.

Basically the Tory argument is that anyone who was a bureaucrat under the Liberals is a Liberal. What tripe.

Typical smear campaign by the right wing who hate the civil service, the judiciary and the media.

It is hard to imagine how tow Elections Commissioners both appointed by the Tories are being criticized as being partisan for the Liberals. What a bunch of hogwash from the right wing who think that by attacking the media, public servants, the Opposition and anyone else will somehow divert from their gameplaying in the last election.

Game playing is the soul of politics. As a die-hard Liberal partisan you should know that by now.

It's looking more and more like the Liberals had it right after all. Appoint your friends and your ass will be protected.

What a bunch of lies by a desperate and paranoid right wing Tory party. He was not a political staffer and was appointed by the Tories just like the last Election Commissioner was appointed by the Tories.

I see "lies" and "liars" are your words du jour.

Who said he was a political staffer? You're exerting yourself over things that were not said. Get a grip.

Basically the Tory argument is that anyone who was a bureaucrat under the Liberals is a Liberal. What tripe.

Here you go exaggerating again. The Conservatives actually have a few friends in the bureaucracy.

It is oh so obvious you do not reside in Ottawa and have not spent your career in the public service. The Liberal-friendly bureaucracy was carefully crafted over the years through generous collective agreement settlements and perks. This reminds me of the majority of immigrants who won't vote for any other party. Gratitude runs deep.

Typical smear campaign by the right wing who hate the civil service, the judiciary and the media.

Hate is a pretty harsh word. Suspicion would be more appropriate.

The RCMP have been squirming about their involvement the last two days. I suppose after their last election where they influenced the vote, they are a little wary. If Elections Canada recommends charges are laid, then it will be an RCMP investigation.
Elections Canada has an understanding with the RCMP that if they require assistance, then the RCMP will help them. That understanding was invoked now.

There was no need for such heavy-handed tactics and if you believe that camera crews just happened to show up to film the proceedings then you're even more partisan than I am.

This is a set-up to embarrass the Conservatives. I don't really think it will work though because nobody doubts Stephen Harper's integrity. One can't say the same for the Liberal Party of Canada.

Apparently not Scriblett. As a CPC supporter, the party that apparently think they own the concept of integrity, I would figure you would be upset by this scam and the theft of your tax dollars?

I support the conservative party and conservative principle.

I do not support the people who did this and those that were responsible and feel that they should step down for doing what they did. That includes Harper.

I find this very serious that this 'open corruption' is taking place at our HIGHEST level of govt right before our eyes. I would actually consider this to be worse than adscam (which is a daily occurance in Canada).

This is beyond being partisan. We have our own highest level of politicians using legal loopholes to fund their ads to win elections and exploit our own laws in an ill contempt.

Elections Canada has an understanding with the RCMP that if they require assistance, then the RCMP will help them. That understanding was invoked now.

There was no need for such heavy-handed tactics and if you believe that camera crews just happened to show up to film the proceedings then you're even more partisan than I am.

This is a set-up to embarrass the Conservatives. I don't really think it will work though because nobody doubts Stephen Harper's integrity. One can't say the same for the Liberal Party of Canada.

I personally don't care who assisted the raid. All I know is a judge signed a search warrant and obviously thought there was cause. I guess the right wing can now call this judge a partisan hack now.

If you believe Elections Canada called the Liberals, you are even more paranoid than I thought. If you do think that the Liberals were tipped off, Elections Canada is too corrupt to oversee the next election and the Tories should call the Solicitor-General to raid Elections Canada offices and then fire the Chief Electoral Officer.

I guess we'll see how people regard Harper's integrity in the next little while.

I see "lies" and "liars" are your words du jour.

Who said he was a political staffer? You're exerting yourself over things that were not said. Get a grip.

You call him a Liberal bureaucrat. He was also a Tory one. Harper felt comfortable enough to appoint him. The right wing should get a grip and stop smearing their own appointees by trying to call them partisan for the Liberals.

Here you go exaggerating again. The Conservatives actually have a few friends in the bureaucracy.

Really? When has Harper indicated that? You're going off script.

It is oh so obvious you do not reside in Ottawa and have not spent your career in the public service. The Liberal-friendly bureaucracy was carefully crafted over the years through generous collective agreement settlements and perks. This reminds me of the majority of immigrants who won't vote for any other party. Gratitude runs deep.

The Tories recently gave huge bonuses to the civil service. Those ungrateful SOBs!

In any event, you are still smearing Corbett as Liberal-friendly.

Hate is a pretty harsh word. Suspicion would be more appropriate.

Funny how Harper didn't have suspicions about Corbett.