----------------------------

Come and meet those dancing feet,

On the avenue I'm taking you to,

Forty-Second Street.

Hear the beat of dancing feet,

It's the song I love the melody of,

Forty-Second Street.

---42nd Street

If you listen to the guitar at the beginning of MIA, Paper Planes it's identical to the guitar at the beginning of The Clash, Straight To Hell. The real difference is that Straight To Hell is a much better song.

Too bad that contemporary artists keep lifting the work of others who preceded them.

If you listen to the guitar at the beginning of MIA, Paper Planes it's identical to the guitar at the beginning of The Clash, Straight To Hell. The real difference is that Straight To Hell is a much better song.

Too bad that contemporary artists keep lifting the work of others who preceded them.

You're right! No wonder I thought I'd heard it before my wife played it for me. Good catch.

:lol::lol:

Here...I'll change my first one then:

----------------------------------

Arf, Arf...

Even after all these years I still enjoy the Clash, some of their songs were timeless, Police And Thieves, London Calling et al. Right now I'm listening to a mixed playlist, Fat Bottomed Girls, Crew Slut, Godzilla, and so on.

Thats one reason I love computers so much, the music options are pretty much endless. I even found a legal site where you can download almost the full catalogue of an obscure artist called Happy Rhoades. Her style is a mixture of Kate Bush and Annie Lennox, she's astounding. The first time I heard her I thought I was listening to some lost recording of the two aforementioned singers, the song was When the Rain came Down, its a very good song.

Combine a good sound card like an SB X-FI with speakers like the Klipsch Pro Media Ultras and you get good sound (not Audiophile, but very good nonetheless), or you could just run out to your stereo's inputs. I like to keep my stereo and computer systems seperate though.

Even after all these years I still enjoy the Clash, some of their songs were timeless, Police And Thieves, London Calling et al. Right now I'm listening to a mixed playlist, Fat Bottomed Girls, Crew Slut, Godzilla, and so on.

Thats one reason I love computers so much, the music options are pretty much endless. I even found a legal site where you can download almost the full catalogue of an obscure artist called Happy Rhoades. Her style is a mixture of Kate Bush and Annie Lennox, she's astounding. The first time I heard her I thought I was listening to some lost recording of the two aforementioned singers, the song was When the Rain came Down, its a very good song.

Combine a good sound card like an SB X-FI with speakers like the Klipsch Pro Media Ultras and you get good sound (not Audiophile, but very good nonetheless), or you could just run out to your stereo's inputs. I like to keep my stereo and computer systems seperate though.

I was a small-beans promoter on the Canadian indie circut in the 90s. Did over 300 shows...some of them good...lol. No Means No, Mystery Machine, DOA, etc etc. Every Sunday as well, myself and a few others ran a Coffeehouse. Ran it all on grants. Good times...

-----------------------------------------------

If you can play on the fiddle

How's about a British jig and reel?

Speaking King's English in quotation

As railhead towns feel the steel mills rust water froze

---The Clash

Edited by DogOnPorch

myself and a few others ran a Coffeehouse. Ran it all on grants. Good times...

You just made me think of Schmaels Place. It was a Coffeehouse in London On back in the mid seventies. He used to get some very good acts in, mostly folk though. There was another great place I used to go but I've just had a major brain fart and for the life of me I cant remember the name, its right on the tip of my tongue, piss me off. I saw Peter Gabriel do a set there once and they also got guys like FM & Nash The Slash, Asia , Saga (when they first started).

It was a great place, what the hell was it called? Arghhhh...

Your promoting explains how you know of the Butt Hole Surfers, most people I talk to have never even heard of them.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

You just made me think of Schmaels Place. It was a Coffeehouse in London On back in the mid seventies. He used to get some very good acts in, mostly folk though. There was another great place I used to go but I've just had a major brain fart and for the life of me I cant remember the name, its right on the tip of my tongue, piss me off. I saw Peter Gabriel do a set there once and they also got guys like FM & Nash The Slash, Asia , Saga (when they first started).

It was a great place, what the hell was it called? Arghhhh...

Your promoting explains how you know of the Butt Hole Surfers, most people I talk to have never even heard of them.

Aye...worked in a trendy record store at the same time, so I had plenty of access to 'strange things'. You're from the East? Do you recall a Hamilton band King Cobb Steelie? I was really a fan of them for their brief go...

By far my favorite was the combo of both Grant Lawrence and the Smugglers with Nardwaur the Human Serviette and his Evaporators. Mint Record stuff. Grant is on CBC now as well as in the Smugglers.

http://www.nardwuar.com/

http://www.thesmugglers.com/

http://www.mintrecs.com/

Nardwuar's interviews are side-splitters at times. Strange fellow...great entertainer. The teen crowds especially loved him. Got everybody INVOLVED...lol.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm being cared for by punks!

---Nardwuar during a hospital stay

what a clash fan???? what?

my favourite clash song. Guns of Brixton-

when they kick out your front door, how you gonna come?

come on Angus?

next line......................

I love em both.

Hawkins just has so many chops. I loved that the Band brought him on stage to sing "Who do you love" at their Last Waltz concert. Robbie Robertson just has so much class. I loved his intro for Hawkins. He talked about when Hawkins hired him into the Hawks. "You won't make much money, but you're gonna get more pussy than you can shake a stick at." Rock and Roll classic.

But Cohen. What a poet. Who else could coax so much out of such a limited vocal range? A master. Really a major talent. His lyrics are just incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have never heard of Ronnie Hawkins but was introduced to Leonard Cohen 3 years ago - at first I didn't take to the music, but now admit there is something finer in songs that almost have a conversation and speak to you that makes you appreciate a great artist.

I guess its the sometimes dark lyrics of longing for things that never will come, promises never kept, waiting for people you love who never show, incites imagery that exhaust the mind and insists that we take it easy, slow down, take a break - have a bite to eat...that's the sort of emotion he invokes

I mean other music makes you want to dance, sing, play along....people who are depressed shouldn't listen to some of Cohen music it hardly reconciles a happy ending.

• 3 weeks later...

Sampling is not uncommon within the rap/hip hop genre. If that was not the intention in that song, then it's just sad.

But Cohen. What a poet. Who else could coax so much out of such a limited vocal range? A master. Really a major talent. His lyrics are just incredible.

Cohen's secret is his back up singers who manage the range for him.

Sampling is not uncommon within the rap/hip hop genre. If that was not the intention in that song, then it's just sad.

I'm aware. You be the judge...

To be fair, she remakes a lot of old tunes.

and such. Even her song 'Jimmy' is from a Bollywood musical.

She's much, much prettier than Joe Strummer, though...lol.

Here's

...playing with Emmylou Harris who is indeed guilty of lifting Anna's 'Goin' Back To Harlen'...but nobody seems to mind...

:lol:

--------------------------------------

We popped the heads off dandelions

Assuming roles from nursery rhymes

Rested on the riverbank

And grew up by and by...

---Anna McGarrigle

Hmmmm, no Kate Bush or Annie Lennox fans. You want to talk about great vocal range you really should listen to Kate.

As for lyrics, well Ian Anderson has been a long time favourite of mine, he has a great story tellers sort of voice too.

Fan of Kates ever since she turned up on SNL singing 'Them Heavy People' on top of a piano in a skin tight body suit. The other 'Kate', too...Sarah Brightman...lol. That chick can sing. Then there's this yummy bit o' kit... Not as much range...but...oh well.

;)

Jethro Tull was a big favorite of mine...'Thick as a Brick' I suppose being my favorite.

----------------------------------------------------------------

There'll be no white flag upon my door...

---Dido

Fan of Kates ever since she turned up on SNL singing 'Them Heavy People' on top of a piano in a skin tight body suit. The other 'Kate', too...Sarah Brightman...lol. That chick can sing. Then there's this yummy bit o' kit... Not as much range...but...oh well.

;)

Jethro Tull was a big favorite of mine...'Thick as a Brick' I suppose being my favorite.

----------------------------------------------------------------

There'll be no white flag upon my door...

---Dido

I say Cohen...Hawkings is to wierd..after all that tune "Brief History Of Time" never made the charts...wait..oh - not steven hawkings...you mean that drunken old cowboy that hung on the shirt sleaves and shirt tails of really talented people..why are we talking about Ronnie Hawkings - do you really want people to know how old and uncool you are? ;)

'Thick as a Brick' I suppose being my favorite.

Mine too, but I liked all of Tull's Albums. I saw them twice, the first time was the Bursting Out tour and the second was the Storm Watch tour. Both superb concerts, the man is truly the Minstrel.

Kate, yes, she was beautifull. I especially appreciated her outfit in her video version of Babushka. The chain mail bikini and vakyrie looking hair were just right. :D

Mine too, but I liked all of Tull's Albums. I saw them twice, the first time was the Bursting Out tour and the second was the Storm Watch tour. Both superb concerts, the man is truly the Minstrel.

Kate, yes, she was beautifull. I especially appreciated her outfit in her video version of Babushka. The chain mail bikini and vakyrie looking hair were just right. :D

Thick as a brick - I saw that concert years ago - Jethro Tull correct? - OK now I have to bail after reading the chain mail bikini - what about the music guys?