France shocked by attack on Muslim war graves

kuzadd

Hmmm , made me wonder if anyone from here has been there lately.??? :(

history repeats itself, because too many people never learn a darn thing from it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080406/wl_af...cismislamgraves

Vandals desecrated 148 Muslim graves in France's biggest war cemetery, hanging a pig's head from one tombstone and daubing slogans insulting France's Muslim justice minister, officials said Sunday.

President Nicolas Sarkozy expressed "profound outrage" at the "sordid" attack on the Muslim quarter of the Notre Dame de Lorette cemetery, near the northern town of Arras on Saturday night. He vowed that those responsible would be punished.

The cemetery is France's biggest military graveyards and commemorates tens of thousands of victims of a series of long and bloody battles for control of northern France at the start of World War I.

The attack came almost exactly a year after a similar incident in which neo-Nazi vandals scrawled swastikas on 52 of the cemetery's Muslim graves.

"This is the most inadmissible kind of racism and the president of the republic shares the pain of France's entire Muslim community," said a statement issued by the presidency. France's Muslim community is Europe's largest at around five million.

"This hateful act is also a attack on the memory of all veterans of World War I, beyond the faith of each one," the statement added.

curious who will end up being arrested for this?????

Edited by kuzadd

While I do not agree with these actions, and would never condone them - this is simply another example of the pendulum swinging the other way.

The French are getting weary of what is happening in their country. The fringe element will lead the way. I suspect others will follow as time progresses.

Borg

Edited by Borg

While I do not agree with these actions, and would never condone them - this is simply another example of the pendulum swinging the other way.

The French are getting weary of what is happening in their country. The fringe element will lead the way. I suspect others will follow as time progresses.

Borg

how utterly ridiculous.

You don't agree nor condone, but then you do clearly condone by saying "The French are getting weary of what is happening in their country. "

so in other words it's ok to take these actions as retaliation for what you allege is being

happening in their country

Like how the Jewish people were alleged to be destroying Germany?

I said it before and I'll quote myself below.

history repeats itself, because too many people never learn a darn thing from it.
Edited by kuzadd

how utterly ridiculous.

You don't agree nor condone, but then you do clearly condone by saying "The French are getting weary of what is happening in their country. "

so in other words it's ok to take these actions as retaliation for what you allege is being

Like how the Jewish people were alleged to be destroying Germany?

I said it before and I'll quote myself below.

Actually I was simply pointing out that this and other similar types of criminal activity are going to become more common if only because they - the French - are not really happy with how things are going in their country.

If you did not like it you can take a long walk off a short pier.

Over to you for further insults camarade

Borg

Actually I was simply pointing out that this and other similar types of criminal activity are going to become more common if only because they - the French - are not really happy with how things are going in their country.

Borg

Why can't you just come out and say the French are not happy, or as you also put it, are weary with immigrants? Its a real toss up who these incidents galvanize the most.

Oh well, I have to say I'm not really surprised and we probably haven't seen anything yet. Just wait until the water hole starts getting smaller.

The French are weary with immigrants. They aren't assimilating. They are a drag on the economy. This is the backlash. France needs to solve this problem by halting immigration, reforming its labour laws and getting these people to work.

France should cave to the vandals? There's an actual reason that such vandalism occurs? The French government should seek means to appease?

This is hilarious!

The French are weary with immigrants. They aren't assimilating. They are a drag on the economy. This is the backlash. France needs to solve this problem by halting immigration, reforming its labour laws and getting these people to work.

muslims are only 8 percent of the population of france, that is .08 . of the total population.

Obviously given the fact that those graves were from WW1, Muslims had been assimilating just fine, inc. fighting and dying for France.

An unemployment issue is not unique to one group of people, unemployment is a state problem.

Borg

why, what's happening to their country Borg???

why don't you clarify?

comrade?

Yep, it was an uncalled for attack. It's on the same level as claiming that being a newspaper carrier is slavery. Both are without merit or basis in reality.

Will I disagree, it was a totally called for comment. One need have only been a long time poster here, to recall a great many posts calling for death to muslims or annihilation of muslims.

So what would the desecration of 148 grave stones be to people who hold these views?

If someone doesn't agree with the comment I made, they can still choose to comment on the story itself and disregard my thoughts.

But, when posters claim the thread story, of a heinous crime, is not worth commenting on , because it is preferable to them, to not acknowlege the crime committed. When Muslim bashing is their preferred mode, and they don't want to acknowledge the crime itself, it is better to deflect.

Edited by kuzadd

Find them.

Damn! You beat me to it.

I've seen people advocating harsh treatment of extremists, I agree treat them harshly. Never yet can I recall seeing anyone crying death to Muslims. Personally I believe in the harshest of measures in the face of extremism, any extremism

Not once have I seen anyone here advocating random acts of violence against Muslims. Nor have I seen any praising vandalism against Muslims. Perhaps you exaggerate just a little in order to add impact to your point.

Sure the desecration of the graves is a terrible thing. Its terrible whenever it happens, and it happens all the time, both here and abroad. To jump from something happening in France to the speculation that someone from this site must have done it, well, thats just absurd, juvenile and insulting.

Yep, it was an uncalled for attack. It's on the same level as claiming that being a newspaper carrier is slavery. Both are without merit or basis in reality.

Considering that she knows the fate of my own family's Holocaust memorial/grave site via PM, I found it disturbingly ironic.

One need have only been a long time poster here, to recall a great many posts calling for death to muslims or annihilation of muslims.

Agreement with M.Dancer. Find them.

-------------------------------------------

From Hell's heart, I stab at thee.

---Moby Dick

Edited by DogOnPorch

Will I disagree, it was a totally called for comment. One need have only been a long time poster here, to recall a great many posts calling for death to muslims or annihilation of muslims.

So what would the desecration of 148 grave stones be to people who hold these views?

A bulls-eye!

Again, what is the issue? Is it ignoring the reality of anti-Islamic feelings among the people of European nations.? Go on to a forum from France and the comments vary but arelargely of 'send them back'. And if you think they are racists, spend a day with my working class cousins in Britain....they would put all the Muslims on a boat and sink it.

The 'politically correct' somehow think that puting their ostrich heads in the sand is a solution. NOPE. That just puts a lid on a pot that is going to grow in heat and boil over.

Don't fake it with phony outrage and 'shock' that these graves were vandalized. Instead ask 'why' this act took place amd 'why' the guy on the street in Paris or London says to his buddy: "I wouldn't do it but the Muslims need to be sent back'

Again, what is the issue? Is it ignoring the reality of anti-Islamic feelings among the people of European nations.? Go on to a forum from France and the comments vary but arelargely of 'send them back'. And if you think they are racists, spend a day with my working class cousins in Britain....they would put all the Muslims on a boat and sink it.

The 'politically correct' somehow think that puting their ostrich heads in the sand is a solution. NOPE. That just puts a lid on a pot that is going to grow in heat and boil over.

Don't fake it with phony outrage and 'shock' that these graves were vandalized. Instead ask 'why' this act took place amd 'why' the guy on the street in Paris or London says to his buddy: "I wouldn't do it but the Muslims need to be sent back'

wow, xenophobia means what?

It's very special to hold those views and think , they are anything but racist.

except they are.

I remember not so long ago in Canada...............

but people are always the same, blame others (muslims, jews, japanese, italians) for the ills of society, as long as it not the finger pointers, or their own nasty self-righteous atttitudes.

Really couldn't say since I haven't seen anyone here espouse the views you're saying they have.

I think we have been through this before and someone pointed out some very extreme views to you at that time, perhaps you have forgotten.

but did you miss this one?

they would put all the Muslims on a boat and sink it.

cause it's always good to promote the murder by drowning of people, right?

would we accept statements like this aimed at others???

We know we most certainly would not, so why is it acceptable to say these things about Muslims??

I know, I know racism and scapegoating.

Edited by kuzadd

perhaps you have forgotten.

but did you miss this one?

You're right, I did forget that one, unless I never saw it, but I most likely forgot it.

Still, one or two extreme views or statements shouldn't be ascribed to one and all, nor should general insults be applied to one and all. It doesn't matter where you go or who you talk to, you will always find some with those kinds of attitudes.

As for the graves, like I said, it's a terrible thing but not uncommon just about anywhere. Just recently vandals desecrated a jewish cemetary here in Alberta. Like I said, it happens.