Anti-consumerism

trex

Granny lived to be 75 and she never heard of your fancy botulism, now today there is constantly news of people getting Food poisoning. I have lived for 73 years on Canned food and never knew anyone who died from it.

You know what did kill granny, it was having a baby every year and the old you know who couldn't keep it in his pants

People have been dying of botulism since time began....they also died of typhus, cholera and salmonella too....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have been dying of botulism since time began....they also died of typhus, cholera and salmonella too....

Agreed....some people have lost sight of morbidity in years past when consumerism wasn't rampant. Industrial and consumer products for sanitation and hygiene have been so effective we have forgotten about "typhus" and Typhoid Mary. Disposable pulp/paper products have made a huge impact over the past 50 years.

I remember when a "Kotex" was something to be FEARED! :lol:

Agreed....some people have lost sight of morbidity in years past when consumerism wasn't rampant. Industrial and consumer products for sanitation and hygiene have been so effective we have forgotten about "typhus" and Typhoid Mary. Disposable pulp/paper products have made a huge impact over the past 50 years.

I remember when a "Kotex" was something to be FEARED! :lol:

I have heard this ballyhoo about how bad it is to can your own food. What a load of crap it all is. I wonder who is behind this, the people who want to sell you their canned food. Funny in the food bank we have to check the dates of all their wonderful food now,so how great is it.

I never knew of anyone getting sick from home canning and as I said I have lived on it for 73 years as has all my relatives and yes my kids are still canning. No one sick yet. The problem is that it is not particulary good for big business is it?

Or are you saying that we are not aware of cleanliness, is this a new way of putting Canadians down.

....Or are you saying that we are not aware of cleanliness, is this a new way of putting Canadians down.

I don't think so.....Canadians are not fans of typhus or botulism either. Here is a canning/botulism warning from the British Columbia Ministry of Health, including the need for cleanliness:

http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile22.stm

Is the Ministry putting their own citizens down?

My husbands gggreat grandparents lived well into their 70's and raised 10 children and lived to have 95 grandchildren. They were born in the late 1700's My own greatgreat grandparents, born just around 1800 lived well into their 80's. In our area today few people live past their middle 70's but one couple as well as my husbands father lived into their middle 90's. So what has changed?
IOW, they were born in the early stages of the Industrial Revolution.

Margrace, if you study geneology, you should know that you only get to see survivors. The dead are buried and you often don't hear of them. Those who marry, have children and live a long life get recorded. Margrace, you are a product of a long line of survivors - and those survivors in the past faced daunting odds. Go walk in a cemetery and look at how many children died young.

I agree Margrace that modern medical technology primarily means we don't die young - it doesn't prolong the lives of old people, it means we don't die young. IOW, penicillin means that I won't live in terror of dying of pneumonia when I'm 45. But it won't help me survive to 105.

But modern medical technology isn't entirely a question of preventing early death:

Granny lived to be 75 and she never heard of your fancy botulism, now today there is constantly news of people getting Food poisoning. I have lived for 73 years on Canned food and never knew anyone who died from it.

You know what did kill granny, it was having a baby every year and the old you know who couldn't keep it in his pants

Ah yes, the pill. Now those hussies and harlots can abandon themselves to the animal pleasures of sweaty sex without the fear of getting pregnant.

Does this anti-consumerism rant extend to limiting people's consummation of sex? According to your post Margrace, sex ultimately killed your grandmother.

----

Look, when Leftists rant on about how we in the West are destroying the planet, we are wrecking other cultures and are generally the enemies and intruders on this wonderful planet Earth, the Leftists (at least in North America) belong to a worthy and long line of Calvinist Protestants. I admire Lutherans for their simplicity and practicality.

This Calvinist strain has married the Irish/French-Canadian Catholic victim mentality to create the North American Left. The North American Left are either victims or else they are appalled how greedy, flashy people are destroying civilization.

Canada's NDP is more Calvinist than Catholic. The Liberals are more Catholic than Calvinist. The OP is Calvinist.

Edited by August1991

Since the original theme of this was anti consumerism, there is a good program being aired by SCN called Escaping from Afluenza. I have become increasingly upset over the consummerism and sell sell sell of our society. People are in debt up to their eyeballs because they think they need everything that is new.

It horrifies me to see perfectly good kitchens being renovated, thousands of dollars spent on them and the realization that in order to have that kitchen the people will spend all their time working off the debt and never getting to really use all these so called wonderful improvements.

We have a big problem with our local dump, it has to be replaced. I am sure if environmentalists looked at it they would be horrified. It is right on a hill leading down to a historic river. In our municipality there are perhaps 700 all year residental properties. Of course it goes up substantually in the summer.

The new dump if they could even find a location will cost upwards of 3 million dollars and then how much will it cost to clean up the old and stop the probably leacheate into the river. Of course the taxes on the big summer homes helps us but they do not think they should support such things as roads, dumps, schools etc. in our area since they already do so at home.

So isn't it time we addressed this over consumerism, we are trying to manage our dump but some of the other municipalities with less forsight are just shipping their garbage elsewhere.

I don't think so.....Canadians are not fans of typhus or botulism either. Here is a canning/botulism warning from the British Columbia Ministry of Health, including the need for cleanliness:

http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile22.stm

Is the Ministry putting their own citizens down?

Oh but don't we all know that these governmental agencies are controlled by big business.

Since the original theme of this was anti consumerism, there is a good program being aired by SCN called Escaping from Afluenza. I have become increasingly upset over the consummerism and sell sell sell of our society. People are in debt up to their eyeballs because they think they need everything that is new.

It horrifies me to see perfectly good kitchens being renovated, thousands of dollars spent on them and the realization that in order to have that kitchen the people will spend all their time working off the debt and never getting to really use all these so called wonderful improvements.

We have a big problem with our local dump, it has to be replaced. I am sure if environmentalists looked at it they would be horrified. It is right on a hill leading down to a historic river. In our municipality there are perhaps 700 all year residental properties. Of course it goes up substantually in the summer.

The new dump if they could even find a location will cost upwards of 3 million dollars and then how much will it cost to clean up the old and stop the probably leacheate into the river. Of course the taxes on the big summer homes helps us but they do not think they should support such things as roads, dumps, schools etc. in our area since they already do so at home.

So isn't it time we addressed this over consumerism, we are trying to manage our dump but some of the other municipalities with less forsight are just shipping their garbage elsewhere.

Margrace - point well taken.

I'm currently involved in some real estate stuff... while talking with the agent I was saying how I loved my original kitchen - it's a classic - 50 years old NO renovations. Pristine condition!! One agent I spoke with said I should reno it to make more if is choose to sell my house (which I've NO interest in btw). I thought of my lovely arborite countertop, with its gleaming chrome framing, my HUGE REAL sink (not these silly double sinks that a roasting pan can't soak in!!), my wonderful hand made cupboards - level, sturdy and beautiful - and thought: Why would I ever want to do this????

I guess I'm just old fashioned, and believe that if something is working - why try to fix it?

We are such a throw away society - all toss and burn.

Very sad really.

BTW I still do some work in the renovation field and am always amazed at how much still useful stuff is simply tossed out because it's simply not 'in vogue' stylewise any more. In the past, I've always advised my clients to choose styles that are timeless - that will last beyond the latest fads and look good for decades to come. All the kitchens I've ever done are all still up and running, with perhaps only minor adjustments - like knobs, and curtains and counters.

As for me, I'm off to my retro kitchen to make a good old fashioned breakie - some homemade venicin sausage, market eggs and the neighbours perogies!!

;)

Oh but don't we all know that these governmental agencies are controlled by big business.

Margrace, the Government LOVES you!! ;)

I think it's clear that Bush_Cheney's grandma was simply a bad cook and had NO understanding of proper canning/preserving procedures! Some people have terrible kitchen habits... :P

Buffy cat I will be having fresh eggs for breakfast, my hens laid them yesterday and you must have observed the difference in eggs bought in a supper market and those bought fresh in a local market

Yes I know Bush_Cheney must have had a terrible family history, he sounds so defensive.

The way of the dinosaur? WTF?

I love that one. One of the wealthiest women in America who advocates to others to live simply. I somehow doubt that Oprah practices what she preaches.

How many times a day do you think Oprah changes her outfit? How many shoes do you think she has in her closet?

More than me - dammit !

Who said that Oprah practises this, she just knows how to feature things that draw people into her show. I remember once being taken to task for going to church every sunday. The complaint was that as long as the minister had two suits this man was not going to church. Much like your complaints about Oprah.

I'm currently involved in some real estate stuff... while talking with the agent I was saying how I loved my original kitchen - it's a classic - 50 years old NO renovations. Pristine condition!!
I'll bet that you've added a microwave oven and probably a dishwasher. I'll also bet the linoleum on the floor has been changed to ceramic tiles.

And if it's 50 years old, that means they probably used lead pipes for the plumbing - you might want to change those if you haven't already.

But all of this is neither here nor there. I doubt that you would want to drive a 50 year old car (without airbags, seat belts, ABS, power steering, brakes, AC and so on). When you fall ill, you certainly wouldn't want to be treated using 50 year old medical practices.

Your sense of consumption is so narrow as to be meaningless.

Margrace, some people (such as Oprah) have more money than you. They (such as Oprah) can buy more stuff. It appears that you like some of them and you dislike others.

But please don't criticize them merely because they are richer than you. When it comes to receiving government services, I'm sure that you are happy to have rich people around to pay for them. Otherwise, you'd be merely indulging in one of the oldest sins: envy.

Edited by August1991

Margrace, the Government LOVES you!! ;)

I think it's clear that Bush_Cheney's grandma was simply a bad cook and had NO understanding of proper canning/preserving procedures! Some people have terrible kitchen habits... :P

Very well...I think your grandma was a very wise person who spit on the floor the day you were born. Still, insulting someone's dead grandmother is a step up for you.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I just handed you your wrinkled ass using the BC Ministry of Health. That's not defensive...it's offensive.

Poor guy I wonder who rained on your parade. Its all right for you to insult my life but oboy don't insult yours.

Edited by margrace

Hmm you just described your own actions.

No...closer examination will reveal that you and member "buffycat" thought it clever to post insults instead of meaningful content. Payback was carefully directed at you, not your family (dead or alive). If you must insult members against forum rules, please limit such insults to members only, not their entire family or country of origin.

But please don't criticize them merely because they are richer than you. When it comes to receiving government services, I'm sure that you are happy to have rich people around to pay for them. Otherwise, you'd be merely indulging in one of the oldest sins: envy.

I tend to think that those who complain the most about nasty consumerism, are those who can least afford to consume anything. Therefore they are really coming from envy rather than altruism, as was said, they are quite happy to have others pay and support their wants and desires.

yes we know you are a big man. You can give it a rest now.

Yes Trex, you know the saying women should be seen and not heard and they most certainly must not dispute the all knowing man. We lived through the time but we know nothing.

Edited by margrace