You wake up tomorrow and you're the Prime Minister: Fix Canada

iForgot

How would you 'fix' Canada, again? Missed that part.

----------------------------

Barney Fife: "Where's Otis? He's not in his cell!"

Charles Bronson: "I shot him."

Barney: "Well that's just - you WHAT?!""

Bronson: "Now I'm going to Emmit's Fix-It Shop. To fix Emmit."

---The Simpsons

Here's what I would do if by some miracle I would find myself Prime Minister:

1. Pull our troops from Afghanistan: Why are we there? We should not be fighting other peoples battles.

2. Pull out of NAFTA, and kick out Walmart and other large US corporations that have killed local businesses.

3. Promote the manufacture of goods and services in Canada, not outsource but insource goods and services.

4. Build our own nuclear weapons deterent: Walk softly and carry a big stick. We have natural resources to protect.

5. Tighten immigration: Anyone can come here as long as they can contribute to our society, not work it like a slot machine.

7. Disband Indian Affairs: This is a useless and costly guilt driven ministry which has outlived it's time. This country gives 10 billion tax dollars in direct and indirect aid to First Nations yearly. Any other ethic group getting these handouts would be running this country by now.

8. Change the education system especially grades K-9 to teach academics, not socially engineer our children which is turning them into mindless automatons.

9. Eliminate welfare completely: People who have no money, suddenly start seeking work.

10. Dismantle the Media Empires which have been built which produce nothing but infotainment instead of asking the hard questions.

PS: You asked.

1. Pull our troops from Afghanistan: Why are we there? We should not be fighting other peoples battles.

2. Pull out of NAFTA, and kick out Walmart and other large US corporations that have killed local businesses.

3. Promote the manufacture of goods and services in Canada, not outsource but insource goods and services.

4. Build our own nuclear weapons deterent: Walk softly and carry a big stick. We have natural resources to protect.

5. Tighten immigration: Anyone can come here as long as they can contribute to our society, not work it like a slot machine.

7. Disband Indian Affairs: This is a useless and costly guilt driven ministry which has outlived it's time. This country gives 10 billion tax dollars in direct and indirect aid to First Nations yearly. Any other ethic group getting these handouts would be running this country by now.

8. Change the education system especially grades K-9 to teach academics, not socially engineer our children which is turning them into mindless automatons.

9. Eliminate welfare completely: People who have no money, suddenly start seeking work.

10. Dismantle the Media Empires which have been built which produce nothing but infotainment instead of asking the hard questions.

1. You'd have to pull out of NATO or render it meaningless. (BTW, the attack on the WTC was also an attack on us.)

2. Pull out of NAFTA? You want to turn Canada into North Korea and have no trade with the US?

3. Insource? Is your real name Kim Il Sung?

4. Have our own nuclear weapons? You really are Kim Il Sung!

5. Tighten immigration? Given your first four proposals, you won't have to. People will be clamouring to leave.

6. (I suggest you let your finance minister field any math questions.)

7. Indian Affairs - we have treaty obligations and the Supreme Court won't let you. No can do.

8. Education is a provincial responsibility. No can do Part II.

9. Eliminate federal contributions to welfare if you want - but you can't eliminate poor people.

10. Dismantle the Media Empires... and replace them with, uh, Rex Murphy?

----

I'd do one thing - not ten:

The well-known environmentalist and Simon Fraser University economist Mark Jaccard released a report Monday morning on Parliament Hill that outlines various options for Ottawa to implement a carbon tax or other ways of forcing polluters to pay for their environmental impacts.

The report argues that making polluters pay a fee for every tonne of greenhouse gases emitted into the atmosphere could raise between $50-billion and $100-billion in revenue annually by 2020.

The report argues that most of that revenue could be used to greatly reduce personal income taxes.

G & M

Eliminate income taxes and replace them with various charges based on environmental use. We do this now with natural resource royalties. This principle must be extended to the environment at large including road charges. The revenues could replace most income and property taxes.

Quite apart from what I want, I'm reasonably convinced that this is how government revenues will be raised in 2050.

Edited by August1991

Let me see - I took out the ones I do not agree with and will add:

Flat tax - eliminate rev can and other associated *%$^%$

Concealed carry if no criminal record

Remove firearms registration

Remove all fed funding to special interest groups including that tax monger suzuki

No politician can sit for more than two consecutive terms

Toss the senators - not the hockey team

Mandatory two years military or service to canada

Free education to those who maintain a passing grade up to two complete degrees

Toss human rights commissions

Review judge appointments every two years

No judge sits for more than 10 years

Supreme court judges must be affirmed by all parties and sit no more than 10 years

No immigrants with communicable disease - yes they can get in presently

No immigrants who cannot / will not commence work immediately

No canadians of convenience - hold a canuck passport as the only - or you are out and not welcome back

All immigrants will spend 5 years working in a part of canada above the 54 deg latitude line before moving to one of the major centres

All immigrants must pass a complete human reliability check before entry

All immigrants will speak at least one of the official languages fluently prior to entry

No more student visas to people over 25

No social benefits for immigrants for at least 5 years - must be completely self supporting

No free rides by showing up at the door - immediate transport back to port of departure until all paper work in hand.

Canada first policy in business, manufacturing and agriculture

Tighter border security

Immediate negotiations on fresh water to protect our resouce from U.S.

Immediate opening of health care to private industry - as is available in kebec (9 month wait for MRI in Ottawa on CFRA today)

Offer kebec the door

No kebec resident can work in Ontario as it will be a separate country

Toss bi-lang laws - expensive - english is the international language of business, medicine, aviation, engineering and the beat goes on

kebec can take their share of the debt and the land mass they joined confederation with - and leave

kebec can form their own currency and residents will need a visa to enter canada

Lots more - tired of typing.

Essentially I am tired of working to support so many others and not even getting a kiss when I get &*^%!

Borg

Edited by Borg

Lots more - tired of typing.

Essentially I am tired of working to support so many others and not even getting a kiss when I get &*^%!

Borg

Reading that list depresses me because I realize that Stephen Harper will never form a majority government and we will soon have another majority Liberal government that will serve two or three terms at least.

Borg, you have zero understanding of Canada, its history or even why you enjoy so many physical comforts.

Reading that list depresses me because I realize that Stephen Harper will never form a majority government and we will soon have another majority Liberal government that will serve two or three terms at least.

Borg, you have zero understanding of Canada, its history or even why you enjoy so many physical comforts.

Too bad you get depressed. In fact whether you believe, approve or understand - all of the above are often seriously perceived as real issues.

Perception is reality - want to change it? Then someone has to act. Otherwise we will end up like france - well within my life time.

Far too many folks think this but will not say it.

If you knew me you might change your mind - but I must remain anonymous for career and personal reasons. No need to have to appear in front of one of those human rights crusaders for some manifested reason.

Need to add arctic issues to the list - build in it and occupy it or lose it. We are on our way to losing it. Well on our way.

Thanks - hope your day is going as well as mine - it's a great one here.

Borg

Healthcare, Education, Immigration, Taxes, Jobs, Multiculturalism etc

What would you do to "fix" Canada?

Shouldn't this be in "Political Philosophy"? Not sure what this has to do with moral or ethical issues. But anyway...

I think that if I could "fix" this country, that is, make it a better place for all, the core issue I would address would be the cultural value set of its citizens. I believe that we need to build up a better sense of community responsibility and self-reliance - and I know that the one might seem at odds with the other. We need to build up a better sense of who we are, and what we stand for, and the moral character and strength to be willing to protect that no matter what anyone else thinks.

We need to build up a better sense of who we are, and what we stand for, and the moral character and strength to be willing to protect that no matter what anyone else thinks.

Yet you are on record for wanting the Govt to be stronger than its people. Pick one or the other.

Section off a hard-core separatist part of Quebec, declare it independent, and then apply the Charter to give the rights of Canadians to all Canadians.

Yet you are on record for wanting the Govt to be stronger than its people. Pick one or the other.

I realize reading comprehension is not your strongest talent - presuming you have any talents - but I said no such thing. I pointed out that the government IS stronger NOW.

Especially given most of the people in this country don't even bother to keep informed about what the government is doing. How many Canadians would not be able to name even a single cabinet minister?

Especially given most of the people in this country don't even bother to keep informed about what the government is doing. How many Canadians would not be able to name even a single cabinet minister?
I'm not a Canadian and I can name about four or five. Let's start with Flaherty, Harper, Mackay, Emerson, and that's without even trying.

So I suggest your assumption is fallacious.

I realize reading comprehension is not your strongest talent - presuming you have any talents - but I said no such thing. I pointed out that the government IS stronger NOW.

Comprehension is fine thanks. Understanding on your point seems suspect.

Here is the crux. The govt isnt. If they were then the govt would win every case in court. They dont , and you know it.

You said...

We need to build up a better sense of who we are, and what we stand for, and the moral character and strength to be willing to protect that no matter what anyone else thinks

Our protection comes form standing up for the Charter and the rights we have.

So? This has nothing to do with anything, although I am in agreement.

Especially given most of the people in this country don't even bother to keep informed about what the government is doing.

Canadians may feel a measure of gratitude toward the government when they receive a larger than ordinary income tax refund this year. Other than that the majority ignore all things political. One proof is low voter turnout.

How many Canadians would not be able to name even a single cabinet minister?

Even worse, if asked who the PM is, many Canadians would answer Chretien or Martin. :lol:

Shouldn't this be in "Political Philosophy"? Not sure what this has to do with moral or ethical issues. But anyway...

I think that if I could "fix" this country, that is, make it a better place for all, the core issue I would address would be the cultural value set of its citizens. I believe that we need to build up a better sense of community responsibility and self-reliance - and I know that the one might seem at odds with the other. We need to build up a better sense of who we are, and what we stand for, and the moral character and strength to be willing to protect that no matter what anyone else thinks.

The title of the thread is what you would do if you were federal PM of Canada.

The federal government cannot fix all our problems, and the PM is even less likely. And frankly, I don't think the federal government (bureaucrats, PM or others) should be involved inchanging the "cultural value set of citizens", as you state it.

I realize reading comprehension is not your strongest talent - presuming you have any talents - but I said no such thing.
Argus, do you have any reading abilities or talents? For example, did you read this thread's title? Edited by August1991

I'm not a Canadian and I can name about four or five. Let's start with Flaherty, Harper, Mackay, Emerson, and that's without even trying.

So I suggest your assumption is fallacious.

And you, an American who spends a lot of time on a Canadian political web site - represent the average man's political knowledge? Please.

The title of the thread is what you would do if you were federal PM of Canada.

The federal government cannot fix all our problems, and the PM is even less likely. And frankly, I don't think the federal government (bureaucrats, PM or others) should be involved inchanging the "cultural value set of citizens", as you state it.

I might generally agree with that sentiment. Nevertheless, all levels of government have seen it as their task to 're-educate" Canadians for the last thirty years, through a wide variety of means which include everything from slanted education texts for children, to funding a wide variety of special interest and cultural groups to outright advertising. I find it hard to believe you somehow managed to not notice any of that.

Argus, do you have any reading abilities or talents? For example, did you read this thread's title?

Yes, and I chose to answer it in this way rather than give the same list of programs and funding initiatives I've given previously. You have a problem with that? Perhaps I should have said I plan to redirect all immigrants to Quebec.

I might generally agree with that sentiment. Nevertheless, all levels of government have seen it as their task to 're-educate" Canadians for the last thirty years, through a wide variety of means which include everything from slanted education texts for children, to funding a wide variety of special interest and cultural groups to outright advertising. I find it hard to believe you somehow managed to not notice any of that.

Yes, and I chose to answer it in this way rather than give the same list of programs and funding initiatives I've given previously. You have a problem with that? Perhaps I should have said I plan to redirect all immigrants to Quebec.

First thing I would do is reform the court system from family law right up to the Supreme Court Of Canada..so as the citizens would not be so constantly enraged and frustrated to the point of civil dysfunction..you have to have justice in order to have peace and prospertity and real stability socially..secondly - disban the United Way - and Canadain Blood Services...and re-establish the Red Cross to what it used to be instead of an American style blood sucking private enterprise that has replaced the old noble Red Cross....lastly I would appeal to Washington and have poor old Conrad Black brought home to do his penance...Lastly - clean up Osgoode Hall in Toronto and have them adhere to the herald on the wall of the old building "let right prevail"- seems they have forgotten what is right and what is wrong...justice would be the primary thing that I would focus on if I were the prime minister...like I said - even the problems at Jane and Finch in Toronto would be aleviated if the young men could see that there is honour in the system...seeing their is none and the courts only encourage bad gang banging behaviour - once they discover that the court is just the bigger gang...we have to set a good example..we have peaked in our power structures and the power is absolutely corrupt...I would save the nation from itself...the way we are going is to hell in a hand basket..not good!