Peter McKay goes to Afghanistan

Higgly

Apparently the Axis of Evil bullshit campaign is still in full force, with Peter McKay announcing from Afghanistan that the Iranians are selling weapons to the Taliban. Of course the Taliban are using American, Chinese and Russian made weapons, Japanese made vehicles and are probably eating rice from India, but hey, Dick Cheney doesn't hate those countries (well at least yet).

It's all the fault of Iran. The axis of evil. The axis of evil.

Peter, get a grip.

Apparently the Axis of Evil bullshit campaign is still in full force, with Peter McKay announcing from Afghanistan that the Iranians are selling weapons to the Taliban. Of course the Taliban are using American, Chinese and Russian made weapons, Japanese made vehicles and are probably eating rice from India, but hey, Dick Cheney doesn't hate those countries (well at least yet).

Peter, get a grip.

Any excuse to get the US and Us in there aye

While none of us knows if it is really true, I would think the possibility Iranian supplied arms are being used to kill our people would be taken a little more seriously, but don't let a few more dead Canadians get in the way of a good anti Conservative rant. Iranian arms supplies to the Taliban have been reported by quite a few respected media outlets, including the Washington Post, London Times and Telegraph. Perhaps they are wrong but I suspect their sources are a little better that ours.

I don't recall McKay or any other Canadian politician referring to Iran or anyone else as part of an Axis of Evil, but don't let that get in your way either. I know you won't.

While none of us knows if it is really true, I would think the possibility Iranian supplied arms are being used to kill our people would be taken a little more seriously, but don't let a few more dead Canadians get in the way of a good anti Conservative rant. Iranian arms supplies to the Taliban have been reported by quite a few respected media outlets, including the Washington Post, London Times and Telegraph. Perhaps they are wrong but I suspect their sources are a little better that ours.

I don't recall McKay or any other Canadian politician referring to Iran or anyone else as part of an Axis of Evil, but don't let that get in your way either. I know you won't.

Yes I also have read about Iran and the Taliban but I also have read that China supplies Iran. IS the west going to go to war with China?? I think not. Who gave the Taliban weapons whe they were fighting Russia? I don't think Canada was involved with the war then so why now??

Guest American Woman

I don't think recognizing that Iran is supplying the Taliban with weapons is synonymous with wanting to go to war with Iran. I'm convinced that Iran is supplying weapons, and I want no such thing. I think it's important to realize/recognize what's going on, though. If our troops are being killed by weapons supplied by Iran, I think we need to be aware of that.

Peter, get a grip.

Common sense would say that it would not be in Iran's interests to have a successful western oriented moderately democratic government on its border - on either of it's borders, in fact. I wouldn't even need anyone to tell me that Iran would be meddling in both Afghanistan and Iraq in hopes of defeating this whole democracy idea. Why you instantly dismiss it is beyond me. Except, of course, that like much of the far Left you vastly prefer any kind of government, however evil, cruel, fanatic or corrupt, to the United States or anything that smacks of capitalism. And, of course, common sense is a foreign concept to the Left.

I don't think recognizing that Iran is supplying the Taliban with weapons is synonymous with wanting to go to war with Iran. I'm convinced that Iran is supplying weapons, and I want no such thing. I think it's important to realize/recognize what's going on, though. If our troops are being killed by weapons supplied by Iran, I think we need to be aware of that.

The evidence has been quite strong that Iranians weapons have been making their way into Afghanistan. It is one of the reason why Canada's long term position in the Afghanistan will continue to be on fraught with difficulties.

The Bush administration has been trying to destabilize Iran and in turn Iran tries to do the same in Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/0...authorizes.html

The CIA has received secret presidential approval to mount a covert "black" operation to destabilize the Iranian government, current and former officials in the intelligence community tell the Blotter on ABCNews.com.

The sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the subject, say President Bush has signed a "nonlethal presidential finding" that puts into motion a CIA plan that reportedly includes a coordinated campaign of propaganda, disinformation and manipulation of Iran's currency and international financial transactions.

The danger of the conflict spreading is great.

Yes I also have read about Iran and the Taliban but I also have read that China supplies Iran. IS the west going to go to war with China?? I think not. Who gave the Taliban weapons whe they were fighting Russia? I don't think Canada was involved with the war then so why now??

This is a silly approach. If Iran is a conduit for China and can be deterred from being such a conduit via force why should China be attacked? If China can't be attacked does that mean nothing should be done?

Common sense would say that it would not be in Iran's interests to have a successful western oriented moderately democratic government on its border - on either of it's borders, in fact. I wouldn't even need anyone to tell me that Iran would be meddling in both Afghanistan and Iraq in hopes of defeating this whole democracy idea. Why you instantly dismiss it is beyond me. Except, of course, that like much of the far Left you vastly prefer any kind of government, however evil, cruel, fanatic or corrupt, to the United States or anything that smacks of capitalism. And, of course, common sense is a foreign concept to the Left.

My guess is that Iran is just doing the same thing everyone else is doing - trying to ante up its chips for a stake in the game. Iran has a perfectly good reason to do so, given the geographic reality, and this is just another reason why a solution to these sorts of regional conflicts require all of the stakeholders to be at the table and not just the ones that make movies featuring Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwartzenpecker et al...

The sooner that sort of thinking enters the picture, the better off we'all all be, but it won't happen as long as Bush and Cheney are in power - they're vision doesn't go much beyond the iron fence surrounding the White House.

So, Iran is supplying the Taliban with weapons which are being used against our people, what's the big deal about McKay saying so? He is Minister of Defence, it is kind of like his job you know. I don't get Higgly's phony outrage.

Who gave the Taliban weapons whe they were fighting Russia?

The Taliban are not the Mujahideen. Two different animals.

---------------------------------------------------

The Buddhas had to be destroyed by the Taliban to get the world thinking about Afghanistan.

---Director Mohsen Makhmalbaf

LOL I couldn't of said it better myself.

Of course he went to Afghanistan he's the Minister of National Defense, dahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Part of his role is moral building.

This is a silly approach. If Iran is a conduit for China and can be deterred from being such a conduit via force why should China be attacked? If China can't be attacked does that mean nothing should be done?

Because China get its oil from Iran and if there was a war with the US, who side do you think it would take? Both Russia and China would help Iran. The US has over 500,000 soldiers spread world wide. The Iranians have over 900,000 in its military.

Because China get its oil from Iran and if there was a war with the US, who side do you think it would take? Both Russia and China would help Iran. The US has over 500,000 soldiers spread world wide. The Iranians have over 900,000 in its military.

Well in that case, the US should just surrender right now! All those Chinese and Iranian troops could swim across the ocean and attack New Jersey's oil refineries!

And how many was it that Iraq had during the first Gulf War? I still remember all the lefties screaming about how Iraq was going to kick ass because they had all these men and planes and tanks. Hmmm, wonder how that worked out for them?

Numbers do have a good deal of significance, they do not however compensate for a strong, well trained, well motivated and well equipped force.

And how many was it that Iraq had during the first Gulf War? I still remember all the lefties screaming about how Iraq was going to kick ass because they had all these men and planes and tanks. Hmmm, wonder how that worked out for them?

Numbers do have a good deal of significance, they do not however compensate for a strong, well trained, well motivated and well equipped force.

Indeed. Numbers mean nothing if they are in the wrong place. IE all well and fine to have a million men on your northen border, but it becomes a liability if the hostilities are going to take place in the south.

Yeah right. And the righties were all howling that Saddam was planting bombs on airliners. I was on a 747 on the eve of the ground war flying between Canada and Europe and the whole bloody plane was empty. Literally. I think there were maybe 20 passengers on the whole plane. Damn near destroyed the western airline industry.

My point in starting this thread was about how it is that our government and the western press has a very bad habit of focussing on the evil du jour and ignoring the 900 pound gorilla - the huge international arms trade into which many western companies constantly funnel weapons indiscriminately. The idea that we should all just focus on Iran is ludicrous.

As far as I'm concerned, we are being played by the same idiots who turned the silly ravings of Mad George into a completely unnecessary war that will not end in our lifetime.