OC (Pepper) Spray

sideshow

Kind of felt nostalgic with all the talk of banning the Taser, so I thought I would ask people their thoughts on OC spray. The same sort of debate raged a number of years ago concerning its use by law enforcement. Heres a few links:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2000/07/19/...pray000729.html

http://web02.nm.cbc.ca/news/background/tas...pper-spray.html

http://www.seattleweekly.com/1999-02-17/ne...epper-spray.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

Excellent...and same as it ever was. The only wrinkle this time is that it was recorded on video and some Canadians don't like how it makes them "look to the rest of the world".

Why not just hire big fat old X boxers who still have a waloping punch that registres in 500 lbs of impact per square inch. Dress them up like cops - have the young skinny guys lead the boxer arouond on a leesh - then when needed he is released like a pugitive pit bull and simply punches the suspect hard in the face just once...flattening the nose and bringing on instand unconsiousness..it would be like a bludgeoning device - a bio one with built in sensors..the old boxer could maybe give a hard blow to a big black scray guy - a lighter blow to the face of a man say who was a runtish guy standing out infront of his suburban house - who is drunk and bickering with his wife...and a light slap for kids that go through a red light on their bikes...it would be safer and literaly have the controled human touch!

This is another one of those debates that have good pros and cons and no point of view wins. One could say that both are a form of torture couldn't we?? The death of someone from using both weapons will depend on the HEALTH of the person getting hit. I think communication is very important for the police to do and in the case of the Vancouver, they should have thrown a net over him and then gotten someone to talk to him in HIS native tongue and he would probably be alive today. The guy that invented the taser will always say its safe, he's making millions off it!!!

There is a certain amount of risk to apprehending a person who is out of control or physically resisting arrest. If you can come up with a method that involves zero risk for both the police and the perp, you will have made your fortune but until then the only issue is how the risk is managed.

I carry bear spray when I am in the bush. Creeps in the city buy the stuff and use it on honest civilians but some would take it away from the police and leave it to the creeps. Pretty soon we'll have the police back to the day when their only options were beating on someone with a club or shooting them. Will the police now be required to obtain every suspects medical status to determine what method can be used to subdue them? But then I guess they would have to subdue them in order to get them to a doctor to determine that status. How about a lot less hysteria and a little more thought.

There is a certain amount of risk to apprehending a person who is out of control or physically resisting arrest. If you can come up with a method that involves zero risk for both the police and the perp, you will have made your fortune but until then the only issue is how the risk is managed.

I carry bear spray when I am in the bush. Creeps in the city buy the stuff and use it on honest civilians but some would take it away from the police and leave it to the creeps. Pretty soon we'll have the police back to the day when their only options were beating on someone with a club or shooting them. Will the police now be required to obtain every suspects medical status to determine what method can be used to subdue them? But then I guess they would have to subdue them in order to get them to a doctor to determine that status. How about a lot less hysteria and a little more thought.

Spock on Star Trek never had any problems once he put his hand on your neck.Maybe alittle marital art hold would work.

Spock on Star Trek never had any problems once he put his hand on your neck.Maybe alittle marital art hold would work.

Spock never had to worry about being knifed in the ribs by an actor to spaced on on drugs to care.....

....sheesh!