George W Bush

Yes, that has been the appeal amongst supporters, and not unlike PM Harper's following. Say it...then do it...pretty simple. President Bush has been compared to Harry Truman on issues and style, and as you posted, history grows kinder to Truman each day.

Keep dreamin' BC Both dopey and grumpey, will make Nixon look like boy scout. They will be hated, strongly disliked for years to come.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
I never said that others countries did excellently, and actually only the Mexicans did worse than Americans, so I guess that is some consolation for you. The results don't actually say where Canada and the other countries fall, just that they do not do well either, however they did much better than the United States OVERALL, as the survey findings suggests. ...............

"however they did much better than the United States OVERALL, as the survey findings suggests."

The survey suggests no such thing. The survey suggests that Canadians did poorly too-- "Young people in Canada and Great Britain fared almost as poorly as those in the U.S." How you get "they did much better than the United States overall" out of that is beyond me. :rolleyes:

That's on a map of the U.S.

So where is Canada? I have seen some that think it's up there by Woarshinntun..the state or the DC - they don't know. George W. Bush is a front man for a committee of capitalist facist - end of story..it's not his fault..they would destroy him if he did the right thing...and his dad knows that.

So where is Canada? I have seen some that think it's up there by Woarshinntun..the state or the DC - they don't know. George W. Bush is a front man for a committee of capitalist facist - end of story..it's not his fault..they would destroy him if he did the right thing...and his dad knows that.

No..it's our "fault"...just the way we wanted it, and there is nothing you can do about it. We will pick the next one too in about 11 months.

It was GWB's misfortune to have been elected President with 9/11 hovering in the future. Following 9/11, he and his administration had two clear choices. Lay down and take it or fight back. Americans would never have accepted the do-nothing attitude. They were out for blood and who could blame them having lost 3,000 lives and not knowing when or where the next terrorist attack would occur. This was a new and unknown foe, at least by the population at large. There were no game rules such as in conventional warfare.

In order to issue a final verdict on GWB's term in office it is useful to ponder how another President in his position would have reacted in the face of 9/11. For example, how would Al Gore as President have reacted? We'll never know.

From a personal viewpoint, I'm not at all happy with how things have turned out in our World since that dreadful day. Yet, my condemnation and indictment of the terrorists that assailed the West runs deeper than any ill feeling I may harbor toward the President of the United States.

It was GWB's misfortune to have been elected President with 9/11 hovering in the future. Following 9/11, he and his administration had two clear choices. Lay down and take it or fight back. Americans would never have accepted the do-nothing attitude. They were out for blood and who could blame them having lost 3,000 lives and not knowing when or where the next terrorist attack would occur. This was a new and unknown foe, at least by the population at large. There were no game rules such as in conventional warfare.

In order to issue a final verdict on GWB's term in office it is useful to ponder how another President in his position would have reacted in the face of 9/11. For example, how would Al Gore as President have reacted? We'll never know.

From a personal viewpoint, I'm not at all happy with how things have turned out in our World since that dreadful day. Yet, my condemnation and indictment of the terrorists that assailed the West runs deeper than any ill feeling I may harbor toward the President of the United States.

Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11. A whole country's infrastructure has been decimated, thousands of innocent people have lost their homes, businesses and lives for nothing but the fact that they were ruled by their own form of a dictactor. The U.S. Government, in the years prior to 9/11, couldn't have cared less that Iraq was under the rule of a dictator. They have never cared about human rights in the third world or anywhere else in the world unless there was something in it to be gained. They have financed, armed and set up strategies to enhance the success of dictators around the world to their own ends for years. The atrocities that occur in South African countries and the fact that the U.S Government has virtually ignored the lack of human rights in this part of the world is testament to this. Power and control over resources is the focus.

Bush couldn't even deal with the aftermath of a hurricane that wiped out one of his own cities. He can't even ensure that the rescue workers from ground zero receive the necessary medical care they desparately need today.

Gore or any President that had an honest agenda at that time, would have focused their attention on Bin Laden and would have been successful in bringing him to justice.

Edited by Carinthia

Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11. A whole country's infrastructure has been decimated, thousands of innocent people have lost their homes, businesses and lives for nothing but the fact that they were ruled by their own form of a dictactor. The U.S. Government, in the years prior to 9/11, couldn't have cared less that Iraq was under the rule of a dictator.

This is patently false. Prior to 9/11, it was US/UK policy to keep Iraq in a deadly headlock, including UN sanctions (supported and endorsed by Canada and alleged to have killed 50,000 per month), Operation Desert Fox in 1998 which bombed over 100 sites in Iraq, special forces operations, no-fly zone enforcement, and weapons inspections.

Bush couldn't even deal with the aftermath of a hurricane that wiped out one of his own cities. He can't even ensure that the rescue workers from ground zero receive the necessary medical care they desparately need today.

Bush was not the governor of Luisiana or Mayor of New Orleans.

Gore or any President that had an honest agenda at that time, would have focused their attention on Bin Laden and would have been successful in bringing him to justice.

The American agenda is honest....you just don't like it. Still waiting for Canada to bring Bin Hidin' to justice.

Past interest in Iraq was over Iraq invading Kuwait and had nothing whats-so-ever to do with dictatorship of it's people or human rights. It was to protect oil. It's always been about oil.

If the Mayor or Gov does not step up to the plate, do you just say "oh well, these citizens of America can go to hell as it's not my job".

It's not Canada's responsiblity to look for Bin Laden.

It was to protect oil. It's always been about oil.

Oil is very important. Would you like to see the world's oil supply held hostage?

It's not Canada's responsiblity to look for Bin Laden.

Guess again. It is every nations responsibility....otherwise left alone, Bin Laden will come looking for us.

American Woman, please read the findings of the survey. It doesn't even discuss how other nations fared. The only line you are using is that other countries did not fare well either. However even that articale states the US is geographically illiterate and fare far worse.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/roper200...ogLitsurvey.pdf

If you read the results and findings you'll see why I posted it. It is very telling. Or you can simply ignore it because I am Canadian.

So I click on this thread only to find that it's a discussion about the AMERICAN president-- but it's made quite clear that AMERICANS aren't welcome to take part in the discussion ....

:rolleyes:

You sort of wore out your welcome when you started making decisions about what rights you had on your territory. I imagine I might find the same on an American site were I to put up posts that suggested Long Island Sound should be open to the kind of nonsense you were suggesting.

Alas, that is what Americans are for, starting with their head of state. PM Trudeau taught Canada how to define itself in terms of America, so we have a responsibility to be the best foil possible. President Bush is going to finish his term on his terms, ignoring his domestic detractors, and certainly not giving a damn what Canadians think about him.

As far as peope like you are concerned, we are just collateral damage. Your comment about Trudeau, given what he did to introduce the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and take the country out of the political influence of the British, is ridiculous. If you have any good references to back up your claim, then quote them here and give us a link in case we decide you can't be trusted to quote accurately.

I think history will be much kinder to Bush than many think.

The liberal media absolutely LOATHED Reagan and now you would think he was a democrat.

No, we think he was a drooling idiot who fell asleep during cabinet meetings. Nixon was a more important president. He at least had the balls to outflank the Russians by kissing up to the Chinese.

Of course a military wonk would have advocated nuclear weapons.

You mean like this? "This is our country. Piss off."

And this? "Who the fuck cares. This is our vote, and you can do whatever the fuck you want in your own jurisdiction. Otherwise, piss off."

Except I'm not quoting an American. I'm quoting a Canadian. Seems Canadians get extremely defensive about subjects touching on their own country, eh? <_<

But if you think it's cool to discuss an American president and not care about American opinions, as you criticize Americans for not caring about anything outside their country, go for it. I'll still chuckle at the irony of it. But here's a tip. No one is forcing anyone to read all the responses on this board. If you're only interested in Canadian views, I suggest you only read posts made by Canadians. ;)

Right. What's not to get? You were advocating that somebody else should have control over our sovereign territory.

Guest American Woman
You sort of wore out your welcome when you started making decisions about what rights you had on your territory. I imagine I might find the same on an American site were I to put up posts that suggested Long Island Sound should be open to the kind of nonsense you were suggesting.

Wore out my welcome, eh? Because I dared to comment on something you consider a Canadian issue. You, who must spend half your life talking about the United States/American issues. :rolleyes: Yeah, how dare I comment on the NW Passage. Never mind that the world disagrees with you, I have no business stating my opinion.

You crack me up. No country is discussed more than the U.S., but let a non-Canadian voice an opinion about Canada and you can't take it. :lol: over and over.

Let me clue you in on something. Long Island Sound isn't in dispute. ;)