George W Bush

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was not the point of the damn survey. I'm pretty well sure the people who are in Afghanistan as well as their families know where they are, which would place them IF SURVEYED within the population who CAN find it on a map. The fact is in a random samle of 18-24 year old Americans more can't than can.

The same is prolly true for Canadians (> 50%)....so what? Maybe they don't know, don't care, and don't care that they don't know.

And approximately 600 people is more than enough to make those inferences with a 95% degree of confidence.

Yes...same as Jay Leno's sidewalk surveys.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Regardless we are so off topic now it is ridiculous. The tpic was supposed to talk about Bush's presidency. By your name it sound slike you are happy with what has been accomplished. I disagree. End of that argument. hehe

I get to vote for US president...you don't. Whether you are happy or not with President Bush is irrelevant.

Actually based on the survey results , because this report is concerned with the Americans interviewed. They interviewed people in other countries. I couldn't find the final result per country, just the States. Maybe you can I don't know. The survey esults were that you are right alot didn't fare well, but that the United States was second last before Mexico.

That is a little harsh about the Jay Leno surveys....come on man. You are seriously equating this survey with that shit? don't get me wrong but they obviously cut everyone out who gets the right answers. If I believed that crap I would think all Americans are borderline retarded.

You're right I don't get to vote, but I have a brain and can have an opinion. I guess it is the same for you having so many opinions about Canadian politics yourself which are totally irrelevent.

If it is so irrelevant why are you arguing tooth an nail then if I call hiim a total jackass and pretty much a pawn for people with absolutely no regard for international security?

If it doesn't matter you can simly ignore me. In the end it doesn't matter that George Bush was the worst president in the history of your country, who accomplshed the least, derailed many constitutional protections and has drove record surpluses into even greater record deficits and national debt. I mean who cares if I say that right?

Actually based on the survey results , because this report is concerned with the Americans interviewed. They interviewed people in other countries. I couldn't find the final result per country, just the States. Maybe you can I don't know. The survey esults were that you are right alot didn't fare well, but that the United States was second last before Mexico.

It was National Geographic for chrissakes...not the US Board of Education. They want to sell magazine subscriptions. If "Big Oil" had pulled such a self serving stunt, people would be all over them too.

That is a little harsh about the Jay Leno surveys....come on man. You are seriously equating this survey with that shit? don't get me wrong but they obviously cut everyone out who gets the right answers. If I believed that crap I would think all Americans are borderline retarded.

But I want you to think that we are all retarded....while we take over the whole goddamn planet.

You're right I don't get to vote, but I have a brain and can have an opinion. I guess it is the same for you having so many opinions about Canadian politics yourself which are totally irrelevent.

I don't really care about Canadian politics, save for the non-stop references to Americans, Bush, baby Neo-cons, etc. Frankly, if there wasn't so much American related chatter on this forum I'd go away for good. You guys have it bad!

If it is so irrelevant why are you arguing tooth an nail then if I call hiim a total jackass and pretty much a pawn for people with absolutely no regard for international security?

What is international security? Forum rules state that you may not call President Bush a "jackass"...LOL!

If it doesn't matter you can simly ignore me. In the end it doesn't matter that George Bush was the worst president in the history of your country, who accomplshed the least, derailed many constitutional protections and has drove record surpluses into even greater record deficits and national debt. I mean who cares if I say that right?

Correct...you are just another voice in the wilderness. President Bush will retire with a big fat pension to go with his oil and baseball millions. But you still paid attention to him.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Actually he will fade from my mind as soon as he steps down like he wasn't even there. I just enjoy how much Americans get pissed off when you talk about their politics.

And it is National Geogrpahic you are right. But they are still reponsible for jounalistic integrity and I'm pretty sure they haven't gained notoriety and their reputation by publishing shit. Your argument once again, is weakass.

Edited by jawapunk

Actually he will fade from my mind as soon as he steps down like he wasn't even there. I just enjoy how much Americans get pissed off when you talk about their politics.

That's OK...another CP train just went by with softwood lumber..heading south. You can talk all you want, but it was assinine to exclude Americans from the discussion, having the exact opposite effect.

And it is National Geogrpahic you are right. But they are still reponsible for jounalistic integrity and I'm pretty sure they haven't gained notoriety and their reputation by publishing shit. Your argument once again, is weakass.

It's a self serving survey....can't wait for Exxon-Mobil to survey 18-24 year olds about the hydrocarbon economy and location of all oil rigs on a map.

I just read the rules. I'm pretty sure I can call George Bush a jackass. Especially since this thread asked what my opinion is of him and his presidency. Now if I called you ca jackass, then I can see that as being a problem.

Insults levelled at third-parties (companies, political parties, nationalities) are also forbidden in the forums.

Whatever you say there guy. You know all the inner workings of National Geographic. I'm sure that by bascially calling fellow Americans geographically illiterate the they got a ton of new subscriptions! If you are anything to go by, I don't think Americans would take kindly to it. You seem like it was a personal attack.

Not sure what the effect was...People basically stopped posting here since you and I got in the argument that has nothing to do with Bush for the most part. If you are implying that people stopped posting because Americans were excluded to some extent, I think you're wrong. I think pretty much no one wanted to get involved in the back and forth you and I have had for 40 odd posts.

Edited by jawapunk

Whatever you say there guy. You know all the inner workings of National Geographic. I'm sure that by bascially calling fellow Americans geographically illiterate the they got a ton of new subscriptions!

Whatever floats their boat. We can get much better photos of female breasts from other sources now.

Not sure what the effect was...People basically stopped posting here since you and I got in the argument that has nothing to do with Bush for the most part. If you are implying that people stopped posting because Americans were excluded to some extent, I think you're wrong. I think pretty much no one wanted to get involved in the back and forth you and I have had for 40 odd posts.

Of course you think I'm wrong.....I can run yet another "Bush thread" (the American president that will soon be forgotton) into the weeds anytime. I think President Bush gets more action here than PM Harper.

I thought we ended this discussion. It is like beating a dead horse now.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02/geog.test/

CNN fact checks...they wouldn't have posted an article with all the survey results if the results were bogus....or if they did it would be to say the survey was a peice of shite.

They do say the survey was a part of a National Geographic campaign, however the data is verifiable. This isn't Fox news afterall

Edited by jawapunk

CNN fact checks...they wouldn't have posted an article with all the survey results if the results were bogus....or if they did it would be to say the survey was a peice of shite.

They do say the survey was a part of a National Geographic campaign, however the data is verifiable. This isn't Fox news afterall

Right....I suggest you check up on the ownership of National Geographic media outlets....you may just find the big bad Fox behind the scenes.

In any event, I would be satisfied with the survey results at 50% for all 18-24 year olds in the continental USA. But it wasn't presented that way.

Back to President Bush...the greatest American president of this century!

Right....I suggest you check up on the ownership of National Geographic media outlets....you may just find the big bad Fox behind the scenes.

In any event, I would be satisfied with the survey results at 50% for all 18-24 year olds in the continental USA. But it wasn't presented that way.

Back to President Bush...the greatest American president of this century!

In truth, only time will reveal how good Bush has been. I suspect in 20 years, history will show much that can't be seen. I respect the man for always making decisions using proper techniques, which means getting all the data available at the time and making a judgement call. What Clinton used to do, which was simply sticking a finger in the air and deciding based on the polls was shoddy performance. He could have been good if he hadn't based decisions on public opinion or whether the woman in question was willing.

In truth, only time will reveal how good Bush has been. I suspect in 20 years, history will show much that can't be seen. I respect the man for always making decisions using proper techniques, which means getting all the data available at the time and making a judgement call...

Yes, that has been the appeal amongst supporters, and not unlike PM Harper's following. Say it...then do it...pretty simple. President Bush has been compared to Harry Truman on issues and style, and as you posted, history grows kinder to Truman each day.

Guest American Woman
....Americans are in general terrible at geography. So bad in fact that many cannot find their own country on a world map. .....

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...operSurvey.html

This article says that most countries do poorly on geography but that the U.S. is almost illiterate in that capacity.

The National Geographic survey shows nearly 94% of Americans can locate the the United States on a map, so your claim that "many [Americans] cannot find their own country on a world map" is not true. And since the survey results show that "Young people in Canada and Great Britain fared almost as poorly as those in the U.S.," if the U.S. is, as you claim, "almost illiterate in that capacity," Canada would be right there with us. Did you even know that, or are you so fixated on the U.S. that you don't even know/care that your country scored so poorly too?

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman
In a nation called the world's superpower, only 17 percent of young adults in the United States could find Afghanistan on a map, according to a new worldwide survey released today.

Most young people worldwide can't find Afghanistan on a map:

Young adults worldwide are not markedly more literate about geography than the Americans. ... Only about 20 percent could identify hotspots like Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq.

So "about 20%" of non-Americans can locate Afghanistan, Iran, and Iraq on a map. That's a whole lot more who can't than can. And 20% isn't notably more than 17% by any stretch of the imaginiation.

Furthermore:

Of all the young adults in the survey, only about one-third in Germany, Sweden and Japan, could name four countries that officially acknowledge having nuclear weapons. In the rest of the countries that number dropped to less than a quarter. In France 24 percent did not know that that their own country was a nuclear nation.

Link

Yet it's always Americans who are singled out. <_<

Edited by American Woman

I put a map up on my wall when the breakup of the Soviet Union began. I had never heard of a lot of those small countries. A gentleman visiting our house wanted to know if I was a communist. I explained that I was interested in knowing where these places were. He could not understand why I even cared. So much for Canadian literacy.

Another incident happened which I will never forget. At a church meeting years ago when the first problems with water were killing hundreds in Africa our church was allocating some monetory help. One lady objected, she said she was sick of these people and why didn't they just go out and get a job. No one answered her, we were all in shock I think or perhaps some of the people were no wiser than she was.

I never said that others countries did excellently, and actually only the Mexicans did worse than Americans, so I guess that is some consolation for you. The results don't actually say where Canada and the other countries fall, just that they do not do well either, however they did much better than the United States OVERALL, as the survey findings suggests. The reason the posts are fixated on Americans is because in the links I gave for NAtional Geographic, CNN and the survey results, they too are almost entirely fixated on the United States performance, go figure.

I didn't create the survey or the findings, and the survey was conducted by an American company so don't point fingers at me for the poor results.