Why do we have a Governor General?

I may be missing a whole layer of political knowledge here, but please help me understand why do we have a Governor General who also appears to be "Commander-in-Chief of Canada"?

My understanding was Canada is no longer a colony and even less - a Monarchy.

Why do we spend tax money on maintaining political structure dedicated to a foreign country's Monarch?

And why is the Monarch's image on our money?

Now I'm no history expert but I'm pretty sure USA (a former British colony) has none of that...

Should Canada step above its colonial past and promote its own values as a multinational country?

I hope I'm not offending anybody's feelings but some things just strike me as illogical...

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not a colony...But She is the Queen of Canada and Canada is a constitutional monarchy.

We spend zero on maintaining the Crown. The Crown has revenues of their own.

Changing all this would be expensive and pointless not to mention the effect on Morale.

Who would Join the Citizen Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry?

I may be missing a whole layer of political knowledge here, but please help me understand why do we have a Governor General who also appears to be "Commander-in-Chief of Canada"?

Why do we spend tax money on maintaining political structure dedicated to a foreign country's Monarch?

And why is the Monarch's image on our money?

Now I'm no history expert but I'm pretty sure USA (a former British colony) has none of that...

Should Canada step above its colonial past and promote its own values as a multinational country?

I hope I'm not offending anybody's feelings but some things just strike me as illogical...

I'm with you here. Why indeed? It's dumb. Just like our senate - elected or not. We have a really dumb system.

We are not a colony...But She is the Queen of Canada and Canada is a constitutional monarchy.

We spend zero on maintaining the Crown. The Crown has revenues of their own.

Changing all this would be expensive and pointless not to mention the effect on Morale.

Who would Join the Citizen Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry?

Oh, I see...

Did we or could we get a referendum to get rid of "Constitutional Monarchy"? Or at least get Monarch of our own (King of Canada, anyone?)

I read the Gov. General spent over 1 Mil of taxpayer's money on international travel... or am I wrong and she's sponsored by the Queen of England?

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a "Dominion" anyway?

Comes from the latin "dominus" meaning master. We were under the Master of Britain for eons until the 1982 Canada Act.

Same as Dominion of New Zealand and Dom of Newfoundland.

Apparently it was used instead of Kingdom , which was wanted but refused because it may offend the Americans .Obviously a long time ago.

It is not used today. Our name is Canada.

Comes from the latin "dominus" meaning master. We were under the Master of Britain for eons until the 1982 Canada Act.

Same as Dominion of New Zealand and Dom of Newfoundland.

Apparently it was used instead of Kingdom , which was wanted but refused because it may offend the Americans .Obviously a long time ago.

It is not used today. Our name is Canada.

Thanks for the explanation.

I think if Canada is anybody's Dominion, than it is America's (as in United States).

Maybe we should change our political structure so that it properly reflects our allegiances.

Then Harper should address Bush's secretary to dissolve Canadian Parliament, not this Michelle woman :P

Maybe we should change our political structure so that it properly reflects our allegiances.

Or maybe you could just move to the States and save us the trouble of doing that.

Whats wrong with having a Monarch? She doesn't hurt anyone, doesn't tax anyone and is seldom any part at all of the average persons life.

Or maybe you could just move to the States and save us the trouble of doing that.

Whats wrong with having a Monarch? She doesn't hurt anyone, doesn't tax anyone and is seldom any part at all of the average persons life.

Honoring the image of even a token Monarch is honoring a tradition of Authocratic Rule.

I thought Democracy (if that's what we have in Canada) is the opposite that.

Honoring the image of even a token Monarch is honoring a tradition of Authocratic Rule.

I thought Democracy (if that's what we have in Canada) is the opposite that.

Great Britains's Consitututional monarchy predates the russian democracy by .....well when ever the Rusians fugure out how to have a democracy... from that date ....

Great Britains's Consitututional monarchy predates the russian democracy by .....well when ever the Rusians fugure out how to have a democracy... from that date ....

Thank god we don't live in Russia.

But here right beside the "Land of the Free", why does our country need a foreign "Master"?

Thank god we don't live in Russia.

But here right beside the "Land of the Free", why does our country need a foreign "Master"?

It doesn't. Her Majesty is the servant of her people, not the master. Remember, the speech from the Throne is written by her government for her to read.

But these nuances are possibly too subtle for you....

And I guess it doesn't bother anybody to swear allegiance to UK's token Monarch?

If I was a citizne of the UK it wouldn't, but I had no problem swearing allegiance to Elizabeth, Queen of Canada.

Better to swear to her than say, Putin.

I dont know about that. Roman Abramovich certainly would argue. So would a lot of other very very rich men .

If I could swear to him personally, as in " I guyser, swear to cut you ,oh great master Putin , in on the profits of steel company you will give me" ....whats the Aeroflot number again?

I dont know about that. Roman Abramovich certainly would argue. So would a lot of other very very rich men .

If I could swear to him personally, as in " I guyser, swear to cut you ,oh great master Putin , in on the profits of steel company you will give me" ....whats the Aeroflot number again?

LOL :D

Don't forget - it's a "dog eat dog" and "opposition gets shot in the head by the police" world out there...

If I was a citizne of the UK it wouldn't, but I had no problem swearing allegiance to Elizabeth, Queen of Canada.

Well, frankly, I had no problem swearing it either at the Citizenship ceremony.

It did strike me as absurd, however...