Canadian Jets Scrambled

margrace

Canadian Fighter Jets have scrambled as recently as this week to intercept Russian Fighters flying over the Artic says the new commander of Canada's air Force. Encounter took place near Inuvik according to Lt.-General Angus Watt talking to the editorial staff of the Chronicle Herald

Canadian Fighter Jets have scrambled as recently as this week to intercept Russian Fighters flying over the Artic says the new commander of Canada's air Force. Encounter took place near Inuvik according to Lt.-General Angus Watt talking to the editorial staff of the Chronicle Herald

In their NORAD capacity, or as Canadian Forces?

If any come into our airspace, shoot one down. There will be a symbol of arctic sovereignty. Someone needs to smack the Russians around a bit and show them that despite their beliefs, they don't own the whole world. First the flag, now this. We need to send a message.

And I bet you'll volunteer to do the smacking huh?

Good grief what nonesense

Did you know that most countries who have a huge military do that to test the defenses?

get some information before you spout such ignorance

If you go to www.secret-bases.co.uk you'll find that the British and other countries in the area were doing mock war games, Operation Neptune Warrior. The articles said that the Russian came over to get a better look at what was going on and how much power the British had.

Right you are and lets not forget the foray into Syrian airspace by the Israelis....it's all about testing the defenses and resolve of the other

And I bet you'll volunteer to do the smacking huh?

If I knew how to fly a plane, sure.

Did you know that most countries who have a huge military do that to test the defenses?

get some information before you spout such ignorance

I don't care what they are doing, if they violate sovereign airspace, they deserve to be sent a message. The Russians had no qualm about shooting down Gary Powers.

Canadian Fighter Jets defined

Cesna 180 with police specials mounted on the wing, piloted by a flyer who trained on Microsoft Flight Simulators. Their advantage over Russian MiG25 is that they can be fitted with pontoons and can land and stealthily hide behind ice bergs....while evading the enemy.

:lol:

Edited by Posit

Guest American Woman
If any come into our airspace, shoot one down. There will be a symbol of arctic sovereignty. Someone needs to smack the Russians around a bit and show them that despite their beliefs, they don't own the whole world. First the flag, now this. We need to send a message.

What's this about the flag?

As for smacking them down a bit, that the believe they own the whole world-- where is that coming from? They didn't go into any other nations' airspace; they stayed in international airspace, which they have every right to do.

I am not shocked that Russia is playing games with fighter jets and we all should remember it was just a week or two ago when Putin said that yes they were again flying near other countries air space and exchanging smiles with each other. This should again tell you that it is all political manouvering by Russia. The economy of Russia has rebounded some what and they can once again afford these kinds of games. I really would not worry so much that there will be shots fired, but I do think that we scramble our jets just to let them know that we are willing to defend our air space. Call it testing our resolve or defenses or what ever you want, but I think we can safely say that for now it is all just posturing. We could set missel locks on to any plane that comes into our air space, but that is getting more escalated then necessary. We will defend our artic and we will make sure our soveirgn rights are kept in force. If that means a few jets being flown to the edge of our air space, so be it. It is something I believe would should be doing anyway.

Russia is letting the world know that they still are a super power and they are not toothless. I wonder though just how many people did not eat that day, to pay for these new flights. If they are once again able to feed the people and have the military spending, that I feel that is their own business. Russia has been quite friendly to Canadian investors for the last decade or so, but if their communist past, starts showing up again, they will scare most investors away. I am glad though that things have improved some. As when they were in their worse finacial shape, it was really a big threat to the world, because the nuclear arsenal there could have been sold to the black market by the scientists, so they could feed their families. That was probably more dangerous then these flights ever will be.

http://www.thestar.com/article/254603

The encounter took place near Inuvik, N.W.T., inside Canada's air defence identification zone. "It's where we pay attention to people coming in," said Watt. "They were never in our airspace. They were never in our sovereign territory."

The Russians did come within visual range of the Canadian pilots, a more regular occurrence lately. "We take pictures," said Watt.

Is this a strong enough message Geoffrey? ..... "smile, you're in Canadian airspace ..." NEXT TIME, it won't be a camera?

`

Edited by Alexandra

What's this about the flag?

The Russians planted a flag on the North pole, claiming it as theirs. If we don't step up, we're going to lose our energy resources to a state controlled Gazprom and Rosneft. I'm suprised the Americans haven't encouraged us to play a heavier hand here.

As for smacking them down a bit, that the believe they own the whole world-- where is that coming from? They didn't go into any other nations' airspace; they stayed in international airspace, which they have every right to do.

See above. This is about securing massive energy resources. Normally, I wouldn't care as one private company is the same as another to me, but this will presumably be in the name of Gazprom, and that's not something I want to see.

They've already held Eastern Europe as energy hostages in the past. They don't operate for profit but for political ends. We don't want that in the North.

Could I add something here as an Air Weapons Control Officer in the Canadian Airforce. Although I am currently over in Afghanistan I follow events back home at NORAD where I work. It was in fact my crew that did the intercept. They sent me the pics the CF18's took, very nice.

The Russians have been doing this all along, not as much as in the Cold War, but them have been doing it. They are flying simulated strike missions against N America, drilling their bomber crews. Routine!!. We respond as they are bombers from an unaligned nation flying close to our territory.

If a man walked down the sidewalk in front of your house, off your property, but in front of your home, with a shot gun over his shoulder you would want to know what was going on......

Explain your anger that leads you to wish death on people ... who is Gary Powers?

Gary Powers was an American U2 spy plane pilot shot down over Russia in 1960..... The Americans were spying on Russia and got caught.....

Russia bombers flying outside (along side) our airspace are not really spying, anything they want to find out they could get off GOOGLE.......

Canadian fighter pilots do have the right to self defence and can open fire in any airspace if for example the Russia bombers guns started to track them or if the bomber opened its bomb bay and started launching cruise missiles.... not likely, I hope....

Gary Powers was an American U2 spy plane pilot shot down over Russia in 1960..... The Americans were spying on Russia and got caught.....

Russia bombers flying outside (along side) our airspace are not really spying, anything they want to find out they could get off GOOGLE.......

Canadian fighter pilots do have the right to self defence and can open fire in any airspace if for example the Russia bombers guns started to track them or if the bomber opened its bomb bay and started launching cruise missiles.... not likely, I hope....

The Americans were often "caught" spying over Soviet airspace, as were the Brits....what was different about Powers' shootdown was the capability for high altitude intercepts. The Americans knew that the Soviets knew, but for years they couldn't do anything about it. The tradition continued with the SR-71 Blackbird.

NORAD CF-18s cannot/will not shoot down Soviet sorties unless standard ROI and escalation are followed. Fire control radar lock is a common harassment technique, but neither side wants an international incident. If airspace had been violated, there are international protocols to force down the aircraft.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Whatever needs to be done, the Russians need to be stopped before they claim the entire Arctic as theirs. They are already taking the first steps in developing resources for their strategic purposes. That's simply not what we want.

Seems like Bush wasn't too keen to support our claim either when he rambled something about international waters....

We may have to let the Americans have some of it to gain their full support ( which of course will be much more acceptable than

letting the Russkies have it)

Seems like Bush wasn't too keen to support our claim either when he rambled something about international waters....

We may have to let the Americans have some of it to gain their full support ( which of course will be much more acceptable than

letting the Russkies have it)

Don't be so sure about that. The Americans should do whatever is in their best interest, and that doesn't necessarily mean support for bogus Canadian claims any more than Russian.

Don't be so sure about that. The Americans should do whatever is in their best interest, and that doesn't necessarily mean support for bogus Canadian claims any more than Russian.

The US doesn't deny our claim to the land....it is the ocean passages they object to. They contend they are international water and we contend they are within our territory. As such the US recognises our arctic claims, where land exists.....

Guest American Woman

We may have to let the Americans have some of it to gain their full support ( which of course will be much more acceptable than letting the Russkies have it)

What do you mean, "let" us have some of it?

"Under international law, no country owns the North Pole. Instead, the five surrounding Arctic states, Russia, the US, Canada, Norway and Denmark (via Greenland), are limited to a 200-mile economic zone around their coasts."

We've already got as much of it as you do.

Link