Great Canadian Wish List

What are the odds the CBC may give a pro-life person the chance to make their case to the rest of the country? :rolleyes:

Isn't the whole thing about CBC giving the most popular wish a chance to do an editorial, so in this case it looks as if they will have to.

The majority of Canadians agree with limits on late term abortions for obvious reasons; I'm pro choice but not for late term (when the foetus is viable outside the womb IMO )

Isn't the whole thing about CBC giving the most popular wish a chance to do an editorial, so in this case it looks as if they will have to.

The majority of Canadians agree with limits on late term abortions for obvious reasons; I'm pro choice but not for late term (when the foetus is viable outside the womb IMO )

The CBC said they may give the person behind the #1 wish the chance to state their case to the whole country.

Seems like they are giving themselves an out.

Given that Stephen Harper personally may be against abortion but not politically and has said so, and given that abortion is not an issue nor a plank anywhere in the CPC platform as you would have us believe, it doesn't matter. The CBC will continue with their agenda.

Given Stephen Harper's non-opposition to embryonic stem cell research, and given who controls the CBC pursestrings, the outcome is less predictable than some might think.

Embryonic stem cell research on live embryos is not considered ethical by many people, including non conservatives. Many liberals are against abortion on demand it is not a cut and dried issue.

No one is forcing childbirth on anyone. It's easily preventable, just takes a little bit of r-e-s-p-o-n-s-i-b-i-l-i-t-y.

Some of the pro-lifers even want to ban abortions as a result of rape.

Anyways, mistakes happen. Birth control is not 100%. Or do you want us all to remain virgins until we have a steady job...which, for most people, happens at about 30? :lol:

" During that same leadership race, he (Stephen Harper) told The Interim that he opposed embryonic stem cell research and went on to vote against Bill C-13 (on reproductive technologies) last year."

Source: http://www.theinterim.com/2004/mar/01noclc.html

So how do Americans, a conservative bunch relative to Canadians on issues relating to reproduction, view embryonic stem cell research? 68% support it. Only 28%, George Bush among them, oppose it.

Source:http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/15484

Yeah sure. why not pro-life or anti-death? Or pro-responsibility or anti-responsibility? Lets get murder thrown in there for maximum effect...pro-murder or anti-murder.
How abouto a bit of neutrality, such as "pro-choice" and "pro-life" or "baby killers" as opposed to "coat-hangerists"?

What are the odds the CBC may give a pro-life person the chance to make their case to the rest of the country? :rolleyes:

Given Stephen Harper's opposition to abortion and even embryonic stem cell research, and given who controls the CBC pursestrings, the outcome is less predictable than some might think.

Harper's decisions on abortion certainly has the pro-family, anti-abortion, crowd slightly annoyed, wouldn't you say N.chateau? Didn't you state unequivocally Normanchateau that Harper's conservative party is comprised of mainly extreme-social conservatives?

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/jun/060627a.html

Harper returned to politics in 2002 to succeed Day as leader, and, when Day himself entered the race, Harper used Day's social conservatism and pro-life position as a major issue against Day. In fact, at times, it seemed that Harper was more interested in attacking the pro-life movement and social conservatives than he was in staking out his own position in the race against pro-life candidates Day, Grant Hill, and Diane Ablonczy.

Harper's campaign specifically attacked Campaign Life Coalition for its efforts to encourage pro-life supporters to participate in the Canadian Alliance leadership vote.

The anti-abortion so-cons must not have paid attention to their religious/activist groups in 2002 when Harper was elected leader of the Alliance over Stockwell (extreme anti-abortion) Day!

Harper returned to politics in 2002 to succeed Day as leader, and, when Day himself entered the race, Harper used Day's social conservatism and pro-life position as a major issue against Day. In fact, at times, it seemed that Harper was more interested in attacking the pro-life movement and social conservatives than he was in staking out his own position in the race against pro-life candidates Day, Grant Hill, and Diane Ablonczy.

Harper's campaign specifically attacked Campaign Life Coalition for its efforts to encourage pro-life supporters to participate in the Canadian Alliance leadership vote.

With Layton and Martin using the debate in 2004 as their bully pulpit to accuse Harper of being opposed to a woman's right to choose Harper makes it clear they are wrong.

June 15, 2004 Election English debate:

Harper: Let me be very clear on the positions I’ve have taken on that. I want there to be no misunderstanding. I’ve said repeatedly, that I will not, that my Conservative government will not be tabling any legislation impacting in any way a woman’s right to choose.

Layton: Mr. Harper, what if someone brings forward a law that actually comes before parliament? You always counter by saying the government wouldn’t do it, but what if somebody put forward a proposed law that said a woman’s right to choose should be removed? Would you override a decision of the House? Would you take some leadership? Would you hide behind these free votes?

Harper: I won’t be supporting that kind of legislation

Martin: you’ve given us an example, you would take away a woman’s right to choose.

Harper: No I would not Mr. Martin,

Harper: I will not have legislation limiting a woman’s right to choose Mr. Martin.

After searching for Harper's pro-abortion, religious so-con policies, et al. it is interesting to note Normanchateau that you truly do take the prize for fixated propaganda. If Harper was or is an anti-abort, anti-choice, politician as you consistently state then you are obviously one of the few who do. Even the NDP'ers choose their words and spin carefully when it comes to Harper and abortion.

`

No one is forcing childbirth on anyone. It's easily preventable, just takes a little bit of r-e-s-p-o-n-s-i-b-i-l-i-t-y.
Some of the pro-lifers even want to ban abortions as a result of rape.

Anyways, mistakes happen. Birth control is not 100%. Or do you want us all to remain virgins until we have a steady job...which, for most people, happens at about 30? :lol:

Birth control is pretty nearly 100% effective when people are responsible.

I don't want anyone to do anything they don't want to do. If they want to have unprotected sex at 16 let them. I don't care. But I certainly don't want anything to do with the outcomes of their misadventures. At least have them pay for their own abortions.

Harper: I won’t be supporting that kind of legislation

Martin: you’ve given us an example, you would take away a woman’s right to choose.

Harper: No I would not Mr. Martin,

Harper: I will not have legislation limiting a woman’s right to choose Mr. Martin.

After searching for Harper's pro-abortion, religious so-con policies, et al. it is interesting to note Normanchateau that you truly do take the prize for fixated propaganda. If Harper was or is an anti-abort, anti-choice, politician as you consistently state then you are obviously one of the few who do. Even the NDP'ers choose their words and spin carefully when it comes to Harper and abortion.`

Right on, I guess if something is repeated often enough it will be believed.

Has anyone been following this, http://www.cbc.ca/wish/ it's a rather interesting turn of events over the last day or so.

http://www.facebook.com/sgroup/subgroups.php?oid=2392827649

The "Abolish Abortion in Canada" group has moved into first place, which I find rather interesting. Considering the average age range of facebook users I'm a bit surprised that an item that is considered very right wing would be at the top. Could the younger generation be more socially conservative then we thought?

I strongly doubt it. All indications are that the younger generation are more liberal on social issues.

Rather, I'd suspect ballot-stuffing here. It is an extremely common action of activist groups.

Just about any internet derived poll is useless for this reason - they are always targeted by some interested party.

Why?

Unless Harper is putting forth some specific legislation on the issue, I don't care what he thinks about the topic.

Great point.

As an individual Harper has just as much a right to an opinion as anybody else. As Prime Minister he should be judged on what he has done as Prime Minister and what he has said he will do as Prime Minister. Not on *scary* *scary* *scary*.

The pro-life side is now leading by 1,500 members on Facebook.