Tory Whistleblower

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070510/...onal/senate_spy

Initial media reports suggested the senators, led by Liberal Colin Kenny, knew in advance that they wouldn't get into Afghanistan but took the trip anyway. They reportedly held only one meeting in Dubai, where they paid up to $500 a night for rooms in a posh hotel.

The senators, including Tory Michael Meighen, vehemently denounced the reports as exaggerated and factually incorrect.

Subsequently, an e-mail from Kroeker to an employee at the Dubai hotel surfaced. In it, Kroeker asked the employee to send him invoices for the four senators, including a "detailed breakdown for each room," meals and "any and all sundry costs associated with the stay."

The matter was referred to the Senate's internal economy committee which gave Kroeker a chance to testify, in the presence of his lawyer.

In the report tabled Thursday, the committee concludes that Kroeker misrepresented himself in order to gather "unpublished, confidential information," including personal information regarding "identifiable indviduals."

"By identifying himself as a Senate employee and asking for the information, Mr. Kroeker represented to the hotels from which he asked the information that he was entitled to it."

The report says Kroeker testified that he decided on his own, without the knowledge of LeBreton or anyone else in her office, to gather and disseminate the information to the media.

It concludes that his conduct was "inappropriate and unethical" and a breach of Senate rules on access to information and privacy.

It would appear he was promoted.

Apparently, it is okay to freelance in the minister's office without their knowledge and go to the media.

The report says Kroeker testified that he decided on his own, without the knowledge of LeBreton or anyone else in her office, to gather and disseminate the information to the media.

It says, "it concludes that his conduct was inappropritae and unethical, and a breach of Senate rules on access to information and privacy."

I can't however, find the part that says he broke the law.

It says, "it concludes that his conduct was inappropritae and unethical, and a breach of Senate rules on access to information and privacy."

Wasn't the guy arrested at the Environment office not charged? Apparently, he didn't break the law either.

This appeared in the article as well:

"At the time of the leak, Kroeker was a senior aide to Marjory LeBreton, the government's leader in the Senate and secretary of state for seniors' issues. He is currently director of communications and parliamentary affairs for Helena Guergis, secretary of state for foreign affairs."

Sounds suspiciously like engaging in unethical and inappropriate conduct for the Conservatives results in an apparent promotion to director of communications and parliamentary affairs!

Wasn't the guy arrested at the Environment office not charged? Apparently, he didn't break the law either.

Maybe he was given a break? Just a slap on the wrist?

I stole your wallet. You report it to the cops. The cops found out it was me who stole it....came and handcuffed me, and took me to the station. In the meantime, you decided not to file any charges. To just let it drop.

What I did was still a crime, wasn't it?

This appeared in the article as well:

"At the time of the leak, Kroeker was a senior aide to Marjory LeBreton, the government's leader in the Senate and secretary of state for seniors' issues. He is currently director of communications and parliamentary affairs for Helena Guergis, secretary of state for foreign affairs."

Sounds suspiciously like engaging in unethical and inappropriate conduct for the Conservatives results in an apparent promotion to director of communications and parliamentary affairs!

It would be interesting to know who decided that this merited a promotion.

It's really sad that some people are so rabidly partisan that they are incapable of logical thought. That one can try to compare a political aid releasing information about politicians' allegedly exorbitant spending to a government employee violating security and confidentiality laws in order to act politically against the government is a testimony to how fanatic support for or against one political party can completely blind one to any kind of truth.

The really absurd part about this is that if it were a Liberal government the same person here would be denouncing any criticism of its actions and decrying the criminal misbehavior of the employee.

Hey J, you've started FOUR threads in 30 minutes, what gives?

When this Liberal gets upset, he posts new topics.

At 22 posts a day(that's a lot of time posting every day), I think he's totally obsessed with the Conservatives running his Liberal government and he wants it back.

Maybe he's a Liberal mole.

At 22 posts a day(that's a lot of time posting every day), I think he's totally obsessed with the Conservatives running his Liberal government and he wants it back.

Maybe that's a personal attack.

I have asked the moderator if the policy on personal attacks is still in effect.

I don't why you're doing this. I am not taking personal issue with you nor am I attacking you. I make no reference to you in my posts. I am not criticizing you in my replies. If you feel I have somehow attacked you, I apologize.

Why?

Shouldn't the person determine if a crime has been committed or whether they've been wronged instead?

Stealing is a crime. What that guy did was apparently a crime. That's why he got arrested and handcuffed.

The only possible reason I see why no formal charges were laid was simply because....he was given a break.

From what I heard from the guests of MDuffy Live yesterday, this man was described as a "young man."

Anyway, according to MDuffy, some high-profile environmentalists like Suzuki had gotten the tv crew involved (the young guy looking well-groomed before the cameras - in contrast to how he looked like prior to the incident)...and yet, not one of these celebrities wanted to come forward and be interviewed by Mduffy.

MDuffy also raises the question about partisanship involving those non-partisan groups who enjoy a tax-free privilege like the environmental groups ...where to draw the line.

Stealing is a crime. What that guy did was apparently a crime. That's why he got arrested and handcuffed.

The only possible reason I see why no formal charges were laid was simply because....he was given a break.

From what I heard from the guests of MDuffy Live yesterday, this man was described as a "young man."

Anyway, according to MDuffy, some high-profile environmentalists like Suzuki had gotten the tv crew involved (the young guy looking well-groomed before the cameras - in contrast to how he looked like prior to the incident)...and yet, not one of these celebrities wanted to come forward and be interviewed by Mduffy.

MDuffy also raises the question about partisanship involving those non-partisan groups who enjoy a tax-free privilege like the environmental groups ...where to draw the line.

Who had the authority to offer him a break? The cops must follow the law unless they were not able to ascertain that any law was actually broken. The Crown can withdraw charges if they don't have enough evidence but I didn't hear that a Crown even looked at the case.

I'm not sure he was actually guilty of a crime.

It's really sad that some people are so rabidly partisan that they are incapable of logical thought. That one can try to compare a political aid releasing information about politicians' allegedly exorbitant spending to a government employee violating security and confidentiality laws in order to act politically against the government is a testimony to how fanatic support for or against one political party can completely blind one to any kind of truth.

The really absurd part about this is that if it were a Liberal government the same person here would be denouncing any criticism of its actions and decrying the criminal misbehavior of the employee.

Since four Conservatives also condemned this person for impersonating and officer of the Senate, how partisan do you think this is?

Also, if laws were broken in the first case, why were charges not pressed?

LOL think they are being paid :D

Who had the authority to offer him a break? The cops must follow the law unless they were not able to ascertain that any law was actually broken. The Crown can withdraw charges if they don't have enough evidence but I didn't hear that a Crown even looked at the case.

I'm not sure he was actually guilty of a crime.

I'm not familiar about arrests and charges. I'm speculating though that the government may have decided not to file any criminal charges after all. Perhaps they think losing his job might be enough punishment.

I'm not familiar about arrests and charges. I'm speculating though that the government may have decided not to file any criminal charges after all. Perhaps they think losing his job might be enough punishment.

I've heard no government or police spokesman saying they gave him a break. The whole incident is rather confusing. Police don't arbitrarily make arrests with handcuffs and then release without a reason. I just don't know what the reason is. It could be that no crime was committed.

As Ezra Levant says: On the subject of his anarchism, it's worth reminding Canadians that anarchists are not just a bunch of fun-loving, rule-breaking frat boys, but that they adhere to a malevolent, violent worldview. Thankfully, though, they are often too inept and misguided to do any real harm, except for the Earth Liberation types in recent years. Check out this list of anarchist subjects (including Fun! With Random, Senseless Vandalism; General Department Store Destruction; How to screw-over public utilities; More Fun Stuff for Terrorists; Mail Box Bombs; and The Joys of a Vendetta) to see just how twisted these losers are.

Here's a nice little anarchist paper: http://www.softskull.com/detailedbook.php?isbn=1-887128-44-5 (bomb the suberbs? )

I've heard no government or police spokesman saying they gave him a break. The whole incident is rather confusing. Police don't arbitrarily make arrests with handcuffs and then release without a reason. I just don't know what the reason is. It could be that no crime was committed.

If there was no crime committed, you think this guy, the environmentalists, et al wouldn't seize the moment?

This guy will be on every talk show.....starting with Mike Duffy! Lol.

If there was no crime committed, you think this guy, the environmentalists, et al wouldn't seize the moment?

I believe they did. Men behind bars don't have news conferences.

I believe they did. Men behind bars don't have news conferences.

What the Liberals were trying exploit was that "handcuffing him was excessive." Nobody had come out to say he did not commit any crime.