Poll for Conservative Supporters

How much are you willing to pay?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a confession to make. I was the first "I don't care if he bankrupts the nation...." vote. I thought it would be satirical to leave posters wondering who in their right mind would think that it's worth bankrupting a nation just to see your guy win an election.

Having seen that FOUR!!! people thought exactly that, all I can hope is that I was not the only person being facetious.

I have a confession to make. I was the first "I don't care if he bankrupts the nation...." vote. I thought it would be satirical to leave posters wondering who in their right mind would think that it's worth bankrupting a nation just to see your guy win an election.

Having seen that FOUR!!! people thought exactly that, all I can hope is that I was not the only person being facetious.

It looks like to me that the 4 are probably Alliance supporters, because Cons don't want the govt spending money, they rather keep it to themselves.

I'll 'fess up too -- I voted on behalf of Michael Bluth.

What's it worth to Conservatives to see Harper's regime survive?

You have to do the math properly. Suppose he pays $100M to Quebec, well, that's down the tubes. But, if the Liberals go in it would be $200M, and then on top of that there'd be another $100m stolen. So we're actually ahead by $200M with the Tories.

It looks like to me that the 4 are probably Alliance supporters, because Cons don't want the govt spending money, they rather keep it to themselves.

Interesting observation (though completely invalid). I thought that being a conservative meant that I wanted to keep more of my income, and have my own choices in how to spend it. That's definitely not what this CPC government is about, it's about taking more of my income, and directing me even more in how I am allowed to spend it.

No thanks.

The poll at the top shows a misread of the situation. The Tories are doing better in Quebec than they have in a very long time. More money is not what's needed.

shark, it's not a matter of a misread. Figleaf is a little "out there" and sees it as a divine mission to bring down the tyrannical Conservative Government by any means necessary. You'd think there would be a better outlet to accomplish his goals than by posting strange polls on a random message board.

Figleaf is a little "out there" and sees it as a divine mission to bring down the tyrannical Conservative Government by any means necessary.

Yes, and you should all join my secret Fight Club army!

You'd think there would be a better outlet to accomplish his goals than by posting strange polls on a random message board.

See above!

:lol:

I will vote Conservative because for once we have a government that does not want to be all things to all people. Both the Liberal and the NDP want Canadians to be beholden to government for virtually everything. Let people start making decisions for themselves for a change. The following was an article outlining a Fraser Institute Report dealing basically with big government.

Fraser Institute Report

Taxpayers becoming slaves for government

By Klaus Rohrich

Friday, April 20, 2007

It appears that the transformation of Canada's people into tax slaves is now complete. A report issued by the Fraser Institute just last week has determined that the average Canadian family's largest expenditure involves taxes. The authors revealed that the average annual income of the typical Canadian family is just over $63,000 per year. Of that food shelter and clothing account for approximately 35% (about $22,000), while taxes eat up an astounding 44.9%, nearly $30,000 per year.

What's so remarkable is that every single level of government from the federal to the provincial, to the county to the municipal is clamoring for more money. What's wrong with this picture?

What's worse is that most Canadians seem to have accepted both the confiscatory taxation as well as the incompetence on the part of the burgeoning bureaucracy that appears to lumber from crisis to crisis.

If you think there's something amiss with our society, then chances are you're a sentient human being whose brain hasn't been poisoned by a steady diet of "Oprah" and "American Idol". The fact that providing daycare has become such an important issue, both socially and politically, is directly related to the high level of taxation with which Canadians are currently burdened. Imagine, it takes two breadwinners in a family to make ends meet. One works solely to support the crushing taxes that government has imposed on the citizens, while the other works to provide for the needs of the family.

God help you if you are a single parent, because then the game gets interesting. For openers you are absolutely dependent on some form of child care, as without it you could never make ends meet. What's worse, your decisions at the polls on election day are not driven by what's best for the country, but what's best for you, as you depend to a large degree on the largesse of the government to provide or subsidize your daycare.

Some months ago, the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives issued an alarming report that indicated that the rich were getting richer, while the rest of us were losing ground. Somehow the report attempted to imply that the rich were getting richer on the backs of the poor. It missed the real point by a country mile. People are losing ground economically because of high taxes. In addition our tax burden is crippling us economically as it affects the overall productivity of the country.

Consider that in 1961 the average Canadian family earned around $5,000 per year. Single parents were almost unheard of and most families had a stay at home mom to raise the children. Back then that family's tax burden was $1675 per year. Today, nearly 50 years later, the average family's income has increased by a factor of 12.5, but the tax burden has increased during that same time period by a factor of 18, meaning that taxes have grown at 1.5 times the rate of income.

Want to venture a guess on where this is heading? Mathematically, with taxes continuing to rise at that rate and productivity continuing to fall, it is inevitable that someday families will be forced to pay 100% of their income in taxes in an effort to keep the bloated corpse we call a government from rotting away completely.

It seems the Liberals were looking way ahead of the curve when they enacted their gun control legislation all those years ago. If I were a Canadian politician I wouldn't be comfortable with an armed population either. Judging by the recent budget brought down by Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, I'd guess that Stephen Harper will not abolish the Gun Registry any time soon.

Klaus Rohrich is a columnist with Canada Free Press. Klaus can be reached at: [email protected].

I will vote Conservative because for once we have a government that does not want to be all things to all people. Both the Liberal and the NDP want Canadians to be beholden to government for virtually everything. Let people start making decisions for themselves for a change. The following was an article outlining a Fraser Institute Report dealing basically with big government.

Except that the Conservatives mean even bigger government than the Liberals. I'm a fan of small government, I won't be voting for the Conservatives.

I will vote Conservative because for once we have a government that does not want to be all things to all people. Both the Liberal and the NDP want Canadians to be beholden to government for virtually everything. Let people start making decisions for themselves for a change. The following was an article outlining a Fraser

In what way have the Tories reduced spending? Their budget is way over what they promised in the election.

Except that the Conservatives mean even bigger government than the Liberals. I'm a fan of small government, I won't be voting for the Conservatives.

Because if the Liberals get in, or better yet, a minority Liberal government propped up by the NDP, the government will shrink, right?

Because if the Liberals get in, or better yet, a minority Liberal government propped up by the NDP, the government will shrink, right?

Exactly. The Conservatives are the best option out there for fiscal conservatives. That's as good as they are going to do, so just sit on the sidelines and bitch and moan. Fiscal conservatives somehow don't see the necessary tradeoffs for governing.

The Conservatives used to say they were the only ones who could defeat the deficit as well. They didn't.

Given that spending is rising even faster than previous Liberal governments, the Tories can't really say that the Liberals would do worse.

Fiscally? Who knows, we'll have to wait and see. Even the Martin minority propped up by Jack Layton didn't spend as much as this government.

At the very least though, Liberals stand for staying out of Iraq, decriminalization of marijuana, same-sex marriage etc... It's funny how Conservatives always criticize the left for wanting big government, but they conveniently forget that those on the right want big government when it comes to social issues.

Fiscally? Who knows, we'll have to wait and see. Even the Martin minority propped up by Jack Layton didn't spend as much as this government.

It promised to. It made all sorts of promises to spend money all mostly junk. I can't see how the Conservatives are wasting a whole lot of money on pointless programs that we don't need. So far all anyone has been able to point to is money to Quebec and a few other comparatively small projects.

At the very least though, Liberals stand for staying out of Iraq, decriminalization of marijuana, same-sex marriage etc...

Oh please. The Liberals don't stand for or on anything. The Liberals will blow wherever the poll winds take them.

It's funny how Conservatives always criticize the left for wanting big government, but they conveniently forget that those on the right want big government when it comes to social issues.

How do the conservatives want big government on social issues? A law is not big government. Huge, expensive programs are big government.

The Conservatives used to say they were the only ones who could defeat the deficit as well. They didn't.

Given that spending is rising even faster than previous Liberal governments, the Tories can't really say that the Liberals would do worse.

Spending ALWAYS rises in minority governments because they have to not only woo the voters but please whoever they've made deals with to support them in the house. But a Liberal/NDP government would spend a lot more because, as we've seen from attitudes around here, the Left simply does not care what things cost.

It promised to. It made all sorts of promises to spend money all mostly junk. I can't see how the Conservatives are wasting a whole lot of money on pointless programs that we don't need. So far all anyone has been able to point to is money to Quebec and a few other comparatively small projects.

You have a reference to show how much they promised?

Oh please. The Liberals don't stand for or on anything. The Liberals will blow wherever the poll winds take them.

You don't have an actual rebuttal?

A law is not big government.

Unnecessary laws are just as "big government" as unnecessary spending. Government interfering in people's lives? Prosecuting them for something that does not harm anyone else? Yeah, I'd call that big government.

Oh well, at least the Conservative Party of Canada is not as right-wing as those who want the government to control what a person can and can't do with their body. Now THERE'S big government.