Tories Extend Gun Registry

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

The Conservatives are giving hundreds of thousands of long gun owners in Canada a reprieve -- exempting them from having to obtain licenses for another year, CTV News has learned.

The Harper government, which has long been trying to abolish the federal gun registry, says long gun owners now have until May 2008 to register their weapons.

The move is being applauded by firearms advocates who have opposed the registry for years.

They announced it quietly but it isn't likely to stay that way.

Not exactly the issue to win female voters.

Do you think mandatory minimum sentences will do anything for crime? Or are they a waste of money too?

Most crime in Canada is committed by a very small percentage of the population, most are repeat offenders. Three strikes and your out for violent crimes without exception would be much more effective than registering hunting rifles.

Of course mandatory minimums would be effective. You can't commit crimes in the general public if your in jail.

Those that register their guns aren't shooting people with them.

Oh, I'm sure there is a few. You see people rob corner stores with shotguns and the such, and occassionally the crazed farmer will take a shot at some kids goffing around on his land.

But I doubt if these are the types that register their firearms. I know if I was going to commit a crime, I don't think I'd register first... but hey, maybe I'm more rational than the typical criminal.

I doubt I'd register anyways. It's not really the government's business.

It's a massive waste of taxpayer money. A billion bucks over a couple of years can certainly hire many police officers.

Depends if it was stolen due to their negligence (improper storage) or due to some really good criminal (breaking into the vault, picking the individual cable locks and the trigger locks).

Ideally, guns wouldn't be stolen if people stored them properly, so yes sure, if they get stolen they should be responsible to some extend.

People don't often steal long guns... like I said, I'm sure it happens, but it's not worth billions to stop it. If someone has a handgun stolen from them, then I can definitely see criminal charges against the owner of the handgun for improper storage, there is no excuse there.

People don't often steal long guns... like I said, I'm sure it happens, but it's not worth billions to stop it. If someone has a handgun stolen from them, then I can definitely see criminal charges against the owner of the handgun for improper storage, there is no excuse there.

I agree (I guess that's similar to what I was getting at asking how many crimes were committed by long guns).

As I said before, I'd support a ban (or registry) on handguns....but long guns? I'd need to see some statistics on how many crimes are committed by long guns, whether those guns would be registered (and I agree that criminals aren't going to reister their gun), and how many long guns are stolen (and therefore likely to be used in a crime). Somehow I don't think it would change my mind.

I could see some good coming from this registry, if it were free or nearly free. But a billion dollars? I think that money could be better spent.

How many crimes are committed with long guns anyways?

I can understand a handgun registry (actually, I could understand a complete ban on handguns) but I'm not so sure about a long gun registry that costs a billion or so.

The killings in the US this week, was done by a long gun and they still don't know how he was able to go in the building with it and not be noticed.

Such a registry will do absolutely nothing for crime. It's a waste of money.

Do you think mandatory minimum sentences will do anything for crime? Or are they a waste of money too?

Well if the criminals are in jail they won't be able to commit more crimes. Isn't that the point of Jail?

Such a registry will do absolutely nothing for crime. It's a waste of money.

Well, if you think the registry was designed to prevent crime, you are mistaken.

Let's try this one........

Fingerprints will do absolutely nothing for crime. It is a waste of money.

The Conservatives are giving hundreds of thousands of long gun owners in Canada a reprieve -- exempting them from having to obtain licenses for another year, CTV News has learned.

Conservative Gun Control Plan

From Susan Munroe,

Stephen Harper has spelled out the Conservative Party policy on gun control. Releasing the Conservative Party plan for Canada's criminal justice system on June 1, 2004, Harper said that if his party is elected they will cancel the Canadian gun registry and redirect funds allocated for it to front-line law enforcement.

The Conservative Party plan says that current gun control laws, including the provisions for registration of firearms, would be replaced by a practical firearms control system that is cost-effective and respects the "rights" of Canadians to own and use guns responsibly.

The plan also says there should be stronger penalties for those who use guns to commit a crime.

http://canadaonline.about.com/od/conservat...sguncontrol.htm

Thought they were going to scrap it? Apparently, another lie.

I just read the whole link that started this thread, and Tory critics are accusing Harper of trying to quietly scrap the registry since he can't do it by legislation.

The reason they can't do it by legislation is they are a minority government, and do not have the votes to scrap it. But they can extend the exemption on long gun owners, which gives the Tories another year to win a majority and then end the registry.

It's not even close to a flip flop, did you read the whole link?

Fingerprints will do absolutely nothing for crime. It is a waste of money.

Fingerprinting helps the police solve crimes. The question is, can the gun registry do the same?

How would the gun registry solve crimes? The only people who have registered are very unlikely to then take them from their lockup, rob the local 7-11, then put Ol Smokey back in the rack for another holdup.

Fingerprinting , and the gun registry, do nothing to prevent crime.

Thought they were going to scrap it? Apparently, another lie.

... Tory critics are accusing Harper of trying to quietly scrap the registry since he can't do it by legislation.

The reason they can't do it by legislation is they are a minority government, and do not have the votes to scrap it. But they can extend the exemption on long gun owners, which gives the Tories another year to win a majority and then end the registry.

It's not even close to a flip flop, did you read the whole link?

Of course, I did, I just wanted this type of response, to point out to people, that yes, indeed, the CPC do have a hidden agenda and are waiting to try to get a majority. This is in face of the reality, that any majority they would get, would not be of the majority of Canadians will. FPTP's time is over.

Of course, I did, I just wanted this type of response, to point out to people, that yes, indeed, the CPC do have a hidden agenda and are waiting to try to get a majority. This is in face of the reality, that any majority they would get, would not be of the majority of Canadians will. FPTP's time is over.

How's it hidden if they tell people they are going to cancel it?

I don't think their agenda is hidden, but hidden sounds better than evil.....That being said, the Harper Gov't has been the best gov't in my opinion in the last few years. The reason they have been good is because they have to walk softly with a minority.

I wish them 10 more years of minority rule.....