Emmerson says He Wishes He Would've Stayed With the Liberals

Catchme

The Grand Hall at the Canadian Museum of Civilization was packed for the Canadian Arab Business Council annual gala dinner..The keynote speaker that night was international trade minister and floor-crosser David Emerson.

The chairman of the CABC and VP for government relations for oil and gas company Nexen Inc., Dwain Lingenfelter, introduced Emerson as an MP who has seen things from "a few perspectives" in Ottawa. When the minister took the podium, he said that when he told Bill Graham he was going to leave the Liberals and cross the floor, the interim leader told him that he might regret it and to think twice.

Emerson shocked the crowd when he said he wished he had listened to Graham.

LOLOLOL

http://www.macleans.ca/homepage/magazine/a...5_103074_103074

It was an Ottawa joke.

Along the same lines, the column has this:

After the unveiling ceremony, Laureen Harper, wearing a stellar grey suit with pink pinstripes, told Michaëlle Jean's husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, that she, a few girlfriends and the PM caught the Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore film Music and Lyrics on Valentine's Day. "It's a chick flick," Mrs. Harper hastened to explain to the former professor of philosophy.

Take pride. Canadian taxpayers have contributed to world peace and understanding by making it possible for Jean-Daniel Lafond and Laureen Teskey to understand one another in an arrosé event.

Katimavik for the jet set.

No, do not think it was a joke, the audience was shocked. So it was set in a tone of seriousness when said.

The snip that you put forward to try to support your contention is a red herring.

But even more telling regarding that snip and what it says, is Harper's lack of respect and true feelings were exposed.

Harper went with wife to a chick flick on Valentine's Day.

What were the other party leaders doing?

all the other party leaders were at a special tribute dinner in the West Block put on by the Canadian Muslim Network for Maher Arar and his wife, Monia Mazigh. The PM was invited, but the CMN said the Tories instead offered Jason Kenney, secretary of state for multiculturalism and Canadian identity. The CMN told the Conservatives it was party leaders or no one. At the dinner, Arar was presented with a framed copy of his apology letter from Stephen Harper, which included the carefully chosen words, "Although the events occurred under the last government, please rest assured that this government will do everything in its power to ensure that the issues raised by Commissioner O'Connor are addressed."

I just betcha, Arar believes the "NEW" government will do its best, Harper would not even attend a dinner where "his letter" was being presented as special tribute.

It seems, the only portions of the "New" government, that are willing to do anything positive, and supportive, in regards to "Muslims" and how they are negatively and wrongly they are being treated, is the opposition, and of course Emmerson.

No, do not think it was a joke, the audience was shocked. So it was set in a tone of seriousness when said.

How'd you get tickets to the event?

Good question sounds like she was there how else would she know how the audience reacted and all, hmmm

I wasn't there, but I did read it in the article. Might work for you too.

From the article

So everything in the media is absolutely true, journalists have no spin?

I figure if Emerson said that seriously, it'd be a much larger news story than in some obscure article in Macleans. It's not even in the title of the article. From a Liberal news magazine/rag, I expect that such a damning statement would be page 1 and likely at least have a headline.

It was a joke. It got two sentences. Read it in context.

Sorry to rain on your parade there.

I figure if Emerson said that seriously, it'd be a much larger news story than in some obscure article in Macleans. It's not even in the title of the article. From a Liberal news magazine/rag, I expect that such a damning statement would be page 1 and likely at least have a headline.

Maybe it's a big con-spiricy.

It's not even in the title of the article. From a Liberal news magazine/rag, I expect that such a damning statement would be page 1 and likely at least have a headline.

I always find it so amusing when I hear refer to Maclean's as a leftie mag.

Would you believe I didn't renew my subscription because I find it too right-wing?

Like I keep saying.... perception is nothing but a reflection of one's own beliefs and convictions.

I always find it so amusing when I hear refer to Maclean's as a leftie mag.

Would you believe I didn't renew my subscription because I find it too right-wing?

I stopped getting Maclean's because it just wasn't that good after all the changes.

Your not the only one, I've heard that from many people. I never picked it up because I thought it was far too left-wing, too focused on central Canada.

Their university rankings in particular frustrated me... completely biased, their methodology makes no sense at all from a student's perspective.

I think all in all, Macleans was just such an irrational rag that it frustrated people on both sides to the point where everyone kind of gave up on it. It never really updated itself with the times, it's editorial sounds like it's from the 60's.

It's out of touch with reality perhaps?

I think that the magazines rep was hurt when a large portion of universities refused to take part in the Macleans ranking for universities. Personally I don't blame them.

The rankings are so twisted. The unfortunate thing is that people applied the ratings to professional and science programs, when really, it reviewed only your typical general undergrad stuff.

I had friends go to St. FX because it was the highest rated... and they are taking business. When you look at the salary survey's, that quality isn't reflected. Sure, it may be the highest quality teaching in general studies, but when your looking at professional programs (business, engineering, social work, ect.) you look for things like years of industry experience, industry training programs, quality of post-graduation jobs, salaries.

Nothing of that sort is in included in the survey, despite Macleans marketing it like the be all and end all of university reputations.

That's my person disagreement with it, it rates the UofC for example last or second last almost every year because 1st year class sizes are huge and most are not taught by tenured profs.

Well, my average first year class size was about 45 and now it's in the 20's. Pretty good if you ask me. All my profs in the business faculty have been industry professionals with 10+ years, the best type of teachers/mentors available (we actually stole a bunch of the top from Ivey@UWO and McGill).

My friends over in engineering and in geo-sciences agree.

The reason that the UofC, and some others, do so poorly is that they don't specialize in the areas that Macleans loves, English, Philosophy, Journalism... ect. ect., whatever. You'll find that common trend throughout their rankings.

So now he wants to go back...or go to the NDP....he is trying all the parties out for size? ;)

Maybe with a writ drop coming, it may be hard for him to run as a CPC in that riding?

The Grand Hall at the Canadian Museum of Civilization was packed for the Canadian Arab Business Council annual gala dinner..The keynote speaker that night was international trade minister and floor-crosser David Emerson.

The chairman of the CABC and VP for government relations for oil and gas company Nexen Inc., Dwain Lingenfelter, introduced Emerson as an MP who has seen things from "a few perspectives" in Ottawa. When the minister took the podium, he said that when he told Bill Graham he was going to leave the Liberals and cross the floor, the interim leader told him that he might regret it and to think twice.

LOLOLOL

http://www.macleans.ca/homepage/magazine/a...5_103074_103074

Once a turn coat - always a turn coat.

Looking for the best return on a minimll investment.

Borg