Quebec Election: 26 March 2007

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else notice Jean Charest is currently losing in his riding of Sherbrooke?

If he win's government it'll be like Don Getty. That is, if he loses his riding.

Bourassa lost his own seat as well but won the election.

Bourassa lost his own seat as well but won the election.

However, he won a majority government. It's obvious that the only real winner here is the ADQ and Mario Dumont. Charest was supposed to be headed for another majority, but failed to keep his numbers up, and for some reason I have a feeling Boisclair won't be around for much longer.

Charest is currently trailing by 1000 votes.

CBC calls it for the Liberals

...too bad he might not win his own seat...

A Liberal minority with the ADQ as official opposition is a good combination. It might even be a stable government for several years - although both the PLQ and ADQ will be looking over their shoulders at the polls to see if they should go to an election.

Dumont has a big caucus so he has lots of broad shoulders to help him get the job done. The ADQ will become a government in waiting.

----

Radio-Canada just announced Charest as defeated. (Couillard was re-elected.) I wonder what Charest will do? Polls gave Charest after all as the best leader in Quebec. But Charest seems to have lost the passion of the game.

----

It is the PQ that should do some serious soul-searching. I just saw Bernard Drainville in interview. He is seriously upset (despite winning his seat).

Boisclair should resign tonight.

Who will be the next leader? The pequistes still believe that they can win! They just need a charismatic leader! (Henri-Paul Rousseau will save them!) They lost too many votes to the QS!

I fear that the Montreal, pequiste elite will refuse to accept the facts and, like the Americans in Vietnam, declare victory and go home.

For Mr. Harper, however, there was more at stake in Monday’s vote than just whether Mr. Charest remained premier of Quebec. Conservatives were also closely watching the rise of the ADQ, whose positions mirror those of the Tories in several respects, to see just how much support there might be on the ground for a Conservative point of view.
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=54b3d383-f0f9-4a92-a720-6f39217063ee&k=0

Bit of an upset tonight. The CBC, as usual, calls it a "protest vote", which is what they call it anytime anyone to the right of Che pulls out ahead, but it's obviously more than that. It's part of a sea change in politics.

Radio-Canada just announced Charest as defeated. (Couillard was re-elected.) I wonder what Charest will do? Polls gave Charest after all as the best leader in Quebec. But Charest seems to have lost the passion of the game.

Watch for Charest the Conservative(once again) heading back to Ottawa in the next Federal election.

Nevermind.

Watch for Charest the Conservative(once again) heading back to Ottawa in the next Federal election.
Charest is not that old. But I think he might prefer to be Ambassador in Paris or something.

If he says nothing tonight about getting a seat in the NA then that'll be the tip off that he wants out.

Couillard would be a redoubtable Liberal leader.

-----

Vincent Marissal noted tonight the remarkable "wisdom" of Quebec voters. They want to give Dumont experience but they want the Liberals to have another mandate. They don't want a referendum. I'm not certain that Quebecers really want Charest as PM.

So, by the luck of the draw (or the luck of the vote splits) and even the voters in Sherbrooke, Quebec got all of those things.

I think Quebec was simply getting tired of the old soveriegnty debate. In the end I think this will be good for Quebec, and hopefully in the future we'll see the PQ lose more and more influence, and Quebec will instead look at government policies instead of what government would hold a referendum.

I'm curious, do you think most quebecers who voted for the ADQ voted for the ADQ or against the Liberals?
Good question. A bit of both.

If the Liberals and Charest had been more popular, they would have won a majority. If Boisclair and the PQ were less unpopular, they would have won.

Dumont and ADQ offer a way out of the impasse.

As Dumont said in his speech tonight, Quebecers want a government that governs for ordinary people rather than playing politics.

If your question is asking whether Harper will get these ADQ votes, the answer is largely yes.

----

IMV, Boisclair's speech amounted to a resignation speech. (It was also a little strange because he referred to making the Quebec people a country and then spoke about "Quebec as an element within Canada".

Dumont's speech? He clearly plans to be Prime Minister of Quebec. (BTW, the crowd yelled "Mario! Mario!" Dumont said nothing in English.)

Radio Canada - ever the Montreal plateau elite - insists on seeing Dumont in separtaist/federalist terms. They are now comparing Dumont to Bourassa (but noting too that Dumont said A la prochine! like Levesque. R-C simply cannot leave this dichotomy.

Well, the DGE phone call seemed to give some energy to Charest. (They say missing a bullet is one of the most exalting experiences.)

The crowd shouted Charest! Charest! and Charest seemed happy to accept the challenge of a minority government. He also was open to say that the "classe politique" was guilty and had to change. (BTW, Charest alone spoke a few words in English.)

In some ways, it will be easier for Charest to govern now. I think William Davis had a minority government in Ontario and did well.

The real problem though will appear in a year or so. Dumont wants Charest's job. So does Couillard (and R-C seems to want to feed that internal Liberal tension).

Quebec politics changed tonight. First minority government in anyone's lifetime. And for the first time in over 30 years, the two lead parties are not going to be sniping about a "sovereign Quebec" or the "federal carcan".

Finally, teh Quebec people have brought their politicians down a notch or two.

Flipping through threads, I found this from several weeks ago:

I see 3 possible scenario:

1st) The ADQ get more vote than expected specially in the same region where the conservative won, the PQ do bad, the adq win a minority/majority government.

Several weeks before an event, I read about it.

This is one reason I read this forum and participate here. Intelligent posters such as bakunin, and several others.

I have no desire to read about the World Trade Conspiracy or other complex nonsense in these forums. Greg, please ban such posters.

But Greg, people also come here to read intelligent comments - please discern the intelligent from the nonsensical. IOW, for several seconds, the Wright Brothers' plane was aloft.