Clerics at Mosques in England

sharkman

So how, again, does that make Muslim immigrants more likely to embrace North American popular culture?
It does not make them MORE likely. That was not the assertion.

Everything is relative. I am saying that the howls of an anti-Western imam may as well fall on deaf ears because pop culture is more exciting.

So, although crappy pop-culture more or less confirms Sheikh Yoyo's opinion of western society, his flock won't care, because they'll be too busy surfing the internet trying to get a peek at Britney's box?

...I guess that could work...

-k

When Muslims come to Canada from countries where conservative values are the norm and the view that western culture is the immoral filth, I doubt that they'll change their minds. Their kids will probably feel differently, but they themselves, no. Is pop culture really that compelling? I'm not sure...
Western culture?

I saw an interesting sight recently in a west Montreal discount store. To put this in common words, a Jew wearing a cap was buying something from a Muslim wearing a scarf.

Simple transactions using money are good because they eliminate so much prejudice. It's just a question of the best price.

Pop culture may or may not be compelling but the salary of the young scarfed Muslim cashier probably is. She wasn't working in a family business and she wasn't washing her brother's clothes or her preparing his dinner. Her family needs the money more and her time is better spent as a cashier.

• 4 months later...
What is this?? A new anti-muslim rant?

I know a lot of muslims. I work with muslims everyday. I put my life in the hands of muslims and muslims put their lives in my hands everyday. I do not understand your paranoia.

I guess the truth hurts. To paraphrase a Canadian, Neil Young (from the song "Ohio"), got to get down to it, Muslims are cutting us down, should have been done long ago".

...Instead, we (the west and in particular the US) befriend these puppet regimes so long as they say what we want them to say in public, and for that we turn a blind eye to the REAL threat facing us - their backing of hate-preaching fundamentalist clerics who live amongst us.

Meanwhile, we create a farce called the "war on terror" and go after two-bit dictators like Saddam, who committed all his "crimes against humanity" when he was in fact an ally when committing these crimes, thereby demonstrating to the thinking that something other than his crimes was the cause of animosity. Hmmm, perhaps the fact that his vast oil-reserves were no longer available to us.

What's with this "we" stuff WRT Iraq and Saddam. It was "we" until the invasion, then Canada parted company. No "we" for Canada or the collective "west" with recent developments with Saddam and Iraq except for the Canadian oil services contracts for the likes of OIG at Himrin Field. No "we" for France or Germany either.

Don't like the invasion of Iraq (a continuation of US foreign policy since 1991)? Then please LEAD the effort for a charge into the Saudi desert with Canadian guns ablazing at fundie clerics. Don't fumble the ball again like in Rwanda. It's not as simple as banning "hate speech" (so cute back home).

Show us the power of "We".