Bye Saddam...sniff...

crazymf

Too bad they couldn't have hung a few more American installed dictators, Pinnoch (sp) for instance. Too bad American's don't know the truth of these matters.

I think the non-American installed dictators are far worse. Beyond the shadow of a doubt. Your opinion?

Or do you just prefer self-destructive policies?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pinochet was "their son of the bitch" to the end. They don't hang them, they cherish them.

I agree with someone from Amnesty International I heard on the radio this moring. "He was executed as a result of a deeply flawed trial. That's what Suddam himself did so well".

Looks like not much has changed there. Little reason to be jolly.

A comment from sharkman in another thread...

Thousands of Iraqis who couldn't stop looking over their shoulders may start realizing they don't have to anymore.
Actually, no, they have it far worse now. Death comes randomly and often.

jbg,

I think the non-American installed dictators are far worse. Beyond the shadow of a doubt. Your opinion?
I would agree. However, this hardly justifies going after only one of the lesser ones, does it?

I am not really against Saddam standing trial, nor against his hanging, but I am against it given the circumstances. This was no more legitimate than a 'mob lynching'.

thelonious, at least they don't have torture chambers, rape rooms and state sponsored starvation so dear leader can build another palace/army/statute.

As for going after non American installed dictators, there's no Stalin or Hitler left, so a Saddam is good enough for me until Korea or Iran start invading.

This was not a mob lynching. That would have been far more satisfying.

The Rev Jessie Jackson:

Saddam's heinous crimes against humanity can never be diminished, but he was our ally while he was doing it.... Saddam as a war trophy only deepens the catastrophe to which we are indelibly linked.

Plus, there is the significance of today's date, for this travesty, that will come into play in the not too distant future.

Dear sharkman,

As for going after non American installed dictators, there's no Stalin or Hitler left, so a Saddam is good enough for me until Korea or Iran start invading.
Well, this is the whole point, really. No question Saddam was a brutal dictator, albeit with US support at the time of his crimes. However, Saddam and Iraq had become 'no threat to anyone' (an admission from Colin Powell) while N. Korea and and Iran, led by nuts, are actively boasting WMD programs and threatening neighbours.

Crazymf,

I believe that the end justifies the means in this case.
I cannot condone it any more than you would condone the kidnapping, extradition and hanging of GWH Bush for crimes against humanity in a country like Panama, Angola, Liberia, Nicaragua,.....

Saddam was tried for the murders of 132 people. He certainly murdered many more than that! I really think it is time we also went after the Western thugs in suits who back him. One bully at a time, I guess.

Yep, only for killing shiites. Wonder why so many people don't stop and ask themselves why he was tried for killing a couple a hundred shiites, and nothing happened about the hundred thousand kurds who were killed. It never amazes me how much logic people lack in their convictions and how easily many people believe the "official" story of things no matter how inexplicable they may be. "Why" seems to be lacking in their vocabulary.

Saddam was tried for the murders of 132 people. He certainly murdered many more than that! I really think it is time we also went after the Western thugs in suits who back him. One bully at a time, I guess.

Wonder why so many people don't stop and ask themselves why he was tried for killing a couple a hundred shiites, and nothing happened about the hundred thousand kurds who were killed. It never amazes me how much logic people lack in their convictions and how easily many people believe the "official" story of things no matter how inexplicable they may be. "Why" seems to be lacking in their vocabulary.

Why is usually not aksed because they do not want the answer to the question, in this case the answer being because the USA is culpable and there would have to be US officials testifying.

Crazymf,

I cannot condone it any more than you would condone the kidnapping, extradition and hanging of GWH Bush for crimes against humanity in a country like Panama, Angola, Liberia, Nicaragua,.....

I don't think you'll get much support for your view frankly so we'll leave it be. Comparing Saddam to Bush is ridiculous.

Granted, Saddam was elected democratically, although there was only one name on the ballot.

I think hanging is a bit barbaric. The trial was a farce. He should have been tried in the Hague, for his war crimes. I would have prefered him to riot in a jail for the rest of his life, rather than being executed.

Pinochet was "their son of the bitch" to the end. They don't hang them, they cherish them.

I agree with someone from Amnesty International I heard on the radio this moring. "He was executed as a result of a deeply flawed trial. That's what Suddam himself did so well".

Looks like not much has changed there. Little reason to be jolly.

Are you going to argue, with a straight face, that Pinochet = Saddam?

And in the end , everyone will say the judgement was right, and that to his 72 virgins (who will greet him in the afterlife) will also say that Sadam hung well. :)

Or was "well hung"?

I think hanging is a bit barbaric. The trial was a farce. He should have been tried in the Hague, for his war crimes. I would have prefered him to riot in a jail for the rest of his life, rather than being executed.

I assume you meant "rot in a jail", not "riot in a jail". However, that Freudian slip or typo illustrates the problem with the Hague process. It would be very slow, and would increase instability because of the risk that he could come back, and the risk that he could direct an insurgency from jail.

Are you going to argue, with a straight face, that Pinochet = Saddam?

No - worse. Saddam came to power in turmoil in the Baas party, in semi-legitimate way.

Pinochet started a coup against legitimate democratically elected government (where were you, oh prophets of holy democracy???), followed by years of deadly repressions which took thousands of lives. According to many reports, tortures and executions of most brutal kind, which Saddam himself could envy (or be a worthy disciple of) were not uncommon. I guess they don't teach much of that in America?

Yep, only for killing shiites. Wonder why so many people don't stop and ask themselves why he was tried for killing a couple a hundred shiites, and nothing happened about the hundred thousand kurds who were killed. It never amazes me how much logic people lack in their convictions and how easily many people believe the "official" story of things no matter how inexplicable they may be. "Why" seems to be lacking in their vocabulary.

I believe he is being tried for the gassing of the Kurds after this, though it's really a waste of energy considering he's already expired.

It wasn't a war crimes trial. This was trial for murder. They hanged him on the most convictable charge.

Well, I'm disapointed in this crew. I thought I came up with some very colorful tortures for old dic-tater. I'd have thought some of you would have added to that. After all, the guy was a mere tin horn dictator of a non world power. His whole scene and the Iraq war will be a mere blip on the history scope someday.

I did like the 'hung well' comment, or should it have been well hung? :lol:

...especially after the calf got through with him. :lol:

Crazymf,

Comparing Saddam to Bush is ridiculous.

Not really. Far more deaths and atrocities can be attributed to directives, foriegn policy decisions and beligerent actions of the US over Iraq in the same period of time. Admittedly, the US was far more involved, worldly speaking, than Iraq, whose only two current 'enemies' were Iran and Israel.

Ask "How many people died because of the will of one versus the other?" After that, you are free to say that the end justifies the means, and, of course, you are free to believe it.

Don't forget, GWH Bush has had his finger on the pulse of power, with just a few short breaks (the Carter and Clinton administrations), since before Gerald Ford (GWH was CIA director under Ford).

Well, I'm disapointed in this crew. I thought I came up with some very colorful tortures for old dic-tater. I'd have thought some of you would have added to that. After all, the guy was a mere tin horn dictator of a non world power. His whole scene and the Iraq war will be a mere blip on the history scope someday.

To the contrary, I didn't want him hung. I wanted him released, unarmed, into Basra's public square (Basra is a Shi'ite city).