Arar BANNED from US - David Wilkins

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

"The American ambassador to Canada says Maher Arar is still considered a threat to the United States.

Despite the findings of a Canadian inquiry that concluded Arar was deported to Syria based on erroneous information provided to the U.S. from the RCMP, David Wilkins said the Syrian-born Canadian will remain on a security watch list."

The ambassador said the decision to remove Arar from the United States in 2002 was made by American officials based on their own assessment."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

The ambassador said the decision to remove Arar from the United States in 2002 was made by American officials based on their own assessment."

. . . the article continues. . .

"Due to a lawsuit in the United States initiated by Mr. Arar which was dismissed at the trial level and is now on appeal, I cannot go into any further detail," Wilkins concluded in his statement.

So the Americans say they have their own reasons but can't tell us what they are because it's part of a lawsuit.

Should I assume that your bold and underlined big text should make me believe that Maher Arar actually deserved being sent to Syria for torturing?

Anyway, from the same article:

Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay repeated today that Arar's name has been removed from the Canadian security watch list and that Arar faces no travel restrictions in this country.

"He has been declared innocent. We certainly have relayed that finding and the (O'Connor) report itself and the decision we've taken to remove Mr. Arar from the watch list to the Americans," he told CTV's Ottawa bureau chief Robert Fife in an interview.

Unless David Wilkins decides to fill us in on the details, I'll go with the Minister's statement.

So the Americans say they have their own reasons but can't tell us what they are because it's part of a lawsuit.

Should I assume that your bold and underlined big text should make me believe that Maher Arar actually deserved being sent to Syria for torturing?

Unless David Wilkins decides to fill us in on the details, I'll go with the Minister's statement.

But that wouldn't fit in with mikedavid00's world view. Don't worry about that pesky inquiry thing that cleared his name.

And yes, I have no doubt that the US made its own assessment to send Arar out of the country. Of course, that assessment seems to have been at least partially based on wrong information that was provided by Canadian security forces. But ignore that pesky little detail.

Whether it is justified or not, it is hardly a surprise. Why would they want the aggravation? It's their country and they can ban whoever they want. Anyone of us could be banned tomorrow and they don't have to give a reason.

Exactly. No one has a right to go to another country.

Culture of entitlement at it's finest.

Interesting that when the CBC asked the CIA if Arar was still persona non grata in the US, they were told that Arar should contact them through his lawyers because this was a privacy issue. Now Wilkins is broadcasting it in public interviews. :blink:

The Arar case is an important landmark in citizenship rights and needs to stay front and centre until it has been thoroughly understood and the appropriate safeguards have been put in place. Zacardelli's resignation shows just how big a deal this really is.

The Arar case is an important landmark in citizenship rights and needs to stay front and centre until it has been thoroughly understood and the appropriate safeguards have been put in place. Zacardelli's resignation shows just how big a deal this really is.

The RCMP and Zacardelli were caught off guard in a maze of confusion pertaining to rights and Zacardelli was the scapegoat and paid the price.

If you think this is a big deal maybe you should think again when national security issue's could become weakened and pose more of a direct threat towards Canadians with further confusion pertaining to information exchanges with the U.S. because of your appropriate safeguards.

If Canada had any brains it would learn from these costly mistakes pertaining to dual citizenship and quickly put to an end dual citizenship with only a single identity for Canadian citizens.

Simply remember if Arar only had a SINGLE Canadian citizenship, none of this wouldn't have happened and if he would have been sent back to his country, it could be no other country than Canada.

If Canada had any brains it would learn from these costly mistakes pertaining to dual citizenship and quickly put to an end dual citizenship with only a single identity for Canadian citizens.

Simply remember if Arar only had a SINGLE Canadian citizenship, none of this wouldn't have happened and if he would have been sent back to his country, it could be no other country than Canada.

Single citizenship is unenforceable and this explains why the US no longer forces people to give up other citizenship.

In any case, I don't see how single citizenship would solve this problem.

Underneath it all, we have someone who is deemed to be a security threat. Their citizenship is not the issue. When an airline or a club screens passengers or customers, how do they decide whom to admit? Do they mistakes? What are the consequences?

The US government acts on behalf of the American people. The US government is not infallible and it has to answer to Americans if it excludes foreigners.

I am certain that there will be more cases like Arar in the future and it is likely that innocent Muslims will suffer more often than people of other groups.

And MikeDavid, lay off the loud fonts.

Single citizenship is unenforceable and this explains why the US no longer forces people to give up other citizenship.

Underneath it all, we have someone who is deemed to be a security threat. Their citizenship is not the issue. When an airline or a club screens passengers or customers, how do they decide whom to admit? Do they mistakes? What are the consequences?

The US government acts on behalf of the American people. The US government is not infallible and it has to answer to Americans if it excludes foreigners.

I am certain that there will be more cases like Arar in the future and it is likely that innocent Muslims will suffer more often than people of other groups.

And MikeDavid, lay off the loud fonts.

Ones citizenship is an issue as with a single citizenship legal commits you as being a citizen of Canada and in turn would make it easier to prosecute in cases if terrorism or other issues of importance relating to national security and would relieve Canada of serious financial commitments like the recent 'Lebanese evacuation issue'.

I don't know how you think 'dual citizenship' is not enforceable. If one does not declare the fact that he or she possess another citizenship, what difference would it make when the law in Canada does not recognize any other citizenship and is not responsible in any way with that persons ties with another country. Maybe you can clarify this if this is not what your concern is?

And how will Canada force the Americans to remove him from the list.....You people have been drinking your own bathwater again....

Canada would never FORCE the Americans to remove him from the list. Lots of people are on those lists. You'd be surprised. But on the whole, considering the scope of border travel, its not that many. We don't let certain individuals into our country, and they don't let certain people into their country.

Lifes a bitch sometimes, but its their country.

Still though, Mike David has made the point of all points. David Wilkins did say that the U.S. deported Arar on their own assessment. He says they had other sources. Some of you think he is making this up. So what? He acknowledges full responsibility for it. Lets say the other sources are a lie, just for the sake of argument. How does that change the fact that Wilkins says it was "our own assessment". I suppose this is another lie, conveniently. Jack Layton thinks Canada should tell the US who to allow across the border and who not. What a nut job. The great thing about guys like Layton is they can complain about everything that is happening and promise how much better things would be if they were in power, and never ever have to back up a single word of it. The NDP could promise World Peace if they wanted.

Still though, Mike David has made the point of all points. David Wilkins did say that the U.S. deported Arar on their own assessment. He says they had other sources. Some of you think he is making this up. So what? He acknowledges full responsibility for it. Lets say the other sources are a lie, just for the sake of argument. How does that change the fact that Wilkins says it was "our own assessment". I suppose this is another lie, conveniently. Jack Layton thinks Canada should tell the US who to allow across the border and who not. What a nut job. The great thing about guys like Layton is they can complain about everything that is happening and promise how much better things would be if they were in power, and never ever have to back up a single word of it. The NDP could promise World Peace if they wanted.

Canada cannot force the US to do anything. Asking the US to do something is another matter. Depending on your political capital, one can call on favours. With US paranoia still at an all time high, Arar getting into the US will be one dealt with in the US.

Single citizenship is unenforceable...

Laughable.

Becuase he could not have been sent to Syria. He had his Syrian citizenship with him when he was caught so the US sent him to Arar's chosen home.

Underneath it all, we have someone who is deemed to be a security threat. Their citizenship is not the issue.

Simply laughable. My brother just took a look at this and we've just spent the last 2 min laughing and talking about how rediculous your last statement was.

Security is almost entirely based of citizenship and immigration policy.

You want to know the real truth of why 9-11 happened? the REAL truth?

Becuase the US allows internation students from terrorist countries into the US.

That's the factual reason why it happened. Now suprise suprise, there has been ANOTHER fogeign nation caught as a student to the US. It was all over Fox and CNN this week:

"Authorities Probe Foreign Student Seeking Commercial Truck-Driving HAZMAT License

Mullawala, a 28-year-old citizen of India who is of Pakistani descent, is now in federal custody in Massachusetts on immigration violation charges....

Crawford started documenting suspicious activity: Mullawala lived in New York City but traveled to Rhode Island for the driving classes; he missed his first day of classes; and he was very insistent on getting his hazardous material transport license.

Investigators learned that when Mullawala obtained his driver's license from the Rhode Island Registry of Motor Vehicles, he gave a false statement indicating he was a Rhode Island resident. ICE then determined he was a citizen of India and in the United States on an expired temporary student visa.

WOW, THERE'S A SUPRISE!

I won't feel sorry for the US if they get attacked again.

The US government acts on behalf of the American people.

I completely agree.

Us paying 37 million dollars to someone who shouldn't even be in our country is not acting on behalf of the pople. LEAVE ARAR - GET OUT.

Why don't you get out, mikedavid? Clearly I don't like you, and surely you have many other memberships in forums, and that is all the evidence any reasonable person needs to evict you from this community. Why don't you go back to your real home? I don't give a damn if you're not guilty of any crimes, or if you've been subjected to intellectual torture by superior posters. You don't fit my racist, idealized notion of what real political posters should be, and I've had enough of you trying to eat up our bandwidth with your ridiculous arguments. We're all tired of listening to your little sob stories. Get out, we don't want you, Maple Leaf Web doesn't need to let in any more members. We should only accept the children of existing members.

Why don't you get out, mikedavid? Clearly I don't like you, and surely you have many other memberships in forums, and that is all the evidence any reasonable person needs to evict you from this community. Why don't you go back to your real home? I don't give a damn if you're not guilty of any crimes, or if you've been subjected to intellectual torture by superior posters. You don't fit my racist, idealized notion of what real political posters should be, and I've had enough of you trying to eat up our bandwidth with your ridiculous arguments. We're all tired of listening to your little sob stories. Get out, we don't want you, Maple Leaf Web doesn't need to let in any more members. We should only accept the children of existing members.

I tend to disregard or disagree with about 99% of what MikeDavid says. However, short of multiple posts, links that have weak or misleading information, and some very poor spelling and grammer, I believe in free speech. He may only know one aspect of an argument, and be too thick to understand a solid well spoken sentence. He may even comment on subjects he has little or no knowledge of and act like an expert. However, there are lots of us here like that. I read alot of BS and mis statements and have caught myself, getting and era or date wrong when working on a post.

While MikeDavid is trying to ram Immigrants are Evil on virtually every topic. I am certain there is a moderator here whom can refocus one to the facts. Other than that the thread ends. You also don't have to comment on posts that are completely stupid, or ignorant. There are lots of silent lurkers here who can see the forest through the trees.

Heck, MikeDavid didn't even vote, and he hangs in a political forum. But not Voting isn't a requirement to be here.

You don't have to be liked to be here.

So, relax a bit, I tend to believe only the more polarized tend to post, and I just can't help myself from commenting.

It's all good.

Still though, Mike David has made the point of all points. David Wilkins did say that the U.S. deported Arar on their own assessment. He says they had other sources. Some of you think he is making this up. So what? He acknowledges full responsibility for it. Lets say the other sources are a lie, just for the sake of argument. How does that change the fact that Wilkins says it was "our own assessment". I suppose this is another lie, conveniently.

WOW! Amazing. Finally a smart poster who realizes the issue at hand!

Let that be an example.

Unreal!