U.S. Senator

I should hope not, it's not like he's dead, and he will recover. Let him sit out and don't appoint anyone else.

This has happened in South Dakota before as well. A former Republican Senator was out from 1969 to 1973. There has been talk though that this Democratic Senator might be forced out.

I should hope not, it's not like he's dead, and he will recover. Let him sit out and don't appoint anyone else.

This has happened in South Dakota before as well. A former Republican Senator was out from 1969 to 1973. There has been talk though that this Democratic Senator might be forced out.

The American system is based on electing a candidate as a person more so than in Canada, the guys down there elected Senator Johnson, he might be a vegetable, but he's an elected one that's what the people wanted, any attempt to remove him would be undemocratic, he's not dead.

The rules of the US Senate state that unless there is a resignation letter or a death certificate, an elected Senator remains in office. Someone else mentioned a Republican Senator who was physically absent from Capitol Hill for a few years after suffering a stroke. He held onto his seat the entire time. Unless Johnson takes a serious turn for the worse, I don't see his departing the Senate, voluntarily or otherwise.

"If Johnson leaves the Senate, the Republican governor of South Dakota could appoint a Republican to fill the remaining two years of Johnson's term - keeping the Senate in GOP hands with Vice President Dick Cheney's tie-breaking power."

Wouldn't it make more sense just to have a by-election?

Anyways, so long as he is healthy enough to do his job, he shouldnt be forced out.

"If Johnson leaves the Senate, the Republican governor of South Dakota could appoint a Republican to fill the remaining two years of Johnson's term - keeping the Senate in GOP hands with Vice President Dick Cheney's tie-breaking power."

Anyways, so long as he is healthy enough to do his job, he shouldnt be forced out.

They don't have by-elections for senators. The Governor appoints one until the next scheduled election.

They don't have by-elections for senators. The Governor appoints one until the next scheduled election.

I know, what I am saying is that they should. Too late to change that now I guess.

No, the dems would still lead 50-49, if they replaced him it would be 50-50 and somehow that works out the the GOP having control, im not sure how, check out the link at the top.

The Vice-President has the deciding vote in a tie.