Stelmach says Alberta is a nation

From the Red Star: Link

"It was very clear during the campaign that I'm going to fight for the same rights and privileges being assigned to this `nation within a nation,'" Stelmach said yesterday.

Stelmach, who said he had a "good, long chat" with Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Sunday, made it clear he won't be a federal-provincial pushover.

"There are a couple areas — one on this whole area of equalization, fiscal imbalance and, of course, this new idea of a nation within a nation," he said.

"Once we get a better definition, we'll be able to move ahead and work with them."

Nice, sounds like Stelmach is going to eat Harper for dinner for his poor choice with the Quebecois.

"I'm going to tell them right off the bat that they have to be careful as to the kind of policies they start articulating," he said. "Any damage to Alberta's economy is going to severely hurt Ottawa and their treasury as well."

Ohhh my Mr. Dion, watch out if your ever elected!!! Tax us and we will destroy you.

"The role of government is to ensure that services are in place. There's no such thing as touching the brake. The economy and growth will sort itself out."

A free-marketeer! Bravo good sir.

--

Sounds like Alberta will still have a vocal leader, but this time a little more focused. Stelmach is ready to go for the throat in Ottawa to ensure Alberta get's nothing but the most preferential treatment in Canada.

This guy may end up being a winner, I may have significantly underestimated him.

Put a crisis in front of him then we'll know for sure. I am unsure of his strength when the pressure is the other way, from Ottawa on him.

Harper has generally come off as someone who is in favour of a smaller Federal Government, either that or whenever he is uncomfortable he just likes the term thats a provincial Issue...I think it might be a bit of both. Anyways it will be interesting to see how this whole nation thing plays out, perhpas harper wouldn't mind setting up a Minister of Nation Claims and return power to the provinces. After all, the people who know provincial issues the best are provincial politicians....But on the otherhand Harper could have just opend up a can of worms.

"The role of government is to ensure that services are in place. There's no such thing as touching the brake. The economy and growth will sort itself out."

Oh great. Another man with no plan. :rolleyes:

Gotta love it. Finally someone in government who doesn't think it's his god given right to impose himself on everyone. Vive la lasaiz faire (sp?).

I always love hearing libs: "we GOTTA get more funding for (insert program)!!!"

"there simply isn't enough regulation on (insert pet project here)"

for god's sake: leave us alone already!!!!

Gotta love it. Finally someone in government who doesn't think it's his god given right to impose himself on everyone. Vive la lasaiz faire (sp?).

I always love hearing libs: "we GOTTA get more funding for (insert program)!!!"

"there simply isn't enough regulation on (insert pet project here)"

An Alberta Premier who lived by such a credo wouldn't last long. Albertans are only against government when times are good. When things go pear-shaped, the rugged prarie individualists are the first in line with their hands out. Take the B.S.E. bailout for example: the complaint from many small farmers (the archetypical Albertan) wasn't that the government wasn't stepping in, but that it was bailing out the wrong guys.

Setting the "we're a nation!" comedy aside, all Stelmach is saying is that if Quebec is getting special treatment, he's going to lobby for the same.

It goes back to the fundamental issue that sank the Meech Lake Accord... people don't mind saying that Quebec is distinct... what they object to is special powers and privileges.

-k

I'll leave you alone when conservatives leave me alone to smoke pot, leave homosexuals alone to get married and leave women alone to choose what to do with their bodies. Deal?

I'll get on that too when libs stop pressuring me to smoke pot, flood our culture with pot, stop forcing people to marry homosexuals when they don't want to, and quit hounding us when we see a woman being a whore and taking her to task for it. here's some more, when libs stop saying that only liberal values are canadian values and conservative ones don't count, when the libs stop their revolving door "injustice" system, when the libs stop stealing our tax money to fund pointless programs like state run daycare...

I'll get on that too when libs stop pressuring me to smoke pot, flood our culture with pot

If this is so, why is it so hard to find a goddam quarter? Huh? Is it because I live in Alberta?

stop forcing people to marry homosexuals when they don't want to,

Hey, it's not so bad. Oh sure, I told the Liberal commissar that I liked girls, but he was all like "rules are rules". But once you get over the initial shock and discomfort (especially the wedding night *blush*) it's a lot like having a room-mate. Just hope your government-issued same sex spouse knows how to cook and clean. And isn't a snorer like my Chad. :lol:

Oh and don't worry about the whole gay sex thing: like any couple, once you're married, you'll find that's the first thing to go.

quit hounding us when we see a woman being a whore and taking her to task for it.

Does the "taking her to task" cost extra or do you pay that up front?

I'll leave you alone when conservatives leave me alone to smoke pot, leave homosexuals alone to get married and leave women alone to choose what to do with their bodies. Deal?

Sounds like you'd be better off in some sodom and gomorrah cesspool like Europe.

I'll get on that too when libs stop pressuring me to smoke pot, flood our culture with pot,

So fighting for peoples rights to be masters of their own body is pressuring you to smoke Pot. I think the problem is on your end.

stop forcing people to marry homosexuals when they don't want to

Under the Liberal same sex marraige bill no church was or will be forced to marry a same sex couple, now if it was the case the Chruches would be forced to do so, I could see you most certainly having a point. But theoretically agents of the state should not be allowed to refuse people rights that are granted to them by the state.

quit hounding us when we see a woman being a whore and taking her to task for it.

So you want the right to hound women, but not be hounded in return.

here's some more, when libs stop saying that only liberal values are canadian values and conservative ones don't count,

Well yeah, I think this whole natural governign party of Canada is harmful to not only the Liberals but political improvement as a whole. But I am not about to justify violating other peoples rights to happiness and liberty just because I think most politicians are corrupt and injust. Because if we started to do that, then we become what we hate. And honestly, I don't want to walk around hating myself.

when the libs stop their revolving door "injustice" system

Yeah the justice system in Canada is not perfect, but you know what. I do not believe it is wise to say, because the liberals did not punish so and so...I don't want to respect the rights of other members of society. Its a two way street, we shouldn't critisize the Liberals, conservatives, and others for failing to respect peoples rights or failing to do their jobs and on that basis say...I will refuse rights to other people, i

will refuse to do my job. Its a downward vicous spiral, that starts with animosity, and it does not achieve the desired outcome of co-operation.

when the libs stop stealing our tax money to fund pointless programs like state run daycare...

I wish the Liberals would stop using tax dollars to fund such programs...it may be one of the issues that keeps me from voting for them. But thats what I will do. If it is a big enough detractor I will not vote for the Liberals. But that will be the action I take, I will not show my dissaproval for the liberals by copying their same ill-advised behavoir. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. So please don't immitate what you hate.

I'll get on that too when libs stop pressuring me to smoke pot, flood our culture with pot, stop forcing people to marry homosexuals when they don't want to , and quit hounding us when we see a woman being a whore and taking her to task for it. here's some more, when libs stop saying that only liberal values are canadian values and conservative ones don't count, when the libs stop their revolving door "injustice" system, when the libs stop stealing our tax money to fund pointless programs like state run daycare...

Good God, I can't believe that I actually read this and was thinking along the lines of the way BD responded to it. All I could think was "WTF?"

Man, I have to start reading more carefully.

So fighting for peoples rights to be masters of their own body is pressuring you to smoke Pot. I think the problem is on your end.

I'm talking about small l liberals, not the party. No, they like to force pot on everyone and flood the MSM with it, using the show the Simpsons as a bell weather for society that proves the point.

Under the Liberal same sex marraige bill no church was or will be forced to marry a same sex couple, now if it was the case the Chruches would be forced to do so, I could see you most certainly having a point. But theoretically agents of the state should not be allowed to refuse people rights that are granted to them by the state.

Umm why should someone have their hand forced to marry gay couples when they are morally objected to it, lots of things get turned down on this as its fair, what about the state agent's right to an opinion and his beliefs, btw there will be another state agent more than happy to marry them. Just to clarify i don't care about SSM, i care about people's hands being forced.

I can call a woman a whore if I damn well want to and if I believe she deserves it, she has the same right to do the same to me. Let me put it this way, if anyone wants to be in the whore lifestyle live with the consequences (I.E. people like me being jackasses)

Well yeah, I think this whole natural governign party of Canada is harmful to not only the Liberals but political improvement as a whole. But I am not about to justify violating other peoples rights to happiness and liberty just because I think most politicians are corrupt and injust. Because if we started to do that, then we become what we hate. And honestly, I don't want to walk around hating myself.

once again small L liberals, the conservatives aren't about violating peoples rights they just look at things differently. What about conservative minded people's rights to hapiness, aren't they important too?

Yeah the justice system in Canada is not perfect, but you know what. I do not believe it is wise to say, because the liberals did not punish so and so...I don't want to respect the rights of other members of society. Its a two way street, we shouldn't critisize the Liberals, conservatives, and others for failing to respect peoples rights or failing to do their jobs and on that basis say...I will refuse rights to other people, i

will refuse to do my job. Its a downward vicous spiral, that starts with animosity, and it does not achieve the desired outcome of co-operation.

It is liberal minded people that made the revolving door justice system complete with satellite TV in jail, it's come to the point where it would make sense for a bum to go to jail because he gets a warm place to stay, food everyday, TV, a job, and a sense of belonging, how's he getting punished? He's getting a free ride.

Does anyone have anything to say about the topic of this thread?!?!?!?!?!

Seriously...how the f_ck does Geoffrey second-guessing his initial concerns about Ed Stelmach being tough enough to stand up to Ottawa turn into a full-blown federal Liberal vs. Conservative policy bash-fest in under 10 posts!?!?!?

How many times can people get entertainment / pleasure / satisfaction out of the repetition of:

"Liberals really suck"

"No way, Conservatives really suck"

"Na-uh, Liberals really suck"

"Oh, yeah, that'd be true if Conservatives didn't really suck"

"Whatever you sucky Liberal"

"Bite-me you sucky Conservative"

Please, if the above dialogue amuses you, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE and knock youself out with your wit and insight into the ways of the world.

Now that's off my chest...

Geoffrey,

I too am glad to see Stelmach coming out quickly with an indication of the approach he plans to take on Fed-AB relations.

Personally, I voted for Dinning becuase I figured he would do the best job of protecting the financial health of the province from the insatiable force of Federal greed (at a time when much is being said about overall mismanagement of the books).

I wasn't really sure what I thought about Stelmach winning...all I knew was (unlike you apparently) I was happy to see Morton was not at the helm...I mean, I like the idea of reforms but ususally with a view to improving our system, not rebuilding it from the dirt.

Where do you predict we'll see the first true Stelmach vs. PM battle (I purposefully didn't say vs. Harper to account for the possibility that Stelmach could be facing down some other PM).

FTA

Well I'm happy a fresh off the farm farmer won, hopefully he does a good job and brings true country values and fiscal responsibility, I hope he doesn't blow it making us farmers look bad. I also hope he's not blowing smoke about engaging harper to please everyone.

As for the left vs. right argument, someone took a shot at so-cons, i merely responded back... and went too far. So back on track, go Stelmach, make the ag community proud.

hahaha that is hilarious :lol:

Soon everybody is going to want a Nation :lol:

I wonder how Harper is going to deal with this....

I don't belive they have yet answered that question from English Quebecers. They asked where they fit into this nation thing since they are Quebecers, not Quebecois. Now we have the Acadian Society demanding that they also be considered a nation although I'm not sure where Acadia is, since less that 1/4 of NBer's speak French, and that total is even lower in the other Atlantic provinces, but I am willing to bet that they will be looking for money to lobby for their cause.

I'll get on that too when libs stop pressuring me to smoke pot, flood our culture with pot,

stop forcing people to marry homosexuals when they don't want to

here's some more, when libs stop saying that only liberal values are canadian values and conservative ones don't count,

when the libs stop their revolving door "injustice" system

when the libs stop stealing our tax money to fund pointless programs like state run daycare...

I wish the Liberals would stop using tax dollars to fund such programs...it may be one of the issues that keeps me from voting for them. But thats what I will do. If it is a big enough detractor I will not vote for the Liberals. But that will be the action I take, I will not show my dissaproval for the liberals by copying their same ill-advised behavoir. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. So please don't immitate what you hate.

But now you are infringing on a person right to practice their faith, if you force them to perform a ceremony that they find is in conflict with their faith. Marriage Commioners hheld this job before the Feds got into the business of defining marriage, and thewse Commissioners should not now lose their jobs because this arbitrary government decision. Those Commissioners should also be exempt under the same exemption as are priests and other clergy. To not do so is discrimination, based on religious beliefs.

Where do you predict we'll see the first true Stelmach vs. PM battle (I purposefully didn't say vs. Harper to account for the possibility that Stelmach could be facing down some other PM).

Against Harper... dealing too much to Quebec.

Against Dion... 100% environment and the Alberta blame game.