Liberal Candidates are now debating the decriminalization of marijuana

Higgly

Liberal Candidates are now debating the decriminalization of marijuana  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There isn't much moral justification left in cigarettes my friend, they are banned from pretty much everywhere but your lower floor bathroom with a high capacity HVAC system. smile.gif

No, they aren't banned. You are fully allowed under the law to possess tobacco anywhere you want. You just can't smoke it in indoor public places.
So, as you admit here, it's perfectly possible to not give "moral justification" to a substance without criminalizing it. Adultery is legal, but not morally justified. Our legal system is not set up to provide moral guidance. Our legal system is set up to ensure that one party does not totally screw another by stealing from them or committing violence against them. Leave the moral lessons to the schools and churches and parents.
Alcohol can be used in moderation, pot you smoke to get high,

That's based on no evidence whatsoever, and totally wrong.If weed screws up your reaction time so badly, why do almost all the best jazz musicians smoke it? Edited by BubberMiley

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geoffrey, why don't you just admit that the reason you want mariguana illegal is because you just hate stoners?

Their annoying burden on society is a big deal for me, but there are more burdensome groups out there.

I haven't found a convicing argument yet that decriminalisation will lower real crime... it won't in any way, shape or form. If anything, it will lead to a price war between dealers and government, lowering the price of pot and making it more accessible in larger quantities.

Their annoying burden on society is a big deal for me, but there are more burdensome groups out there.

How about the much more annoying burden on society: alcohol? Do you favour criminalization of it?

I haven't found a convicing argument yet that decriminalisation will lower real crime... it won't in any way, shape or form.

Any time something is decriminalized, crime decreases. That's why they call it decriminalization. The concept is built right into the word. Or do you define real crime as "crime that isn't just smoking weed?" In which case, yes, I agree.

If anything, it will lead to a price war between dealers and government, lowering the price of pot and making it more accessible in larger quantities.

Where do you come up with this shit?

I haven't found a convicing argument yet that decriminalisation will lower real crime... it won't in any way, shape or form. If anything, it will lead to a price war between dealers and government, lowering the price of pot and making it more accessible in larger quantities.

I don't know about this. There is already a lot of competition between dealers and the price is still relatively high ($10 per gram) compared to what the government could charge. If the government charged $10 per gram, they would make a huge profit, which would increase government revenue. I think this is one reason why even a non-pot smoker such as myself can support the legalization of marijuana. Even if dealers charged less money than the government, I think most people would pay a little more money to get their pot from a reputable source like the government rather than a 'dealer' (especially those who never used to smoke pot because it was illegal). I don't see many people distilling & selling their own liquor now that prohibition is over.

How do you propose to keep it out of the hands of minors?

Well, I guess we could try making it illegal to sell it to kids. You claim that works.

I think the under-18 substance-abuser market is not strong enough to support a black market on its own. That's why I still claim that while kids do get and drink alcohol, it is not bought and sold in schools to the degree weed is. And speaking of which, you didn't answer my question whether you favour the criminalization of alcohol.

I think geoffrey is just mistakenly associating weed with alcohol when he assumes that its a burden on society. There are, like, no homeless people whose drug of choice is weed. It's all either alcohol or meth or crack or whatever. You'd be laughed off the street if you claimed you were homeless because of an addiction to pot. :lol:

I think geoffrey is just mistakenly associating weed with alcohol when he assumes that its a burden on society. There are, like, no homeless people whose drug of choice is weed. It's all either alcohol or meth or crack or whatever. You'd be laughed off the street if you claimed you were homeless because of an addiction to pot. :lol:

And your are, like (this must be the stoner way to form sentences), completely misleading everyone. I can tell you the people I spend alot of time with at university and in business drink, quite a bit actually. My old high school friends that smoke tons of pot still are living at home, most aren't working and none are working in a career job.

Personal experience tells me that pot isn't exactly a contributor to sucess and productive living. Maybe I just have had a bad personal experience with it, but I figure the odds aren't really pointing that way. Then again, Trudeau was known to have a little toke here and there wasn't he? Maybe it does bring success.

Likely though, I think not.

Personal experience tells me that pot isn't exactly a contributor to sucess and productive living. Maybe I just have had a bad personal experience with it, but I figure the odds aren't really pointing that way. Then again, Trudeau was known to have a little toke here and there wasn't he? Maybe it does bring success.

Likely though, I think not.

Or maybe it isn't some magic potion that will determine the future direction of your life at all. Maybe it's just a weed that gives you a buzz when you feel like it, and nothing else.

I don't use although I sampled a bit back in my younger daze. (pun, :lol: )

As an employer, I wouldn't knowingly keep any dopeheads around. Speaking from personal experience, I believe use makes a person shiftless, unmotivated and frankly downright lazy.

I suppose if you were the new color inventor for a paint manufacturer, dope would be an asset. Otherwise, I don't think it helps productivity in the workplace.

I'm for regulating it so the government can impose formal restraints on use such as they have with alcohol. Also, maybe then we could start keeping it away from the kids through controlling the sources.

I have been against legalization in the past because of the same reasons stated, but after several months of thought I have changed my mind about it.