Afghanistan

Au contrare...my pithy style and biting efficiency may not be to your liking, but I certainly make a contribution. I prefer photographs over paintings.

Well, good luck with that. Think I'll pass on further snapshots from you. The picture always seems the same.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is now confirmed that the other two killed in the helicopter shot down in Afghanistan were British and Canadian soldiers.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

The military has released the name of a Canadian soldier killed in a helicopter crash Wednesday in Afghanistan that left a total of seven troops dead.

Master Cpl. Darrell Jason Priede was a military photographer from CFB Gagetown, said Brig.-Gen. Tim Grant during a news conference at Kandahar Airfield Thursday.

It is apparent the incident could have been far worse because the helicopter had just finished transporting nearly 40 soldiers.

In another story, here is what the exiting U.S. ambassador had to say.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7053101112.html

WASHINGTON -- The retiring U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan, in a farewell assessment, said Thursday he did not know how long U.S. troops ought to remain in the South Asian country.

But on his last day in the foreign service, and after two years in a post his father also once held in Kabul, Ronald Neumann said helping Afghanistan to develop its first democratic government was "a long-term process."

"There is corruption of society at all levels," he said, but there are several positive developments, including growth of the Afghan army and the judicial system and the building of roads.

"It is a weak state and not a strong Taliban that is causing us problems," he said.

It appears two more NATO soldiers were killed over the weekend although details are sketchy at the moment.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/06/03/ap3782308.html

If Parliament does break soon, I wonder if it will be like last summer where the government stayed quiet on Afghanistan while support dropped up to the fall.

The lack of information usually makes people form their own impression of how things are going.

The details on the boat sinking are suspect. It was observed from the air and how they know there were Taliban on it is pure speculation.

Some NATO commanders just last month were mentioning they didn't like the "body count" numbers for Taliban deaths because they often couldn't tell how many of those killed were actually militants. The boat incident certainly raises that question. Some people reading might think it was 60 Taliban killed.

The details on the boat sinking are suspect. It was observed from the air and how they know there were Taliban on it is pure speculation.

Some NATO commanders just last month were mentioning they didn't like the "body count" numbers for Taliban deaths because they often couldn't tell how many of those killed were actually militants. The boat incident certainly raises that question. Some people reading might think it was 60 Taliban killed.

Hi Jdobb,

Intel my friend, you'd be surprised what we know......

Canadian soldier does in roadside bomb.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/06/11/soldier-killed.html

A Canadian soldier was killed and two others wounded in a roadside bombing attack in Afghanistan about 40 kilometres north of Kandahar on Monday.

Trooper Darryl Caswell was with the Royal Canadian Dragoons based at Petawawa, Ont.

As I said in another thread, the issue of Afghanistan will not go away especially if allies like Netherlands leaves in two months.

As I said in another thread, the issue of Afghanistan will not go away especially if allies like Netherlands leaves in two months.

In related news...

OTTAWA (CP) - The vast majority of Canadians want this country's military mission in Afghanistan to end as scheduled in 2009, according to a new poll.

The survey by Decima Research, released Monday to The Canadian Press, found that two-thirds of respondents want Canadian troops to come home when the current mandate from Parliament expires in February 2009

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terror/200...4252532-cp.html

Will Steve listen?

In related news...

OTTAWA (CP) - The vast majority of Canadians want this country's military mission in Afghanistan to end as scheduled in 2009, according to a new poll.

The survey by Decima Research, released Monday to The Canadian Press, found that two-thirds of respondents want Canadian troops to come home when the current mandate from Parliament expires in February 2009

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terror/200...4252532-cp.html

Will Steve listen?

Intelligent people pay no attention to raw poll numbers. Almost all of those who are most adamant about us getting out of Afghanistan are, well, people like you. No matter what Harper does they will be voting against him next election anyway. Why on earth would he care what they had to say about Afghanistan - or anything?

The polling figures among Conservative voters, and those in the middle who may possibly vote Conservative are the ones they pay attention to, and have pretty consistently shown a majority in favour of the government's decisions on Afghanistan.

The polling figures among Conservative voters, and those in the middle who may possibly vote Conservative are the ones they pay attention to, and have pretty consistently shown a majority in favour of the government's decisions on Afghanistan.

"What I found interesting is that even among committed Conservative supporters, or the group that support the mission the most, only 26 per cent think there is a high chance of success."

Source:

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/features...0fd63f5&k=71351

What I found interesting is that even among committed Conservative supporters, or the group that support the mission the most, only 26 per cent think there is a high chance of success."

What i find interesting is why thier is no poll for the soldiers actually doing the work in Afgan, you guys know, the ones actually doing the fighting and dieing. but then again nobody wants to here from them.

Just because the majority of Canadians want out of Afgan does not make it the right, or best decision for that problem.

It is up to the Harper government to convince Canadians that our allies and Afghanistan are committed to the problem. We can't fight a battle that our allies are not supporting.

Considering how important the issue is, there is very little discussion of the objectives and yardsticks for achievement in Afghanistan by our parliamentarians.

I think most Canadians know instinctively that our troops are stretched this and a multi-year commitment precludes them from doing other work including work in Canada if it became critically necessary. God forbid an earthquakes happened in B.C. and there was very little in the kitty to help with the devastation. You can be sure that whoever decided to extend the mission to 2009 would pay a heavy price. And the worst prices to be paid would be the people who suffered in the days after such an event.

"What I found interesting is that even among committed Conservative supporters, or the group that support the mission the most, only 26 per cent think there is a high chance of success."

Source:

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/features...0fd63f5&k=71351

Yes, you take a poll right after Canada loses six guys and the country is shocked and you get this kind of response. No doubt that was why it was taken.

Yes, you take a poll right after Canada loses six guys and the country is shocked and you get this kind of response. No doubt that was why it was taken.

Unfortunately, you can take a poll anytime from spring to fall and have a Canadian or other NATO soldier being killed. In the winter, support for the mission went up during the lull. Was that a more accurate assessment of the situation?

You don't think Canadians have a certain justification in believing that it might be difficult or near impossible to restore law and order? Has there ever been prolonged law and order in that region? You have that much faith that our presence is going to create the circumstances for a democratic, safe and orderly place?

I am not shocked by the poll. The question determines the answer.

How about we ask Canadians, Should NATO allow the Taleban regain control of Afghanistan, even if it means giving Al Qaeda a safe haven once more?

normanchateau:

Just because only 36% of Canadians voted for Stephen Harper doesn't mean the wishes of the other 64% should be ignored.

That does not make it the right decision does it, if one was to take a poll in who was in favour of not paying taxes at all, what do you think the results would be, I'm pretty sure a majority would vote yes, but would that mean it would be in the best interest of our country.

It is up to the Harper government to convince Canadians that our allies and Afghanistan are committed to the problem. We can't fight a battle that our allies are not supporting.

Your right the government has done a poor job in informing average Canadians of the situation in Afgan, not just this present government but the previous one as well. all that said this battle needs to be fought, and won with or with out allied support. We as a nation decided that when we entered this conflict, that it was worthy of our commitment and tax dollars, and we should stick it out until the outcome is known.

Considering how important the issue is, there is very little discussion of the objectives and yardsticks for achievement in Afghanistan by our parliamentarians.

And when it is discussed in parliament what are they concerned with, side issues , or issues that reflect in the polls...how many times have they discussed solutions to the problem of ending this conflict, to getting aid in quicker, etc etc....so your right the entire government and all sides of parliment are to blame.

I think most Canadians know instinctively that our troops are stretched this and a multi-year commitment precludes them from doing other work including work in Canada if it became critically necessary. God forbid an earthquakes happened in B.C. and there was very little in the kitty to help with the devastation. You can be sure that whoever decided to extend the mission to 2009 would pay a heavy price. And the worst prices to be paid would be the people who suffered in the days after such an event.

I disagree, all Canadians will have no one to blame but themselves for thier condition and size of thier military, it is what they wanted, and for the most part still want. Yes They agree our military should be bigger, but they are not willing to pay the price , be it cutting other programs or spending the entire surplus.

So yes those effected in such an event would pay the price, and be the ones that suffer. but that is the price they will have to learn to live with or lobby to make the military larger...Do you see this happening.

How about we ask Canadians, Should NATO allow the Taleban regain control of Afghanistan, even if it means giving Al Qaeda a safe haven once more?

Should Canada build permanent bases in Afghanistan?

Should Canada takeover the government of Afghanistan?

Should Canada consider all Afghans to be potential Taliban supporters and deal with them accordingly?

Should Canada invade Iran and Pakistan for supporting the Taliban?

Sooo many questions that need answering.

Should Canada build permanent bases in Afghanistan?

Should Canada takeover the government of Afghanistan?

Should Canada consider all Afghans to be potential Taliban supporters and deal with them accordingly?

Should Canada invade Iran and Pakistan for supporting the Taliban?

1) No, keep them mobile

2) Yes, install Taleban Jack

3) Only if they vote NDP

4) No, bomb them instead. Bombing is part of their culture, they would respect that.

1) No, keep them mobile

2) Yes, install Taleban Jack

3) Only if they vote NDP

4) No, bomb them instead. Bombing is part of their culture, they would respect that.

They aren't mobile now. They have a stable base in Kandahar. Will that be our permanent base?

Associating anyone in Canada with terrorism is just like Bush saying you're either for us or against us.

More jabs at the connection to despotism. It isn't working and the right wingers fall in the polls in Canada every time they do it.

I guess we should prepare for war against Pakistan then because I think they might consider that an act of war.

Three NATO soldiers killed in bomb blast.

No reports on the nationalities as yet.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

hree NATO soldiers have been killed by an explosion in southern Afghanistan.

They were travelling in a vehicle when it was struck by an improvised explosive device, according to officials cited by The Associated Press.

The nationalities of the three killed soldiers have not yet been released, pending notification of next of kin.

In a separate clash Wednesday, The Canadian Press reports that Canadian and Afghan soldiers killed 15 members of the Taliban in a four-hour running firefight in the southern Zhari district.

Two Canadians and three Afghan soldiers suffered minor injuries in the battle.

As NATO spokesman have said, it is the the "fighting season."

Last year, when the government hung the "Gone Fishin'" sign up on Parliament and offered no comment on Afghanistan for several weeks, support for the mission dropped considerably as casualties mounted. It is hard to think that support could drop further but it could if the government doesn't say anything except sorry several times.

you should be asking the Pakistanis, they seem to be the ones offering shelter to the taliban. Have you given one thought about the CIA/Al Qaeda connection?

you should be asking the Pakistanis, they seem to be the ones offering shelter to the taliban. Have you given one thought about the CIA/Al Qaeda connection?

The pakistani gov't would be fine with us killing as many pakistani taliban as possible provided we were able to do it secretly.....or make it look like an act of allah