Canada in 2017

What will Canada be like in 150 years? And not just politically. Think socially, environmentally, spirtually. What will be the technological changes? How long will the work week be? Will families be bigger, smaller, about the same?

Many of you work in various fields. Are there any innovations out there that you think will be of significant change?

What would you like to see Canada become? You can be sarcastic, serious or humerous in your reply. But please your imagination. I'm just curious as to what people see as the future. Also, although not critical, tell us what part of the country you are in, your general age and gender.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I gaze into my political crystal ball Canada seems to have evaporated from the face of North America.

In it's place many stars and stripes flags are now flying and according to hazy historical facts I'am reading in this crystal ball, once proud Canada had been fully absorbed by the U.S. a country no longer able to function.

Failure was due primarily by loss of federal control relating to unity, was unable to cope with the tremendous burden of to many social programs and was unable to cope with globalization crippling the country and resulting in mass unemployment.

Although according to the information I have here all this all happened years ago in the year 2013 a few years after the liberals were voted back in with a majority.

What will Canada be like in 150 years?
Given the thread's title, I hope Canadians are better at math.

I realized that after I typed up the header which I was hoping to change it to mention 150th year. I made it 2017 because that is a year most Stascan projections extend to for cities and provinces on population and other demographic information. It is also Canada's 150th birthday. So do I get my math mark back?

As I gaze into my political crystal ball Canada seems to have evaporated from the face of North America.

In it's place many stars and stripes flags are now flying and according to hazy historical facts I'am reading in this crystal ball, once proud Canada had been fully absorbed by the U.S. a country no longer able to function.

Failure was due primarily by loss of federal control relating to unity, was unable to cope with the tremendous burden of to many social programs and was unable to cope with globalization crippling the country and resulting in mass unemployment.

Although according to the information I have here all this all happened years ago in the year 2013 a few years after the liberals were voted back in with a majority.

You think Canada would be absorbed all at once? As a state? As a territory? As series of states? Would they leave any parts out?

You think Canada would be absorbed all at once? As a state? As a territory? As series of states? Would they leave any parts out?

I'll jump in here to give my unsolicited opinion: the differences between the countries will become more and more meaningless until it's like the difference between states, then counties. There won't be a need to merge the countries because they'll gradually dissolve into the same entity.

I'll jump in here to give my unsolicited opinion: the differences between the countries will become more and more meaningless until it's like the difference between states, then counties. There won't be a need to merge the countries because they'll gradually dissolve into the same entity.

Do you think that between now and 2017, we'll be able to go back to no passport entry?

Canada will be wherever the leadership of this country takes us. Face reality, inside of a few decades the USA will no longer be the dominant power on this earth. China will rise and many will fall. Its time to think in terms of political evolution. Canada can adapt or die. Kissing up to the Americans will cease to function well when their little empire crumbles, as it will.

If Canadians were smart they would start thinking less globally and more locally. If we lose dominance in our own market were are as done as dinner. We already import way to much stuff and decided long ago not to even try to compete with third world nations for manufacuring jobs. We have made many mistakes, but we may yet be able to overcome these things.

Canada will be wherever the leadership of this country takes us. Face reality, inside of a few decades the USA will no longer be the dominant power on this earth. China will rise and many will fall. Its time to think in terms of political evolution. Canada can adapt or die. Kissing up to the Americans will cease to function well when their little empire crumbles, as it will.

China will rise, and who's in bed with China ? The US.

And who owns so much of Canada ? The US.

Countries have already ceased to exist.

If Canadians were smart they would start thinking less globally and more locally. If we lose dominance in our own market were are as done as dinner.

That happened a long time ago. How many Canadian cars are on the market ? Canadian soft drinks ? Laundry detergents ? Who owns our beer companies ?

We already import way to much stuff and decided long ago not to even try to compete with third world nations for manufacuring jobs. We have made many mistakes, but we may yet be able to overcome these things.

The borders were erased to make it easier for business, and to help the rest of us through the trickle-down. Turning back the clock through protectionism would involve another period of adjustment.

2017 is only 11 years away. Going backwards, what catastrophic changes have occurred since 1995?

Heck, we had the Free Trade Election in 1988 when all manner of devastation was about to occur. None of it did. If our health system is under threat, it ain't because of free trade.

I utterly disagree.

The single most important distinction between (English) Canada and the US is that they are separate countries. Canadians do not carry the burden of being American. Canadians have all the benefits of being American but none of the responsibilities. The political life of the two countries is different.

This important distinction is not going to change. Canada will still exist in 2067 (although there may be a new constitution and a different arrangement for Quebec).

----

Now then, predictions for 2017? People will be even more risk averse. We will start to have a culture of death. Many people who anticipated owning valuable real estate will be surprised. Unemployment will not be a problem.

Technology will be different (Wi Fi in particular.)

And you'll see some of these on the road.

What will Canada be like in 150 years? And not just politically. Think socially, environmentally, spirtually. What will be the technological changes? How long will the work week be? Will families be bigger, smaller, about the same?

Many of you work in various fields. Are there any innovations out there that you think will be of significant change?

What would you like to see Canada become? You can be sarcastic, serious or humerous in your reply. But please your imagination. I'm just curious as to what people see as the future. Also, although not critical, tell us what part of the country you are in, your general age and gender.

1 - Canada in 2017 will be a country based of visible minorities.

2 - Canada along the way will suffer from a terrorist attack

3 - Underemployment will be rampat. Degree's required for driving a truck

4 - Our policital system will be Liberal and cator to minority groups.

5 - The average person will no longer to be able to buy a home. Instead we'll look more like Russia with condo's and apt's everywhere.

6 - An Islamic polical party will have formed.

In 2025, the Islamic party will put a motion forward to seperate from the rest of Canada.

2030, our falling gov't will sell portions of Canada to other countries. ie: The city of Surrey in Vancouver will become an official state of India and Canada will no longer own the land.

Mark my words.

The single most important distinction between (English) Canada and the US is that they are separate countries.

August1991 a question and a little off topic.

Why do you make reference to (English) Canada when there is NO officially English Canada nor official French Canada. All citizen's in Canada are Canadian no matter what language they speak.

The majority language in Canada is certainly English with the official languages being English and French.

But Canada is a single country.

Explanation please.

The single most important distinction between (English) Canada and the US is that they are separate countries.

August1991 a question and a little off topic.

Why do you make reference to (English) Canada when there is NO officially English Canada nor official French Canada. All citizen's in Canada are Canadian no matter what language they speak.

The majority language in Canada is certainly English with the official languages being English and French.

Explanation please.

I don't think at this stage that majority of language spoken in Canada is English:

English (official) 59.3%, French (official) 23.2%, other 17.5%

17.5 + 23.2 = 40.7% that consider their main language as other than English.

Then if you factor in Illegals, Perminant residents, and refugees who do NOT fill out a census form, you would see that we're probably around the 50% mark of people who do not speak English.

What I can tell you with *certainy*, is that when I go shopping on the weekend or do groceries, the average language spoken in the background is something other than English.

By 2017, perhaps, but things could very well get worse before they get better. Then again, if they get that bad and we'll have common perimeter defence. And - the dissolving of the countries into one will happen over a very long time.

Some American Congressmen suggest having a fence on the Canadian border? Likely, unlikely?

If Canadians were smart they would start thinking less globally and more locally. If we lose dominance in our own market were are as done as dinner. We already import way to much stuff and decided long ago not to even try to compete with third world nations for manufacuring jobs. We have made many mistakes, but we may yet be able to overcome these things.

What do you think might be the economic source of Canadian prosperity in the future? Resources or services?

5 - The average person will no longer to be able to buy a home. Instead we'll look more like Russia with condo's and apt's everywhere.

In 2025, the Islamic party will put a motion forward to seperate from the rest of Canada.

2030, our falling gov't will sell portions of Canada to other countries. ie: The city of Surrey in Vancouver will become an official state of India and Canada will no longer own the land.

Mark my words.

I agree with you for the most part:

#1 I agree

#2 Certainly possible but not definate

#3 I disagree. Unemployment is fairly low now and I don't see why it should increase

#4 I agree

#5 I agree. It's already happening in big cities, just look at Vancouver!!

#6 Formed yes, but I doubt they will have won a seat

The last two I also disagree with.

That happened a long time ago. How many Canadian cars are on the market ? Canadian soft drinks ? Laundry detergents ? Who owns our beer companies ?

The borders were erased to make it easier for business, and to help the rest of us through the trickle-down. Turning back the clock through protectionism would involve another period of adjustment.

Do you think that the Canadian economy might be dominated to branch plant status or will there arise a renewed Canadian business sector?

2017 is only 11 years away. Going backwards, what catastrophic changes have occurred since 1995?

Heck, we had the Free Trade Election in 1988 when all manner of devastation was about to occur. None of it did. If our health system is under threat, it ain't because of free trade.

The single most important distinction between (English) Canada and the US is that they are separate countries. Canadians do not carry the burden of being American. Canadians have all the benefits of being American but none of the responsibilities. The political life of the two countries is different.

This important distinction is not going to change. Canada will still exist in 2067 (although there may be a new constitution and a different arrangement for Quebec).

----

Now then, predictions for 2017? People will be even more risk averse. We will start to have a culture of death. Many people who anticipated owning valuable real estate will be surprised. Unemployment will not be a problem.

Technology will be different (Wi Fi in particular.)

And you'll see some of these on the road.

Since 1995, I'd say that September 11 has affected us greatly. Security between Canada and the U.S. that was never a real question in the last years has become a major issue. Afghanistan is a place I don't think any Canadian could imagine themselves being in back in 1995.

What would a culture of death be like? And what about real estate?

Going to look at the link now. Technology is the most astonishing one to think about. In 1995, the public Internet was just beginning. Even people like Bill Gates couldn't see what it would become. No one did.

It's not a matter of just the US and Canada merging, it'll be the whole world and for the better. I can tell you the economic outlook looks way better when anyone of us can work wherever in the world, setup shop wherever. Nations are already losing relevence in the big scheme of things, why bother with the nationalism anymore. What happens in Montana or Idaho or even Texas usually has a bigger influence on my life than what happens in Halifax or even Montreal/Toronto anyways. It makes more sense to draw the lines culturally and economically if you need to draw them at all.

What I can tell you with *certainy*, is that when I go shopping on the weekend or do groceries, the average language spoken in the background is something other than English.

Live in Toronto? Vancouver? Everywhere else in Canada is really English (besides Quebec of course).

I think things will pretty much look like they do now. The English language has always been a unifying factor and now is the world language. I believe that the importance of French will gradually fade for that reason. People don't want to be speaking a dieing and minor world language. Certainly, they won't be able to conduct business in French.

I do not see formal merger with the US, since the US probably wants no part of YT, NWT, NU, NL, NS, PEI and/or NB.

Mark my words.

I think you're right that Canada will have more visiible minorities. But there will also be many more second, third and fourth generation visible minorities. At that point, there is a lot more integration of cultures that happens, more intermarriage, stronger ties to Canada.

Do you think there will be a more dominant ethnic group or nationality in the next year?

I tend to agree that we will probably have a terrorist attack. What I'm not sure is if it will be something like eco-terrorism, homegrown ethnic terrorism from a disaffected group from First Nations or Quebec or...Alberta or outside terrorism of whatever political or religious extremism.

Why do you think we might be underemployed? Technology or the like? I know we have a huge shortage of truck drivers. Why do you think that is? I don't think they require a degree but it is a hard job regardless given the hours and deadlines.

Do you not think that as the population ages, there will be a shift to condos and apartments anyways? It might affect the price by 2017. The latest increase in price is a combination of low interest rates, higher incomes and employment levels and growing economy. We're at the high point now. There could be an easing. Five or six years ago, the housing market was stagnant and some prices had collapsed. There is some indication in the U.S. of an overbuilding happening and prices are due for a drop.

There are many branches of Islam. Will the one in Canada be extremist or moderate?

And what area do you think would separate? You think it will possible to sell parts of Canada to other nations?

I think things will pretty much look like they do now. The English language has always been a unifying factor and now is the world language. I believe that the importance of French will gradually fade for that reason. People don't want to be speaking a dieing and minor world language. Certainly, they won't be able to conduct business in French.

I do not see formal merger with the US, since the US probably wants no part of YT, NWT, NU, NL, NS, PEI and/or NB.

I agree English will be firmly entrenched as the language of international commerce. China is going crazy teaching English to its people.

Some of the territories you mention could be the source of great resource wealth. If the United States had the opportunity to take Canada in as a territory or state, they might seriously consider it.

Since 1995, I'd say that September 11 has affected us greatly. Security between Canada and the U.S. that was never a real question in the last years has become a major issue. Afghanistan is a place I don't think any Canadian could imagine themselves being in back in 1995.

What would a culture of death be like? And what about real estate?

The WTC attacks affected the US but this was about Canada. I don't think there will be terror attacks on Canadian soil. A major attack outside Canada would affect us but such an attack is an imponderable.

What was Rumsfeld's line. There are the things we know we know and then there are the things we know we don't know.

Good point though, dobbin.

----

Culture of death?

Take a look at this animated age pyramid. It stops at 2006 but you can easily imagine what will happen in 10 years. The bulge of baby-boomers will start hitting the age of higher death rates.

I have seen extreme cases of this in villages in Eastern Europe. There is a certain peacefulness to it. Older people quietly going about their lives, talking about their younger days, complaining of aches and pains and missing people have died.

Real estate?

Well, alot of people are in their high-earning years and have paid off their mortgage. For them, their house is a major investment and its high value gives them confidence. There will be increasing estate sales and I don't know how that will affect the market or more particularly the attitudes of people.

The English language has always been a unifying factor and now is the world language. I believe that the importance of French will gradually fade for that reason. People don't want to be speaking a dieing and minor world language. Certainly, they won't be able to conduct business in French.
I suspect you are unlingual and so you have a very narrow view of language and how it is used. I am not afraid of French disappearing and instead, I am usually impressed by how its quality has improved. People will be speaking French in North America in 2017 and for many years after.

I said the single most important distinction between English-Canada and the US is the fact that English-Canadians are not Americans. That distinction is true also about French-Canadians but they have other distinctions as well, language being notable.

Like it or not, Canada has two linguistic communities.

Leafless, if you want to start a new thread on English-Canada and French-Canada, go ahead. Maybe I'll be drawn into the debate.

By 2017, perhaps, but things could very well get worse before they get better. Then again, if they get that bad and we'll have common perimeter defence. And - the dissolving of the countries into one will happen over a very long time.

Some American Congressmen suggest having a fence on the Canadian border? Likely, unlikely?

It depends on how many immigrants we have by that time.

People who make trouble at the border and try to smuggle people in are not Canadians.

Busses of Muslims travel to the US on a weekley basis almost.

Have you seen Niagra Falls? If so you know what i'm talking about. This is indeed a threat to US security.

People don't want to come to Canada, they really want the US - the ultimate country. They are only settling for what they feel is the next best thing.