So We Can Expect More Harper Liberal-Bashing? Yawn!

Tories get tips on keeping power

Elizabeth Thompson, CanWest News Service; Montreal Gazette

Published: Sunday, May 07, 2006

Link to Canwest Article

"Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government should do its best over the coming year to

dig up embarrassing information on the former Liberal administration and portray it as

corrupt, a prominent Republican pollster counseled an influential group of Conservatives

Saturday.

Speaking a day after meeting with Harper, Frank Luntz described the Conservatives as

allies of the Republicans and urged them to discredit the Liberals so thoroughly that it will

be years before they make it back into power.

The Civitas Society is a low-key, yet influential Conservative group with close ties to

Harper. In its last annual report filed with the government, Harper's chief of staff Ian

Brodie is listed as a director and Brodie attended the group's conference Saturday. Tom

Flanagan, a longtime friend of Harper's and his campaign manager for the leadership, is a

founder of the group and was also there.

Over the course of the weekend, the group will also be discussing euthanasia, judicial

activism by the Supreme Court, "the Moral Justification for War,'' electoral reform and the

future of Canadian cities."

Not another Neo-Conservative group that I have to watch along with the NCC and Fraser Institute. And how reassuring to know that the racist Tom Flanagan is the group's leader:

"The second cause for concern for many native leaders is the presence of Tom Flanagan in

Stephen Harper's inner circle. Flanagan, a conservative, American-born political science

professor at the University of Calgary, is a senior advisor in the Conservative campaign,

and is expected to occupy a similar role in a Stephen Harper government. In 2000, he

wrote an explosive book called First Nations? Second Thoughts.....

Flanagan thinks the long-term solution to their problems might be to allow them to wither

away by cutting off their supply of federal cash."

Flanagan Link

Another Flanagan Link

I have always said that Stephen Harper is a Republican at heart but the fact that he is now taking advice from them on how to run his government confirms that he is not only a Republican at heart....but a REPUBLICAN!

Long before he used George Bush rhetoric to sell us on the war in Afghanistan, his pandering to the American Republican Party was clear. Why else would an American Republican PR firm take credit for his victory

McLaughlin & Associates

They list amoung their political success stories both Conservative Party Leader Stephen Harper (Canada) and The National Citizen's Coalition (Canada) and not long after the election posted this notice on their website

Congrats Link]

Even his religous beliefs are firmly entrenched:

MacLeans Religous

February 20, 2006

The church of Stephen Harper

Colin Campbell

"His church follows in traditions normally associated with American evangelicalism, a

brand of Christianity that has a relatively small following in Canada. In that vein, Harper

appears to have more in common with President George W. Bush, a born-again Christian,

than with his predecessors. At the East Gate Alliance Church, the hymnals even contain

the song America, the Beautiful. "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord,"

Man are we in trouble

"

Didn't the Liberals do just that? Dirt-digging in the past of Harper or any Conservatives they can lay their hands on?

Now the shoe is on the other foot. So?

Don't tell me dirt-digging is purely the exclusive entitlement of the Liberals.

Tories get tips on keeping power

Elizabeth Thompson, CanWest News Service; Montreal Gazette

Published: Sunday, May 07, 2006

Link to Canwest Article

"Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government should do its best over the coming year to

dig up embarrassing information on the former Liberal administration and portray it as

corrupt, a prominent Republican pollster counseled an influential group of Conservatives

Saturday.

Speaking a day after meeting with Harper, Frank Luntz described the Conservatives as

allies of the Republicans and urged them to discredit the Liberals so thoroughly that it will

be years before they make it back into power.

The Civitas Society is a low-key, yet influential Conservative group with close ties to

Harper. In its last annual report filed with the government, Harper's chief of staff Ian

Brodie is listed as a director and Brodie attended the group's conference Saturday. Tom

Flanagan, a longtime friend of Harper's and his campaign manager for the leadership, is a

founder of the group and was also there.

Over the course of the weekend, the group will also be discussing euthanasia, judicial

activism by the Supreme Court, "the Moral Justification for War,'' electoral reform and the

future of Canadian cities."

Not another Neo-Conservative group that I have to watch along with the NCC and Fraser Institute. And how reassuring to know that the racist Tom Flanagan is the group's leader:

"The second cause for concern for many native leaders is the presence of Tom Flanagan in

Stephen Harper's inner circle. Flanagan, a conservative, American-born political science

professor at the University of Calgary, is a senior advisor in the Conservative campaign,

and is expected to occupy a similar role in a Stephen Harper government. In 2000, he

wrote an explosive book called First Nations? Second Thoughts.....

Flanagan thinks the long-term solution to their problems might be to allow them to wither

away by cutting off their supply of federal cash."

Flanagan Link

Another Flanagan Link

I have always said that Stephen Harper is a Republican at heart but the fact that he is now taking advice from them on how to run his government confirms that he is not only a Republican at heart....but a REPUBLICAN!

Long before he used George Bush rhetoric to sell us on the war in Afghanistan, his pandering to the American Republican Party was clear. Why else would an American Republican PR firm take credit for his victory

McLaughlin & Associates

They list amoung their political success stories both Conservative Party Leader Stephen Harper (Canada) and The National Citizen's Coalition (Canada) and not long after the election posted this notice on their website

Congrats Link]

Even his religous beliefs are firmly entrenched:

MacLeans Religous

February 20, 2006

The church of Stephen Harper

Colin Campbell

"His church follows in traditions normally associated with American evangelicalism, a

brand of Christianity that has a relatively small following in Canada. In that vein, Harper

appears to have more in common with President George W. Bush, a born-again Christian,

than with his predecessors. At the East Gate Alliance Church, the hymnals even contain

the song America, the Beautiful. "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord,"

Man are we in trouble

"

Finding dirt is quite easy. I think "dirt-digging" is being extreme. No need to put a lot of muscle into it actually. Thirteen years had gotten the Liberals quite sloppy.

All it takes is a little "rug-lifting." :D

Many are going to miss the point here that the whole article was based on, and that is the conservatives must do this now and make sure they do dig up and expose any and all things that the corrupt Liberals did, as after a year or so anything turning up will be more likely held against the CPC then the liberals. It is like they have only thos certain time to find and report all the nasty deeds and after that, they stand the chnace that it will be seen as their own incompetence for not finding it earlier. So the new broom sweeps clean only for so long, and after that any dirt found sticks to the sweeper.

Many are going to miss the point here that the whole article was based on, and that is the conservatives must do this now and make sure they do dig up and expose any and all things that the corrupt Liberals did, as after a year or so anything turning up will be more likely held against the CPC then the liberals. It is like they have only thos certain time to find and report all the nasty deeds and after that, they stand the chnace that it will be seen as their own incompetence for not finding it earlier. So the new broom sweeps clean only for so long, and after that any dirt found sticks to the sweeper.

Good post, yes indeed. As in Afghanistan and any more troops should die, the blame will end up on Harper. The CPC should be preparing for the next campaign now.

Howevever, I guess we will see endless reams of nitpicking and Harper bashing from now on.... YAWN ZZZZZ

If the Tories have any brains they'll be running special audits all over the place, and directing the AG's attention to anything they find amiss. I'm sure they'll find all sorts of irregularities at those foundations Martin poured billions of dollars into.

The only problem is it takes time.

If the Tories have any brains they'll be running special audits all over the place, and directing the AG's attention to anything they find amiss. I'm sure they'll find all sorts of irregularities at those foundations Martin poured billions of dollars into.

The only problem is it takes time.

I agree that it takes time but let's not forget that it works both ways. I have been hoping that the budget gets passed so that we have another year to expose the radical rightwing groups that are propping up Stephen Harper.

This is not Harper bashing, but Harper enlightenment; which turns out to be a very dark place indeed.

So while his supporters call his flipflopping, personal growth; his ties to groups like the NCC, Fraser Institute and now the Civitas Society; only validate his so-called 'hidden agenda' proposed by many.

This cannot be erased with outlandish 'yes he eats babies and drinks his own blood', screams by the right. These are real and grave concerns with the direction he plans to take our country, and the people he allows into his inner circle.

As for the 'thirteen years of Liberal blah, blah, blah..." It's getting old. If you cannot stand on your own merit without simply pouncing on your opponent, then perhaps you don't have much merit to begin with.

The election is over and it's Harper's turn to be held under the microscope, since he's the one handling (or mishandling as it seems), our money. He can run and hide from the media all he likes, but he can't 'cut and run' from Canadians.

Perhaps those who support his Christian 'values' should ask themselves why God in his infinite wisdom did not give him a majority government. Letting him win a minority was a perfect way to expose his radical ideologies, without allowing him to do too much harm. Just a thought.

Perhaps those who support his Christian 'values' should ask themselves why God in his infinite wisdom did not give him a majority government.

Maybe because it's never that easy for the protagonist to succeed. Please refer to The Good Guys 101.

He has to overcome obstacles and hardships set out by the bad guys....and boy, by the looks of it the Liberals and NDPs are throwing anything and everything to block his way. :D

But the Liberals did that for *thirteen years* running Governemnt. Spent their first four blaming the PCs for every issue they faced. In the 1997, 2000, 2004 and 2006 they ran with scary, scary, scary. Finally quit working in January.

But it's getting old after *10 weeks* of Conservative Government?

Wow, gotta love the hypocrisy. :lol:

As for the 'thirteen years of Liberal blah, blah, blah..." It's getting old. If you cannot stand on your own merit without simply pouncing on your opponent, then perhaps you don't have much merit to begin with.

Tom Flanagan's book isn't explosive, thats just ridiculous.

Can you tell the all the wonderful results that Liberal and Conservative governments in the past have got for the Indians? How they've raise them up through welfare handouts and made them a prosperous people right? Wrong. The current and old methods are complete and utter failures.

Tom Flanagan advocates that Chiefs should raise their own funds through taxation of their band members, making them accountable. Under the Liberal plan, we would have handed out nearly $14,000 per Indian in welfare supplements and Indian focused programming on top of the normal funding of Indian affairs and then land claims settlements and further cash subsidies. We generally hand out about $16-20k a year per each Indian.

If the Indians were actually getting $20,000 each they wouldn't have problems now would they? But instead, we have the senior management, the band councils, ripping off Indians and stashing much of the cash themselves.

So that's what Flanagan advocates ending. Have the Indians have their land and have them tax and operate internally, or otherwise adapt to our society. Having the chiefs tax their own people would create accountability, and would end these corrupt induviduals from ripping off both Canadians and Indians.

Actual quote from Flanagan:

"Governments should help the reserves to run as honestly and efficiently as possible", he argues, "but should not flood them with even more money, which would encourage unsustainable growth in the number of residents."

What CBC tells you:

"Flanagan thinks the long-term solution to their problems might be to allow them to wither away by cutting off their supply of federal cash."

Doesn't say that at all in the quote. You have a horrible biased source with a major agenda, please find something crediable. He sees the massive corruption and problems in the reservation system. He sees that no one has a magical inherent right to land.

So please, if you trying to dig up dirty on the topic, do your research first. I've actually talked to Flanagan, he teaches at my school, and he isn't an insane right-wing zealot on a quest to starve Indians. He understands that this would be better for them all.

But the Liberals did that for *thirteen years* running Governemnt. Spent their first four blaming the PCs for every issue they faced. In the 1997, 2000, 2004 and 2006 they ran with scary, scary, scary. Finally quit working in January.

Wow, gotta love the hypocrisy. :lol:

Will your vile bashing of the Liberals ever stop Shoop? :rolleyes:

This is all politics. The Liberals are doing damage control. Anyone with half a brain knows it.

Only time will tell if this "broom sweeps clean only for so long, and after that any dirt found sticks to the sweeper" tripe will work. I hope Canadians aren't stupid enough to fall for it.

Just out of curiosity, they still call them Indians in Alberta?

They are Indians. First immigrants that live on reservations under the Indian Act are legally classified as 'Indians', that's the legal term. So I'm calling them what they legally are, why would I be so P.C. to lie to everyone with another term. The courts call them Indians.

I'm only talking about Indians here, not first immigrants. I'm not viewing this as a racial thing, I'm viewing it as a socio-cultural issue. Indians are a social group, first immigrants are a racial group (which is so divided and diversified its not even one racial group).

Wow, gotta love the hypocrisy.

It's not getting old after ten weeks of CPC government. It's getting old because we've heard nothing but during the campaign. It's getting old because we've heard nothing but since the opening of Parliament. Everytime Harper gets backed into a corner he uses the 'thirteen years card'. Realizing that he is taking advice from a Rebublican pollster to do more of the same only intensifies the realization that the CPC believes that mudslinging is the best way to hold onto power, instead of perhaps thinking that looking out for the good of all Canadians would be a much better approach.

Let's not forget that for many of those 13 years, the Liberals were cleaning up the mess left by Mulroney. Now that the Liberals have left the Frat House boys lots of money to gamble with, they're having a ball.

I also stand by my disgust of Tom Flanagan and his beliefs toward Canada's First Nations. Calling them only immigrants and implying that they would have been nowhere had the Europeans not stumbled upon them, is pure nonsense. I've ordered First Nations, Second thoughts; and if I find something in there to change my views; I will apologize. However, the bits I've read so far just make my skin crawl.

Hmmm....digging up dirt. Harper has almost made it too easy with his appointments of Flaherty, Baird (who also spoke at the Civitas Meeting) and Clement. The NCC took credit for the so-called 'Common Sense Revolution' that brought Mike Harris and his 'Whiz Kids' into power. However, after they whizzed all over us, and scandals forced the resignation of Harris, we were glad to see the end of them. Knowing they are in the federal cabinet, exposing their corruption will be like taking candy from a baby.

Personally, I hate that Canadian politics have stooped to this level, but since the CPC now wants to take us down this road, I'm not going unarmed. I've taken a page from Preston Manning's Reform handbook. He advised his people to keep scrapbooks on all their political opponents and to be prepared to use whatever wrongdoings they could to get elected.

My book is now 32 pages and counting and I plan to give copies to all political parties next election, including the CPC. Maybe if they realize that they're not as squeaky clean as they like to portray themselves, they'll back off and run a clean campaign, instead of just ducking mudballs.

Wow, gotta love the hypocrisy.

It's not getting old after ten weeks of CPC government. It's getting old because we've heard nothing but during the campaign. It's getting old because we've heard nothing but since the opening of Parliament. Everytime Harper gets backed into a corner he uses the 'thirteen years card'.

The Liberals blamed the previous Tory government for years after their election. The Ontario Liberal government continues to blame all ills in the province on the previous Tory government, after 2 1/2 years in office.

Realizing that he is taking advice from a Rebublican pollster to do more of the same only intensifies the realization that the CPC believes that mudslinging is the best way to hold onto power, instead of perhaps thinking that looking out for the good of all Canadians would be a much better approach.

The Liberals have been a mudslinging party for twenty years. That's ALL they do, at election time or between election times. They are a party of smears, lies, distortion and inuendo. Oddly, this doesn't appear to bother you much. As for "taking advice" anyone with half a brain knows the Tories would be looking for more adscam frauds. They hardly need advice from the Republicans for that.

Let's not forget that for many of those 13 years, the Liberals were cleaning up the mess left by Mulroney.

:lol: It was Mulroney's fault for years, but after 13 weeks out of power the Liberals are as saints, bearing no blame for anything. :lol:

Now that the Liberals have left the Frat House boys lots of money to gamble with, they're having a ball.

I also stand by my disgust of Tom Flanagan and his beliefs toward Canada's First Nations. Calling them only immigrants and implying that they would have been nowhere had the Europeans not stumbled upon them, is pure nonsense.

Technically, they are not native to North America, any more than any of the rest of us. As for what might have developed here without interference, who knows. But there were no signs of scientific development of any kind, and no reason to expect them to emerge any time soon. It's possible that left completely on their own the natives would be flying around in airplanes today - but extremely unlikely. More likely, they'd still be walking wherever they needed to go (no horses, remember).

Hmmm....digging up dirt. Harper has almost made it too easy with his appointments of Flaherty, Baird (who also spoke at the Civitas Meeting) and Clement. The NCC took credit for the so-called 'Common Sense Revolution' that brought Mike Harris and his 'Whiz Kids' into power. However, after they whizzed all over us, and scandals forced the resignation of Harris, we were glad to see the end of them.

Harris faced the united and unyielding opposition of all labour groups, especially including all government unionized employees, and the spiteful hatred of the media. Yet he still won big majorities. When he bowed out he was replaced by the kinder, gentler Eves, who gave big raises to the civil service unions in hopes of buying their favour, reversed some of the Harris policies, let the budget get out of hand, and was defeated by the noxious Dalton McGuinty. A lot of Ontarions are now looking back to the Harris days with fond nostalgia, and no-doubt the Liberals brief flirtation with power will be over at the next election.

Knowing they are in the federal cabinet, exposing their corruption will be like taking candy from a baby.

Do you have any evidence of corruption? Any at all? And could whatever they've done possibly hold a candle to the ouright bribery, racketeering, bid-rigging, fraud and money laundering involving the previous administration all the way up to its lying, crooked Prime Minister?

Personally, I hate that Canadian politics have stooped to this level, but since the CPC now wants to take us down this road,

I'm not going unarmed. I've taken a page from Preston Manning's Reform handbook. He advised his people to keep scrapbooks on all their political opponents and to be prepared to use whatever wrongdoings they could to get elected.

My book is now 32 pages and counting and I plan to give copies to all political parties next election, including the CPC. Maybe if they realize that they're not as squeaky clean as they like to portray themselves, they'll back off and run a clean campaign, instead of just ducking mudballs.

It's not getting old after ten weeks of CPC government. It's getting old because we've heard nothing but during the campaign. It's getting old because we've heard nothing but since the opening of Parliament. Everytime Harper gets backed into a corner he uses the 'thirteen years card'.

The Liberals blamed the previous Tory government for years after their election. The Ontario Liberal government continues to blame all ills in the province on the previous Tory government, after 2 1/2 years in office.

Realizing that he is taking advice from a Rebublican pollster to do more of the same only intensifies the realization that the CPC believes that mudslinging is the best way to hold onto power, instead of perhaps thinking that looking out for the good of all Canadians would be a much better approach.

The Liberals have been a mudslinging party for twenty years. That's ALL they do, at election time or between election times. They have no ideas, no visions, no policies except whatever the polls tell them will be popular with target groups. They are a party of smears, lies, distortion and inuendo. Oddly, this doesn't appear to bother you much. As for "taking advice" anyone with half a brain knows the Tories would be looking for more adscam frauds. They hardly need advice from the Republicans for that.

Let's not forget that for many of those 13 years, the Liberals were cleaning up the mess left by Mulroney.

:lol: It was Mulroney's fault for years, but after 13 weeks out of power the Liberals are as saints, bearing no blame for anything. :lol:

I also stand by my disgust of Tom Flanagan and his beliefs toward Canada's First Nations. Calling them only immigrants and implying that they would have been nowhere had the Europeans not stumbled upon them, is pure nonsense.

Technically, they are not native to North America, any more than any of the rest of us. As for what might have developed here without interference, who knows. But there were no signs of scientific development of any kind, and no reason to expect them to emerge any time soon. It's possible that left completely on their own the natives would be flying around in airplanes today - but extremely unlikely. More likely, they'd still be walking wherever they needed to go (no horses, remember).

Hmmm....digging up dirt. Harper has almost made it too easy with his appointments of Flaherty, Baird (who also spoke at the Civitas Meeting) and Clement. The NCC took credit for the so-called 'Common Sense Revolution' that brought Mike Harris and his 'Whiz Kids' into power. However, after they whizzed all over us, and scandals forced the resignation of Harris, we were glad to see the end of them.

Harris faced the united and unyielding opposition of all labour groups, especially including all government unionized employees, and the spiteful hatred of the media. Yet he still won big majorities. When he bowed out he was replaced by the kinder, gentler Eves, who gave big raises to the civil service unions in hopes of buying their favour, reversed some of the Harris policies, let the budget get out of hand, and was defeated by the noxious Dalton McGuinty. A lot of Ontarions are now looking back to the Harris days with fond nostalgia, and no-doubt the Liberals brief flirtation with power will be over at the next election.

Knowing they are in the federal cabinet, exposing their corruption will be like taking candy from a baby.

Do you have any evidence of corruption? Any at all? And could whatever they've done possibly hold a candle to the ouright bribery, racketeering, bid-rigging, fraud and money laundering involving the previous administration all the way up to its lying, crooked Prime Minister?

Personally, I hate that Canadian politics have stooped to this level, but since the CPC now wants to take us down this road,

Such an unfamiliar road, too. Why, I bet the poor, sensitive Liberals will need guides and maps and everything, never before having encountered such muck and dirt. Such gentle, kindly, noble souls they are.

Now that the Liberals have left the Frat House boys lots of money to gamble with, they're having a ball.
Describing Harper, Flaherty, Toews, Day, Ambrose and so on as "frat house boys" is vaguely absurd if not downright amusing.

Now then, who is truly guilty of importing American-style politics and terminology into Canada? The Left or the Right?