Charles Pleads for Tolerance

Pretty good article here about tolerance and comments by Prince Charles.m http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/ed...f5-2d200b1bf9f2

I fully agree that there is absolutely NO moral equivalence between "Islamophobia" in Europe and the barbarism in many Muslim countries.

"The plea for tolerance among people of faith by Charles, Prince of Wales is welcome, especially coming as it does in the heart of a region beset by intolerance. Speaking to an audience of Muslim clerics at Al-Azhar University in Cairo on Tuesday, the Prince emphasized the similarities between the world's great monotheistic religions -- Christianity, Islam and Judaism -- and spoke out against those who under the cloak of religion seek to foment hatred and division. "Responsible men and women," he said, "must work to restore mutual respect between faiths." There is no place in the world where this message is more urgently needed than the Muslim Middle East.

Consistent with the Western media's penchant for civilizational self-flagellation, much of the commentary on the Prince's remarks has predictably focused on his criticism of the notorious Danish cartoons of Muhammad, and his statements regarding the need for greater acceptance of Muslim minorities in Western countries. Among them: "I think of the experience of Muslims living in Europe who are subject to varied and continuous expressions of Islamophobia by fellow Europeans."

But his remarks cut both ways: "I think of Christians living within some Muslim nations, who find themselves fettered by harsh and degrading restrictions, or subject to abuse by some of their fellow citizens. And I think of dreadful acts of terrorism and violence across the world carried out in the distorted name of faith."

It goes without saying that there is no moral equivalence between what the Prince terms "Islamophobia" in Europe and the cruelty -- indeed barbarism -- meted out to non-Muslims in many Muslim countries when they attempt to observe their faith. And we presume the Prince understands that.

The fact is that the situation for Muslims in the West is very nearly the same as that faced by practitioners of any other religious belief in a determinedly secular society, and radically unlike anything experienced by Christians or Jews in Muslim countries. Even if faith is not celebrated, freedom of religion is studiously observed in the secular countries that once made up Christendom (and also in the state of Israel). This respect and acceptance are reciprocated in few Muslim countries. On the contrary, brutal attacks on churches in Pakistan, the outright prohibition of Christianity and other minority religions in Saudi Arabia, anti-Jewish hate-mongering and a perpetual campaign of harassment, inequality and attacks are the norm."

The fact is that the situation for Muslims in the West is very nearly the same as that faced by practitioners of any other religious belief in a determinedly secular society, and radically unlike anything experienced by Christians or Jews in Muslim countries.
It depends on the country in the Middle East, but I think this remark gets at the main issue, in a way that touches the human notion of fairness.

Christians are certainly not treated the same way in Saudi Arabia as Muslims are in, say, Italy.

More exacty, we live in secular societies where most citizens have accepted willy-nilly the ideas of the Enlightenment. Societies elsewhere in the world are different. This is the sense of saying that there is a "clash of civilizations".

There is no doubt in my mind that the deft hand of Tony Blair is behind this speech of Princ Charles at the university in Cairo. Tolerance is in order now.

Hi scrib's ...Your link doesn't work!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/1957421.stm sorry don't know why, try this one.

I agree we need to be tolerant of others, but so far I don't see a whole lot of tolerance coming from the Muslim religion. They need to walk the talk more than any other religion.

Well, Charlie took his message of tolerance to the middle east this week. He went to an Islamic university which follows Saudi Arabia's strict Wahhabi school of faith. But guess what...he never even mentioned the lack of religious freedom in that country. He and his wife had to attend separate functions, heck Camilla couldn't even step foot on the university campus, its men only - no women need apply. Guess Charlie doesn't have the guts to ask for tolerance where it it most needed.

Well, Charlie took his message of tolerance to the middle east this week. He went to an Islamic university which follows Saudi Arabia's strict Wahhabi school of faith. But guess what...he never even mentioned the lack of religious freedom in that country. He and his wife had to attend separate functions, heck Camilla couldn't even step foot on the university campus, its men only - no women need apply. Guess Charlie doesn't have the guts to ask for tolerance where it it most needed.

Agreed.