Is Caitlin Clark not Gay or Black Enough for the WBNA?

Just now, Black Dog said:

I don't think that's an apples to apples comparison given the realities of race relations and representation in the United States. 

LOL, what a cowardly, dishonest position you have here. 

3 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Not an argument.

No, it was an accurate observation. I made my argument and you balked, trying to claim it was not a fair comparison. 

All you did was prove my point. 

Here and in other threads, you clearly have some kind of bent against white people that borders on racism if not out right being racist. 

You selectively single out white people as bigots for doing the same thing that anyone else would do. 

1 minute ago, User said:

No, it was an accurate observation. I made my argument and you balked, trying to claim it was not a fair comparison. 

All you did was prove my point. 

yeah I rejected your premise, boo hoo cry about it.

Here and in other threads, you clearly have some kind of bent against white people that borders on racism if not out right being racist. 

Again: boo hoo cry about it.

You selectively single out white people as bigots for doing the same thing that anyone else would do. 

And you ignore the cultural context in which these things operate.

You have to be retarded if you think that the same impulses are at work in a historically underrepresented and marginalized minority group appreciating some cultural representation and white people suddenly developing interest in a league because a white girl is the new face of it.

24 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

yeah I rejected your premise, boo hoo cry about it.

LOL, I am no more crying than you are. 

Again: boo hoo cry about it.

You are the one crying about being called out for what you are doing. 

And you ignore the cultural context in which these things operate.

You have to be retarded if you think that the same impulses are at work in a historically underrepresented and marginalized minority group appreciating some cultural representation and white people suddenly developing interest in a league because a white girl is the new face of it.

No, you are stereotyping an entire race of people, making presumptions about them and their motivations. The cultural context doesn't justify that. 

You are proving the point of this thread... that it is somehow bad that white people take an interest in a white person doing well. 

*GASP* Oh no!

Yes, boo hoo indeed, you need to cry about it some more. 

1 minute ago, User said:

LOL, I am no more crying than you are. 

You are the one crying about being called out for what you are doing. 

You're crying racism about stuff I said about white people. Soft.

No, you are stereotyping an entire race of people, making presumptions about them and their motivations. The cultural context doesn't justify that. 

Lol white knighting for white people, what a world.

You are proving the point of this thread... that it is somehow bad that white people take an interest in a white person doing well. 

*GASP* Oh no!

It's telling you have to strip away all context and describe this situation in the most benign terms possible to make the point and it's still stupid.

I think it says something that white people ignore a sport dominated by Black and LGBTQ people for literally decades but come running when some mid looking straight white girl shows up.

Yes, boo hoo indeed, you need to cry about it some more. 

Unoriginal and a crybaby, sad to see.

2 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

You're crying racism about stuff I said about white people. Soft.

Now you are crying that I responded to your racism. 

Lol white knighting for white people, what a world.

As opposed to your black knighting?

3 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

It's telling you have to strip away all context and describe this situation in the most benign terms possible to make the point and it's still stupid.

I think it says something that white people ignore a sport dominated by Black and LGBTQ people for literally decades but come running when some mid looking straight white girl shows up.

Do you think it says something that Black people are not as interested in watching a show with almost all white people in it as opposed to one with more black people too?

That Black people are not as interested in Hockey? 

6 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Unoriginal and a crybaby, sad to see.

Keep crying!

I don't know how much race has to do with it but women in general are mean and jealous as hell and they simply don't like the fact that a rookie is getting far more attention than any of them have. They want to be the ones to put the WNBA on the map and they are mad someone else with no time in the league is doing it. I think after this season is over the bull they have against her subsides.

I don't watch WNBA and have no desire to but this is generally how these sports start gaining popularity and you need that spark of a player that catches people's attention. Caitlin Clark is just the spark that starts the engine the WNBA needs to keep feeding the engine with popular talent with personality to keep it running.

If you say white athletes get all the attention you obviously never watch NFL or NBA, race has nothing to do with. Look at the most popular NBA players in history and you find mainly black people on that list.

Funny thing is treating her like crap is just making her more popular because not only do you have a bad ass rookiebut an underdog to boot. If she becomes on of the biggest superstars in the WNBA they will make movies about her.

Edited by Fluffypants

3 minutes ago, User said:

Now you are crying that I responded to your racism. 

What racism, put up or shut up, pu$$y.

As opposed to your black knighting?

Not a term, dummy.

Do you think it says something that Black people are not as interested in watching a show with almost all white people in it as opposed to one with more black people too?

No I don't think it says the same thing, largely because for most of history shows with almost all Black people simply did not exist.

That Black people are not as interested in Hockey? 

Neither are most white people lol.

Keep crying!

sqq4p82e1m9b1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Fluffypants said:

If you say white athletes get all the attention you obviously never watch NFL or NBA, race has nothing to do with. Look at the most popular NBA players in history and you find mainly black people on that list.

Do you think it was always this way?

Just now, Black Dog said:

What racism, put up or shut up, pu$$y.

LOL, looks like you let me get under your skin, now you are left with petty name calling. 

1 minute ago, Black Dog said:

Not a term, dummy.

Just as much as yours was. 

1 minute ago, Black Dog said:

No I don't think it says the same thing, largely because for most of history shows with almost all Black people simply did not exist.

And? For most of the WNBA, elite white players like this have not existed. 

Neither are most white people lol.

Nice dodge. NHL audience is mostly white people. Why don't more black people watch? Are they bigots?

Keep crying!

1 minute ago, User said:

LOL, looks like you let me get under your skin, now you are left with petty name calling. 

No I've been calling you names from the start. And you still can't prove I'm racist lol.

Just as much as yours was. 

No white-knighting is an actual term in online discourse.

And? For most of the WNBA, elite white players like this have not existed. 

Yes and the second one shows up the hype train goes into overdrive because the market knows white people don't like watching black women players.

Nice dodge. NHL audience is mostly white people. Why don't more black people watch? Are they bigots?

Because there are a lot more white people than Black people, especially in Canada. It's math.

Keep crying!

Try not to get tears on your keyboard, it's bad for it.

6 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

No I've been calling you names from the start. And you still can't prove I'm racist lol.

What I said:

"Here and in other threads, you clearly have some kind of bent against white people that borders on racism if not out right being racist. "

I don't have to prove this, your words do.

10 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

No white-knighting is an actual term in online discourse.

Oh, I get it now. So you are white-knighting too! Thanks for correcting me to what you are doing as well. 

12 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Yes and the second one shows up the hype train goes into overdrive because the market knows white people don't like watching black women players.

Just like many black people don't like watching a bunch of white people in many other things. So?

And many of my Asian friends love K-Pop. Bigots! All of them! 

14 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Because there are a lot more white people than Black people, especially in Canada. It's math.

There are more white people than black people in the audience for everything... including NBA, NFL, etc... yet, Hockey is mostly a white audience compared to those. 

Stop with the games, you know the point I am making and you are trying to hide from it. 

15 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Try not to get tears on your keyboard, it's bad for it.

I guess you would be the expert there. Thanks for the advice. 

3 hours ago, Black Dog said:

Let's not go crazy, she's an Iowa 8 but a real world 5, max.

Shes a WNBA 9.

Seen Britney Griner? That was the current face of that sport. In perspective, Clark is a supermodel in comparison.

retarded.

What makes it retarded? You can laugh and dismiss, or you can articulate a better argument that picks mine apart. 

You don't have much of an argument otherwise. 

There have been lots of dynamic talents in the WNBA. 

None quite like Clark. She's a needle mover with her skill set. She moves the needle like Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, in her ability to bring non traditional fans to her sport due to her well above average skillset.

so she makes bigots can feel comfortable watching

And am pushing conspiracies or retarded? Your sentence doesn't even make sense.

Also, just maybe, her being white and girl next door like, make her more relatable and approachable?

Everyone knows a Caitlin Clark. Barely 6' tall, underdog, world doubting her forcing her to prove it wrong. Crowd chanted "overrated" during one of her games. She turned it up, and dropped 42 points, and silenced it, a la Michael Jordan.

Very few of us know a Britney Griner, who used to have dreadlocks and is nearly 7' tall, arrested in Russia for importing drugs.

You also don't seem to understand the argument.

I think that would fall on you, laughing at posts, yet making less sense on yours.

1 hour ago, User said:

What I said:

"Here and in other threads, you clearly have some kind of bent against white people that borders on racism if not out right being racist. "

I don't have to prove this, your words do.

What words, specifically. put up or shut up, loser.

Oh, I get it now. So you are white-knighting too! Thanks for correcting me to what you are doing as well. 

Difference is you're white knighting the least oppressed and marginalized people in the world.

Just like many black people don't like watching a bunch of white people in many other things. So?

And many of my Asian friends love K-Pop. Bigots! All of them! 

Uh, any evidence for that?

There are more white people than black people in the audience for everything... including NBA, NFL, etc... yet, Hockey is mostly a white audience compared to those. 

Stop with the games, you know the point I am making and you are trying to hide from it. 

Hockey is a regional rump sport, NFL, NBA, MLB are universal.

20 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

What words, specifically. put up or shut up, loser.

You play dumb well. You must have a lot of practice. 

21 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Difference is you're white knighting the least oppressed and marginalized people in the world.

So what? That doesn't make it OK to single them out for desperate treatment based on race. 

22 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Uh, any evidence for that?

You can't even deal with Hockey or K-Pop. 

22 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Hockey is a regional rump sport, NFL, NBA, MLB are universal.

he WNBA is barely a regional sport... yet here you are drawing large conclusions about its viewership. 

11 hours ago, Black Dog said:

white people don't like watching black women players

You're pulling arguments out of your butt.

People don't watch sports due to gender. They watch sports, based on the talent.

WNBA isn't lower in ratings because they are women. The skill level doesn't come close to the NBA.

Golf was made popular by Tiger Woods not because he was black. He was insanely talented.

Michael Jordan didn't make basketball so popular because he was black. He was a generational talent.

Ronda Rousey, didn't dominate in combat sports because she was a white woman. She was seemingly unbeatable and incredibly skilled.

You're under this impression that people who move needles, do so because of color or people being nice to them or something.

Bring in a charismatic generational talent, and people will come and watch.

The sport will matter little. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

If she is still this dominant, I wouldn't be surprised if she was.

She is the lead story now because it is the NFL offseason, there is no college football, the NBA finals is not the most compelling, and it is the doldrums of the MLB season. When she is no longer novelty.. her star will fade. Her play will improve but the bump that she gives WNBA ratings will decline. 

Even with Caitlin Clark the WNBA is still losing 50 million. The WNBA is such a failure. This league cannot live on its own and they want get all mad because a white woman is more popular than they are. If I were them I would be more worried about the NBA just saying this experiment was a failure and telling them they got to figure it out how to make it on their own.

Edited by Fluffypants

18 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Good luck finding high ratings watching the NFL outside the US border. 

You clearly haven't traveled much if you think this is a universal sport.

We're talking about the US here which is why I didn't't include soccer or cricket.

13 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

You're pulling arguments out of your butt.

People don't watch sports due to gender. They watch sports, based on the talent.

WNBA isn't lower in ratings because they are women. The skill level doesn't come close to the NBA.

Golf was made popular by Tiger Woods not because he was black. He was insanely talented.

Michael Jordan didn't make basketball so popular because he was black. He was a generational talent.

Ronda Rousey, didn't dominate in combat sports because she was a white woman. She was seemingly unbeatable and incredibly skilled.

You're under this impression that people who move needles, do so because of color or people being nice to them or something.

Bring in a charismatic generational talent, and people will come and watch.

The sport will matter little. 

Yes those two previously unknown sports, golf and basketball. lmao.

1 hour ago, Black Dog said:

We're talking about the US

You called it a universal sport. 

It is far from it. 

Combat sports are far more universal.

1 hour ago, Black Dog said:

Yes those two previously unknown sports

Am pointing to how one person made a sport go from lower echelon among major sports, to being international sensations.

3 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

When she is no longer novelty.. her star will fade. 

If her hype is real, I would doubt that.

13 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

It is far from it. 

Context is your friend.

Am pointing to how one person made a sport go from lower echelon among major sports, to being international sensations.

Golf and basketball weren't lower echelon sports before those guys.

35 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

It is far from it. 

If her hype is real, I would doubt that.

It happens with male athletes who have a far greater audience. Steph curry is a fine example. When asked by most who is the best player in the league or biggest star.. his name rarely comes up