British Columbia to recriminalize use of drugs in public spaces

49 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

perhaps you did not want the hard approach, incarcerate till cured? Sounds like you were an enabler?

The hard approach did not work for a damn. Just makes them feel more unwanted - something the addictive mind reinforces as a truth. That's why this legal hardline BS never worked.

In spite of your insistence  that the BC led approach 'didn't work', I say otherwise. The only failure was to predict the public annoyance aspect, I too would not have thought of it at the time. Nor have predicted the position of the BC Court on the first attempt at regulating it.
Do you know how many times my kid walked away from rehab? They can't and won't make you stay, they know that's useless.
I'm only ragging you as you keep using alarmist invalid stereotypes for your criticism of treatment methods and reverting to criminal solutions that as I repeat 'defintitely have not worked for 100 years'.

Good God, this brain chemistry is so f*cked up, so frustrating that I walked away a semester short of a Psych degree in 1974 and went back to electronics. Like they say "Good computers are like good women, they do exactly what you want if you ask them the right way"

2 hours ago, herbie said:

10 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Not sure if you are a former junkie or have some in your family

That's where you're 100% incorrect.

Ahh  so you're not a former junkie - you're still one

Explains a lot actually.

13 hours ago, herbie said:

The hard approach did not work for a damn. Just makes them feel more unwanted - something the addictive mind reinforces as a truth. That's why this legal hardline BS never worked.

In spite of your insistence  that the BC led approach 'didn't work', I say otherwise. The only failure was to predict the public annoyance aspect, I too would not have thought of it at the time. Nor have predicted the position of the BC Court on the first attempt at regulating it.
Do you know how many times my kid walked away from rehab? They can't and won't make you stay, they know that's useless.
I'm only ragging you as you keep using alarmist invalid stereotypes for your criticism of treatment methods and reverting to criminal solutions that as I repeat 'defintitely have not worked for 100 years'.

Good God, this brain chemistry is so f*cked up, so frustrating that I walked away a semester short of a Psych degree in 1974 and went back to electronics. Like they say "Good computers are like good women, they do exactly what you want if you ask them the right way"

You say "them" like all addicts. I suggest to you that the tragedy that befell you was one, not all.

You may say otherwise but I can pretty well say that it was not some unknown public servant that made this decision sitting in their cubicle by themselves. i am quite sure for a government to backtrack such a controversial program that there were many experts (all detached as opposed to personal involvement) involved.

"Ragging" on me is pointless. I am far from an expert and only an observer yet, I see and hear and read of the failure of the gentle on the addicts programs. Fact is things are getting worse. More people are dying every year and less is being done to help.

So, if what was being done over the past 100 years does not help, then what do we do? Oh, lets give up and let them take drugs anywhere, anytime without consequences. Nothing wrong with that? Maybe we should become harsher on addicts??;

5 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

So, if what was being done over the past 100 years does not help, then what do we do? Oh, lets give up and let them take drugs anywhere, anytime without consequences.

Nice circular argument again. Right back to the 'It must be back to what didn't work for a century because after one year part of PlanB didn't work, therefore all of PlanB is no good'.

There's 1,000 issues involved so let's leave it to the experts, doctors and social workers etc. and tell the loudmouth politicians who feed solely on gut issue publicity and don't actually give a damn about who or what they rail about to STFU.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, herbie said:

Nice circular argument again. Right back to the 'It must be back to what didn't work for a century because after one year part of PlanB didn't work, therefore all of PlanB is no good'.

There's 1,000 issues involved so let's leave it to the experts, doctors and social workers etc. and tell the loudmouth politicians who feed solely on gut issue publicity and don't actually give a damn about who or what they rail about to STFU.

Look, I am not arguing with you but if you are accusing me of a circular argument, then what are you going on about saying "'definitely have not worked for 100 years'."? Repeatedly.

I asked you, what do you suggest or what plan do you have?

I understand you have a personal stake in this and I have said I sympathize with you, several times but, to be belligerent and calling me out when you have no better answer, I think you have to either put up or STFU too.

Like I said, politicians or public servants do not pluck this out of their ass and just say make it so. They are advised by medical practitioners, addiction experts, police and social workers. They made the decision a year or more ago and now were told it was a failure and repeal it.

As I see it, you are a grieving parent looking to blame someone because you could not do anything. I think everyone is looking for a solution and so far, have failed.

Taking you anger out on me is, well, misplaced. The system(s) failed and you failed. Sorry.

Edited by ExFlyer

1 hour ago, herbie said:

But it did work.  Things were better under that plan than the current plan.

It actually is straight forward logic to say "we tried this and things got worse - lets go back to the way it was where thinks were better".  Then you can see if you can come up with something new.

But we sure haven't tried giving a choice between severe punishment and successful rehab tho - and that does sound promising.

• Like 1