Microsoft finds Russian influence operations targeting U.S. election have begun

Microsoft said on Wednesday that Russian online campaigns to influence the upcoming U.S. presidential election kicked into gear over the past 45 days, but at a slower pace than in past elections.

Russia-linked accounts are disseminating divisive content aimed at U.S. audiences, including criticizing American support of Ukraine in its war with Russia, researchers at the tech giant said in a report.

The Russian embassy in Washington did not respond to a request for comment, but the Kremlin said last month it would not meddle in the November U.S. election. It also dismissed U.S. allegations that it orchestrated campaigns to sway the 2016 and 2020 U.S. presidential elections.

While the Russian activity Microsoft observed is not as intense as around the previous elections, it could increase in the coming months, the researchers said.

"Messaging regarding Ukraine - via traditional media and social media - picked up steam over the last two months with a mix of covert and overt campaigns from at least 70 Russia-affiliated activity sets we track," Microsoft said.

The most prolific of such Russian campaigns is linked to Russia's Presidential Administration, they added. Another one is aimed at posting disinformation online in various languages, with posts typically starting with an apparent whistleblower or citizen journalist posting content on a video channel. That content is then covered by a network of websites that include DC Weekly, Miami Chronical and The Intel Drop. 

Of course, Trump's announcement he won't spend a penny on Ukraine means he is Putin's favorite AGAIN. 🤮

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, robosmith said:

Of course, Trump's announcement he won't spend a penny on Ukraine means he is Putin's favorite AGAIN. 🤮

Does it bother you which of the candidates Putin likes?

39 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Does it bother you which of the candidates Putin likes?

It bothers me far more that so many of the MAGA CULT likes Trump, cause they can VOTE.

It does bother me that Putin can and does provide ILLEGAL CAMPAIGN AID for Trump and that he EXPLOITS it GLADLY.

1 hour ago, robosmith said:

It bothers me far more that so many of the MAGA CULT likes Trump, cause they can VOTE.

You don't like that people have the right to vote? How very dicatorial of you.  I'm surprised you don't like putin more, you two have so much in common ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It does bother me that Putin can and does provide ILLEGAL CAMPAIGN AID for Trump and that he EXPLOITS it GLADLY.

Too bad so sad?

It is bad, and sad. Don't you agree that foreigners should not be influencing YOUR elections?

How would you feel if Putin was helping Trudeau?

LOL - dude, you're not canadian so you can be forgiven for not knowing this but do a quick google on chinese interference in Canadian elections and how the prime minister who benefited from it let it happen.

THAT - is election interference. A handful of russian bots spreading stories on social media that everyone knows is bull is NOT really 'helping' anyone win an election.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, robosmith said:

You going to ignore the question first asked to you here or what?

You were asked:

"When did trump announce that? Where is this announcement?"

So... can you answer? Will you answer? Lets see where you are getting this nonsense. Maybe you will be honest enough to admit you got sucked into a leftist talking point that is a lie and you repeated it here not realizing it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, User said:

You going to ignore the question first asked to you here or what?

You were asked:

"When did trump announce that? Where is this announcement?"

So... can you answer? Will you answer? Lets see where you are getting this nonsense. Maybe you will be honest enough to admit you got sucked into a leftist talking point that is a lie and you repeated it here not realizing it?

He announced it to Viktor Orban. You should pay attention to the news.

8 minutes ago, robosmith said:

Trump denies that and only victor orban claims he heard it.  Nobody else claims that - and trump has said many times before and after that he would still support ukraine but that he would end the war. So he didn't "Announce" it at all.

Again - you have to lie to make your point. Trump never said that and has been clear that's not his intent both before and after meeting with the guy.

You should pay more attention to the news. And stop lying to try to make your point.  If you have to lie to make a point you don't have a very good point.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robosmith said:

It is bad, and sad. Don't you agree that foreigners should not be influencing YOUR elections?

How would you feel if Putin was helping Trudeau?

I post my opinions and draw those opinions from what I see.

Live with it.

6 hours ago, robosmith said:

Is this a joke? Just be honest enough to admit you were wrong. Trump made no "announcement." This is second-hand information that Trump and his campaign have not said or confirmed. 

Also, if you listen to Victor Orban, he said Trump has detailed plans to end the war as well. So, even if you want to believe his accounting of any conversations is 100% accurate, it would mean that Trumps notion of not funding Ukraine would only be because he negotiated a peace deal to end the war. 

Either way... this whole thread by you is less than honest. Be Better. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, robosmith said:

Trump said that war would end on day 1 of his presidency. Not that he wouldn't fund it. 

Stop lying you greasy little leftist. 

10 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I post my opinions and draw those opinions from what I see.

Live with it.

Why can't you answer my simple questions. I asked you nothing about the source of your OPINIONS.

We already know how skewed they are by "what you see," because your cognitive dissonance is a really strong FILTER and your sources are PROVEN LIARS. 

6 hours ago, User said:

Is this a joke? Just be honest enough to admit you were wrong. Trump made no "announcement." This is second-hand information that Trump and his campaign have not said or confirmed. 

Also, if you listen to Victor Orban, he said Trump has detailed plans to end the war as well. So, even if you want to believe his accounting of any conversations is 100% accurate, it would mean that Trumps notion of not funding Ukraine would only be because he negotiated a peace deal to end the war. 

Either way... this whole thread by you is less than honest. Be Better. 

Trump has STATED he would end the war in 24 hours. And he's NOT contradicted what Orban attributed to him in any way.

In FACT cutting off funding for Ukraine is an OBVIOUS way to end the war in 24 hours.

Let us know IF he does dispute what Orban said. Until then, I stand by my undisputed claim.

4 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

Trump said that war would end on day 1 of his presidency. Not that he wouldn't fund it. 

Stop lying you greasy little leftist. 

Same for you. Let us know if Trump disputes Orban's attribution.

It is clear that the only way Trump can end the war in 24 hours is SURRENDER to Putin.

30 minutes ago, robosmith said:

Why can't you answer my simple questions. I asked you nothing about the source of your OPINIONS.

We already know how skewed they are by "what you see," because your cognitive dissonance is a really strong FILTER and your sources are PROVEN LIARS. 

Ok. China did get involved in our last election and Trudeau new about it. He's already paying for his stupidity. His own side dislike him now. Shortly after Trump starts his second term, Pixie-Dust will be disposed of.

Isn't it strange how collusion actually looks like a Libbie tactic?

Hillary, Hunter, Brandon...all have had their "collusion" with assorted Russians and Chinese.

Edited by Nationalist

Just now, robosmith said:

Trump has STATED he would end the war in 24 hours. And he's NOT contradicted what Orban attributed to him in any way.

In FACT cutting off funding for Ukraine is an OBVIOUS way to end the war in 24 hours.

Let us know IF he does dispute what Orban said. Until then, I stand by my undisputed claim.

The issue here is that Trump made no such announcement. Your post was not accurate. You could have admitted to simply making a mistake, but you doubled down on it and tried to dishonestly argue that he "announced" it to Orbin to cover for yourself. 

Trump does not have to dispute Orbin for your claim to be wrong here. Be better.