Minorities and polling stations

Aren't we micromanaging here?

Who cares who is manning a polling station so long as they're not a raving lunatic?

And who looks around the room and takes notice of the race of everyone in the room with them?

I think the whole issue reeks of racism. Don't get me wrong, I am not making any accusations.

But come on. If there was any country in the worl I would guess that would be beyond this kind of nonsense I would be this one.

They're human, and that should be good enough.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But mar, don't you get it? They look different and some of them even talk different. :D

"Freakin' immigrants! Come here and steal our country, take everything, run all the elections."

About the only people who might be entitled to make that comment came here quite a few thousand years ago. Course they just got screwed outta the Kelowna Accord so they may not be feeling quite so polite right now.

But mar, don't you get it? They look different and some of them even talk different. :D

"Freakin' immigrants! Come here and steal our country, take everything, run all the elections."

About the only people who might be entitled to make that comment came here quite a few thousand years ago. Course they just got screwed outta the Kelowna Accord so they may not be feeling quite so polite right now.

They were immigrants too (and have no special rights thus, IMO), the only ones with real rights are the buffalos.

My polling station was staffed almost entirely with white christian freaks. Thank god my weed was extra stinky cause they can really kill a buzz.

I wasn't born in Canada, in the UK, but came here when I was 1. One of my great-grandmothers was Bugunda from Rwanda, most of my Dad's family is East Indian from East Africa, and my Mom is British.

I've lived here for 29 years and I'm thoroughly Canadian, played hockey, went camping, lived in Lake Louise as a ski bum, went to university and now work for one, and love this country more than anything.

So Leafless, if you saw my brownish face at the polls, would you see me as an "ethnic" Canadian?

By the way, you are an "ethnic" Canadian too, no one is without ethnicity, mixed or otherwise.

Leafless, you'll never be happy in this country until you learn to love the "ethnics".

Arif

She used to tell me about all these immigrants they would encounter while campaigning and how all of them would just vote Liberal because that's who was in power when they came to Canada

I can relate to that.

When I was new here, some "old-timers" immigrants would explain to me that the Liberals are the "friends" of the immigrants. That the Conservatives hated the immigrants and want to stop them from coming here.

This is somewhat off-topic, but this gives an example how some immigrants are given their "orientation" in adapting to life in Canada.

A handy advice was given to me by a Quebec woman (French origin) who had 4 kids of her own and unemployed: " You have to have children. If you have children you get more money from the government."

mar

You wrote- " Why precisely did you feel uncomfortable? Are you saying merely being in the presence of non-caucasions makes you uncomfortable."

This is exactly the type of reaction I expected and that is what I am complaining about and that avenue is the aspect of SUSPICION.

I think it is relatively common knowledge that ethnic minorties tend to size you up by simply looking at you if you are pro or against ethnic minorties in simple conservsation.

I will not go into detail but have proven this to myself by doing my buisness in in places of high ethnic representation and as a result being treated as not one of the gang simply by just being there.

So if I am casting my vote I don't want to be looked at or presumed as a person who dislikes minorities--- there is simply a potential bias there--real or imagined it is speculative but like I said I proved this to be fact in places of high ethnic representation.

I am personally not biased against ethnic minorties in general but I am against the aspect fractionating Canadian communities into cultural ghettos as this will enforce cultural divisons based on colour and will contribute to bigotry and racism.

Yes, but it would surprise me if, given my area is 80% White, all the workers at the polling stations were non-white. As for volunteers, yes, volunteers which, I believe, are supplied by the local riding associations, always two from two different parties at each table. I won't bet the house on that, but I believe it to be the case. Elections Canada doesn't go searching in bars and shopping malls for volunteers and I don't know how one would even go about approaching them. My mother was once one of those door to door registration people (who get paid, btw) and that was because she worked for an MP.

There's volunteers from each party/riding association at the polling stations. But the people who count the ballots, sign people uop etc. are people off the street (my gf was one of them this time out and she has no political conections whatsoever.)

This is what happens any time you ask a reasonable question is raised such as this one concerning a disproportionate number of ethnic workers in relation to the general population of Canada , you are labelled a bigot.

It wasn't the question that makes you abigot, so much as the fact you view the prescence of ethnic volunteers as a cause for alarm, to the extent that you question whether you'd continue voting.

Also comments like this:

The point of the matter is under the conditions of voting for a prime minister in your country Canada you could or you might feel a certain degree of intimidation or just plain uncomfortable when the staff at the polling station is over represented by ethnic Canadians and you happen to be White especially if you have an ethnic gang type problem in that area.

Which imply that all members of ethnic groups are gang-affiliated and thus untrustworthy, would support the bigot label.

I think it is relatively common knowledge that ethnic minorties tend to size you up by simply looking at you if you are pro or against ethnic minorties in simple conservsation.

Which is exactly what you're doing. Way to go.

Black dog

You wrote-" It wasn't the question that makes you a bigot, so much as the fact you view the prescence of ethnic volunteers as a cause for alarm, to the extent that you'd continue voting."

To label one a bigot you must prove that I am incorrect when I say that the level of normal tolerence has been exceeded by actions and abnormal lifestyles of a higher than normal percentage of their population to make one leary considering irregular motivations. And of course this includes politics to further ones cause to obtain as much as possible out of the system as many of them already have ---high profile cases I might add and nothing to do with ballots.

You have not proven what I said is unreasonable and I don't think you are in any kind of positon legal or otherwise to label any one anything.

You also wrote- " Which imply that all members are gang affiliated and untrustworthy, would support the bigot label."

You quoted the post but did not get it right as I said " in that area" and any reasonable person would not translate that meaning all ethnics or attach the bigot label again with no proof.

You wrote also- " Which is exactly what your doing . Way to go"

No sorry, I am not sizing any ethnic individual by simple conversation.

What I am doing is arriving at my conclusion from first hand information from media reported gang type incidents involving ethnic minorites including first hand reports what is going on in the neighborhood and including ethnic minorties heavily involved in our political and legal system basically to bleed as much as they can out of the system.

I am glad to know BD you think all other members of society other than White are SQUEAKY CLEAN and I want you to know reverse discrimination is alive and well something you seem to know all about.

Leafless, your logic is consistently hard to follow, but I'll give it a shot.

To label one a bigot you must prove that I am incorrect when I say that the level of normal tolerence has been exceeded by actions and abnormal lifestyles of a higher than normal percentage of their population to make one leary considering irregular motivations.

From this I think you are saying that the actions and lifestyles of some members of an ethnic group can be used as the basis for your expectations for other members of that ethnic group. So when you see members of an ethnic group participating in the election, carrying out the responsibilities of the polling stations, shouldn't you also extend that expectation of responsibility to the other members of that ethnic group? I would expect your logic to see this as something you can stereotype people by.

Maybe instead you should see individual people as being responsible for their own individual actions. I don't want people looking at you, seeing a white person, and thinking that your actions and lifestyle represent me, after all.

first hand information from media
:lol::lol::lol:

BubberMiley

You wrote- " I think if I wasn't a white gut myself, reading leafless post would make me leary of them 'considering irregular motivations."

The fact is the country is officially multicultural.

This is what multicuturalism breeds in a country that is encouraged to fractionate and that is interior motivations on how to screw the Whites for self gain concerning their own culture.

Think Quebec as an example except along linguistic lines and what they have accomplished.

When unity and dedication to a country is removed in favour of setting up your own little cultural camps you can expect a dysfunctional country with massive problems and don't worry the winner will take all.

It's called human nature.

BubberMiley

You wrote- " I think if I wasn't a white gut myself, reading leafless post would make me leary of them 'considering irregular motivations."

The fact is the country is officially multicultural.

This is what multicuturalism breeds in a country that is encouraged to fractionate and that is interior motivations on how to screw the Whites for self gain concerning their own culture.

Think Quebec as an example except along linguistic lines and what they have accomplished.

When unity and dedication to a country is removed in favour of setting up your own little cultural camps you can expect a dysfunctional country with massive problems and don't worry the winner will take all.

It's called human nature.

Somewhat agree. This country is so fractured along racial lines that going to different places in cities is like going to a different country.

We like to pretend we are all tolerant and caring, but generally that ends at the edge of White suburbia. I'm tell you I wouldn't as a white person walk into some neighbourhoods even in Calgary which I feel is about as safe as it gets coming originally from T.O.

Argus

You wrote- " Yes, but it would surprise me given my area is 80% White, and all the workers at the polling station are non-white."

This is what happens any time you ask a reasonable question is raised such as this one concerning a disproportionate number of ethnic workers in relation to the general population of Canada , you are labelled a bigot.

The point of the matter is under the conditions of voting for a prime minister in your country Canada you could or you might feel a certain degree of intimidation or just plain uncomfortable when the staff at the polling station is over represented by ethnic Canadians and you happen to be White especially if you have an ethnic gang type problem in that area.

But Argus brings up a good point and that is does anyone know what exactly what is the criteria and qualifications necessary concerning the recruiting of polling station personnel and obviously ethnic representation has a bearing.

This is the most ridiculous argument I have heard on this website yet. For one, how would you have an ethnic gang type problem in an 80% white area ? For two, ethnic gang problems are not ethnic vs. white. They are usually ethnic vs. ethnic. For three, ethnic gang problems quite often are drug related and these people don't even vote.

So what is it you are really saying here Leafless ? For most of my adult life I have lived in areas where white people are the minority. I have never been afraid to vote or had any type of fear or intimidation at a polling station.

Another red-neck poster no doubt, Leafless.....

For two, ethnic gang problems are not ethnic vs. white. They are usually ethnic vs. ethnic. For three, ethnic gang problems quite often are drug related and these people don't even vote.

Tell that ethnic vs. ethnic argument to the family of that girl that got shot in the crossfire between two ethnic gangs in Toronto. Gangs have no place in our country, ethnic or otherwise.

The drug trade hurts everyone, don't kid yourself, you pay for those druggies detoxing in a hospital. Wasting money on trash like that instead of people that need real health care is an insult to all sick people in Canada.

And some of them hate our guts and think we are immoral scum and that all our women are whores, and that Sharia law should be put in place in Canada.

My concern with too many immigrants has nothing to do with how they look or talk and everything to do with the cultural baggage they bring with them. And in certain cases, their determination to hold that baggage close for generations.

And some of them hate our guts and think we are immoral scum and that all our women are whores, and that Sharia law should be put in place in Canada.

And do you have some way of knowing that those are the people that were at Leafless' polling station? Because if you don't, you have no business attributing those beliefs to them.

And do you have some way of knowing that those are the people that were at Leafless' polling station? Because if you don't, you have no business attributing those beliefs to them.

Their communities have done enough to condemn these people and disown them. Until they do, they represent that community.

Not doing anything to stop that behaviour or at least publicly denouncing these people, is just as bad as supporting the policy yourself.

Ethnic minorities don't do enough to eliminate the radicals and freaks from their ranks. It would be in their best interest to have immigration laws that are tougher against these idiots, it would give their presence in Canada a much better image.

Geoffrey, the point is that you don't know who was at Leafless' polling station, what ethnic minority they belonged to, or what individual beliefs they held. I doubt Leafless did, either.

My husband and I are both Canadian, but I am of European descent and he is of East Indian descent. Does that make my presence at a polling station more legitimate than his? When my children go to vote, will the fact that they were born and raised in Canada matter, or will it just be the fact that they have a darker pigment to their skin? Does their skin colour give them less of a stake in Canadian politics? I guarantee you they don't think of themselves as having less say than a white person. The unthinking judgments being expressed here are worthy of the Southern states 50 years ago.

Their communities have done enough to condemn these people and disown them. Until they do, they represent that community.

Not doing anything to stop that behaviour or at least publicly denouncing these people, is just as bad as supporting the policy yourself.

Ethnic minorities don't do enough to eliminate the radicals and freaks from their ranks. It would be in their best interest to have immigration laws that are tougher against these idiots, it would give their presence in Canada a much better image.

"Their communities" are our communities. They are subject to the same laws as the rest of us; whatever ethnic group they belong to has no mandate to police them. I don't see white people being expected to say "we condemn and denounce white people when they commit crimes."

Geoffrey, the point is that you don't know who was at Leafless' polling station, what ethnic minority they belonged to, or what individual beliefs they held. I doubt Leafless did, either.

My husband and I are both Canadian, but I am of European descent and he is of East Indian descent. Does that make my presence at a polling station more legitimate than his? When my children go to vote, will the fact that they were born and raised in Canada matter, or will it just be the fact that they have a darker pigment to their skin? Does their skin colour give them less of a stake in Canadian politics? I guarantee you they don't think of themselves as having less say than a white person. The unthinking judgments being expressed here are worthy of the Southern states 50 years ago.

No no no, I encourage you and your husband to both go and vote and volunteer there and everything. My concern isn't having people of non-majority descent around, they need to be there to make other people in the community feel secure too!! I just feel in democratic processes, those that work at these places ought to make up a cross-section of the community. Argus obviously feels there was a higher rate of ethinic minorities there than exist in his community. This would concern me as well as I'd like to know a) why elections Canada didn't do due diligence in hiring a cross-section of his community, and B) if there was indeed any of this riding assocation crowding (which does happen I'm sorry to say).

I have nothing at all against ethnic minorities or immigrants working at polling stations, as long as its a reasonably accurate portrail of our communities. That way everyone will feel comfortable.

Ethnic minorities don't do enough to eliminate the radicals and freaks from their ranks.

How do you suppose they should do that? Shotgun?

How ridiculous. I made a completely fair comment and you turn it into that.

I meant by exclusion and public condemnation of their activities. These ethnic minorities often have associations and the such. For example, if a unusually high number of minority X is involved in a certain type of crime, I think the X community association or whatever represents that group should come out and say look this is wrong, lets fix this problem, these people aren't what we stand for.

They do this sometimes, but not enough. I don't look at every asian as a gang member, but many people do here, because the community here hasn't really stepped up and said look these people aren't what we represent.

Tougher immigration controls would help too, people with criminal backgrounds should be discluded from being part of Canada. With less criminals in these segments of the population, these ethnic communities would have more "majority" community support and be looked upon much more favourably.

Immigrants and ethnic minorities are easy targets, sadly. This can be prevented though by tougher laws and immigration practices so that these communities are instead an example for the majority segement of the population to look up to. :)

So let me see if I have this right

You went to vote and found to many darkies for your liking working at the place.

You were so intimidated by the darkies that this may prevent you from voting in the future.

This seems to me to be a problem that will work itself out in about a generation or two.