Aboot

So tell me, exactly which province, municipality or street in Canada pronounces "About" as "Aboot" that I hear so much about in the American media?  I've never heard it in my life except in American TV (actually Canadian media reporting on American TV).

In my job I talk to a lot of Americans on the phone.

If the "out" in "about" is not over-emphasized, like in "wow", then they seem to think it sounds like "ooh".

If anyone in Canada says 'aboot' it would be in the maritimes, Newfoundland ect. I hear more Americans pronounce it 'aboot' than Canadians. And I deal with alot of Americans on a daily basis with my job. When I say ABOUT, the know right away who they are dealing with.

Also Canadians say 'aboot' in every South Park episode. It is a nice reversal humour.

If anyone in Canada says 'aboot' it would be in the maritimes, Newfoundland ect. I hear more Americans pronounce it 'aboot' than Canadians. And I deal with alot of Americans on a daily basis with my job. When I say ABOUT, the know right away who they are dealing with.

Also Canadians say 'aboot' in every South Park episode. It is a nice reversal humour.

It is not the maritimer's who pronounce about as aboot. I hail from New Brunswick and that sound more like someone with a cockney English pronunciation, right off the boat. I don't think our Francophone Acadian's pronounce it that was when speaking English.

I was in Florida a few years ago, and they laughed their a**es off every time I spoke! I know I say "eh", but had no idea how often, until I was asked to pick apart the semantics and explain when it was appropriate, how I knew when to say it, etc. But a bigger surprise was when I said "no doubt about it" and had them falling off their chairs laughing and repeating, "Noo doot aboot it!" Thats OK, though, as I smirked everytime I heard "y'all", and its plural, "all y'all".

So it seems that "aboot" is the American's bad attempt at duplicating our Canadian accent.

So if I say "ruff" and "Irok" they might not hear the irregularity and continue to understand it as "roof" and "Iraq". If I mess up the attempt at trying to pronounce "ruff" and "Irok" that might be the parallel of American's trying to pronounce the Canadian "about" and having it come out as "aboot".

So my final question is: Why do we accept it that we pronounce it as "aboot" when we don't (but only as the Americans hear it)? Are we too polite to tell them they are wrong?

Why do we accept it that we pronounce it as "aboot" when we don't (but only as the Americans hear it)?  Are we too polite to tell them they are wrong?

We probably "accept" it because

1))) It's not that big a deal

2))) Can't change people's perceptions

3))) I actually find it amusing, and it can be an easy ice-breaker

Guest American Woman

As a totally unbiased innocent bystander (I need an angelic emoticon here), I must say that Canadians do indeed say "oot" and "aboot." My boyfriend lives in Canada, born and raised in the Toronto area, and I always tease him about it. Of course he gives me a hard time about my "accent," too (even though I don't have one. Heh). But it's not an insult when we point it out and chuckle. It's cuuuute when you say things like "no doubt about it." B)

As a totally unbiased innocent bystander (I need an angelic emoticon here), I must say that Canadians do indeed say "oot" and "aboot." My boyfriend lives in Canada, born and raised in the Toronto area, and I always tease him about it. Of course he gives me a hard time about my "accent," too (even though I don't have one. Heh). But it's not an insult when we point it out and chuckle. It's cuuuute when you say things like "no doubt about it."  B)

I'm from BC, so I say "abowt" but now live in Toronto (for the past 20 years) and I haven't ever heard the "aboot". Maybe it's what Americans hear just like the way Canadians hear Americans say "ruff","Irok" and "vee-H-icle".

I'd be nice to hear an audio recording of you and your boyfriend say "out and about" and make the comparison. I'm guessing that I still won't be able the hear his "aboot" when you can.

(Some English accent pronouce the letter "H" as the letter "Hache" with a really hard breath out instead of silent.)

• 2 weeks later...
As a totally unbiased innocent bystander (I need an angelic emoticon here), I must say that Canadians do indeed say "oot" and "aboot." My boyfriend lives in Canada, born and raised in the Toronto area, and I always tease him about it. Of course he gives me a hard time about my "accent," too (even though I don't have one. Heh). But it's not an insult when we point it out and chuckle. It's cuuuute when you say things like "no doubt about it." B)

There must be something to this because when they identify someone as Canadian they usually are, Eh?

The one I have trouble with is this stereotype of saying "Eh" all the time, Eh?

I never say "Eh" and neither does anyone I know, Eh?

They must be teasing, Eh?

Good day, Eh?

Waitaminnut... why is that speech to text thingy putting "Eh" all over the place, Eh? Arrrghh... there it goes again, Eh? [Narrator: Murray B. runs screaming from his keyboard yelling something about hay.]

My Son-in Law is a police officer in Illinois and, when we go visit, I go out with him as a "ride-along " during his work time. As soon as the other Police Officers see me at the precinct...which I call the police station...

I get the usual jokes about "Are you going ooot and aboot to-day, eh?'' And...they all want to hear me say roof.

However, after a visit up here to Canada my son-in-law is using "eh" like a real Canadian! He says it takes about two weeks to "get back to normal" :D

just as an aside, I had to purchase an article at a store in Chicago and the cashier, noting I was from Canada,

asked me..seriously..."does it stay dark most of the time in Canada?" She honestly believed that our time was much different than that in Illinois. :huh:

My Son-in Law is a police officer in Illinois and, when we go visit, I go out with him as a "ride-along " during his work time. As soon as the other Police Officers see me at the precinct...which I call the police station...

I get the usual jokes about "Are you going ooot and aboot to-day, eh?'' And...they all want to hear me say roof.

However, after a visit up here to Canada my son-in-law is using "eh" like a real Canadian! He says it takes about two weeks to "get back to normal" :D

just as an aside, I had to purchase an article at a store in Chicago and the cashier, noting I was from Canada,

asked me..seriously..."does it stay dark most of the time in Canada?" She honestly believed that our time was much different than that in Illinois. :huh:

HAHAHA, i dunno what it is about you canucks, but i havent met an American yet who didnt love it when a canuck through out the aboot or the "eh". I wouldnt worry about it so much, down here in dixie we have words like aint and yonder that make no sense at all. They are just a part of the culture. Theres also different ways of saying "hill" if your from Alabama it sounds like "hell" if your from tennessee it sounds more like "heel"

HAHAHA, i dunno what it is about you canucks, but i havent met an American yet who didnt love it when a canuck through out the aboot or the "eh". I wouldnt worry about it so much, down here in dixie we have words like aint and yonder that make no sense at all. They are just a part of the culture.

What state do you live in?

HAHAHA, i dunno what it is about you canucks, but i havent met an American yet who didnt love it when a canuck through out the aboot or the "eh". I wouldnt worry about it so much, down here in dixie we have words like aint and yonder that make no sense at all. They are just a part of the culture.

North Carolina.

*I'm asking because I thought you said you lived in Michigan but I never heard people associate dixie with Michigan.

*I'm asking because I thought you said you lived in Michigan but I never heard people associate dixie with Michigan.

I grew up in Michigan i moved to North Carolina after my enlistment was up with the Marine Corps because i loved the weather down there.

North Carolina.

This is going to sound funny but I really like North Carolina...when I was a kid I used to be involved in tidal study and we'd go to the Maritimes in Canada and the Outer Banks down there...North Carolina State Police ticketed me for speeding last time I was there...I lied and said I forgot the mileage signs weren't in kilos... :P

North Carolina.

This is going to sound funny but I really like North Carolina...when I was a kid I used to be involved in tidal study and we'd go to the Maritimes in Canada and the Outer Banks down there...North Carolina State Police ticketed me for speeding last time I was there...I lied and said I forgot the mileage signs weren't in kilos... :P

i have a cottage in Kill devil Hills (which is in the outer banks) Actually i should clarify that statment, my Family owns a cottage in KDH. I am not the sole-owner. Although ive done more work to it/clean up after hurricaines.

I love it down there...haven't been there in awhile though. People are really nice and I met lots of people who do business in Canada even in Montreal.

Nice place...I REALLY liked the Outer Banks even though I haven't done tidal study in years.

Spent some time in South Carolina and I picked up a southern accent.... And I really liked "Y'all come back, now." And...I had some of the folks there ending sentences with..."eh." :D

Southern accent with a touch of Canadiana... the South Carolinians I met were wonderful and such a sense of humour. Had a great time.

• 3 weeks later...
So tell me, exactly which province, municipality or street in Canada pronounces "About" as "Aboot" that I hear so much about in the American media? I've never heard it in my life except in American TV (actually Canadian media reporting on American TV).

I don't understand it either. I don't say aboot and I don't know any Canadians who pronounce it that way.

I guess people hear things different ways. :huh:

I pronounce harrass as "haRASS", but David Letterman pronounces it as Harris.

Go figure.