Harper vows to cut GST to 5%

shoop

The Conservatives keep rolling out there platform with smart, saavy policies that will sell well to the persuadables in Ontario who will decide the election.

Random CBC Link

Tough to fight this one. A truly progressive tax cut that will help all Canadians.

Goodale's claims that this cut will help higher income Canadians more than lower income Canadians is sad and patently false when you look at the savings as a percentage of disposable income.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Conservatives keep rolling out there platform with

Looks like CPC has completely blown it once again. In the November 22, 2005, issue of the Vancouver Sun, reporter Peter O'Neil published an economist's opinion on the proposed 2% cut in the GST. The economist is Dr. Herb Grubel (PhD in Economics) of the Fraser Institute. Grubel was a Reform MP in the 90's. Grubel was Reform's first Finance critic in 1993 and 1994, was co-critic along with Stephen Harper in 1995, and was again sole Finance critic in 1996 and 1997.

To quote Grubel, "Cutting the GST rather than business or personal income taxes may be good politics but it is definitely very bad economics." Grubel said numerous studies have shown business and personal income taxes are three times more damaging to the economy than the GST in terms of acting as a disincentive for Canada's workforce.

Looks like Harper doesn't understand rudimentary economics or even worse, understands them but chooses not to follow them. No wonder Grubel, and not Harper, was Finance critic when both of them were in the Reform Party. Grubel is a sound financial conservative and Senior Fellow at the Fraser Institute. Even a right wing think tank like the Fraser has problems with Harper's take on economic issues. Harper's expertise appears to be more in the realm of social conservatism. Alas for Harper, there aren't enough Bible thumpers in all of Canada to ever get him elected.

:lol:

Look, we Canadians are WAY overtaxed, even under the Liberals with all the waste and corruption they get monsterous surpluses. We need all kinds of taxes reduced, not just business or personal. I find it interesting that norman is willing to use numbers from conservative sources when it suits his purposes, but the rest of the time conservatives are homophobes. :lol:

conservatives are homophobes.

This is a true statement :D

A two percent cut in GST is hilarious... but wait its only 1% now and another 1% ohhhhhhh sometime... What does that equal out to the consumer? What impact will it have on our infrastructure (4. what billion?)

No thanks Stephen.

Hmmm, the Liberal mini-budget forecasted five years into the future but when the CPC does it it equals "ohhhh sometime"? :unsure:

No thanks for a progressive tax cut that will help the average Canadian family more than Martin's buddies on Bay street? What a party of the people you have there.

A two percent cut in GST is hilarious... but wait its only 1% now and another 1% ohhhhhhh sometime... What does that equal out to the consumer?  What impact will it have on our infrastructure (4. what billion?)

No thanks Stephen.

Hmmm, the Liberal mini-budget forecasted five years into the future but when the CPC does it it equals "ohhhh sometime"?  :unsure:

No thanks for a progressive tax cut that will help the average Canadian family more than Martin's buddies on Bay street? What a party of the people you have there.

A two percent cut in GST is hilarious... but wait its only 1% now and another 1% ohhhhhhh sometime... What does that equal out to the consumer?  What impact will it have on our infrastructure (4. what billion?)

No thanks Stephen.

yes.. the liberals are all about big business... not like the CPC :rolleyes:

it must be the NDP then.... :blink:

Look, we Canadians are WAY overtaxed, even under the Liberals with all the waste and corruption they get monsterous surpluses.  We need all kinds of taxes reduced, not just business or personal.  I find it interesting that norman is willing to use numbers from conservative sources when it suits his purposes, but the rest of the time conservatives are homophobes. :lol:

Absolute garbage, thats painting every conservative with a broad brush, and certainly being against SSM does not equate to being a 'homophobe'. Another word coined to stifle dissent and opinion.

It is a way for the Conservatives to prove they are for working families. Those 'persuadable' Ontario voters who will determine the next PM.

PS. Could the Liberals *please* have Marc Garneau speak more often about how sponsorship is a thing of the past... :lol:

it must be the NDP then....  :blink:

It is true that cutting corporate and income taxes would be of more benefit to the economy, but cutting corporate taxes is a pretty hard sell in this country.

However, cutting taxes is still better than not cutting.

I imagine those on this board criticizing this move now, must have applauded Mulroney for bringing us the GST in the first place. :)

I agree with this cut, but also agreed with the GST in the first place. The GST replaced the MST which gave an unfair advantage to imported goods over goods manufactured in Canada.

Now that the fiscal situation is under control let's take the time to create more wealth in Canada. This wealth cration will lead to more taxes being available for funding social programs.

However, cutting taxes is still better than not cutting.

I imagine those on this board criticizing this move now, must have applauded Mulroney for bringing us the GST in the first place. :)

It is a way for the Conservatives to prove they are for working families. Those 'persuadable' Ontario voters who will determine the next PM.

PS. Could the Liberals *please* have Marc Garneau speak more often about how sponsorship is a thing of the past... :lol:

it must be the NDP then....  :blink:

Only if Harper can get back on his "answer to the media" about plans for SSM and other pressing social issues that the CPC will champion! :D

I think its a good move, it reduces the tax on just about everything all people buy, including gasoline, heat, hydro etc. Heck the average house price in the GTA area just went down by what, $2,000.00 ? The liberals can't do it because they won't be believe, they promised it before.

Ahhh, but there is a difference Shakey. Harper was actually "answering a question", got his views out there and now it is a done issue for the rest of the campaign. Garneau made a tough fight in his riding that much tougher and hurt the Liberals province-wide in Québec.

The other pressing social issues line is soooo 2004. Haven't you read the memo, the Liberals are fighting this campaign as the party best suited to deal with the unity issue. Until they start losing really badly.... :lol:

Only if Harper can get back on his "answer to the media"  about plans for SSM and other pressing social issues that the CPC will champion! :D

...I find it interesting that norman is willing to use numbers from conservative sources when it suits his purposes...

Would your response have been more in acceptance if he had cited a Liberal or an NDP source? It was very appropriate to cite a source the conservatives themselves consider to be credible. It may be seldom, but very notable when a think tank or a lobby group one normally disagrees with has some points one can agree with.

What I find more interesting is where the Liberals were criticized of buying votes, the Conservatives are now doing the same. Such habit is not new to Harper.

Tough to fight this one. A truly progressive tax cut that will help all Canadians.
This has to be the dumbest thing that Conservatives have done yet. I had already decided that I was going not going to let my opinions on SSM affect my vote but that was based on the idea that the Conservatives had sensible economic policies. Cutting the GST and raising income taxes (or at least not lowering them) is bad economic policy and it completely undermines the Conservative credibility on the economic front.

There's something to be said for personal imcome taxes above those of changes to the GST. It allows more savings now. In the end though both are beneficial in terms of reducing the impact of taxation on the population. Is this difference really going to be made into an election issue? There is extra money flowing in to Ottawa and either government would aim to give some of it back. Both are generally tax-cuts for people, asnd will generally effect the same people in similar ways. I don't find the end-result distribution differences of who the tax cuts will benefit to be overly important.

I'm starting to wonder why Harper didn't come out and say they were going to scrap GST altogether. THat would have been effective in political gains. I don't think many people are going to care about a reduction of 2%. I read one article that stated 2% GST = 4.5billion in revenue. I think if they said they were cutting the whole program the significance of it would be better seen.

I wonder how concered Canadians in general are about tax-cuts anyway. Are we really that badly done by?

...I find it interesting that norman is willing to use numbers from conservative sources when it suits his purposes...

Would your response have been more in acceptance if he had cited a Liberal or an NDP source? It was very appropriate to cite a source the conservatives themselves consider to be credible. It may be seldom, but very notable when a think tank or a lobby group one normally disagrees with has some points one can agree with.

What I find more interesting is where the Liberals were criticized of buying votes, the Conservatives are now doing the same. Such habit is not new to Harper.

Thank you Daniel for explaining precisely why I used a financially conservative economist as my source. My comment would have been discounted had I used a Liberal or NDP source. As is, the Harper supporters on this site have yet to provide a single sound, economic reason to refute Dr. Grubel's point that a reduction in personal and business taxes is far more stimulatory to Canada's economoy than a 2% reduction in the GST.

But perhaps, as you point out, Harper believes this will buy him a few votes. I think it will buy him a view votes but only among those with no appreciation of what drives an economy. It must be especially galling to CPC supporters to have Canada leading all G-8 nations in economic growth then trying to tout an econmoic lightweight like Harper as someone who will stimulate the economy by a 2% cut in the GST. He should stick to what he knows best...social conservatism and intolerance.

I'm trying to decide if this GST announcement is another policy-on-the-fly that Stockwell Day was so notorious of doing.

If we give Harper the benefit of the doubt, that means the Conservatives must have a whole bunch of policies they are not releasing yet. So why this one and why now or why aren't they releasing their entire policy book?

Thank you Daniel for explaining precisely why I used a financially conservative economist as my source. My comment would have been discounted had I used a Liberal or NDP source. As is, the Harper supporters on this site have yet to provide a single sound, economic reason to refute Dr. Grubel's point that a reduction in personal and business taxes is far more stimulatory to Canada's economoy than a 2% reduction in the GST.

But perhaps, as you point out, Harper believes this will buy him a few votes. I think it will buy him a view votes but only among those with no appreciation of what drives an economy. It must be especially galling to CPC supporters to have Canada leading all G-8 nations in economic growth then trying to tout an econmoic lightweight like Harper as someone who will stimulate the economy by a 2% cut in the GST. He should stick to what he knows best...social conservatism and intolerance.

Campaigning on tax cuts hasn't seemed to helped the Conservatives. And with the financial state of this country's social programs as bad as it has been since the 1995 cuts, I wonder how this will turn out in five years.

Listening to these silly liberals who now pretend to be semi-economist is quite entertaining.

Was it not the Liberal Party that wanted to do away with the GST in 1993?

I guess that was a promise made, promise kept.

Pay no attentions to the Liberals on this site. They have nothing to run on and everything to run away from.

So there only hope is to distracted and critize and hope that the Ontario voters are fooled once again.

Harper Tax Proposal Wrong for Canadians

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper today promised to cut the GST to 5 percent over 5 years.

The Liberal government, along with many leading economists and academics, believes that this approach to tax relief is the wrong one for Canadians.

Our government is committed to cutting personal income taxes – particularly for lower and middle-income Canadians. We would rather see Canadians keep more of their pay-cheques than help the wealthiest save on luxury items.

“I believe very strongly that Canadians deserve to keep more of their paycheque,” Prime Minister Paul Martin said in a scrum today. He went on to explain that personal income tax cuts are fairer and more progressive, and as such would continue to be a focus for the Liberal government.

Personal income tax cuts targeted at average Canadians are not only more progressive, they also provide Canadians with more choice. With their savings, they can buy consumer goods, but they also have more money in their pockets to pay their rent or their mortgage, to save for the future, for their children’s education, or for their retirement.

The Liberal government is truly committed to responsible fiscal management, and our record proves it. We have posted eight consecutive balanced budgets – the longest string in our country’s history – and we expect to balance the budget this year and in each of the next five years.................

http://www.liberal.ca/news_e.aspx?id=1115

Makes sense to me?