Dumb Remark of the Day

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc Garneau is entering politics?

I guess it makes sense. After all, he already has experience at being shuttled about at great expense performing useless rah-rah flag-waving on the taxpayers' dime.

Good luck, Marc.

-k

I can see his point... we should be picking a Gov't based on policies going forward, visions for where we want the country to go to and move forward... not on what a small group of 10 or so greedy people did to take advantage of a situation.

I hope Harper keeps on his current tact and continues to scream about Adscam, its only hurting him, there are many, many more issues that are more important to most Canadians.

I hope Harper keeps on his current tact and continues to scream about Adscam, its only hurting him, there are many, many more issues that are more important to most Canadians.

Aren't you forgetting that Harper did raise a far more important issue on the very first day of the campaign? He said that he'd revisit bill C-38. Yes, trying once again to prevent lesbians from marrying is an even more important issue to Harper than Adscam. :lol:

Gilles Duceppe expressed surprise that Harper chose this as his first issue in the campaign and said, with respect to Harper's plan, "I will oppose it with all my strength." Quebec favours SSM more than any other province in Canada. Second comes British Columbia. CPC candidates in those two provinces can thank Harper for campaigning on taking away the rights of lesbians to marry. No wonder CPC is projected to win zero seats in Quebec and lose up to half of their BC seats. Yesterday the unfortunate CPC candidate in Vancouver Centre distanced himself from Harper's remarks, Harper has an amazing capacity to stagger from stepping in cowpies to sinking in quicksand.

Gilles Duceppe perpetuated the lie. Harper was responding to a question, period.

Harper got the issue out of the way, except for diehard hacks like normanchateau.

C'est la vie. Jane Taber in the Globe gave him a thumbs up on handling the issue. Get it out of the way earlier and move on to other things, like cutting the GST.

Gilles Duceppe expressed surprise that Harper chose this as his first issue in the campaign

we should be picking a Gov't based on policies going forward, visions for where we want the country to go to and move forward... not on what a small group of 10 or so greedy people did to take advantage of a situation

The PMO has more than ten people in it.......

Actually, we should be picking a gov. based on past performance, and the Liberals have to be judged for what they have done and covered up. Geez, when you hire an employee you look at their resume, you don't just ask them for their 'visions for where we want the company to go and move forward'.

“I don’t believe that is the path to follow,” Martin said in response to Harper’s plan. “Canadians have been down this road before. They’ve heard this story.”
Paul Martin, 1 December 2005 (referring to a Tory proposal to cut the GST)

Ottawa Sun

I don't think that's a dumb quote. We really should have a federal poll about what Canadians think...and ask it alongside of a reduction of government services (which would probably happen).

It's like when the Chinese president was here a few months ago. Everyone was taking these poll questions "has China done enough for human rights?" or "should we not trade with China if their human rights cases do not improve," etc.

What about, "if all your good were made here by expensive unions but the prices would go up and there would be no more Dollarama shopping...but China's human rights abuses would go down would you support not trading with China?"

That is a much more difficult question for a lot of people to answer (and, I think, it would require more analysis before I took a plunge at a guess...)

I really think you guys would be shocked to learn that Adscam isn't top of mind for mot voters... Preserving our Health Care, Social Infrastructure, creating jobs and our strong economy is... and THAT is why Harper has a slim chance of winning the big tostada!

I'll buy that...

Then answer me this...Why has the last poll got the Liberals and Conservatives tied at 31%.

I really think you guys would be shocked to learn that Adscam isn't top of mind for mot voters... Preserving our Health Care, Social Infrastructure, creating jobs and our strong economy is... and THAT is why Harper has a slim chance of winning the big tostada!

I beg to differ, most Canadians don't want their hard earned dollars wasted and can put 2 and 2 together. If an administration has all kinds of corruption and waste, there won't be as much hard earned cash around for Health Care, Social Infrastructure, etc.

Your connection is a little lacking. Between creating jobs, strengthening our economy and adscam there is a lot to like in the Conservatives. That is why they are even with the Liberals in the last Ipsos-Reid poll. This translates to the following seat projections.

CPC = 112

Liberal = 86

BQ = 67

ND = 42

Other = 1

Source. H & K Election predictor.

I don't think that's a dumb quote.  We really should have a federal poll about what Canadians think...and ask it alongside of a reduction of government services (which would probably happen).

These are fair comments, tml. You are right that a good debate about government services is deserved.

But that's not what Martin said.

Martin talked about going down a road. It's dumb (and arrogant) because it refers to a Liberal road, as if that's the only road that exists. The Liberals promised eliminating the GST and then revised their promise.

The kicker for dumbness though is: "(Canadians) have heard this story before." Yes, they did. From Liberals.

----

Shoop, the BQ will not win 67 seats in Quebec. Full stop.

I don't think that's a dumb quote.  We really should have a federal poll about what Canadians think...and ask it alongside of a reduction of government services (which would probably happen).

These are fair comments, tml. You are right that a good debate about government services is deserved.

But that's not what Martin said.

Martin talked about going down a road. It's dumb (and arrogant) because it refers to a Liberal road, as if that's the only road that exists. The Liberals promised eliminating the GST and then revised their promise.

The kicker for dumbness though is: "(Canadians) have heard this story before." Yes, they did. From Liberals.

----

Shoop, the BQ will not win 67 seats in Quebec. Full stop.

Having read the quote again I agree. I have not endorsed a candidate that I will vote for yet. But I think it should be noted that if the GST is 5%, government services will decline.

I agree with you also about the Quebec seat projection but I would guess Shoop got that from another website. 67 is a serious boost for the Bloc...I would say 60 at most.

"We favour a polite, clear, neighbourly warning that Canada is prepared to impose export duties on oil and gas exports to the United States," he said.

When pressed on the details, Mr. Layton denied imposing such fines would hurt Canada's oil and gas sector.

"The fact is the kind of surcharge that we are talking about here would not hurt Canada's energy companies. That's not really a credible claim because Canada provides an enormous percentage of the flow of oil and gas to the United States and the fact of the matter is we would simply be suggesting the Americans that we will be put into such a position to have to add such a charge to recover the $5-billion if they're not willing to play fair with Canada," he said.

Jack Layton, 3 December 2005

G & M

"I think any family in that kind of straits that could afford to look for those options would pay for those options. ... Nobody's supposed to sit in a health-care line and suffer, that's not our ideal here," Harper said, according to a transcript.

That prompted Layton to tell the same station he would not do likewise. "I can understand the choices that people are having to make ... these are real human decisions," he said, noting his wife, Olivia Chow, recently battled cancer. "We support the public system. We do not support the idea personally of buying our way to the front of the line," he told reporters.

Jack Layton, December 04,2005.

Toronto Star

Jack Layton would rather his wife wait in line for health care rather than do something for her immediately.How many have lost love ones already waiting ....only to die.

Yes, I did get the 67 number from another site but 60 is entirely realistic. Under the predictions I presented that still leaves the Liberals under 100 MPs nationally.

I agree with you also about the Quebec seat projection but I would guess Shoop got that from another website.  67 is a serious boost for the Bloc...I would say 60 at most.

Your connection is a little lacking. Between creating jobs, strengthening our economy and adscam there is a lot to like in the Conservatives. That is why they are even with the Liberals in the last Ipsos-Reid poll. This translates to the following seat projections.

CPC = 112

Liberal = 86

BQ = 67

ND = 42

Other = 1

I vote for this as the dumbest forecast but then again it is posted by the dumbest person so to be expected I suppose.

What an absolute braindead moron to post something like that.

As I have siad you people really need to get outside and stop listening to yourselves.

Are you completely nuts!!!

You just posted a poll topic saying that the Liberals would get over 150 seats (at a minimum).

If 150 is realistic than 86 even moreso.