Harper calls for special prosecutor to watch gov't

Kiraly

Looks like the Conservatives will be revealing their platform issue by issue again.

Should be interesting to hear how the Liberals respond to this one.

CTV Link

Snippett:

Harper said under his leadership, an arm's length, independent office of the Director of Public Prosecutions will be put in place to "take over responsibility for all federal criminal prosecutions."

"There will be a new code on Parliament Hill: bend the rules, you will be punished. Break the law, you will be charged. Abuse the public trust, you will go to prison," he said.

Yet another good move by Harper. Making another positive statement about what his government will do.

Looks like the Conservatives will be revealing their platform issue by issue again.

Should be interesting to hear how the Liberals respond to this one.

Before calling it a good move, examine what it would replace and where the authority for any action would come from.

It would replace political interference and the authority would come from Parliment. :rolleyes:

And no, its not an indictment of the RCMP.

If anything it would bolster their authority when working on politically charged cases.

Before calling it a good move, examine what it would replace and where the authority for any action would come from.

It would replace political interference and the authority would come from Parliment. :rolleyes:

And no, its not an indictment of the RCMP.

If anything it would bolster their authority when working on politically charged cases.

It's probably not a bad idea, but I'd have to read more about it.

Public prosecutors wherever they they exist, certainly in France and the USA become politically motivated. The very method of appointment makes them so. There would never be an "arms length" public prosecutor.

By take their authority from Parliament, does that mean they would be an instrument of Parliament? The present system provides for a method that is totally free of political input and free to investigate and charge for any offense.

The present system is weak and ineffective. The means of appointing investigators and the reporting structure requires further study. It will fascinating how the dismissive the Liberals are of this idea and how useless the media is in pursuing it with them.

The Liberals inaction in tightening up investigations into questionable ethics and practices would suggest that if they can skate through Adscam and this election then it's business as usual. I don't thimk Canadians are prepared to accept that.

Public prosecutors wherever they they exist, certainly in France and the USA become politically motivated. The very method of appointment makes them so. There would never be an "arms length" public prosecutor.

By take their authority from Parliament, does that mean they would be an instrument of Parliament? The present system provides for a method that is totally free of political input and free to investigate and charge for any offense.

Yeah, remember Kenneth Starr. What a joke he was. And how many millions did he cost taxpayers? Starr was another religious zealot who overstepped his bounds in his holy quest to bring down the President. Is that what we want in Canada?

Starr's mandate was to investigate the Whitewater matter. Yet, there is barely one word about Whitewater in the 445 page report. Furthermore, in dismissing the Hubbell indictment, a federal judge ruled that Starr's efforts to expand his own jurisdiction were legally invalid.

http://www.ishipress.com/bullshit.htm

As I stated elsewhere on this board, the CBC is the only news outlet that used this angle on the story. Other outlets mentioned it, but they gave the idea the majority of the time instead of immediately attacking the Conservatives as a knee-jerk response.

I think that Harper should probably discussed this with Mackay first huh.... 

I think this has actually backfired on them, shows them as being not in touch within their own party...

Kiraly

You wrote- " Harper calls for special prosecutor to watch government."

Looks like good guys can't win and according to local media looks like Quebec already rejected Harper's plan since the federal government would infringe on areas of provincial jurisdiction-particularly in Quebec.

Peter MacKay could use some of that duct tape he talked earlier about silencing Mr.Clyne when he said "There's np way that this office, set up after the fact, would have anything to do with the sponsership program" he said adding it would not be able to prosecute future sponsership programs either. " It wouldn't it's not their role."

Jack Layton called Mr. Harper's proposal " worrisome" because it appears to underminethe competence of the RCMP and other law inforcement agencies.

Sorry, my bad for that. I think I am doing ok.  :lol:

CBC is a particular axe to grind of mine, just because it is so blatantly biased. Such is life...

Shoop... you are kinda predictable and bitter lately.  Hope everything is ok.

That's alright Shoop, the CBC has become the Conservative Bashing Corporation and it's good to hear that at least some of us can see it. And most lefties are sounding awfully shrill, have you noticed? Nothing like an election to get people's knickers bunched up.

From the Conservative Party web site:

Snipett:

- The Director will be an independent, qualified prosecutor chosen in consultation with other parties in Parliament;

- The office of the Director will be responsible for all federal prosecutions;

- Once the RCMP investigates findings of the Auditor General, the Ethics Commissioner or other officers of Parliament, it will be the impartial Director who decides on prosecution;

I'm not an expert, but from what I can see it clearly states that the Director will be responsbile for federal prosecutions.

I'm also not sure how it undermines the RCMP.

I'm sure there will be more discussion on this issue in the coming days.

Dear Kiraly,

I'm also not sure how it undermines the RCMP.
Any 'prosecution' done, federally, involves the RCMP to investigate, and if needed arrest the lawbreaker and bring them to trial. This proposal seems to take the 'wrongdoer' out of the hands of the RCMP on the way to court. I would actually say that it undermines the Attorney General more than the RCMP, but, it's a 'white elephant' anyway.
To ensure complete transparency, the only way for the Attorney General or Deputy Attorney General to overrule the Director would be by means of a public written notice.
While this would be a nuisance for the AG, the 'Director of Public Prosecutions' cannot replace the law, the Crown or the courts lest we have a police state.

Dear Thelonious,

The proposed role for the special prosecutor would be to take the place of parliament in deciding when certain cases are referred to the parliament.

Nice use of 'police state', are you trying to say the Conservatives are seriously interested in creating a police state? Try staying with the facts and keeping the histrionics to a minimum.

Any 'prosecution' done, federally, involves the RCMP to investigate, and if needed arrest the lawbreaker and bring them to trial.

While this would be a nuisance for the AG, the 'Director of Public Prosecutions' cannot replace the law, the Crown or the courts lest we have a police state.