Was the Liberal Party a Criminal Organization?

I think the Liberals are in trouble. The CPC has got to respond to the Liberals negative stuff, and they will.
I think it is quite likely that Liberal support will collapse as we get closer to the vote (I know of a number of life long Liberals that are leaning CPC now). What Harper needs to do:

1) Stick to the facts: the track record of the Liberals is bad enough that the Conservative do not need to use exaggerations or hyperbole to attack them. A more moderate tack will be noticed by the public. Especially in the face of extreme attack ads on the part of the Liberals.

2) Be nice to Jack: Harper could get some real mileage by musing about co-operating with the NDP in a minority situation on some issues. This would encourage a lot of left wing voters to vote NDP instead of Liberal. It would also help disarm the 'scary' image that the Libs want to get out there.

3) Talk Minority: Harper should play it safe and not talk about a possible majority even if the polls turn his way. Talk minority, talk co-operation with other parties, talk opportunity to test drive a conservative gov't without being committed to four years of it.

And aside from Gagaliano's connection to organized crime (I notice he never threatened to sue the NY Daily News) we have his pal Guiseppe (big Joe) Morselli whose car was blown up, and, what was the third guy, who asked for police protection after an argument with Guiseppe? Protection from what?

Daniel Dezainde, DG of the LPCQ:

A former director general of the Liberal party's Quebec wing says he requested police protection last month before testifying before the sponsorship inquiry.
CBC

Harper either meant the LPCQ was a criminal organization or the mob was involved with the LPCQ or both. At this point, I don't know but Harper's comment is far from unreasonable. The RCMP at present is conducting an investigation. There is $40 million unaccounted for.

Andrew Coyne is worth reading, and takes a balanced tone:

None of this is enough to justify Mr. Harper's specific charge of mob involvement. He will have to back up the accusation in the course of the campaign, or withdraw it.

I am not indignant, Argus. I am amused: amused at the total incompetence of Harper whp has not learned anything from his exposure to people after being tucked away in anoffice dreaming of the neo-lib (and con) resurgence.

This is who will lead you to the promised land!

Even if the last group were corrupt, which was later proven to be untrue, we still voted them out on even a hint that it was true BUT you Liberals hid your faces like criminals and say "I'm going to vote Liberal". Well keep voting for criminals. If you hate Canada, vote Liberal!!!

This has NOTHING to do with where I stand politically but it has to do with the performance of the political parties.

I can't really see Canada allowing Ex Reform Party head to become Prime Minister.

Wow some people have very short memories.      Need i remind you CP lovers that the last Conservative Gov't was the most corrupt in Canadian history.  How many mebers went to jail?

There were numerous allegations, but none were ever substantiated, and not even the worst allegations approached what we know to have been regular behaviour by the Liberal Party. The Tories were angels compared to the Liberals.

And to repeat; sponsorship is not atyipcal of the way the Liberals operated. If the tories get in and do forensic audits they'll find dozens and dozens of sponsorship scandals as the Liberals dished out the money to their friends and supporters and took in kickbacks in exchange.

Today's Liberal government is far more vulnerable to accusations of patronage and corruption than Mulroney's government ever was, and yes, he was cleared of corruption charges. The problem with Mulroney was that he was so disliked, even if Mulroney walked on water, he'd be accused of not being able to swim.

Not only that, the CPC party today, is not the same party, nor are any of the people the same.

Even if the last group were corrupt, which was later proven to be untrue, we still voted them out on even a hint that it was true BUT you Liberals hid your faces like criminals and say "I'm going to vote Liberal". Well keep voting for criminals. If you hate Canada, vote Liberal!!!

This has NOTHING to do with where I stand politically but it has to do with the performance of the political parties.

I can't really see Canada allowing Ex Reform Party head to become Prime Minister.

That is becaause you are from Ontario and for some reason you folks believe you have been given the devine right to determine how and who runs this Country. The worm has turned ... get used to it.

That is becaause you are from Ontario and for some reason you folks believe you have been given the devine right to determine how and who runs this Country. The worm has turned ... get used to it.

We can hope