Are Canadians losing more and more freedom through regional district governments

I read through the minutes of a meeting of Committee of the Whole of the Alberni Clayoquot Regional District held on March 3, 2021 on the west coast of Vancouver Island and was somewhat taken aback by the submissions by many of the bureaucrats and political appointees to the meeting.   If you read through their comments you will understand what I mean.  They seem to be obsessed with banning the public from camping or even visiting their area and communities.  Read the minutes from the Mar. 3, 2021 COW meeting and notice the input from many of the bureaucrats.

mar_3_cow_minutes.pdf (acrd.bc.ca)

Notice one of the issues raised by Toquaht First Nation – Member of Council (and ACRD Director) Kirsten Johnsen

was "have outsiders leave our land".    Of course our land refers to so-called traditional territories which mean all land in their area.  This is not Indian Reserve but is the areas of crown land.

Another submission was from the Tofino district fire chief.  He said "Issued over 600 tickets for vehicles being used as accommodation"   Apparently if you visit the west coast, specifically Tofino, don't think you can sleep in your vehicle anywhere.   If they catch you, you could receive a ticket and last information was it is a $160 fine.  When visiting the area bring lots of money.

They have apparently banned camping in forests on the west coast outside designated private campgrounds such as in the Tofino area, which charge between $55  and $90 a night for a campsite.  No camping around any wilderness area off logging roads or around the wilderness lakes like Kennedy Lake.  You may have a bureaucrat go after you, evict you and ticket you.  This is what it has come to.  Even a native "land defender" might confront you as last year they set up blockades for the ostensible reason garbage was being left by campers.

Edited by blackbird

34 minutes ago, West said:

No but we are losing freedom to unelected foreign entities ie the UN 

Here is some of submissions by bureaucrats.  Some complaints are probably justified.  But a lot of the complaints are self-serving bureaucratic tripe.  But there are no forest service campsites although they exist in other parts of the province.  So there is no place for people to go except the expensive resort type campsites around Tofino for $55 to $90 a night, and these may already be filled up.  Sounds like there are no public washrooms around town either.  They obviously want all visitors to only go to the expensive campgrounds or hotels/motels and eat in the expensive restaurants and use their washrooms.  Otherwise don't come to the west coast.

• Responded to calls on West Main for backwoods campers: saw no social distancing • High anxiety for responders due to time delay to get to patient as well as health and safety issues • These people are not arriving as tourists to support our businesses • The backroad clean-up was devasting this year • Based on license plates, seeing people from Quebec and Ontario • When BCAS is responding out of town for these incidents, it leaves a gap in town which elevates the risk • Seeing more drug-induced illnesses rather than injuries e) District of Tofino – Councilor (and ACRD Director) Tom Stere • Bylaw officers are seeing a different clientele than they are used to • Echo Chief Baker’s comments as well as Director Cole’s regarding West Main • Tla-o-qui-aht territory is an important part of our jurisdiction f) Ucluelet RCMP – Sgt. Steve Mancini • Large increase in vehicle traffic • West Main is the hot spot • Ran roadblocks and saw 80-100 vehicles per day Committee-of-the-Whole Meeting Minutes March 3/21 Page 4 • No large up-tic in calls for service • Assisted BCAS with overdoses, no significant person-crimes • Seeing conflicts between local people and out-of-towners • Limited resources are being pulled out of town which affects communities • Bylaw officer was engaged last summer • No resources to monitor how long people are staying • Not sure if gating is the answer? g) Parks Canada – Park Superintendent Karen Haugen • Significant garbage being dumped in and around park bins • Used washrooms to shower, do laundry, dump garbage • Destroyed the water system: clogs, backlogs, failure • Janitors were trying to move people out at 6 am • Law enforcement was involved • People were hanging out in the park reserve and bunching up • People not paying park fees and having confrontations with visitors • Human/wildlife conflicts • Good news was the Guardian Programs were enhanced • Back country people were respectful but were still entering an area that was closed h) BC Parks – Area Supervisor Michael Grandbois • Has been a difficult time • Confrontations at Kennedy Lake and Kennedy Lake access • Only have 2 full-time and 1 seasonal staff • Kennedy Lake boat launch is day-use only • Seeing 10-15 per day from Alberta and Quebec • Had one firearm issue last year • More tickets issued than ever before • Seeing internet sites with blogs listing these places as safe sites to visit • Hard to deal with people who do not know if they are in a protected area or not • Mob rules out there • BC Parks has no actual campsites on the peninsula • A benefit was to get the work closer with the Tla-o-qui-aht Park Guardians • Resources are depleted • Some vehicles are still there since October and have not moved • Causing conflicts with local...........  unquote

mar_3_cow_minutes.pdf (acrd.bc.ca)

Edited by blackbird

I sit on the planning commission for the Alberni Clayoquot Regional District in Area C, the focus of this threads OP.

First of all, let me say that within the first couple of months of the pandemic some residents in the area started crying about the death of democracy when we started holding meetings via Zoom so I'm not very surprised at the tone of the threads title.

I would argue the opposite is happening and residents in the area are being afforded a greater say in our region.  There are 5 1st Nations here that have signed treaties that gives them self governing powers. I think one of the results of that is non 1st Nation communities increasingly want more powers to be self governing too.

As for comments about people camping anywhere they want you need you see the sheer numbers of people doing so and the amount of garbage including, abandoned vehicles, that are strewn along logging roads and even highways around here.

People around here generally support and agree to measures that address these issues. The bigger threat to our democracy here is from outsiders who act as if they should have every right to do as they want, always has been.  Look no further than the state of our fisheries for evidence of that.

I'm on record around here for supporting one planetary government but I'm also on record for supporting greater local autonomy. The biggest role for distant governments should be to support that local autonomy. The result, I believe will be more democracy not less.

If visitors don't like it, they should go home and demand the same for their regions.

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I sit on the planning commission for the Alberni Clayoquot Regional District in Area C, the focus of this threads OP.

First of all, let me say that within the first couple of months of the pandemic some residents in the area started crying about the death of democracy when we started holding meetings via Zoom so I'm not very surprised at the tone of the threads title.

I would argue the opposite is happening and residents in the area are being afforded a greater say in our region.  There are 5 1st Nations here that have signed treaties that gives them self governing powers. I think one of the results of that is non 1st Nation communities increasingly want more powers to be self governing too.

As for comments about people camping anywhere they want you need you see the sheer numbers of people doing so and the amount of garbage including, abandoned vehicles, that are strewn along logging roads and even highways around here.

People around here generally support and agree to measures that address these issues. The bigger threat to our democracy here is from outsiders who act as if they should have every right to do as they want, always has been.  Look no further than the state of our fisheries for evidence of that.

I'm on record around here for supporting one planetary government but I'm also on record for supporting greater local autonomy. The biggest role for distant governments should be to support that local autonomy. The result, I believe will be more democracy not less.

If visitors don't like it, they should go home and demand the same for their regions.

So you are on the planning commission for the ACRD.  That is ironic and surprising to find you here.

You say the sheer numbers of people, garbage, abandoned vehicle on logging roads.

First let me say that tourists don't travel to those place to abandon a vehicle.  That would local people that did that.  Secondly, I have been out in the wilderness many times and have not seen that much garbage.  There is some in a few places, but I think you and the ACRD people are grossly exaggerating the problem.   In addition to that, why are you not working to have organized forest service campsites in the west coast, Kennedy Lake, and other areas?  You people are negligent in that all you do is complain and try to drive people away.  Citizens have a right to the wilderness, a right to camping, and exploring our west coast.  Yet what have you done to accommodate them?

The whole gist of the ACRD COW meetings is to complain about people who use the wilderness.  If there is a lot of garbage there, why doesn't the ACRD do something positive about it, like putting trash receptacles in strategic places, having people come in and collect the garbage, build campsites, and provide some washrooms for the public in and around the towns?   You are basically doing nothing except trying to discourage people from using the wilderness.  You are not providing support and making people feel welcome.   The ACRD is an unelected group of elite bureaucrats.  They are appointed by local governments and made up of councilors from local governments.  So people do not elect them directly as far as I can see.  That is not democratic.   At least tell us what positive things you have done to solve the problems of garbage and a few old vehicles that have been dumped.  That old vehicle stuff happens everywhere.  There should be some solutions to these problems provided by the ACRD who assumes authority over the rest of the population, not just condemning without doing anything.

On 6/18/2022 at 12:53 PM, blackbird said:

So you are on the planning commission for the ACRD.  That is ironic and surprising to find you here.

Why?  I've been a member of the Area C APC off and on, mostly on, for nearly 35 years.

You say the sheer numbers of people, garbage, abandoned vehicle on logging roads.First let me say that tourists don't travel to those place to abandon a vehicle.  That would local people that did that.  Secondly, I have been out in the wilderness many times and have not seen that much garbage.  There is some in a few places, but I think you and the ACRD people are grossly exaggerating the problem.

Abandoned vehicles are being left behind by people who want to work here and live the dream but can't find or afford a place to live. They live in their vehicles and sometimes these breakdown and are left behind. The garbage is what it is.  Of course the people who leave it behind say its negligible too.  Illegal camping... almost to the point of homesteading, is causing problems that go beyond just the garbage and the problems are impacting towns, villages and rural areas within the district.

In addition to that, why are you not working to have organized forest service campsites in the west coast, Kennedy Lake, and other areas?  You people are negligent in that all you do is complain and try to drive people away.  Citizens have a right to the wilderness, a right to camping, and exploring our west coast.  Yet what have you done to accommodate them?

There are lots of campsites with more coming on line but build the capacity and it's full the next day. People have a right to the wilderness and people also want the a right to say what goes on in the wilderness in their region.  There's a small handful who don't want any people at all to come and there are people who want hundreds of thousands more to come.  Most people in between simply want to see a little more order and a lot less chaos.  

The whole gist of the ACRD COW meetings is to complain about people who use the wilderness.

No its not, but the ACRD does have to deal with the issues that people do complain about.

If there is a lot of garbage there, why doesn't the ACRD do something positive about it, like putting trash receptacles in strategic places, having people come in and collect the garbage, build campsites, and provide some washrooms for the public in and around the towns?

These are not the sort of things the ACRD does nor is it necessarily things that other local governments on the COW do, especially outside their jurisdictions. Which explains why they've asked more senior governments to get involved.

You are basically doing nothing except trying to discourage people from using the wilderness.  You are not providing support and making people feel welcome.  The ACRD is an unelected group of elite bureaucrats.  They are appointed by local governments and made up of councilors from local governments.  So people do not elect them directly as far as I can see.  That is not democratic.

The ACRD is a jurisdiction - it is a district composed of Areas. A B C D etc.  Each Area elects a board member at the same time we elect our MLA's. Each 1st Nation in the District also a seat on the Board.  Area Planning Commission members like myself are volunteers from different neighbourhoods, anyone can join and the more the merrier.  The ACRD has a staff of planners, engineers, home inspectors and one by-law officer for the entire region, which is pretty vast considering.  Just as it is in a municipality there is a Chief Administrative Officer appointed by the Province who works with Board Members and staff to provide legal advice amongst other things. The ACRD is governed by the BC Local Government Act.

The ACRD is not the evil corrupt dictatorship you and so many seem to believe all governments are these days. In 35 years I've never seen a secret handshake or been given a kickback or a bribe so... 

At least tell us what positive things you have done to solve the problems of garbage and a few old vehicles that have been dumped.  That old vehicle stuff happens everywhere.  There should be some solutions to these problems provided by the ACRD who assumes authority over the rest of the population, not just condemning without doing anything.

We've engaged more senior governments with greater authority in impacted areas to take action.  We don't have the resources you seem to think we do that we can snap up and put into action, the ACRD is not allowed to incur a debt or carry a deficit for example nor do we have the influence you seem to think we have.  Now that said, what will likely spur action is the louder voice and greater assertiveness being brought to the table by 1st Nations, especially those with signed modern treaties. They have a capacity to influence senior governments that we can only dream off.  I'm reminded of how revolutions in other countries will often coalesce around indigenous aspirations and as I pointed out earlier I think local non-native people want a little more say in what happens in our region too.

46 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Why?  I've been a member of the Area C APC off and on, mostly on, for nearly 35 years.

Abandoned vehicles are being left behind by people who want to work here and live the dream but can't find or afford a place to live. They live in their vehicles and sometimes these breakdown and are left behind. The garbage is what it is.  Of course the people who leave it behind say its negligible too.  Illegal camping... almost to the point of homesteading, is causing problems that go beyond just the garbage and the problems are impacting towns, villages and rural areas within the district.

There are lots of campsites with more coming on line but build the capacity and it's full the next day. People have a right to the wilderness and people also want the a right to say what goes on in the wilderness in their region.  There's a small handful who don't want any people at all to come and there are people who want hundreds of thousands more to come.  Most people in between simply want to see a little more order and a lot less chaos.  

No its not, but the ACRD does have to deal with the issues that people do complain about.

These are not the sort of things the ACRD does nor is it necessarily things that other local governments on the COW do, especially outside their jurisdictions. Which explains why they've asked more senior governments to get involved.

The ACRD is a jurisdiction - it is a district composed of Areas. A B C D etc.  Each Area elects a board member at the same time we elect our MLA's. Each 1st Nation in the District also a seat on the Board.  Area Planning Commission members like myself are volunteers from different neighbourhoods, anyone can join and the more the merrier.  The ACRD has a staff of planners, engineers, home inspectors and one by-law officer for the entire region, which is pretty vast considering.  Just as it is in a municipality there is a Chief Administrative Officer appointed by the Province who works with Board Members and staff to provide legal advice amongst other things. The ACRD is governed by the BC Local Government Act.

The ACRD is not the evil corrupt dictatorship you and so many seem to believe all governments are these days. In 35 years I've never seen a secret handshake or been given a kickback or a bribe so... 

We've engaged more senior governments with greater authority in impacted areas to take action.  We don't have the resources you seem to think we do that we can snap up and put into action, the ACRD is not allowed to incur a debt or carry a deficit for example nor do we have the influence you seem to think we have.  Now that said, what will likely spur action is the louder voice and greater assertiveness being brought to the table by 1st Nations, especially those with signed modern treaties. They have a capacity to influence senior governments that we can only dream off.  I'm reminded of how revolutions in other countries will often coalesce around indigenous aspirations and as I pointed out earlier I think local non-native people want a little more say in what happens in our region too.

I still don't buy your argument.  As for FN, the board of directors has four FN people representing their interests on the board of about 14 members.  FNs are 5% of the population but have 30% of the representation on the board.  Makes a whole lot sense?   That means the other 95% of the population in the area are not being democratically represented.  But the fact that the population of the area don't elect the board makes the whole thing a farce.   They are not interested in serving the people when they spend their time complaining and fining people for sleeping in their vehicles and chasing people away from certain areas.  They only want people to bring lots of money to Tofino and other places to stay in expensive motels, campgrounds for $55 to $90 a night and eat in their expensive restaurants. 

If lots of people want to go and camp or don't have a place to stay or the money to stay in the expensive accommodations, then find a decent solution.  Stop treating the citizens like dirt and trying to chase poor people away.  They have to live somewhere and have as much right as anyone else to live in those areas.  Most people do not have the big piles of money to stay in the expensive tourist destinations.

On 6/20/2022 at 10:22 AM, blackbird said:

I still don't buy your argument.  As for FN, the board of directors has four FN people representing their interests on the board of about 14 members.  FNs are 5% of the population but have 30% of the representation on the board.  Makes a whole lot sense?   

Makes sense to me in Area C where the population is split a lot closer to 50%.

[quote]Stop treating the citizens like dirt and trying to chase poor people away. They have to live somewhere and have as much right as anyone else to live in those areas.[/quote]

What right is that exactly? Do people where you live have the right to live in cars?

20 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Makes sense to me in Area C where the population is split a lot closer to 50%.

[quote]Stop treating the citizens like dirt and trying to chase poor people away. They have to live somewhere and have as much right as anyone else to live in those areas.[/quote]

What right is that exactly? Do people where you live have the right to live in cars?

The simple fact is many people cannot afford the high cost of accommodation in the west coast communities.  It is up to the government (local municipal, regional (ACRD), and provincial to look after homeless people.  It is also up to these governments to provide sufficient provincial parks, and forest service campsites for tourists and outdoor enthusiasts.  Not everyone has the money or interest in the crowded commercial campsites around Tofino.  The ACRD and other bureaucrats, local authorities should stop treating people like filth, stop ticketing everyone they can, and start working toward providing the camping facilities for people.  They should also be working to provide accommodation to the poor and homeless instead of punishing them and trying to force them to go somewhere else.  Tofino has just as much responsibility to look after the homeless and poor people as any other town on the island.  

Of the total population in the regional district, natives have nowhere near 50%.  The ACRD represents the whole region, not just the native villages which in total is a very small number compared to the tens of thousands of people in the region.   Therefore they have no right to be 30% of the board of directors which speaks for and represents the whole region.

Edited by blackbird

22 hours ago, blackbird said:

The simple fact is many people cannot afford the high cost of accommodation in the west coast communities.  It is up to the government (local municipal, regional (ACRD), and provincial to look after homeless people.  It is also up to these governments to provide sufficient provincial parks, and forest service campsites for tourists and outdoor enthusiasts.

Perhaps you like this as a solution.

B.C. housing minister doubles down on threat to seize zoning powers from municipalities

David Eby tells The Affordability Puzzle: Who has the Answers panel the government is prepared to mandate control of zoning to get more housing built.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-housing-minister-doubles-down-on-threat-to-seize-zoning-powers-from-municipalities

Maybe they could force us to build more parks and campsites while they're at it.  Might just as well get rid of the Local Governance Act don't you think?  Just turns municipalities into dictators.