Canada and evolution

The parallels with Putin's rise to power are quite vivid and already frightening. The first time he was elected by a real majority. With incessant propaganda, suppression of all independent media he vilified his opponents the real ones, he had dummy opposition too. And now he can win any election; and having won it, he can claim popular mandate to justify anything he decides to do. No, cannot happen here.

46 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I was at a celebration of life yesterday at our community hall and I'd say at least half the people of all ages were masked.  There were certainly more than a few who wore them wrong or had them dangling from their ears but it was still way more than %5 who were trying to be serious about it.

Around here we have a situation where college teachers and students are forced to wear them all day, then are free to go lick each others *ssholes at night.

It’s all about context...

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Around here we have a situation where college teachers and students are forced to wear them all day, then are free to go lick each others *ssholes at night.

It’s all about context...

This sounds like real horseshit to me. College teachers and students are having unprotected kinky sex and conservatives are meh about it?

What's happened to all the conservatives, what's turned them into such a bunch of pussies more concerned about socks, hair and the odd trailer park dummies frozen bank account?

• Haha 1

It's not about liberals or conservatives, don't even try that. It's about bureaucrat paid to the glands and over with your money coming out of her lair and telling you: here put this on your face; yes I insist you have to. And you: but of course, Master. What else, and where?

What does it have to do with bloody liberals and conservatives? Such an old story.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

I was at a celebration of life yesterday

How wonderful to celebrate a life. Io think all life should be celebrated, if you're lucky enough to have one.

Unlike those who live on the fringes as it were, and then along came Covid.

We know it affected people disproportionally by age, and also by class. People who were already marginalized, the odd-ball, the addict, found themselves even more cut off from the system.

Check it out man, google search result.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Covid+shutdown+affect+on+drug+overdose

They never had a chance against you people.  ;)

54 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

How wonderful to celebrate a life. Io think all life should be celebrated, if you're lucky enough to have one.

Unlike those who live on the fringes as it were, and then along came Covid.

We know it affected people disproportionally by age, and also by class. People who were already marginalized, the odd-ball, the addict, found themselves even more cut off from the system.

Check it out man, google search result.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Covid+shutdown+affect+on+drug+overdose

They never had a chance against you people.  ;)

No. From where I'm sitting what's most fucked up in the world about addiction and marginalization of addicts is the result of having to suffer and accommodate social conservatism.  Social conservatives, hands-down bar-none full-stop are the most fucked up people on the planet.

The drugs addicts need should have been legal and years and years ago. It isn't progressives who insist on maintaining the status quo, that's strictly on you people. The only time I've ever seen a conservative give an addict a break is when they're associating the plight of an addict with even more deplorable people.  I guess that would be people like me.

Is it just me or is there something perverse and wrong in how the only time the word social is an acceptable political descriptor for conservatives is when they look down on people they've judged to be intolerable or even sub-human?

I guess this is why I'm increasingly prone to associate the word asshole with conservative.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

The only time I've ever seen a conservative give an addict a break is when they're associating the plight of an addict with even more deplorable people.  

I've read that the situation is actually different in Rebublican areas that were devastated by the opiates.  

51 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I've read that the situation is actually different in Rebublican areas that were devastated by the opiates.

$10 bucks says most true-blue hard-boiled Republicans will go out of their way to associate the devastation on lefties.

35 minutes ago, eyeball said:

$10 bucks says most true-blue hard-boiled Republicans will go out of their way to associate the devastation on lefties.

I don't think that happens.  It's their kids, their sports stars.  Googled "High School Football Star Dies of Heroin Overdose" 

Unbelievable sadness that has hit my loved ones as well.   Canada's death rates is about 1/2 that of the USA.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/210712/dq210712b-eng.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

I don't think that happens.  It's their kids, their sports stars.  Googled "High School Football Star Dies of Heroin Overdose" 

Unbelievable sadness that has hit my loved ones as well.   Canada's death rates is about 1/2 that of the USA.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/210712/dq210712b-eng.htm

I've seen that sadness where I live and I'm sorry to hear it's hit you as well.  Despite what OftenWrong would have you believe I assure you it wasn't my fault.

Framing questions into "lefties - righties" is an easy way to avoid discussing their essence. Labeling and an excuse to dismiss. How can you excuse massive government and proxy propaganda of the style of authoritarian and totalitarian regimes? No, it's just them righties. Easy.

Doesn't answer serious questions and so solve any serious problems: the downside.

14 hours ago, myata said:

Framing questions into "lefties - righties" is an easy way to avoid discussing their essence.

Yeah but it can be fun. Most of these binary thinking dunderheads ain’t gonna discuss no essence anyway, no matter what you tell ‘em. ;) 

So I say feed ‘em more of what they want, and let them believe whatever it is they need to believe. Then they’ll all sleep better at night. 

Do not disturb 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eyeball said:

Like I said, there are no end of stupid people who don't give a shit.

By any chance you meant those people who decide and mandate what others should do, without a shred of credible evidence? Well said!

55 minutes ago, myata said:

By any chance you meant those people who decide and mandate what others should do, without a shred of credible evidence? Well said!

By no chance whatsoever. I mean people like OftenWrong who think people should eschew their surgeon's advice so as to not be taken for a frightened sheep.

14 hours ago, eyeball said:

By no chance whatsoever.

Oh so, "to decide and mandate what others should do without a shred of credible evidence" must be perfectly fine with you? Thought so. Somehow, it comes very naturally with counting yourself as "progressive".

5 hours ago, myata said:

Oh so, "to decide and mandate what others should do without a shred of credible evidence" must be perfectly fine with you?

No that wouldn't be fine with me at all which is why I supported measures when I saw evidence of things like mass graves, traffic jams of ambulances arriving at hospitals and a medical emergency rapidly spreading around the planet.

Thought so. Somehow, it comes very naturally with counting yourself as "progressive".

No, you were told and advised to think that. What came naturally to me was the early realization by March of 2020 that wherever the right-wing was determined to come unglued over the measures the pandemic would be far worse than it needed to be.

I specifically pointed out that measures in the US in particular wouldn't stand a chance against "conservatives".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

I saw evidence of things like mass graves, traffic jams of ambulances arriving at

You saw that evidence in countries like Sweden, Norway, Finland etc with no lockdowns or mandates? Why do you need to be glued or unglued to measures when just presenting honest objective information to intelligent people and investing and managing a top notch public health care was able to do the job, without hand wrenching, heart appeals, evil enemies and misleading ly-ing propaganda?