Canadian Framers

4 minutes ago, myata said:

It is no longer possible (if ever was) to separate the system of public governance from privilege and entitlement, sometimes unjustified and often plain outrageous. Where there's government there's privilege. They have become all but synonymous. Governing elites recruit known and respected individuals into the system of privilege to support them in return in unchecked and unlimited claim to power. Is it still about representation? or mostly about privilege? Impossible to tell, all is grey and boundaries long gone, if ever existed.

But that is a dead end road. Privilege and entitlement cannot grow indefinitely without upsetting the entire system as inevitable result. A hiccup in the world economy could fold up both ineffective and expensive bureaucratic public system, and lazy and uncompetitive enterprise thriving not on excellence, creativity and efficiency but on monopolistic practices, with a massive impact on the society.

Questions were asked what solutions can be proposed? Here's a direction for a new, contemporary, citizens democracy:

1. Decisions are made with maximum transparency and maximum involvement of citizens. The more decision is important to the society, the more transparency and involvement of citizens, not less. As just illustrated, we don't have that now despite all commissions and ombudspeople with added overhead privilege. No, we have just the opposite.

2. Privilege is taken out of public service, any function and level, no exceptions. Privilege engenders more privilege and so on zip to the status quo. New public service is not about privilege, minus the privilege. Privilege means out of public service.

And now of course and as always it is up to the citizens to decide what they want and need? Something new, a way forward? Or status quo leading into evolutionary dead end? In the end, the reality always catches up.

What we see today is the result of too many years of unfettered liberalism. Any ideology left unchecked for long enough descends into its own hypocrisy. That is why there needs to be a strong opposition party, a conservative party, to act as a counterweight to the left. The pendulum must swing the other way.

Join us myata. It's bliss

44 minutes ago, myata said:

Show me the conservative party that will do away with the entitlement and privilege. I really like to see it, anything, any ideology. It's the unchecked privilege that is a dead end, regardless of ideology.

Right, exactly. I hear you. I don't think I said party. Doesn't sound like me.

Point is, the people need to see it. Mr. Trudeau is like unto a harlot, who's plastering art doth no longer cover her cheek.

Nothing can convince me that $185 K plus allowances is fair compensation for pushing buttons under direction of unelected PMO. It's not about equality, but common sense. And for bureaucracy libre of all bounds and boundaries, it's none of a problem either. At which point in the near future it'll hit 200K (and the pension, 100)? What fraction of compatriots make that in a year (and some, in a decade)? Not to worry! Only less than 10% raise, a trifle.

The whole thing was set up, framers or no, on the model of Olympus mount where demigods or very near are making important decisions for the little folk far below. The decisions at times strange and at other times clearly sucked but it never happened to affect godly status, anyhow. And I don't think there's  a naturally good end to this old parable sure the trees, budget collapse or "clean the swamp" saviors any number of known variants, short on good ones though.

Edited by myata

9 hours ago, myata said:

Nothing can convince me that $185 K plus allowances is fair compensation for pushing buttons under direction of unelected PMO. It's not about equality, but common sense. And for bureaucracy libre of all bounds and boundaries, it's none of a problem either. At which point in the near future it'll hit 200K (and the pension, 100)? What fraction of compatriots make that in a year (and some, in a decade)? Not to worry! Only less than 10% raise, a trifle.

The whole thing was set up, framers or no, on the model of Olympus mount where demigods or very near are making important decisions for the little folk far below. The decisions at times strange and at other times clearly sucked but it never happened to affect godly status, anyhow. And I don't think there's  a naturally good end to this old parable sure the trees, budget collapse or "clean the swamp" saviors any number of known variants, short on good ones though.

I'm saying careful what you wish for you just might get it. It's like the final line, the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe and saw. The solution might be even worse than the problem.

It's like the final end-state condition of unrestrained liberalism... self cancellation. If you're not careful eventually you'll chop off your own head.

10 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I'm saying careful what you wish for you just might get it. It's like the final line, the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe and saw. The solution might be even worse than the problem.

I'm not wishing anything here. It's useless to wish between two options that both suck and very well may come to the same end because one causes the other and so on ad infinitum. Exalted bureaucracy that sees itself as the ultimate cause and reason for the Existence, sure let's try it again and why not. Flatulence and orgasms.

Edited by myata

P.S. OK if remembering about checks on bureaucracy unbound by any checks and accountability, setting its own salaries, entitlements, criteria of performance you name it means "liberalism" than what would be the other, different ideology? Could it have something to do with pharaohs? Funny isn't it how ideologies may come so easily and naturally to self-cancellation.

Edited by myata

And this by the way, is a very good illustration why enlightened technocratic rule by the enlightened always well-meaning elites dreamed of by many enlightened in numerous utopias will inevitably, perhaps with different rate of decay lead to slow-developing failure with a rapid and unexpected onset. Because well-meaning technocratic bureaucracy is still a bureaucracy. And a bureaucracy cannot control itself, it's against its nature but it knows how to copy and replicate. A bureaucracy will manage itself, appoint itself salaries, positions and entitlements and budgets. Invent volumes and libraries of privileges, prerogatives and paragraphs saying very clearly that no, transparency and oversight are not possible because... no just leave it, either transparency and efficiency or us. And all that activity will have very little connection to the problems and needs outside of its boundaries. "Fix healthcare for generation", of course however it may take a few generations to get there. "Rapid Covid-19 response" only some billions and its 2021 with the response nowhere in sight.

That at least was a very useful experiment.

Edited by myata