JT to Blue Jays: GTFO!

Just now, Boges said:

Yeah, their newly renovated Spring Training facility. They already have to play the Marlins and Rays. 

I guess pro's don't want to play in Minor league facilities.

Minor league players are "pros" too....so that ain't it.

Toronto got hosed by Canada, and now has to scramble for a venue in wicked COVID America.

I guess not. I disagree with the ruling. I think the Rogers Centre could have worked as a suitable bubble. 

It's a political decision from the Feds as Toronto and Ontario both approved the Blue Jays plan. 

The Feds are too busy with the WE corruption scandal to worry about the Blue Jays' baseball blues.

Play Ball !    (with or without Toronto)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Minor league players are "pros" too....so that ain't it.

Big Leaguers then. My bad.

Luxury Clubhouses are appealing. 

Toronto got hosed by Canada, and now has to scramble for a venue in wicked COVID America.

Toronto gets to host half the NHL playoffs. 

It's not like sports without fans are huge revenue generators for hospitality anyway. 

Play Ball !    (with or without Toronto)

Are you still under the impression they'll forfeit the season. There are still options on the table. They have a week. 

Edited by Boges

3 hours ago, Boges said:

Are you still under the impression they'll forfeit the season. There are still options on the table. They have a week. 

If the Toronto team cannot provide it's own stadium venue like all the other teams, then why should they be permitted to play ?

What's so special about the Toronto Blue Jays ?

13 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

If the Toronto team cannot provide it's own stadium venue like all the other teams, then why should they be permitted to play ?

What's so special about the Toronto Blue Jays ?

It's not about being special. It's about all the teams that have them on their schedule. 

All the AL East and NL East teams get automatic wins? How's that fair to Central and West teams who are competing for playoff spots against the East teams. 

Again, there are plenty of options for the Jays, just that none of them are terrific at this point. 

1 hour ago, Boges said:

It's not about being special. It's about all the teams that have them on their schedule. 

All the AL East and NL East teams get automatic wins? How's that fair to Central and West teams who are competing for playoff spots against the East teams. 

Again, there are plenty of options for the Jays, just that none of them are terrific at this point. 

How is it "fair" that the Toronto team gets to use the expensive ML facilities of other teams ?

Would they get the same share of TV/media revenue ?   

Other teams are ready to go....so what's Toronto's problem ?

18 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

How is it "fair" that the Toronto team gets to use the expensive ML facilities of other teams ?

Would they get the same share of TV/media revenue ?   

Other teams are ready to go....so what's Toronto's problem ?

I'm confident they're not doing it for free. Each team has their own TV contract. I'm pretty sure the Blue Jays broadcaster isn't even sending their crew on the road with them. They'll just watch from Toronto. 

Right now this baseball season is a complete loss for all teams without any gate revenue. They just need to get together and put some semblance of a season together. And having teams say, no not my stadium! is probably counter-productive. 

I'm also certain other Big-League teams don't want to go to Buffalo or Dunedin for the same reason the Blue Jays don't. 

1 minute ago, Boges said:

Right now this baseball season is a complete loss for all teams without any gate revenue. They just need to get together and put some semblance of a season together. And having teams say, no not my stadium! is probably counter-productive.

MLB is less dependent on gate revenue compared to other sports like the NHL.   It's all about TV revenue.

Toronto is getting a stadium pass...so why couldn't other teams bail out too ?

...and this is not a "season" at all.

I'm also certain other Big-League teams don't want to go to Buffalo or Dunedin for the same reason the Blue Jays don't. 

So if the situation was reversed, the U.S. teams/stadiums would still be used by Toronto, because Toronto has no other options inside Canada ?

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

So if the situation was reversed, the U.S. teams/stadiums would still be used by Toronto, because Toronto has no other options inside Canada ?

If the US government choose that. Then yeah. Remember the border is mostly closed via a mutual agreement. 

The idea that Canadian teams play in US leagues is something different. There are different dynamics at play. But it's seemed to work up until now. 

Note that all American NHL teams are in Canada now getting ready to play in two Canadian cities. All NBA and MLS teams are playing in Orlando. 

This is just how it's got to work in 2020. 

5 minutes ago, Boges said:

The idea that Canadian teams play in US leagues is something different. There are different dynamics at play. But it's seemed to work up until now. 

Note that all American NHL teams are in Canada now getting ready to play in two Canadian cities. All NBA and MLS teams are playing in Orlando. 

This is just how it's got to work in 2020. 

City of Toronto and Ontario were OK for MLB visiting teams with bubble restrictions.

Air travel is still permitted with "quarantine".

It's the American teams that fill out these leagues, not Canada.

8 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

City of Toronto and Ontario were OK for MLB visiting teams with bubble restrictions.

I agree. I think the decision by the Federal government was the wrong one. Regardless, it seemed popular. The Blue Jays have a facility where bubbling is possible. But that doesn't speak to the staff that would still be going home. 

Air travel is still permitted with "quarantine".

Which is why the Jays could come up here to train initially. They've been quarantined up until the point they had to leave to play road gaems. 

It's the American teams that fill out these leagues, not Canada.

Irrelevant. They have a Canadian team. They play in one of the best divisions in the league. 

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

So you're alternative is to have them forfeit and give W's to the other 9 teams on their schedule? 

If I was a Twins fan, I wouldn't support that at all. 

No, as deadbeats, they need to play all road games and compensate the other teams for the stadium and related costs.

Toronto should bear the penalty/cost of Canadian government restrictions.

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

No, as deadbeats, they need to play all road games and compensate the other teams for the stadium and related costs.

Toronto should bear the penalty/cost of Canadian government restrictions.

That's certainly a possible outcome. 

Note the Orioles have no problem letting Toronto use their stadium, nor did the Pirates. These decisions are political. 

Just now, Boges said:

That's certainly a possible outcome. 

Note the Orioles have no problem letting Toronto use their stadium, nor did the Pirates. These decisions are political. 

Yes, Canada made a political decision and Toronto should bear the cost of that decision, not other teams.

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Yes, Canada made a political decision and Toronto should bear the cost of that decision, not other teams.

Who's debating that they shouldn't? 

Pennsylvania also made a political decision. A hugely hypocritical one, but political nonetheless. 

I'm not sure what the arrangement would be. But it's not like the costs are that great anyway. There are gate or concessions to be made. The TV money is each teams responsibility regardless of where they play. 

Edited by Boges

1 minute ago, Boges said:

Who's debating that they shouldn't? 

Pennsylvania also made a political decision. A hugely hypocritical one, but political nonetheless.

PA teams have stadiums to use (Pirates and Phillies)...no problem.    PA is not responsible for deadbeat Blue Jays.

I'm not sure what the arrangement would be. But it's not like the costs are that great anyway. There are gate or concessions to be made. The TV money is each teams responsibility regardless of where they play. 

No matter what the delta is, Toronto is getting special consideration, even if it is negative.

At a minimum, their incompetent front office should have prepared better than contingencies that really won't work.

3 hours ago, Boges said:

What drama? Who's been inconvenienced other than the Jays? And perhaps the broadcasters at Rogers. 

What drama ?   This drama....

Yay!....baseball will open with 60 games and a new playoff format....Toronto can't wait to get going...but Canada just peed on their parade...gotta find another stadium in the United COVID States instead....how about PNC Park in Pittsburgh...great idea...oh wait...the PA Dept. of health said hell no...bummer...OK, hows about Camden Yards in Baltimore...that's the ticket for sure....what's that...can't play there either....damn...what's left...Sahlen Field in Buffalo or training park in Dunedin Florida....where will this saga end...Blue Jays can't get any respect...this just in...it will be Buffalo after all....Yay !

On 7/24/2020 at 6:01 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

What drama ?   This drama....

Yay!....baseball will open with 60 games and a new playoff format....Toronto can't wait to get going...but Canada just peed on their parade...gotta find another stadium in the United COVID States instead....how about PNC Park in Pittsburgh...great idea...oh wait...the PA Dept. of health said hell no...bummer...OK, hows about Camden Yards in Baltimore...that's the ticket for sure....what's that...can't play there either....damn...what's left...Sahlen Field in Buffalo or training park in Dunedin Florida....where will this saga end...Blue Jays can't get any respect...this just in...it will be Buffalo after all....Yay !

8 Marlins players tested positive. Two games have now been postponed because of it to see how many Phillies were infected by playing the Marlins over the weekend. 

Both teams were scheduled to come to Canada this season. See why the decision was made? 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29547211/two-mlb-games-postponed-marlins-outbreak

Edited by Boges

22 minutes ago, Boges said:

Both teams were scheduled to come to Canada this season. See why the decision was made?

Canada can make any decision it wants, but there are still new cases of COVID-19 in Ontario and elsewhere regardless of baseball travel and Toronto's sob story.

Remember, it was you who wanted televised sports back.

27 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada can make any decision it wants, but there are still new cases of COVID-19 in Ontario and elsewhere regardless of baseball travel and Toronto's sob story.

Yeah, a few hundred cases a day vs a few thousands in Florida. 

Remember, it was you who wanted televised sports back.

Many in your country do as well.