Decisive Contribution to Victory in WW2

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The Germans had been so rehabilitated for the Cold War, they were routinely depicted in American TV dramas and comedies through the 1960's.

Not so the Soviet allies, because now they were freakin' COMMIES  !!

Just watched a double header of Hogan's Heroes in fact...lol. Even the SS officer (Major Hochstetter) is adorable...

Edited by DogOnPorch

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

General Heinz Guderian leading from the front as per-usual. Clearly visible in his personal command half-track is his Enigma coding machine. 

See those small rotors...we called them "M rotors" on U.S. subs.   They were worth more than gold.   Most of the crew never even knew they still existed and were being used for naval message traffic.

• Like 1

See those small rotors...we called them "M rotors" on U.S. subs.   They were worth more than gold.   Most of the crew never even knew they still existed and were being used for naval message traffic.

That's cool. Didn't know that.

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

There is one episode of Rat Patrol focusing both sides on a single source of water...and who will get it.    Excellent !

Ah yes...loved Rat Patrol...12 o'clock High...Combat!...and a few others I've forgotten.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

Ah yes...loved Rat Patrol...12 o'clock High...Combat!...and a few others I've forgotten.

That's the thing....Rat Patrol treated Rommel with great respect and a worthy opponent.   The Soviets never got such high handed Hollywood treatment.

Who doesn't love Sgt. Schultz ?

That's the thing....Rat Patrol treated Rommel with great respect and a worthy opponent.   The Soviets never got such high handed Hollywood treatment.

Who doesn't love Sgt. Schultz ?

Well Rommel handed the US Army a very good drubbing at Kasserine Pass. That made those green Yanks think twice about just charging into battle. Respect is earned...

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

This should jog a few memories.

Don't get me going on that shocking but excellent program again....the narration by Sir Laurence Olivier is so depressing.

I don't think youngins today have that kind of perspective....WW2 was only 15 years before my earliest memories, and we played with plastic green army men to the death !

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Don't get me going on that shocking but excellent program again....the narration by Sir Laurence Olivier is so depressing.

I don't think youngins today have that kind of perspective....WW2 was only 15 years before my earliest memories, and we played with plastic green army men to the death !

Fire crackers + Airfix army men = an afternoon of fun as a kid.

12505_pd304532full.JPG

Edited by DogOnPorch

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Yup...Sgt Rock...GI Combat...Haunted Tank & others.

Rock just transitioned to killing commies during 'Nam.

I don't think the Soviets ever got favourable treatment in American media after the war.

Lots of Russians did emigrate to North America.

The argument over who won WW2 has a really straightforward answer...the Allies won WW2.

Rock just transitioned to killing commies during 'Nam.

I don't think the Soviets ever got favourable treatment in American media after the war.

Lots of Russians did emigrate to North America.

The argument over who won WW2 has a really straightforward answer...the Allies won WW2.

It took all of them in Europe...the Pacific was more the big US operation with British and Aussie/NZ auxiliaries...and the Free Dutch...can't forget them. They fought bravely for a hopeless cause. China was almost a theater unto itself...but Burma kept it connected to the main war.

The Canadians had a very limited time in the Pacific. Hong Kong and the one op in the Aleutians. But we did get new roads and airports thanks to the Japs and Russian lend-lease...just like Iran. :D  

The Soviets/Russians did not help their post WW2 charm at all with Warsaw Pact and Eastern Bloc.

It was like....seriously ?...after all that crap during the war.

Germany is about the size of Montana !

Stalin made the whole Soviet Union paranoid. It will happen again...just like the Germans...only this time Americans. Things improved slightly upon his death. But ol' Nikki had to produce or face a coup...things weren't very secure at the top after Stalin for anybody. Always a pistol behind a curtain...waiting.

It is no coincidence that the Iranian Army coup (with CIA help) happened shortly after his death. Ol' Mossadeq wanted to cozy up to the Soviets forgetting that most of the Iranian Army officers had done a tour through Stalin's POW camps. Not big fans of the Russians...oddly.

• Like 1

During the Cold War, the Soviets had "political officers" (commissars) embarked with crews on ships and submarines for indoctrination and spying on their own people, so large was the mistrust.  This obviously stemmed from Stalin's days...just ask Leon Trotsky !

The Nazi were the same if you recall your Das Boot. At first U-Boats went to sea without a Reich political officer aboard...too much free thinking and moralizing going on! Must stop that.

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

Khrushchev was a Commissar with the NKVD in Ukrainia (as the West called it) and Stalingrad regions if you recall your history. 

Didn't know that....I guess it was just another career path.

The closest thing we had were maybe Navy chaplains on larger surface combatants and shore commands...not on subs.

We did know that life in the Soviet military was miserable for creature comforts...still is.

6 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

If you say so....but the USSR was much more than Russia...Belarus and Ukraine suffered more than Russia as a percentage of population.

Yes, but being a united and strong-willed power, the USSR won in the end. And thanks to all of them for saving us from the fascist forces