Grassy Narrows Mercury Contamination

On 4/21/2019 at 12:31 PM, eyeball said:

Who really needs to be punished for this state of affairs are ordinary Canadians. We're responsible for decades of electing the useless governments that have maintained this status quo.  This is entirely on ordinary Canadians.

BS. Ordinary Canadians certainly had no say in the matter specifically. They never voted to contaminate the ground, that was a private company did that.

Then successive governments dragged their feet, ignored it or covered it up. Successive governments means, all the governments. So ya got yer left, and ya got yer right. Didn't matter who Canadians voted for, none of them spoke up. 

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

BS. Ordinary Canadians certainly had no say in the matter specifically. They never voted to contaminate the ground, that was a private company did that.

Then successive governments dragged their feet, ignored it or covered it up. Successive governments means, all the governments. So ya got yer left, and ya got yer right. Didn't matter who Canadians voted for, none of them spoke up. 

That doesn't absolve us of anything, we're still responsible for the governments we elect.

By your token our grandchildren are not responsible for the national debt we're still wracking up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

That doesn't absolve us of anything, we're still responsible for the governments we elect.

By your token our grandchildren are not responsible for the national debt we're still wracking up.

Being responsible does not mean being blamed, or being at fault. I'll wager ordinary Canadians, not liberals or conservatives, would care and want something done. There's no need for "punishment".

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Being responsible does not mean being blamed, or being at fault. I'll wager ordinary Canadians, not liberals or conservatives, would care and want something done. There's no need for "punishment".

No need ever?  Surely you must draw the line somewhere.  I've drawn where I think it should be.  I guess you're just not fed up with ordinary Canadians is all.

8 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Blaming is irrelevant. Being responsible means we have to correct it. 

The problem doesn't go away because 'it's not our fault'.

2 hours ago, jacee said:

Over 5 decades of continuous mercury poisoning and government inaction is a serious issue. Please be respectful.

Yes it has gone on for a long while. That's been said already too. I certainly don't need to be told to be respectful by you, so keep your sanctimonious "advice" to yourself.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

What is so absurd about establishing where the line between voter responsibility and voter culpability lies? 

Nothing. But you were talking about me just then, weren't you?
You know, the right-wing demon from hell who haunts your dreams. That's me.
coming to get you, tnight

42 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Where do you think it should be drawn then?

It doesn't matter, it's just my opinion. At issue to me here is the question of public awareness. Again, it is my opinion that most normal people would expect something to be done, and the government should see to it that it gets done in an effective way. That is what we expect from our government.

You seem to miss my point that there is no line, when there is a sense of responsibility. Responsibility means doing things regardless of whose fault it is. that has not happened here, it seems. I would like to know why that is, and if it turns out it's because the contamination is not real, just a myth, then you people can go to the devil.

12 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

It doesn't matter, it's just my opinion. At issue to me here is the question of public awareness. Again, it is my opinion that most normal people would expect something to be done, and the government should see to it that it gets done in an effective way. That is what we expect from our government.

You seem to miss my point that there is no line, when there is a sense of responsibility. Responsibility means doing things regardless of whose fault it is. that has not happened here, it seems. I would like to know why that is, and if it turns out it's because the contamination is not real, just a myth, then you people can go to the devil.

http://freegrassy.net/2016/06/19/on-ignored-confession-of-toxic-mercury-dump-upstream-from-grassy-narrows/

I suggest you go on up there and satisfy yourself of the facts. We'll believe you. 

1 hour ago, jacee said:

http://freegrassy.net/2016/06/19/on-ignored-confession-of-toxic-mercury-dump-upstream-from-grassy-narrows/

I suggest you go on up there and satisfy yourself of the facts. We'll believe you. 

I already said what I would do if it were me. Twice in fact, as it seems you people don't like to read.

• 1 month later...

UN representative finds Canada's Indigenous people are 'disproportionately' affected by toxic waste

Many Indigenous communities "feel they are located in areas that are ... 'sacrifice zones'" - Baskut Tuncak

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stefanovich-un-special-rapporteur-toxic-waste-findings-1.5164746?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

The United Nations Special Rapporteur on human rights and hazardous substances says Canada's Indigenous people are disproportionately affected by toxic waste.

He visited Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton and Montréal, along with Grassy Narrows and Sarnia in Ontario and Fort McMurray in Alberta, to meet with governments, academics, Indigenous communities and businesses.

Tuncak said he was "quite disappointed" with a lack of clear answers from Ontario and Ottawa regarding why a remedy has not been found for the community of Grassy Narrows half a century after the discharge of 10 tonnes of mercury upstream from the First Nation, located about 100 kilometres northeast of Kenora, Ont. ...

Mercury contaminated the local water and soil after the former owners of a mill in Dryden dumped effluent containing the toxin into the English-Wabigoon River system throughout most of the 1960s and into the early 1970s.

As a result, many residents suffer from debilitating health consequences to this day.

"The inaction for many decades really leaves in my mind questions of discrimination, and to what extent that community and other communities are protected from discrimination," Tuncak said.

"It should've been at the highest of priorities and I can't imagine that, if this were to happen in an urban centre, that it would've taken this long for remediation to take place."

I wonder if the governments will finally take action!