How Would You Reduce Islamic Extremism?

58 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I'd build a time machine, go back to 1953 and kill the morons that were engineering Operation Ajax.

Failing that, well...it's kinda like climate change where adaptation is probably the only choice we've got left. 

Ah yes...hand Iran over to the Soviets at the height of the Cold War. Brilliant.

17 hours ago, Robert Greene said:

I'm asking each member of the community to give their ideas. How do you think we should reduce Islamic extremism? What should be done to counteract extremism at home, and abroad?

At home:

• Significantly reduce immigration from majority Muslim nations.
  • Replace the ideology of "multiculturalism" with the ideology of "assimilation" 

Abroad:

• It's out of our control. Wait for the Muslim world to grow up, maybe another 500 years or so (that's about how long it took Christianity to turn from murderous savages to marginally civilized, no reason to expect other religious groups to do it any faster). 
Edited by Bonam
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

Ah yes...hand Iran over to the Soviets at the height of the Cold War. Brilliant.

So that said, the proper way to address Islamic extremism is to appear before an international truth and reconciliation commission and explain that our fear of communism justified meddling in the governance of Muslim societies.  Perhaps we could send the bill for reparations to Russia.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bonam said:

At home:

• Significantly reduce immigration from majority Muslim nations.
  • Replace the ideology of "multiculturalism" with the ideology of "assimilation" 

First you'll need to purge our societies of its lefties.

Abroad:

• It's out of our control.

I think it's still salvageable, just barely though - like the window of opportunity to address climate change.

Edited by eyeball

16 minutes ago, eyeball said:

So that said, the proper way to address Islamic extremism is to appear before an international truth and reconciliation commission and explain that our fear of communism justified meddling in the governance of Muslim societies.  Perhaps we could send the bill for reparations to Russia.

One: Iran was secular at the time. The Shah knew how to keep the Mullahs in their proper place...the mosque...not Iranian Parliament. 

Two: Mossedeq couldn't win his election without 'meddling' by the Soviet Union.

Three: Mossadeq stole property belonging to BP Oil. He called it 'nationalizing the oil industry'.

Four: You've likely always supported the Soviet Union over the USA. Yeah...I think so. 

20 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

One: Iran was secular at the time. The Shah knew how to keep the Mullahs in their proper place...the mosque...not Iranian Parliament. 

Two: Mossedeq couldn't win his election without 'meddling' by the Soviet Union.

Three: Mossadeq stole property belonging to BP Oil. He called it 'nationalizing the oil industry'.

Go tell it to the T&R commission, I'm sure they'll understand.

Four: You've likely always supported the Soviet Union over the USA. Yeah...I think so. 

You only think so because you're a moron. In any case what does this have to do with a T&R commission?  It somehow justifies not reconciling? 

2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Go tell it to the T&R commission, I'm sure they'll understand.

You only think so because you're a moron. In any case what does this have to do with a T&R commission?  It somehow justifies not reconciling? 

You're free to invent your history all you wish. It doesn't change reality that your Soviet chums meddled with Mossadeq's 'victory' via its fifth column Tudeh Party. Which, ironically, turned on Mousie during the Iranian Army Coup.

13 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

You're free to invent your history all you wish. It doesn't change reality that your Soviet chums meddled with Mossadeq's 'victory' via its fifth column Tudeh Party. Which, ironically, turned on Mousie during the Iranian Army Coup.

Why can't this reality be explained at a T&R commission?  It'll be a challenge explaining what any of this had to do with justifying further covert meddling in other countries but perhaps we could explain we acted out of concern for them - we believed it was for their good.

Edited by eyeball

Just now, eyeball said:

Why can't this be explained at a T&R commission?  It'll be a challenge explaining what any of this had to do with justifying further covert meddling in other countries but perhaps we could explain we acted out of concern for their countries - we believed it was for their good.

Oh dear...a commission made-up of folks who weren't alive in 1953 nor with any understanding of the region's history can't get to the bottom of things. Quelle surprise...

33 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Oh dear...a commission made-up of folks who weren't alive in 1953 nor with any understanding of the region's history can't get to the bottom of things. Quelle surprise...

History from the 50's on thru to now is clearly within living memory.  In any case it would be up the architects of a T&R commission to determine the scope and depth of historical inquiry.  I'm sure there would be ample opportunity for people with as clear an understanding as your's to have input into that.

I'd make a real point of insisting the world gets to hear loud and clear how people like you feel in fact.  I can't think of anything that would better capture an understanding of where some people in the West were really coming from when we allowed them to meddle in the Muslim world the way they did.

Edited by eyeball

Just now, eyeball said:

History from the 50's on thru to now is clearly within living memory.  In any case it would be up the architects of a T&R commission to determine the scope and depth of historical inquiry.  I'm sure there would be ample opportunity for people with as clear an understanding as your's to have input into that.

I'd make a real point of insisting the world gets to hear loud and clear how people like you feel in fact.  I can't think of anything that would better capture an understanding of where some people in the West were really coming from when we allowed them start meddling in the Muslim world.

Get real. Most folks can't remember 2001 let alone 1953. Can you? My Mom can...if quizzed.

As for "Muslim World"...it didn't think of itself that way in the era of the Young Turks which were more than just Ataturk in Turkey. They were either enchanted with America or the Soviet Union. Perhaps Red China if you were their neighbour. No such thing as Neutral during the CW.

32 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Get real. Most folks can't remember 2001 let alone 1953. Can you? My Mom can...if quizzed.

You figure "most folks" are what the T&R commission will be composed of, not Nobel laureates and other extremely intelligent people?

I'm sure there'll be ample opportunity for your Mom to apply.

As for "Muslim World"...it didn't think of itself that way in the era of the Young Turks which were more than just Ataturk in Turkey. They were either enchanted with America or the Soviet Union. Perhaps Red China if you were their neighbour. No such thing as Neutral during the CW.

I'd rather hear it from the experts on the T&R thanks all the same.

Edited by eyeball

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

You figure "most folks" are what the T&R commission will be composed of, not Nobel laureates and other extremely intelligent people?

I'm sure there'll be ample opportunity for your Mom to apply.

Big deal...I apparently know the history of the region while they do not. Folks like yourself treat Iranians like children who weren't able to decide they didn't want to be another SSR in the USSR. The Army sure didn't...because they pulled the Coup.

3 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Big deal...I apparently know the history of the region while they do not. Folks like yourself treat Iranians like children who weren't able to decide they didn't want to be another SSR in the USSR. The Army sure didn't...because they pulled the Coup.

7 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I'd rather hear it from the experts on the T&R thanks all the same.

41 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

You think the US installed the Shah which tells me how up on history you are.

Doesn't matter what I think. What matters is what a T&R commission concludes.

In the meantime I suggest you follow the OP's request. 

21 hours ago, Robert Greene said:

Please provide your own proposal first, before you comment on someones suggestions.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Doesn't matter what I think. What matters is what a T&R commission concludes.

In the meantime I suggest you follow the OP's request. 

Had he bothered providing a solution, himself, perhaps I'd be more keen on the OP's request. 

As for your T&R bull, you're free to think of Iranians as children incapable of their own action.

Just now, eyeball said:

Call it what you will but there'll never be a resolution of this without some sort of process that duly works thru the issues.

What issues? You act like nobody knew the history until some new "commission" got a hold of a book.

You just want to believe that Kermit Roosevelt flying around in a cargo plane with suitcases of cash as the casus belli of the 1953 Iranian Army Coup. That's not why there was a Coup.

There was a Coup because the Iranian Army didn't want anything to do with being under the thumb of the Soviet Union who had thrown most of the previous officer corp into the Gulags during WW2. But, I can't expect you to know that...requires actual history.