Regulatory logjam has cost Canada $100 billion

Argus

Oil and coal should not be viewed as fuel. They are the basis for over 10,000 products. You cannot make steel without coke. You cannot operate machinery without oil for lubrication. ie., you cannot build a nuclear power plant without steel and lubrication. The world does not stop when you die. We have an obligation to our descendants. We seem to be fixated that the only jobs in Canada are in the extraction of resources. If you can't get a job where you are, go find another job in another industry. There is a lot more money to be made in the financial sector, computer science and engineering. That is why we go to school. Become a "bankster". Design new and better nuclear reactors for export and domestic use.

Edited by Queenmandy85

Banks & finance do NOT "make" any money for the economy or the country.  They do little more than redistribute wealth from speculative activity - just as does any other welfare programme.

I agree that we need to wind down the amount of fuel we use from petro hydrocarbons, but with mega trillions of $$ already in the infrastructure to do so, and many kinds of transportation without any other options, it will still be happening for a long time.  Would work a LOT better if we simply stop wasting as much energy as we do for transportation that does NOT have to happen.   Instead, we do everything in our power to do more of the wasteful BS that we do now, instead of learning to do less and more efficiently.

In that vein: NOTHING burns my ass more than seeing a piece of garbage get built in a country where it will have zero quality, zero support and zero compliance with our work and environmental standards, stick it in a boat and piddle away the fuel to ship it half way around the world just to destroy the marketplace for a domestic or local company that intends to support its market and provide a quality product.   Cultural problem.

Similarly, when I drive down the US Interstates I see so many semis running deadhead, and worse yet I will see exactly the same load going one way as I see going the other.  One of the keys to energy efficiency and resource management is anti-globalism.

22 hours ago, AngusThermopyle said:

Perhaps because I'm the guy who signed the blank cheque pledging my life to defend Canada. Oh...that's right, in your opinion that means nothing.

People like you endanger our country.

I could ask what you'd do, but I already know the answer. You'd just flap your gums like you always do, then slither away.

I'll be flapping my gums alright - that is the proper course of action.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:11 AM, cannuck said:

For the time being, it is important to realize that the Athabasca Oil Sands are far, far greater than any other deposit of hydrocarbons on Earth.  They are also very difficult and expensive to extract.   Reality is: we will not have a petroleum economy forever, but we WILL have one for decades or even centuries into the future.  The current model is based on extraction of existing natural deposits, and due to the nature of our bituminous/asphalitic heavies, we will be able to run flat out and not put a dent in our reserves before everyone else runs out.   What I expect is that we will be far more able to synthesize everything we need from atmospheric carbon and water as the real need to do so becomes unavoidable.  Hydrocarbons will be around forever, but extracted petroleum will not - so as Taxme has indicated, time to get what we can from what we have while it is still viable.

The real issue for sustainability is population, not resources.   We are breeding 7++ Bn people to live on a nice 1Bn planet, and nobody is doing diddly squat to fix that genuine #1 problem.

Indeed. If some people are so concerned so about resources then they should try to do something and speak up about the third world and it's breeding practices. There are so many problems being created by third world over population but there is not one politician in Canada that seems to want to speak up and tackle that problem. It's so bloody simple to see where things are headed if over population is not curtailed. If queen wants to save our resources forever then she should be addressing that over population problem and not try to stifle growth and wealth for Canada and future generations. 

On 3/3/2019 at 7:47 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

What are we going to leave future generations of Canadians. If our ancestors had the attitude that" we may be all dead by then," there would have been no industrial revolution. Our civilization is based on three pillars; Iron, coal and oil. Without those resources, we go back into the Middle Ages. You can recycle iron but not oil and coal. You need coal to turn iron into steel and oil to lubricate. Add to that, there are thousands of other products made from oil and coal. Every tonne of coal and barrel of oi; we sell now is taken from future Canadians.

If you are so concerned about future generations then what are you going to do when Canada one day may have an over population problem which it would appear is heading that way today in Canada. What if by chance Canada's population hits 70 million or more people one day? The toll on the environment and infrastructure and resources alone will be a disaster. Why are you not fighting to stop the amount of immigrants that are being brought into Canada if you are so worried about future generations. We need less immigration and not more immigration. With a population going way overboard in Canada there will be nothing left for future generations in say fifty years if the population continues to increase. If our ancestors relied on and listen to people like you at the time we would probably all still be living in the 18th century. 

You remind me of those advertisements by the BC government that tell us that they have set up many park lands in BC that can never be developed and will be there for future generations to enjoy when in fact probably 90% of those generations to come and people that live in BC today will never be able to get to see and enjoy those park lands that have been set aside from development for future generations. The interior of British Columbia has many beautiful places to visit but they are not easily accessible. They are pretty much locked up tight from the ordinary BC'rs and Canadians to enjoy and try to get there. Open Canada up and let's enjoy all the benefits from what Canada has to offer now. Just letting it sit there makes no sense to me.  Future generations will survive on other things to stay alive and carry on. :)

5 hours ago, AngusThermopyle said:

And people like you make me laugh out loud. 

And that's why you're a threat to ordinary Canadians - people in places you're sent to likely see and experience the same disdain and hilarity when you're trying to kill them or when protecting some dictator/empire our side is allied with.

It's no surprise to me that so many people end up wanting to kill us back.