Pride in your ancestry

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without government assistance small farming would have disappeared half a century ago in the developed world.

Oh, I'm not disputing that, nor would I be the first to point out that even small farmers are not immune to bellying up to the trough. The big fuss over BSE bailouts wasn't that the government was handing out money, but that they were handing out money to the wrong people. ;)

I'm not sure I agree with this argument; I don't think my personal def'n of pride is very developed though. Feel free to help me out with it by sharing yours (like anyone here needs prodding to "share" their opinion :) )

I'm not proud to be Canadian, I'm grateful. I'm happy. My view of pride is that to be proud of something, you must create it, maintain it, have some say in it. I don't feel that way about Canada. You could argue that this is a democracy, and we all have a tiny say in it, but its so tiny a say, practically, I have no say. I pay taxes for it, but I don't decide how to spend the $$ on it.

I'm lucky that I was born into prosperity and I'm happy I wasn't born into squalor in the Congo, or Bangladesh. I'm happy by chance that this country has a good education system, and was able to meet a nice girl. I was born into good conditions.

I would be proud of my child winning a science contest, if I helped in his education, or made him feel secure enough to study hard. If I didn't, I would not be proud, cause it has nothing to do with me. Too many people I feel scream that they're proud of whatever; if you are, why do you need to share it?

I feel more bad things come from it than good ones. Namely war, materialism, and predjudice.

I'm not sure I agree with this argument; I don't think my personal def'n of pride is very developed though. Feel free to help me out with it by sharing yours (like anyone here needs prodding to "share" their opinion  :) )

Too many people I feel scream that they're proud of whatever; if you are, why do you need to share it?

I feel more bad things come from it than good ones. Namely war, materialism, and predjudice.

I like your quote.... I agree whole heartedly and the people that come to mind are blacks, gays, and natives!! Why do they feel it necessary to show it off? Why is there a "Gay Pride Parade"??

I'm not sure I agree with this argument; I don't think my personal def'n of pride is very developed though. Feel free to help me out with it by sharing yours (like anyone here needs prodding to "share" their opinion  :) )

I'm not proud to be Canadian, I'm grateful. I'm happy. My view of pride is that to be proud of something, you must create it, maintain it, have some say in it. I don't feel that way about Canada. You could argue that this is a democracy, and we all have a tiny say in it, but its so tiny a say, practically, I have no say. I pay taxes for it, but I don't decide how to spend the $$ on it.

I'm lucky that I was born into prosperity and I'm happy I wasn't born into squalor in the Congo, or Bangladesh. I'm happy by chance that this country has a good education system, and was able to meet a nice girl. I was born into good conditions.

I would be proud of my child winning a science contest, if I helped in his education, or made him feel secure enough to study hard. If I didn't, I would not be proud, cause it has nothing to do with me. Too many people I feel scream that they're proud of whatever; if you are, why do you need to share it?

I can live with that. :)

The small farmer is a dying breed in Alberta and it's agribusiness and it's allies in government that are to blame.

Without government assistance small farming would have disappeared half a century ago in the developed world.

For my rural relatives, farming has been at best a part time job for a long time. None of my cousins are in farming anymore; most working in energy or pulp mills. My aunt and uncle still live on the family farm, but are no longer "farmers". My aunt has worked at the school division for many years, and my uncle has, over the years, worked for Halliburton and trucking outfits, welded, worked as a mechanic, and driven a grader at construction sites and plowed roads during winter, all while being (nominally) a farmer. They've always done "ok", but very little of their income has come from farming. This year is the first time he's no longer farming his land; he's rented out his fields to an absurdly efficient Mennonite group who, amongst them, have achieved an economy of scale that Walmart would find admirable.

-k

I do sense however that English Canadians seem to lack identifying symbols

I have a symbol that I like just fine.

It's the Maple Leaf.

In a larger sense, I take pride in the thought that Canada is more sensible than most countries, is peaceful, tolerant and largely generous and good hearted.

It is a place where anyone who is willing to roll up their sleeves and work can get ahead.

IOW, we have what our southern neighbours describe as "The American Dream", without all the American political baggage.

Not a perfect country, but then again, who can name one that is???

As for symbols, I know who I am and what I am.

I do not need a "symbol" to identify myself.

I like your quote.... I agree whole heartedly and the people that come to mind are blacks, gays, and natives!! Why do they feel it necessary to show it off? Why is there a "Gay Pride Parade"??

I suppose I could tell you something about how people traditionally marginalized and repressed because of their identities use the assertion of that identity as a means of standing up to repression and marginalization. That's why all the breats beating by straight white males about the double-standard in identity politics rings so hollow: for all intents and purposes, straight white males still run the world.

I've no doubt that some straight white males are oppressed: but I would challenge the notion that they are victims of "reverse discrimination" or some such. In such cases, the root of th eproblem is class and economics, not race, gender or sexual orientation. In other words, the people who claim that gays, women, immigrants and what have you are the source of all their ills are barking up the wrong tree.

I suppose I could tell you something about how people traditionally marginalized and repressed because of their identities use the assertion of that identity as a means of standing up to repression and marginalization. That's why all the breats beating by straight white males about the double-standard in identity politics rings so hollow: for all intents and purposes, straight white males still run the world.

I've no doubt that some straight white males are oppressed: but I would challenge the notion that they are victims of "reverse discrimination" or some such. In such cases, the root of th eproblem is class and economics, not race, gender or sexual orientation. In other words, the people who claim that gays, women, immigrants and what have you are the source of all their ills are barking up the wrong tree.

HAHAHA LMAO!!!!

BD, sometimes when you talk, it looks like this....

njvfieohjuewohvjewojfdsfwfhbeovheovjewvjvjwiu

hfuijnvjiorh3uivo3jivnjfssdfjulio3eujivo

3jvojfio3vjfio3vjo3jh78678t7fesdavfo3jfov3jovo3

Are you bored at work or something? You sampling again?

That's good, (traditionally marginalized and repressed).

Sorry, my weird sense of humor again, carry on....

It's the Maple Leaf.

That thing's a piece of junk. It has historical and geographical significance to only a relatively small elite in a relatively small area of the country. It's a lousy symbol for the country as a whole.

-k

It's the Maple Leaf.

That thing's a piece of junk. It has historical and geographical significance to only a relatively small elite in a relatively small area of the country. It's a lousy symbol for the country as a whole.

-k

It's not their fault if a small fraction of the country refuses to embrace it.

It's the Maple Leaf.

-k

It's not their fault if a small fraction of the country refuses to embrace it.

There is only 1 problem with the Red Ensign, the British Coat of Arms in the top left. Even then, I still use that over the maple leaf any day. A symbol now completely corrupted and taken over by the Liberal party. Real Canadians fought and died for our old flag, and for that I respect it... what has our new flag represented other than the downfall of Canada's greatness and a dynasty of Liberal corruption?

I used to fly the flag on my pole in front of my business. After 2 years it started to get a bit tattered and some idiot gets me on the phone and rants and raves about defacing Canadian pride and what kind of idiot am I etc.

Must have been some liberal know it all. Anyway, all it got me was no flag on the pole.

Canadian eh? I'm going to replace it with the Republic of Western Canada flag, which isn't a real state, so I can't get charged with treason.

There is only 1 problem with the Red Ensign, the British Coat of Arms in the top left. Even then, I still use that over the maple leaf any day. A symbol now completely corrupted and taken over by the Liberal party. Real Canadians fought and died for our old flag, and for that I respect it... what has our new flag represented other than the downfall of Canada's greatness and a dynasty of Liberal corruption?
(The maple leaf's) use as a Canadian symbol dates back as far as the 1700s, when the English, Scottish, and Irish populations in Canada would all display their national plant at certain gatherings. Individuals with only a distant affiliation to their country of origin and wishing to be considered Canadians, began wearing the maple leaf.

The maple leaf slowly caught on as a national symbol: in 1868, it was included in the coat of arms of both Ontario and Quebec, and was added to the Canadian coat of arms in 1921. In 1867, Alexander Muir composed the patriotic The Maple Leaf Forever, which became an unofficial anthem in English-speaking Canada. From 1876 until 1901, the leaf appeared on all Canadian coins, and remained on the penny after 1901. During the First and Second World Wars, the leaf was widely used as a regimental symbol. The maple leaf finally became the central national symbol with the intoduction of the Canadian flag in 1965, which uses a highly-stylized eleven-pointed maple leaf, refering to no specific species of maple.

-wikipedia

Canadian eh? I'm going to replace it with the Republic of Western Canada flag, which isn't a real state, so I can't get charged with treason.

You can't get charged for treason for flying a state flag. You could be convicted of obnoxiousness, though...

I used to fly the flag on my pole in front of my business. After 2 years it started to get a bit tattered and some idiot gets me on the phone and rants and raves about defacing Canadian pride and what kind of idiot am I etc.

Must have been some liberal know it all. Anyway, all it got me was no flag on the pole.

LoL ditto, but I have yet to find a Republic of Western Canadian flag that doesn't look like someone barfed it up... once someone actually puts some effort into making a good flag, I will glady fly it.

(The maple leaf's) use as a Canadian symbol dates back as far as the 1700s, when the English, Scottish, and Irish populations in Canada would all display their national plant at certain gatherings. Individuals with only a distant affiliation to their country of origin and wishing to be considered Canadians, began wearing the maple leaf.

The maple leaf slowly caught on as a national symbol: in 1868, it was included in the coat of arms of both Ontario and Quebec, and was added to the Canadian coat of arms in 1921. In 1867, Alexander Muir composed the patriotic The Maple Leaf Forever, which became an unofficial anthem in English-speaking Canada. From 1876 until 1901, the leaf appeared on all Canadian coins, and remained on the penny after 1901. During the First and Second World Wars, the leaf was widely used as a regimental symbol. The maple leaf finally became the central national symbol with the intoduction of the Canadian flag in 1965, which uses a highly-stylized eleven-pointed maple leaf, refering to no specific species of maple.

-wikipedia

If you would look at the Red Ensign you would realize it DOES have the maple leaf =p Along with other symbols.

If you would look at the Red Ensign you would realize it DOES have the maple leaf =p Along with other symbols.

I'm aware of that. How, then, does your affection for the Red Ensign square with your statement that the maple leaf is "now completely corrupted and taken over by the Liberal party"?

-wikipedia

You can't get charged for treason for flying a state flag. You could be convicted of obnoxiousness, though...

You already have, a few times. That's why I like you so much. :lol:

I'm aware of that. How, then, does your affection for the Red Ensign square with your statement that the maple leaf is "now completely corrupted and taken over by the Liberal party"?

I said the current FLAG is completely corrupted and taken over by the Liberal party, read my post =p

It's the Maple Leaf.

Kimmy, from what I understand, the various species of maple leaf trees only grow in central Canada. I think birch trees grow everywhere in Canada, and blueberries are specifically Canadian.
There is only 1 problem with the Red Ensign, the British Coat of Arms in the top left. Even then, I still use that over the maple leaf any day. A symbol now completely corrupted and taken over by the Liberal party.
Hawk, the red Maple Leaf from the beginning was a symbol of the Liberal Party.
BD, once again, gets the right comment (IMV).

But then BD is also capable of analytical mumbo-jumbo victimhood nonsense. "My Mom never really liked me." rabble is filled with the same angst.
HAHAHA LMAO!!!!

BD, sometimes when you talk, it looks like this....

njvfieohjuewohvjewojfdsfwfhbeovheovjewvjvjwiu

hfuijnvjiorh3uivo3jivnjfssdfjulio3eujivo

3jvojfio3vjfio3vjo3jh78678t7fesdavfo3jfov3jovo3

Uh, I think I agree, crazymf. Maybe.

My father left home at twelve years of age. By eighteen he had saved and paid cash for his first farm. He gave that farm to his parents and moved them from Quebec to Ontario because English were not treated well in Quebec even way back then.

A few years later his lumberjacking work earned enough that he paid cash for a farm for himself. He married and eventually bought another farm to increase his acreage..

My dad has always been my hero.

Am I proud of my heritage, sure I am. My great grandfather was a Southern American slave owner who was as big politically as you could get. Am I ashamed of him. Nope. He lived according to the beliefs of the times.

I am glad they migrated North after the civil war though, into a country with real morals, real people who live by their hearts.

History is our heritage. Some good, some not so good. Being proud or ashamed is time wasted. Just love your family and country for what they are.

Sir Chauncy