Layton lacks ability to govern rationally.

shoop

Economy 101 Jackie, a few players in a market would be an oligopoly.

Hahahaha. That was pretty funny when I read that.

Bashing big oil companies gets you play no matter where you are. The Republican AG who is running for governor here in Florida was doing the same thing not too long ago.

Dear August1991,

Layton is going to lose the green-granola vote if he goes in this direction.
I doubt it, for he could never carry it out, even if he tried. The granola vote would love to see some heat on the 'colluding oil companies'. Besides, everyone knows (or almost everyone suspects) that the oil companies have to be in collusion, or they would 'act like a market', and someone would try to cut production or delivery costs and have 'the best prices in town'. But no one does. The record profits (most of the oil being sold today was purchased at $40 or less/bbl) will continue as long as the 'oil companies' all hang together( because they fear they might all hang seperately).

Layton is going to lose the green-granola vote if he goes in this direction.

That's OK... because most granola is almond coloured... or straw coloured. Green granola never really got popular, so I don't think Layton will mind losing that small sector...

PS. Read Toro's post, just below yours... It might help you understand the logic behind Layton's statement.....

Another BS thread. Jack Layton has a PhD. I doubt very much he would have said that the oil industry is a monopoly. Another drive-by smearing attempt.  Maybe  one of the conditions before people post here is that they learn how to read.  :lol:

Another personal attack. Another example of blatantly disregarding the rules for posting in the forum. Another example of Mirror getting to attack people with impunity. Another example of Mirror sticking his foot in his mouth, which will be ignored when he is proven wrong, yet again.

From the above-mentioned Globe and Mail article.

"We effectively have a monopoly in the sector, a very small number of very large companies that are setting the prices," Mr. Layton said.

Actually Jack that would be an oligopoly. You think you would have figured out what you are describing in earning that PhD. :lol:

"We effectively have a monopoly in the sector, a very small number of very large companies that are setting the prices," Mr. Layton said.

Actually Jack that would be an oligopoly. You think you would have figured out what you are describing in earning that PhD

He said EFFECTIVELY :rolleyes: ... not ARE a monopoly. Firms in a Olgopoly situation can collude and act as a monopoly... the point I think Mr Layton was trying to make.

(lol mirror you beat me in posting B) )

Layton proves complete lack of understanding of macroeconomics.

How many billions of dollars would such an investigation cost Jack? Couldn't the money be better spent on social programs?

Uh, billions? I think that's a bit... high an estimate.

I'm quite sure there's collusion between the oil companies, and equally sure an investigation would be a waste of time, like all those which came before. Investigations consist of asking oil company executives "uhm, so, do you and the others have price agreements?" and them saying "Nope." You certainly aren't going to uncover any documents or memos between them talking about price fixing and gouging the consumer. Anyway, these oil people stick together. We tried interupting the system by buying our own oil company, but we had to staff it with oil people, and they acted exactly as they do in private oil companies, working to maximize their profits. Petro-Canada did nothing to ease high gas prices and never tried to.

Another BS thread. Jack Layton has a PhD. I doubt very much he would have said that the oil industry is a monopoly. Another drive-by smearing attempt.  Maybe  one of the conditions before people post here is that they learn how to read.  :lol:

Grant Devine has an MBA, a M.Sc. and a Ph.D.

What is Layton's Ph.D.?

Toro.....I know that jack Layton is a respected scholar. Here I hope this helps:

Layton has been a city councillor, a respected scholar with a PhD from York University, the president of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, a university professor, the chair of the Toronto Board of Health, an author and a small business owner. Fluently bilingual, he’s a believer in practical, principled solutions that make a real difference. And government, he says, can be a creative part of those solutions.

“I don’t accept old thinking that says we have to choose between creating jobs and prosperity or protecting our planet,” Layton says. “I’ve helped create environmental solutions that create jobs.”

Born in Montreal in 1950, Layton grew up in the small town of Hudson, Quebec. His education in public service and personal integrity started at home; his grandfather resigned a provincial cabinet post on a point of principle, his father was a Conservative MP and his parents poured countless hours into volunteer work. His great-grandfather was a blind activist who, with his wife, led the campaign for disability pensions for blind people in the 1930s.

As a McGill University student, Layton fought successfully to build student housing co-ops — the beginning of an enduring passion for affordable housing for all. Inspired by NDP Leader Tommy Douglas’s courageous stand for human rights during the October Crisis, he joined the NDP in 1970.

Layton went on to study foreign investment and public policy at York University, earning a PhD in 1984. He would go on to teach at three universities, most recently as adjunct professor at the University of Toronto’s Department of Geography.

Soon after he arrived in Toronto, Layton began organizing a community-based municipal movement to put power back into the hands of everyday people. “The right wing claims that people are hostile to government, period,” he says. “But they’re wrong. What people object to is government that isn’t working for them, doesn’t listen and isn’t on their side.

“Governments that come up with innovative, practical solutions that meet people’s needs: they’re the ones that earn public support.”

Voters sent Jack Layton to Toronto City Council six times, giving him over two decades of experience in one of Canada’s largest governments. Working in a balanced budget context, he became known as a problem solver and leader who combines a principled, compassionate vision with a practical outlook.

The answer to the question:

What is Layton's Ph.D.?

Political Science

His PhD thesis dealt with globalization.

We had a guy with a degree in political science working for us last year. After 10 months unemployed he was delighted to take a temp job doing photocopies and opening mail.

Shoulda gone to work for the NDP instead.

Big huile says "Nope, no collusion". Gee, what a surprise!  :lol:
I find the constant harping about 'fixed' gas prices defies logic. If there was really collusion between the big players then you would expect to see steady, gradually increasing prices - something that would not get the attention of the media and politicians. What we have is dramatic price swings that can take the price of gas down as quickly as it goes up. The behavior of the gasoline marketplace behaves more like the stock market where simultaneous but independent decisions by different players can cause big shifts. Did the stock market bubble in the late nineties occur because of 'collusion' among the big brokers? What about the subsequent crash in 2001-2002?

If this issue was coming up for the first time then I would agree that it would be worth looking at, however, generations of politicians with axes to grind have gone after the oil companies and have never found any evidence.

I have seen on a regular basis gas stations change their price perhaps 3 or 4 times in one day, and often the change is 10 or more cents a litre. And then once one does it they all do it. This is nuts.

Our national government needs to intevene and force some stability in the prices.

If we have a surplus of oil in Canada there should be two prices, one domestic and one for exports so that all Canadians are somehow benefiting. If our oil importers don't like that then they can go elsewhere to purchase our oil, as I am sure there is a long line up of countries waitng to buy our oil. And if the oil companies don't like that policy then tough, they should get out of doing business in Canada.

This is happening because too many people want their cake and eat it too. They want high returns on their stocks and cheap prices at the pumps...but it doesn't work that way...it's the lack of compromising that is the problem, everyone wants it all and no one want's to give it up....

Our national government needs to intevene and force some stability in the prices.
Yeah right. so you want the gov't to collude with teh oil companies to keep prices artifically high.
If we have a surplus of oil in Canada there should be two prices, one domestic and one for exports so that all Canadians are somehow benefiting.
How do you make a living? Do you actually work? How would you feel if someone told you that you have to sell your product for less to Canadians than what you could make by selling it to Americans? You might be altruistic but most people are not willing to see their livelihood sacrificed for the benefit of all.

You might have an argument if oil was like trees - just lying around waiting for someone to scoop it up. However, all of Canada's oil reserves are commercially viable because of private sector investment into the technologies necessary to get it out of the ground. This is especially true with oil-sands oil. These companies deserve to earn profits on the resource that would have been worthless otherwise.

If (and its a big if) the Canadian gov't wants to provide Canadians with a break on the cost of fuel then it should reduce taxes on gas or provide fuel tax credits. The costs of these measures would be borne equally by all citizens and companies and not heaped on the shoulders of the few.

Layton proves complete lack of understanding of macroeconomics.

How many billions of dollars would such an investigation cost Jack? Couldn't the money be better spent on social programs?

It is so much easier to propose actions with no chance of forming the government.

Economy 101 Jackie, a few players in a market would be an oligopoly.

Layton has to be the biggest a hole hypocrit going.

It was the ndp who put the liberals up to the NEP and led to the government running around at the time buying up the assets of oil companies to form petro can. Now layton has the nerve to complain about monopoly. Unbelievable.

I find the constant harping about 'fixed' gas prices defies logic. If there was really collusion between the big players then you would expect to see steady, gradually increasing prices - something that would not get the attention of the media and politicians. What we have is dramatic price swings that can take the price of gas down as quickly as it goes up.
In my neighbourhood, it was about $0.60/litre last year... Let me know if it dips into that region in your neighbourhood.... It'll be worth the drive to fill the tank in your neighbourhood if that's the case...
If this issue was coming up for the first time then I would agree that it would be worth looking at, however, generations of politicians with axes to grind have gone after the oil companies and have never found any evidence.
So there's no collusion... You've put my mind to rest...