The "Can't we all just get along?" Thread

It came to my attention that the level of debate on this board is progressively getting worse the closer that we come to elections, and I am more than willing to accept my share of the blame for that. I feel passionatly for what I believe in and since I'm a sarcastic S.O.B. often times that leads to me proving my point using said sarcasm.

So I'd like, if it's humanly possible, to see if we can build some bridges in this thread. So if you want to argue that's cool, but do it in PM or in another thread is all I ask.

So I'll get started.

- I believe that Canada is the greatest country in the world.

Can we at least agree on that? :D

I consider myself a patriotic Canadian, but I won't simply jump on the 'greatest' bandwagon because I think a more nuanced understanding is preferable. 

Here's a subjective stance that I'll subscribe to instead:  On an ongoing basis, Canada is the country I willingly and gratefully accept as mine, above all others.

I think he was hoping for some rostrums. :D

-k

I've actually been amazed at the level of cordiality displayed, considering the debate that rages here (although this is the first post I've read today - perhaps I'm speaking too soon). But I will agree with you, Scott, that Canada is the greatest country, despite all our problems and discord.

Greatest country? Compared to what? By what criteria?

The problem with our political discourse is that evryone ha stheir own ideas of what makes "our" country "great". Some measure economic success. OIthers military might. Still others prefer to look at how as a society treat the less fortunate at home and abroad.

I don't think rousing nationalist sentiment is a substitute for a rigorous policy debate. I expect the former from beer commercials and the latter from those who are suppossed to be governing.

Greatest country? Compared to what? By what criteria?

The problem with our political discourse is that evryone ha stheir own ideas of what makes "our" country "great". Some measure economic success. OIthers military might. Still others prefer to look at how as a society treat the less fortunate at home and abroad.

I don't think rousing nationalist sentiment is a substitute for a rigorous policy debate. I expect the former from beer commercials and the latter from those who are suppossed to be governing.

Ok, let me try something else, because if humanly possible I want us to agree on something, so here goes:

The surface of the sun is hot.

....discuss!

It came to my attention that the level of debate on this board is progressively getting worse the closer that we come to elections, and I am more than willing to accept my share of the blame for that. I feel passionatly for what I believe in and since I'm a sarcastic S.O.B. often times that leads to me proving my point using said sarcasm.
Since you only joined this board, uh, two days ago, I find your opinion about the level of debate somewhat premature - unless you meant it as a threat.

But to pick up on your point, one has to say that Stephen Harper is the most controversial person or "issue" in Canada right now.

On this forum or elsewhere, he is the source of controversy. Needless to say, this is not an issue in Quebec.

Since you only joined this board, uh, two days ago, I find your opinion about the level of debate somewhat premature - unless you meant it as a threat.

Well first of all, just because I joined two days ago doesn't mean I was born two days ago. Secondly I don't threaten people, so I'm sorry if you felt threatend, it wasn't intentional.

And thirdly I'm pretty young so I'm just wondering what your name means? What happened in August of 1991?

So I'd like, if it's humanly possible, to see if we can build some bridges in this thread. So if you want to argue that's cool, but do it in PM or in another thread is all I ask.

So I'll get started.

- I believe that Canada is the greatest country in the world.

Can we at least agree on that? :D

We all want a better country, we just have vastly different opinions on how to achieve that.

Secondly I don't threaten people, so I'm sorry if you felt threatend, it wasn't intentional.
My reference to a "threat" was, I guess, sarcastic.

I think I wrote my first letter to a newspaper when I was about 13 or so. If memory serves, the style was awkward (I compared the US to a giant cement mixer) but I was polite.

As to my moniker, read this.