Astronomy

A lot of astronomy I do is more cosmology.

Distribution of Population II stars in our galactic core was a project I did for Celestia.

Minor moon orbits for Orbiter. That sorta stuff.

Cruising past a double black hole.

Cel3.thumb.jpg.7a1747a4591385bfacc9c41f717b16a3.jpg

Cel1.thumb.jpg.8915e2f91307b313f51d06e623912b0c.jpgCel2.thumb.jpg.11b5fede1d472edd3e6001817fa89498.jpg

Cel5.thumb.jpg.78b84d6723388614a748bfa7d93b17c8.jpgCel4.thumb.jpg.c6a910c83b9b124de44f3421e7712326.jpg

Cel6.thumb.jpg.d9ab6cde48e671dd0496d95d14da1941.jpgCel7.thumb.jpg.3037f2175f52d65ff45f671e974f83fa.jpg

Edited by DogOnPorch

On 11/4/2018 at 10:39 PM, JamesHackerMP said:

What exactly do you all like to look at? preferred objects?

The list Bonam gave is pretty close to my faves, star clusters galaxies...and I like looking for sunlit mountain peaks and shadowed craters along the moons terminator.  Orion's Belt is pretty interesting too. 

Edited by eyeball

6 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

what's in Orion's belt? I haven't given that area much of a look-see.

There is a lot going on in the entire Orion Molecular Cloud Complex, including the belt star Alnitak where the Horsehead and Flame nebula can be easily seen with a 6" SCT.

Here is the entire Orion Complex...some objects are very large and require dark skies and/or filters to see visually.

330px-Orion_Head_to_Toe.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

There is a lot going on in the entire Orion Molecular Cloud Complex, including the belt star Alnitak where the Horsehead and Flame nebula can be easily seen with a 6" SCT.

Here is the entire Orion Complex...some objects are very large and require dark skies and/or filters to see visually.

330px-Orion_Head_to_Toe.jpg

Sweet photo...yours?

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Sweet photo...yours?

Not mine....it is a well known broadband and narrowband composite (Robert Gendler ?) of many nebula in the Orion Complex.   For instance, the Witch Head nebula in the lower right corner is painfully dim and difficult to image compared to the much brighter Messier 42, Angelfish or Barnard's Loop.

This is how it looks as a stack of raw DSLR images (mine) with a hydrogen alpha narrowband (NB) filter from last spring...we use NB filters to beat the growing problem of light pollution.

Orion_Complex_50mm_T6i_Ha.thumb.jpg.ad3dbffa1623b86d7eb1bfc9b2198265.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Not mine....it is a well known broadband and narrowband composite (Robert Gendler ?) of many nebula in the Orion Complex.   For instance, the Witch Head nebula in the lower right corner is painfully dim and difficult to image compared to the much brighter Messier 42, Angelfish or Barnard's Loop.

This is how it looks as a stack of raw DSLR images (mine) with a hydrogen alpha narrowband (NB) filter from last spring...we use NB filters to beat the growing problem of light pollution.

Orion_Complex_50mm_T6i_Ha.thumb.jpg.ad3dbffa1623b86d7eb1bfc9b2198265.jpg

It's full of stars!

My favorite is the Witch Head...which looks like a witch either way you flip 'er. Staring at Rigel...huge blue/white disc almost imaginable. 

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

It's full of stars!

My favorite is the Witch Head...which looks like a witch either way you flip 'er. Staring at Rigel...huge blue/white disc almost imaginable. 

Indeed....Orion is arguably the biggest fave for winter and spring for many observers because it has so many objects.

I'm surprised there is no movement yet to ban all the sexist names...like "Witch Head" nebula, or "Witch's Broom" in the Veil Nebula.

• Haha 1

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Damn...graphics look fantastic.   Does it take as much hard drive space as Microsoft Flight Simulator ?   :lol:

It's compiled in machine language...so actually very very small next to some behemoth installs. Fancy textures will take some room.

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

It's compiled in machine language...so actually very very small next to some behemoth installs. Fancy textures will take some room.

Really...all assembly language ?    Don't see that much anymore.   Makes for better performance too.  

I recall that you schooled us on Lagrange points some years ago....probably part of Orbiter, no doubt ?

Really...all assembly language ?    Don't see that much anymore.   Makes for better performance too.  

I recall that you schooled us on Lagrange points some years ago....probably part of Orbiter, no doubt ?

Tricky targets but spots of equilibrium...did I rant on?

Get my sales hat on...

Orbiter prides itself on realism and accuracy. Most newbs are in for a confusing time.

There's a Saturn V/Apollo with full cockpit for both craft and working DSKY for the extra crusty math types.

But here's a good craft to play with...the Ravenstar.

https://www.alteaaerospace.com/

Edited by DogOnPorch

No...I forget the context.    Does Orbiter keep track of remaining fuel / hydrazine propellant for burns, or is it just pure orbital physics with unlimited resources.

There's a 'god mode'...but yes...you bet.

3 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

The Arrow from the first site I posted (sound) also a keeper.

Some files are hard to find these days it seems...some sites down...let me know if you need anything; I'll mediafire it.

I will download Orbiter 2016 tonight on a Win10 laptop...hope it is Windows 10 compatible !